FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ATAPI incompatible????

ainieas
I had brought my DVD drive from back home and installed it in a computer that I'm workig on right now. Its a Celeron 500Mhz machine. Now whenever I start my computer I get the msg "Primary slave drive - ATAPI incompatible". Can anyone please let me know what does it mean and how to get around it. Right now the DVD drive is the only one that is connected. No other CD ROM. ANd the DVD drive is workig fine too.
Btw my DVD drive is a Sony DVD RW, if its of any importance.
coreymanshack
ainieas wrote:
I had brought my DVD drive from back home and installed it in a computer that I'm workig on right now. Its a Celeron 500Mhz machine. Now whenever I start my computer I get the msg "Primary slave drive - ATAPI incompatible". Can anyone please let me know what does it mean and how to get around it. Right now the DVD drive is the only one that is connected. No other CD ROM. ANd the DVD drive is workig fine too.
Btw my DVD drive is a Sony DVD RW, if its of any importance.

Check that in bios detection is auto, and that you're using an 80 wire cable instead of 40.

I dont think you can have a slave without a master drive. Make sure you have a master drive connected.

Make sure master is on the end of the cable. There are some cables that have two connections. Slave should be on the middle.
crdowner
I think DVD drives were released well after 500MHz processors so your system BIOS may not know what the device is. Try the previous poster's suggestions but if the drive is working, you might want to leave well enough alone.
ainieas
Ya, its working fine, the DVD drive. Its reading/writing properly, so I haven't messed around with it! Thanks anyways both of you for replying.