FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Option to suspend hosting

zjosie729
I think there should be an option to "suspend" a hosting account, in which the site doesn't work when visited the admin panel cannot be accessed, and not points are taken off for the user. I don't know about other people but right now I am only developing my website and sometimes I can't work on it for a long time, so I don't need it to be "up", but all the databases and files are in the hosting, so to ask to remove the account and apply for it again is wasting a lot of time. The suspend option should be something like a link that we as users can easily switch on and off, without having to wait for a Frihost admin to do it. What do you think?
mathiaus
I see your point but at the end of the day you are still using server resources. Even if no-one visits your site, you have space taken up which someone else could've had and it all gets backed up which is of course a rather large CPU task.

This is possible but would not be available in the DA/cPanel panel as Bondings can't edit them. Instead it would mean more coding on the forums and more work for ACs/Admins and waiting times etc.

A much simpler solution is to develop on your own computer. This can be as simple as just using HTML files straight from Windows, through to installing Apache/IIS, PHP, MySQL & phpMyAdmin. You wouldn't require Frihost's services for this development but there are added benefits such as no internet connection required and no FTPing, just save straight to your HDD. Smile
LukeakaDanish
Or you could just keep your points up - thats actually pretty easy too...and who knows, you might actually learn to like it!

My point is that it is very easy to keep your hosting - even if you go on vacation for a couple of months and go to -30 or so you can easily get back into the positives with 10 minutes of forum-browsing...
ashok
mathiaus wrote:
installing Apache/IIS, PHP, MySQL & phpMyAdmin

If you want, you can eliminate that too by getting a WAMP package which has everything pre-configured... You just have to download and install...
rvec
a nice tutorial for that by manofgames:
http://frihost.broadkast.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18
mtorregiani
I have two questions...

1.- If my points go to -30, I lose the hosting. But if I get them back to 10, do I get the hosting automatically? Or do I have to request again?
2.- Is it possible to ask for my account to get deleted, and after some time, I request it again? If I request it again, do my posts get reviewed again, or (as I had hosting before) you just create my account?

Thanks for your answers.
PS: Sorry for my bad english.
LukeakaDanish
Your points can actually go as low as -100 or something like that before you loose your hosting Razz

If it is deleted you have to apply for it again...
Bockman
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Your points can actually go as low as -100 or something like that before you loose your hosting Razz

If it is deleted you have to apply for it again...

Just to clarify things...

Hosting accounts are removed manually. This means that you do not automatically loose your account if you drop below -20 points.

Yet, you MAY loose your account when you drop below -20 points (at any given point). When deleting hosting accounts we take into consideration the users forum history (posts, activity, quality, possible away informations from user, etc.) and we sometimes decide to allow the account to stay even if the user is below -20. For example we've had users under -200 points (yes two hundred) to stay because they were exceptionally active members and they had a great contribute to the community. (although if they continue dropping, they will get deleted eventually). I want to add that in most of these cases the users got back to positives not long after they return to the forums.

Now, regarding the suspension... and this has been talked about before (in other formats)... it is not viable to maintain a suspension method on our forum/servers. and as said before, it's really easy top keep your account within limits (45 positive points +20 negative = 65 away days within allowed limits).
Also, our servers are here to serve LIVE pages and if you are still working on yours and it's not yet finished, you most likely would like to keep it private until it's ready. the local web server is a great tool for these situations. Don't take it wrongly, I also used my account initially to allow me to work on some projects remotely (i didn't have a way to keep my local server mobile between home and work). In this case, i needed to stay active in the forums.

Hope that cleared everything.

Be Well Cool
tony
ashok wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
installing Apache/IIS, PHP, MySQL & phpMyAdmin

If you want, you can eliminate that too by getting a WAMP package which has everything pre-configured... You just have to download and install...

LAMP>WAMP imo
garionw
tony wrote:
LAMP>WAMP imo

The only difference is the operating system, and if you're using it locally, you would probably be using Windows