FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dealing with spam

inphurno
i was hoping to get some advice from you guys and gals out there on how to deal with spam. eveyrone usually has some contact info or contact form on their site's webpage so i was wondering how you guys go about reducing the amount of spam you have to deal with?
flatliner
Well me personally I usually just set up a random number display and ask the user to input the numbers they see and if the users input doesn't match the numbers displayed, the php script will return fail instead of sending the e-mail. Its very easy to set-up. Its just something I did myself but there is a system called ........ erm, I not sure actually on the name its spelt weird, something like catcheh. Cannot remember, but its a widely used system day. never really looked into it myself tho.

Although this system only stops spam bots if your having a problem with an abusive user there is the option of I.P blocking. This can all be coded using PHP , but I am sure there are a lot of ready to copy and paste systems out there with this all done for you. Me personally I like to write my own code, as it helps me learn more about PHP and keeps me working with it and learning.

Hope I have helpped Very Happy
dmystic
Thats the way i use too, by the way, its captcha

so if u want to look on the internet for examples, its called captcha
flatliner
dmystic wrote:
Thats the way i use too, by the way, its captcha

so if u want to look on the internet for examples, its called captcha

AH yea that's it, ha I couldn't think of it ha! Rolling Eyes
cavey
I use a logical question that is easy and that have only one possible correct answer. F.eks. whats the capital city of France.
Blogger.com uses captcha. That does not work in my Firefox, so I must switch to Explorer each time I want to comment a blog on blogger.com. It usually ends with me not commenting.
{name here}
inphurno wrote:
i was hoping to get some advice from you guys and gals out there on how to deal with spam. eveyrone usually has some contact info or contact form on their site's webpage so i was wondering how you guys go about reducing the amount of spam you have to deal with?

What you do is you have a contact form on your site, then you have a confirmation question. This confirmation question should be something that only a human could answer. For example, you can put up a picture of FDR and place a selection box which asks "Who is this man?". Have the options be "Franklin Delano Roosevelt", "Winston Churchill", and "Joseph Stalin", so that it would be obvious to a human who it would be, but not a bot. Also make sure the "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" option is not the first one, or the bot would select it by standard, and you'd have to deal with spam.

I do not reccomend using something like a number captcha, simply because Bots have evolved enough to understand many of them, especially the phpBB2 one which provides abosolutely no garbling.
inphurno
thanks for all the comments, i tried a solution that followed some of the advice given here thanks!