FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

mail()

golles
does the php mail() function work on frihost?

Code:
<?php
   mail$mail, $subject, $massage);
?>

I used that to simply sent myself an email, but didn't work...

anyway to get it to work? or I'm I doing something really stupid Embarassed

thanks alot
sonam
Quote:
<?php
mail($mail, $subject, $massage);
?>

On Frihost mail function working perfect. You are forget bracket.

Sonam
Possum
Hi

My Mail() works well on my site...'

mail($to,"Comments From Your Site",$message,"From: $email\n");

Cheers Possum..
coreymanshack
thanks, i couldnt remember if the mail function worked on frihost or not, i'll know if mine doesn't work it's an error in my syntax Very Happy
AOP Web Development
yeah.. no problem as mine
polly-gone
You uh.... forgot the parentheses.... otherwise mail works fine. My site is running it perfectly.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
coreymanshack
coreymanshack wrote:
thanks, i couldnt remember if the mail function worked on frihost or not, i'll know if mine doesn't work it's an error in my syntax Very Happy

My mail function worked!
traxion
way use the bad mail() if there is a opensource free libriry for mailing in PHP

PHPmailer is a prefect script where u can select any option u want to have in ure emails

from bcc,cc until extra files, html and alt html (if html is not support)

http://phpmailer.codeworxtech.com/ is the website
coreymanshack
traxion wrote:

PHPmailer is a prefect script where u can select any option u want to have in ure emails

Bad Mail? I'm sure you could create the same class yourself with a bit of time. It is the simple mail, the php mail() function.
fyzika
coreymanshack wrote:
traxion wrote:

Bad Mail? I'm sure you could create the same class yourself with a bit of time. It is the simple mail, the php mail() function.

I agree: PHPmailer is the best script.
LostOverThere
Mail(); doesn't work on my account at all. I've tried my own scripts, as well as other premade scripts and nothing works. Confused
Kelcey
I haven't tried using it yet. I'll give it a shot in a little bit.
infinisa
Hello All

I have the same problem as LostOverThere:
Quote:
Mail(); doesn't work on my account at all. I've tried my own scripts, as well as other premade scripts and nothing works.

mail() doesn't work for me either!

Why does mail() work for some Frihosters and not for others?
My website uses DirectAdmin hosting. Could it be that mail() works for Cpanel hosted sites but not for DirectAdmin hosted sites?

Please help to solve this important issue by testing mail() and report whether it works for you and whether you have Cpanel or DirectAdmin hosting.

P.S.: I really need to get mail() to work as I have installed an application (Moodle) that depends on sending mail (I'm not yet sure how!) to work properly.
infinisa
Hello All

I've not yet solved the mail() problem but I have got it under a microscope...

It turns out that mail() fails for me only when I try to mail my own domain, infinisa.com, which is hosted (web-wise, but not mail-wise) at Frihost (as infinisa.fri.net).

If I mail my regular gmail address (@gmail.com), mail() works fine.

So the problem seems to be that when I mail infinisa.com, the Frihost servers need to know that although the website is hosted at Frihost, the mail is hosted externally (using Google Apps, actually).

May be with this info, some good soul can sort this problem out for me. Wink
mathiaus
Check your email accounts under DA. If you have any, delete them.
infinisa
Hello All
Quote:
Check your email accounts under DA. If you have any, delete them.

I just have one email account in DirectAdmin, which is the main account where I receive cron job output and error messages.

If I try to delete this account, I get the error message:
Quote:
Unable to delete the main email account
Details
You cannot delete the account infinisa because it is linked to your system account

which is fair enough!

Further to my last post, I've noticed the same phenomenon in reverse:

I can send an e-mail to my infinisa.frih.net account from any e-mail account except infinisa.com.

Once again, it looks like the Frihost server thinks that the infinisa.com mail accounts are hosted locally, which they are not.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
mathiaus
Did you originally use Frihost and then move to google, and if so, how long ago?
infinisa
Hello mathiaus
Quote:
Did you originally use Frihost and then move to google, and if so, how long ago?

No, I never used Frihost for mail.

My domain, infinisa.com, is registered with Easyspace, and has been since October 2000. I initially used their web & mail hosting, but eventually found that better services were available for free.

I moved the mail to Google Apps in May 2007, web hosting to Frihost in June 2007 and finally DNS Record hosting to FreeDNS also in June 2007.

Hope this helps

By the way, here is the error message I get when I mail my infinisa.frih.net account from infinisa.com:
Quote:
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-Verification failed for <MyInfinisa.comEmailAddress>
550 Sender verify failed (state 14).

I have highlighted the part that appears to say what's going on, and I believe shows that the Frihost mailserver is confused about where infinisa.com mail is hosted.
infinisa
Hello again mathiaus

I thought my domain's DNS records might be relevant. Here they are:

Quote:
infinisa.com MX 1:aspmx.l.google.com
infinisa.com MX 5:alt1.aspmx.l.google.com
infinisa.com MX 5:alt2.aspmx.l.google.com
infinisa.com MX 10:aspmx2.googlemail.com
infinisa.com MX 10:aspmx3.googlemail.com
infinisa.com MX 10:aspmx4.googlemail.com
infinisa.com MX 10:aspmx5.googlemail.com
mail.infinisa.com CNAME ghs.google.com
www.infinisa.com URL http://www.infinisa.frih.net
mehulved
infinisa wrote:
My website uses DirectAdmin hosting. Could it be that mail() works for Cpanel hosted sites but not for DirectAdmin hosted sites?
Nothing like that. My site is on the second server, having DA but mails work find for me.
infinisa
Hello mehulved
Quote:
infinisa wrote:
Nothing like that. My site is on the second server, having DA but mails work find for me.

Thanks for your reply, but I've reached the conclusion that the mail() problem has nothing to do with which server one is using. in fact, I can mail() without problem except to my own domain!

My mail() problem is exclusively in communication between infinisa.frih.net (host on Frihost) and infinisa.com (hosted elsewhere), as per the following error message:
Quote:
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-Verification failed for <MyInfinisa.comEmailAddress>
550 Sender verify failed (state 14).

I'm still waiting for a solution, folks! Confused
infinisa
Hello Fihost Support

I've been waiting patiently for a fix to this problem since last June.

Any chance of one of you guys sorting it out?

A similar problem has arisen with receiving post notifications, which always worked fine until I cleared my Webmail mailbox on 24/10/2008. The solution I found to that problem was to provisionally change my profile e-mail address to a Gmail address. It seems to be another case of mail for infinisa.com getting "stuck" at Frihost, when in fact it is hosted elsewhere.

Please help.
Diablosblizz
Infinisa, post your code. Perhaps you have coded it wrong, not saying that you did but it may help us pinpoint the problem.
Aredon
Diablosblizz wrote:
Infinisa, post your code. Perhaps you have coded it wrong, not saying that you did but it may help us pinpoint the problem.
My thoughts exactly, more than likely you got some parameter switched around or spelled something wrong. There's a number of things that should be checked before we blame the host. Smile So if we could see the code that'd be great!
infinisa
Hello Diablosblizz and Aredon

The following code:
Code:
<?php

$to = "mike@infinisa.com ";
$subject = "Test mail";
$message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";

$mailsent = mail($to,$subject,$message);

echo
'<html>
 <head>
  <title>PHP Mail Test</title>
 </head>
 <body>';

if  ($mailsent) {
echo "Mail sent.";
} else {
echo "Mail not sent.";
}

echo
' </body>
</html> <html>  <html> ';

?>

produces the output:
Code:

Mail sent.

However, the mail is not delivered, and I get the following error message in my frihost webmail:
Code:
Subject:      Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
From:      "Mail Delivery System" <Mailer-Daemon@host.frih.org>
Date:      Fri, April 17, 2009 7:34 pm
To:      infinisa@infinisa.frih.net
Priority:      Normal
Options:      View Full Header |  View Printable Version  | Download this as a file

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

mike@infinisa.com

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <infinisa@infinisa.frih.net>
Received: from apache by host.frih.org with local (Exim 4.62)
        (envelope-from <infinisa@infinisa.frih.net>)
        id 1Lurx2-000Ch0-Bs
        for mike@infinisa.com; Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:34:08 +0200
To: mike@infinisa.com
Subject: Test mail
X-PHP-Script: www.infinisa.frih.net/php/mailtest3.php for 77.54.91.89
Message-Id: <E1Lurx2-000Ch0-Bs@host.frih.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:34:08 +0200

Hello! This is a simple email message.

[/code]
infinisa
But if I simply change the destination address to anything that is not in infinisa.com, then mail() works.

For example:
Code:
<?php

$to = "mikelrothwell@gmail.com ";
$subject = "Test mail";
$message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";

$mailsent = mail($to,$subject,$message);

echo
'<html>
 <head>
  <title>PHP Mail Test 4</title>
 </head>
 <body>';

if  ($mailsent) {
echo "Mail sent.";
} else {
echo "Mail not sent.";
}

echo
' </body>
</html> <html>  <html> ';

?>

works fine.

The problem is not with the PHP code; the problem is that as the infinisa.com website is hosted at Frihost, Frihost thinks that infinisa.com e-mail is hosted there too, when in fact it is hosted elsewhere (in Gmail, using GoogleApps). That's why I say the e-mail gets "stuck" inside Frihost.

The same problem now occurs with post notifications. I stopped receiving them, and had to change my profile e-mail address to a non-infinisa.com one to start receiving them again!
Aredon
Have you tried changing the domain to @infinisa.frih.net? (infinisa.com actually gives me a 404 when I try to reach it. not sure if that means anything to you.) Could also be the spam assassin on your account?

The code itself seems to check out... despite weird usage of multiple <html> tags. Shocked
infinisa
Aredon wrote:
Have you tried changing the domain to @infinisa.frih.net? (infinisa.com actually gives me a 404 when I try to reach it. not sure if that means anything to you.) Could also be the spam assassin on your account?

The code itself seems to check out... despite weird usage of multiple <html> tags. Shocked

The infinisa.com website is hosted at frihost - if you do www.infinisa.com, you get www.infinisa.frih.net.

But I don't want to change the e-mail domain, because the e-mail isn't hosted at frihost.

When you tried www.infinisa.com and got 404, that was some temporary hitch.