FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lupe Fiasco

ddukki
Old school rap meets new school beats. This guy's refreshing after listening to the crap rap on the radio nowadays. I can't stand all the random beats and the non-original lyrics that come on mainstream. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "Lupe Fiasco's mainstream, too!" Well, not really. Sure, he's on the radio, but it has it's own sound. It's not dark or have that "gangsta gloom" like most gangsta rap, but he does say a whole lot about how the system isn't right.

If you've skipped that last paragraph, just know he's awesome. I believe he's said that his next album will be his last.

Tracks to listen to:
"The Instrumental"
"Kick, Push"
lethaltriad
Lupe is the only Hiphop i've been listening to lately.. His new album "The Cool" is a really good and consistent album. The lead track.. superstar is one of my favourite songs right now and he got some other good tracks like HipHop Saved My Life, Intruder Alert, High Definition. Pretty much I could list the whole album, really solid effort on his second album as was on his debut.
deStructuralized
Lupe's album is fantastic but you need to get over that mainstream vs underground kick

Mainstream is not a sound...mainstream describes a state of acceptance in socially codified media, i.e. the radio or major labels. Lupe is BY DEFINITION mainstream.

He's also very GOOD. lol.

A lot of mainstream stuff is terrible, but so's a lot of independent stuff. Solution is to turn off your mainstream channels...aka TV and radio...and learn to evaluate music with your own mind.

Hip Hop Saved My Life is without question my favorite jam on the record. There are also several misses, but they aren't bad enough to ruin the entire experience.
halflife268
My favorite song is He Say, She Say off his debut. Also, not all gangsta rap is bad. Listen to some of MC Eiht's songs. He's the true west coast innovator with Compton's Most Wanted, not NWA.
liljp617
Lupe is amazing. And I've said this all along...there is amazingly good music that comes from hiphop/rap if you simply look for it.
kicy
I wish I could make gangster gloom music, but it always turns technoish somehow...

Anyways Lupe is awesome but I wish they made Superstar (remix) a little more different like with the chorus because its kinda the same.
ddukki
deStructuralized wrote:
Lupe's album is fantastic but you need to get over that mainstream vs underground kick.
Gotten over. Laughing
j0yfuln0is3
lethaltriad wrote:
Lupe is the only Hiphop i've been listening to lately.. His new album "The Cool" is a really good and consistent album. The lead track.. superstar is one of my favourite songs right now and he got some other good tracks like HipHop Saved My Life, Intruder Alert, High Definition. Pretty much I could list the whole album, really solid effort on his second album as was on his debut.

Yup, I'm the same position as you, and the only hip hop I've ever enjoyed is Lupe's and Kanye West's music. I suppose the reason must be that its just different to the other hip hop you get.. although I'm not particularly sure how...
gabeos
I was so happy when he won a grammy! I feel like main-stream rap/hip-hop is finally becoming worthwhile again after years of hating 50 cent et al.
lethaltriad
yeah I hope he gets more and more recognition to encourage other artistes to produce better hiphop and stray away from the generic hiphop tracks being produced today just because it sells
sondosia
I've just discovered Superstar and LOVED it. What an amazing song. It says so much. I'm planning to check out the rest of that album now.