FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with Vista... again!

Urban
Hello! I think this is my third post about the problems I am experiencing with Vista but this time, I searching EVERYWHERE and I'm sick of this ******* crap.

So let's start, I got a pretty good computer at xmas and it was coming with Vista installed on it. I got 3GB of RAM and a 2.2 Dual Core processor from Intel. So there's my problem : My computer is lagging every 30 seconds (this is the average time, it could be every 1 minute, it's always different). It's lagging everything, if I list a song, the song will play in "slow motion" for 0.5 second, same with videos and etc. I am also a big gamer, I love online shooters and I normaly play everyday. Since I have Vista, I can't play anymore, I still have a great ping (9 in most us server and I'm from Canada!) but every 30 seconds, I lag, my game freeze, simple as that. Every 30 seconds I die, I play a zombie game? I won't freeze if it's clear, I will freeze WHEN I will meet the damn zombie! Vista makes me sick, I searched everywhere on the web and I found dozen of problems like me but nothing is helping. I could maybe update my BIOS but I don't know if it would really help since my computer is in someway new. All my drivers are up to date and I tried to set my anti-virus/firewall on off, nothing is changing. By the way, I am using Avast Home Edition.

Just to show you how much I want this problem to be solved, I would really pay 100$ (It's a lot for a 16 years old) if someone could solve this problem, I WOULD but if any of you can solve it for free, of course it would make my life easier Razz

Oh and also, sometime, I get really BAD lag, I'm ingame and suddently, my ping is going up to 1000 and my game crash, it's not staying, after 1 or 2 minutes my ping get back to his normal rate..

Ask me whatever you want (to be able to solve my problems, like more specs, infos, logs, etc), I will reply asap with all you need but PLEASE, PPPLEAAASE help me, why can't my computer just work correctly Sad

Processor : 2.2 Dual Core Intel, E4500
RAM : 3GB (2x1, 2x512)
HD : 400 GB SATA
Graphic Card : 8500 GT (I know it's not the best but I plan to buy this 8800!)
Soundcard : It's a Realtek one..
Security : Avast Home Edition + Windows Firewall

Others : I disabled the UAC (The crap always asking you if you allow or not to do something)
McAfee Uninstalled, I was bored of their registration spam and Avast is still better.
Memory usage : About 1 gb, even when I'm playing..

Thanks ALOT for your times and I wish you'll be able to help me, as I said, I did my best to solve it by myself but now I just don't know what to do.. thanks in advance
Wink
kansloos
I have 2 tiny questions:
Did you have this problem from the start when you received your PC?
Did you try to disable all of Vista's nice and shiny effects?
Urban
I always got problems with Vista, so I'd say yes.. But if you know how much I would hate to return and get a new one Sad That's why I try everything to solve the problems, just to be sure to not return it for nothing..!

I have Vista Home Premium, there's no nice and shiny effects. (This only come with Vista Ultimate)
Jaan
What game are you trying to play and it lags? If its new, video card is the problem.
Audio wise: more details. you start a song in windows media player, and it lags for 5 seconds, then is normal???

Try using foobar 2000 or VLC to play it and tell what happens.

also, tell us what programs you're using.

I'd also recommend installing/running spybot S&D regularly.

you can try killing all processes you don't need, ctrlaltdel then processes> select and press del on all of them, if they come back, its either AV or can't be stopped.

see how low you can get the processes and then try playing.

himmeback, AITE?
Urban
It's doing this in every game, I actually play Counter-Strike Source because I am less mad when I am getting killed when I'm lagging in this game than when I am about to backstab somebody in TF2.

No, I start a song in WMP and it's not lagging at all, if I watch a video on youtube, it will lag every 0.5 second (half a second), the same thing happen in game and make the game freeze 2 or 3 seconds.

I use foobar2000 and it's the same.

My internet browser is Mozilla Firefox, I use Steam for my games and Avast/Ad-Aware for my computer security.. I also use Windows Live Messenger.. ImageShack Plug-in "QuickShot".. Well I use a lot of programs but they aren't the type of program to take a lot of RAM or to lag a computer.. Winrar.. etc AND BitComet but I always close it when I'm using my computer - this is not the problem.

I'm sure it's not a virus, I never get viruses except really rare exceptions, I know what I'm downloading and I'm not the kind of guy that go on not-so-secure website..

I do kill all the processes I don't need, change nothing.

As I said, everything is lagging, I read a post on another forum talking about the Event Viewer, I still got alot of error from this and the guy of this forum was saying that when the Event Viewer was reporting the error into it console, it was making his computer slow down - I deleted it, still lagging..

I seriously tried everything, I must have searching for over 20 hours, no exageration.
Jaan
Seriously, kill ALL processes. you should be able to get down to around 30 processes.
You could try defragmenting your hard drive, that causes stutters sometimes. Try re-installing or rolling back drivers.

But I don't know much at all about computers, that's just my 0.2 cents.
czc587
As a simple test unplug you ethernet from the wall, then disable your anti-virus and your firewall and see if it makes a difference ?

Be sure to turn them back on before you plug back in Smile
Urban
Already tried, keep lagging.. Confused
ssthanapati
uninstall vista and install XP Smile

That wud solve ur problem. If that dosent work u can always revert it back 2 vista using ur cd
UnholyIntention
I have had a few problems with vista working, If it is a dell or a company made your computer they like to think they can make better video drivers then the people that make video cards.. So you may want to go back to the Nvidia site and download the latest drivers.. If that does not work do a search over Google on the problem you have been having usually there is an answer out there
Urban
The lag problem is solved, don't ask me how, it's just not lagging anymore.

I got a new theory on Vista, basicaly, Vista will work fine if you put your computer in a dark and cold room, Vista hates the sun so Vista decide to lag to punish you. Vista is like a virtual animal, you must take care of it if not it will die and your computer will crash.

Ultimate Rule : NEVER SHUT IT DOWN, remember, you CAN'T shut it down, it's working like the RESET button on Tamagotshi and will reset all your setting, disabling your connection, uninstall your drivers, etc!

By the way, thanks for the answers Razz
snowynight
Vista IS an os and not a boy needing taking care of. Rolling Eyes
I am using vista Ultimate myself(the background or desktop movie being the turtle, are yours?) on a machine lower(in everyting) than yours. But it works fine. I CAN shut it down or make it sleep as i like.
so if it WAS your problem and was solved automatically, i can tell you that your problem still exists.
Try to reinstall it, or you will meet the difficulty again any day. Or use the sfc.exe to get your vista back to normal.
mzungu
Hi. I also have problems with vista...almost daily. My computer also will be ok then suddenly for no apparent reason, it will lag and everything freeze for half a minute or so every now and then. When it happens, I need to restart my pc then its ok until the next time. It can happen anytime...not really a steady pattern to when it happens.
I have Vista home premium X64.

Asus Rampage Formula
8 gigs of ddr2 1066 ram.
seagate sata ll 500 gigs
Evga geforce gtx 260 896 mb ram
Intel Q 9450 2.66 Ghz

I am considering re installing XP Professional 32 bit
I didnt have problems with it.
I hope windows 7 is an improvement over Vista
Urban
mzungu wrote:
Hi. I also have problems with vista...almost daily. My computer also will be ok then suddenly for no apparent reason, it will lag and everything freeze for half a minute or so every now and then. When it happens, I need to restart my pc then its ok until the next time. It can happen anytime...not really a steady pattern to when it happens.
I have Vista home premium X64.

Asus Rampage Formula
8 gigs of ddr2 1066 ram.
seagate sata ll 500 gigs
Evga geforce gtx 260 896 mb ram
Intel Q 9450 2.66 Ghz

I am considering re installing XP Professional 32 bit
I didnt have problems with it.
I hope windows 7 is an improvement over Vista

I've found the problem! It's called Zero Service, from what I've understood, exactly every minute, Vista is scanning to find the best wireless connection (I don't know why but it's like this) so every minute, your computer is lagging until Zero Service finish the "scan". On XP, it was possible to disable this service but not on Vista. It's only happening when you are using a Wireless Network Adapter so I've solve my problem by installing a very long Ethernet cable and making some holes.

Oh and nice computer, since this post I've upgraded mine (gtx260, dual 3.0 and 4gb 800). Just curious, why buying 8 gb 1066 ram?

Edit: If you get XP 32 bit, it will only support about 3gb of ram.
mzungu
Thanks for the info on the lagging problem with Vista.
I had 4 gigs of ram then decided since it was not too expensive to add another 4 gigs. I do some work that uses ram and money is no problem for me so I bought more.
I have window xp 32 bit installed on another hard drive and see that it is not recognizing all the ram, so I may take out 4 gigs and just build another computer and use that ram.

Thanks again.

Rob
Ghost Rider103
mzungu wrote:
Thanks for the info on the lagging problem with Vista.
I had 4 gigs of ram then decided since it was not too expensive to add another 4 gigs. I do some work that uses ram and money is no problem for me so I bought more.
I have window xp 32 bit installed on another hard drive and see that it is not recognizing all the ram, so I may take out 4 gigs and just build another computer and use that ram.

Thanks again.

Rob

You'll still have 8GB. Your taskmanager will not recognize all 8GB, but on your task manager when you reach 4GB, you can actually still continue to use more. Your bar will be maxed out, and normally when that happens your computer will lag extremely bad, and will sometimes even crash, but you wont lag at all and can continue to use more RAM.

I actually tested it out. On my laptop I had 3GB, when I maxed that out I crashed. On my desktop I have 8, when my bar reached 4GB, I was still running smooth, and kept on going.

Back on topic:

If it happens again, if you haven't done so already, try a defragmentation. I had a similar problem with one of my computers on XP, and that seemed to solve my problem.
vivekcentral
My laptop (with Windows Vista) crashes a lot. I have no idea why it is crashing. Is there anything I can do to stop it from crashing? I have Windows Vista Home Premium. The specs on my laptop are:

General

* Built-in Devices Stereo speakers , Wireless LAN antenna
* Width 14.3 in
* Depth 10.6 in
* Height 1.5 in
* Weight 5.7 lbs
* Localization United States
* Notebook type Budget, Thin-and-light (4-6 lbs.)
* Screen type Wide-screen
* Wireless capabilities 802.11b, 802.11g

Processor

* Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-58 / 1.9 GHz
* Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
* 64-bit processor Yes
* Chipset type AMD M690V

Cache Memory

* Type L2 cache
* Cache size 1 MB

RAM

* Installed Size 1 GB / 4 GB (max)
* Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz
* Memory specification compliance PC2-5300

Environmental Parameters

* Environmental & energy standards compliance EPA Energy Star
* Min Operating Temperature 41 ?F
* Max Operating Temperature 95 ?F
* Humidity Range Operating 20 - 80%

Storage Controller

* Storage controller type Serial ATA/IDE
* Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150

Storage

* Floppy Drive None
* Hard Drive 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
* Hard drive type Portable

Optical Storage

* Type DVD?RW (?R DL) / DVD-RAM - Integrated
* CD / DVD read speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
* CD / DVD write speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD?R) / 4x (DVD?R DL)
* CD / DVD rewrite speed 10x (CD) / 4x (DVD?RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)

Optical Storage (2nd)

* 2nd optical storage type None

Card Reader

* Card reader type 5 in 1 card reader
* Supported flash memory cards Memory Stick , MultiMediaCard , SD Memory Card , XD-Picture Card , Memory Stick Pro

Display

* Display Type 15.4 in TFT active matrix
* Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
* Widescreen Display Yes
* Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
* Features TruBrite

Video

* Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon X1200
* Max Allocated RAM Size 319 MB

Audio

* Audio output type Sound card
* Audio output compliant standards High Definition Audio
* Audio Input Microphone

Notebook Camera

* Camera Type Integrated

Multimedia Functionality

* TV Tuner Type None

Input Device(s)

* Input device type Keyboard , Touchpad , Multimedia control panel

Telecom

* Modem Fax / modem

Networking

* Networking Network adapter
* Networking / Wireless LAN Supported Yes
* Data link protocol Ethernet , IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11g , Fast Ethernet
* Networking standards IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11g

Expansion / Connectivity

* Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 Memory , 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard
* Interfaces 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) , 1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11 , 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 , 1 x Display / video - S-video output , 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm , 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) , 4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A

Miscellaneous

* Compliant Standards CE , UL , CUL , R&TTE , TUV GS , UL 1950 , ACPI 1.0b , VESA DPMS , FCC Part 68 , VESA DDC/CI , FCC Part 15 B , Plug and Play , CSA 22.2 No. 950

Power

* Power device form factor External
* Voltage Required AC 120/230 V

Battery

* Technology Lithium ion
* Installed Qty 1
* Battery capacity 4000 mAh

Operating System / Software

* OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Thank you for any replies in advance. I really need my laptop to stop crashing
MarzEz
i agree with ssthanapati:
the one most simple way to fix all your problems with vista...
is to install XP.
i promise you, vista won't trouble you again if you install and use XP instead.
i have been using XP for years...
and will continue to do so until micro$oft releases a system better than vista. apparently, the new windows 7 should be good...
Kaseas
My suggestion is to re-install your system with the recovery discs provided (or the recovery partition) and next time don't install any crap on it, don't mess around with your system, install an antivirus, and see where that takes you.

My laptop:
3 gb ram
2.0 ghz core 2 duo
250 gb
integrated video

runs vista perfectly, runs CSS at 40 frames on medium-high settings.

It's not the Vista, it's not the hardware, it's all the extra crap you've installed.
babygeek
vista was known to be a non-starter, even before it came out. advised both my sisters not to buy laptops, pre-installed with vista (when they were looking for one) or if they have no choice, get the one which can downgrade back to xp (vista premium?/pro?). did the same when a good friend was seeking advice. they have followed my advice and never been happier.

I think vista was pushed out 'cos it was due to be out and hence, offered little advantages over xp but with all the disadvantages.

I second the opinion. sometimes, it's much easier for us, if we just stop making a non-workable thing work; best to get xp installed, for an easier life, rather than trying to make vista work. Smile