FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

subwoofer question.

Srs2388
Is there a way i can make a sub pick up lower lows?
I have a crappy box but a good speaker.
would it pick up lower lows in a big ported box?
I have this big sealed box and it's loud.. i tried to put it in a smaller box that was ported but it puts so much air out because the ports are kind of small.
Arno v. Lumig
Srs2388 wrote:
Is there a way i can make a sub pick up lower lows?
I have a crappy box but a good speaker.
would it pick up lower lows in a big ported box?
I have this big sealed box and it's loud.. i tried to put it in a smaller box that was ported but it puts so much air out because the ports are kind of small.

You could tune the sub by using a ported design, but the size of the port is very important! There are programs like WinISD that can simulate the frequency response of a speaker by the box size and by the ports.

What woofer do you have? What amp do you use? How big is the box (in liters)?
Srs2388
sorry i would have replied earlier but it wasn't showing a new reply.
I have a 12" memphis mojo 2000watts max 1000 watts RMS.
I have a 1000 watt full mosfet design.
the box i have is a big trunk box.. sealed.
Arno v. Lumig
Well, I guess you could just port the box (tune it around 30Hz or something).

Read this http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/LiveImages/112/38/DocumentURL2.pdf

There is something wrong with the specs, so I could not enter them into WinISD Pro, which means I can't simulate a ported box.
Srs2388
oh could i tune it any lower than 30hz?
godofreality
well you could tune it to lower than 30hz but however anything under 20hz is inaudible to human ears and the best sub frequency for bass vs. volume is 60hz anything under 60hz is gonna start to seem quieter also u may want to try a bandpass box my guess is that u would need a ported box with roughly and sorry but i have to use the american system for this like a 3 inch port and roughly i would say ur dimensions on the box itself should be around 24inches wideX18inchesX18inches deep no granted these are rough estimates on your box size because i am not using a program just general knowledge i have acquired over the years you may also want to try maybe a new head unit sometime your head unit can have a major affect on your sub's performance
sketchup
I would build a closed box.
A good sounding ported box is actually quite difficult to build, the length and diameter of the ports are really important.
Also, a closed box usually sounds better than a ported one.....I mean, a good vented box sounds better than a closed one, but a badly designed and tuned vented box sounds terrible (boomy) where a closed one mostly sounds ok, even if the size is not completely right.
Also, to build a good speakerbox, you need all the Thiele-Small parameters (Vas, Qte and that sort of parameters), if you don't have them, forget it.
WinISD is a good and free program.