FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want tabs and workspaces in Windows!

ptolomeo
Hello everybody. I have for a long time been a linux user. Now, for a number of reasons, I changed to windogs, but I feel not so comfortable for the following two reasons:

I dont have the so comfortable and helper workspaces

I dont have tabs workspaces

in particular I am using firefox because it has tabs. But I would use IE instead if it had them.
Do you know how to add tabs capabilities to IE. Is that possible?

Is it possible to add workspaces capabilities to windogs?

Thanks a ot for any help on that.
carlospro7
I don't think windows supports it. I'm not aware of any workspace capabilities in windows like in linux, or of any third party applications that do that for you. The closest thing I've come to it is having dual screen, but that's not the same thing at all.

IE7 has support for tabs like firefox, and previous versions of IE do not, but I don't know why you would need to switch to IE.
Psycho_X52
I never used Linux, so I don't know how Linux workspaces are...have you tried some 3D Cube Desktop?

If you want a tabbed IE browser, you can install Yahoo! Toolbar. But I'd recommend Avant Browser, because it uses IE6 engine, but it looks better, and has many options (likemnouse gesture...)
I'm now using Opera, startsup faster, loads pages faster, and I was able to customise it as I wanted Smile.
chartcentral
ptolomeo wrote:
in particular I am using firefox because it has tabs. But I would use IE instead if it had them.
Do you know how to add tabs capabilities to IE. Is that possible?

Internet Explorer 7 already supports tab. If for some reason you are using an earlier version, then I'd agree with Psycho_X52 that you install the Yahoo! Toolbar for some tab functionality. Smile
mcfearless
http://www.download.com/DesktopSwitcher/3000-2094_4-10798625.html?tag=lst-4

this might be what you are looking for.
hunnyhiteshseth
As already told by other users, for tabs either upgrade to IE7 or install Yahoo Toolbar in IE6

For workspaces, the most approximate solution is "Virtual Desktop"powertoy from microsoft website and yes its free for genuine windows users.
nisibdv
I also had this problem when I switched from linux to windogs, but after some time i got used to the untabbed, unworkspaced framework. What happend to me on linux was that I finished the day with nine workspaces and approximately thirty opened windows, but using only three or four. The windows working schema helped me on being more organised and to make more efficient use of the available resources.

Once you get used to it, you wont face the necesity of workspaces, as millions of users also dont have the need of them. workspaces represent a tool that if used without reponsability, they can put you in a big messy system problem.

I hope the best for you and hope also you find comfortable with your new framework soon.