FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

System of a down

kinkoftw
i know soad is old but i still love them i say they rock the most but how serja or how ever u spell it is on his own now and his songs rock to!!
djclue917
They're currently on hiatus right?
takashiro
The sentence you typed wasn't interrupted by ",". Looks a little strange. Very Happy
Nutteloos
kinkoftw wrote:
i know soad is old but i still love them i say they rock the most but how serja or how ever u spell it is on his own now and his songs rock to!!

Actually I heard some of Serj's songs and my first reaction was: okay, that's just SoaD lacking the talent of the other three. No offense to the other musicians that cooperated but it just didn't sound right.
rufa
Haven't listened to any of Serj's own stuff but I did enjoy some of SoaD's songs. I should check him out and see if I like it.
IconicWar
I like alot of Serj's solo work. SOAD is a great band.
imera
I'm not into that type of music, but some of the songs was pretty nice, havn't hear any of them in two years but I can still remember the songs.
Nutteloos
SOAD's songs really tend to stick around... I only have to hear a few notes to have it hang in the back of my head for half the day. Especially the latest two albums do a great job at this, although Steal This Album! also has some songs that are quite memorable.
pll
I like SOAD. They are great.
Serj Tankien is great too, his voice is amazing.
And I heard somewhere that the old drummer and the old guitarist from system (or 2 old members of SOAD) started another band themeselves... (I don't remember the name of the band)
Anyone can confirm this ? And if possible have the name of this band ?
Klaw 2
Nutteloos wrote:
kinkoftw wrote:

Actually I heard some of Serj's songs and my first reaction was: okay, that's just SoaD lacking the talent of the other three. No offense to the other musicians that cooperated but it just didn't sound right.

Hmm i wouldn't look at it like that. It's about the same music but only avvording to Serj's ideas I wouldn't say it's lacking talent.

But yeah SOAD ROCKS it's one of my favorite bands. I Like most song a lot. It's a shame tough they are on holiday.
Poetsunited
i like, as in most bands, the original stuff only...

After a few years when a band has succes, they think that whatever they make is good or they get obsessed with money...
ZeroXD
System of a down is probably one of my favorite bands when I think about it, there's always been a good amount of awesome songs on each of their CDs. I really hope they are just on a short hiatus and plan to get back in the studio together.

In response to Poetsunited, original works of bands are almost always the most creative because that's what generally gets them noticed in the first place. The hard thing for bands who have already achieved "success" or "fame" is to analyze their own style and be able to capitalize on their strengths without becoming repetitive. That process is not a simple thing for most people and that's why a lot of bands try to evolve to stay fresh and creative, but that often alienates a lot of fans who enjoy the bands original style.
fpwebs
System of a Down is deffinately my favorite band. Although they broke up, i still like all of their single stuff especially Serj's. Daron's new band, Scars on Broadway, is pretty good, but more punkish, and Shavo's band, Achozen, is good if your into stuff like Wu-Tang Clan, its more gangsta rap. I also saw an interview with Serj and he said that System still has a good chance of getting back together and doing a reunion type of thing.
Kelcey
Me and my friends loved them in high school. Though I haven't heard anything new from them in a long time.
Nutteloos
Ya, they sort of 'broke up' though none of the band members calls it that. Don't expect any new releases any time soon. It's a shame though, I especially enjoyed their last two, Mezmerize/Hypnotize.
votd
I think they will unite once again. I just feel that. A great band like this couldn't split up just like this. Besides, they have never said that they are breaking up, they just said that they have something to do on their own. And there's a chance that they might play again, like always.

I love all their albums, especially the first ones. They weren't that professional, and that's cool. Their music was wild, they were experimenting in order to state their own style, and that's why it was so cool and original. The rest of albums are masterpiece. Like Mesmerize/Hypnotize double album. Absolutely perfect. Not to mention the legend album of all time - Toxicity.
Nutteloos
I'd love to see a new album of theirs but I just don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
achowles
I've got to admit, I loved their first album. It was fresh, innovative and made people take notice. Their second album was better in some regards, but lacking some of the raw energy that drove the first. Steal was a mixed bag. Mostly great material, but it was obvious why some tracks didn't make the cut before then. Yeah, it just steadily goes downhill from there.

Still, they helped me get into more alternative forms of metal including avant garde so I appreciate them for that much.

I haven't heard his solo stuff.
votd
Apparently the first positive thing about SOAD is their style. It's pretty hard to find such a good mixture of metal-ish anywhere - called Soil by them. I don't understand why they virtually "broke-up" so quickly - they supposed to be together. I still see a great deal of potential in SOAD - it can't just end with that little amount of albums. They can't possibly run out of ideas, they even can change their style a bit if they think it's a bit dusty right now.
Nutteloos
achowles wrote:
I've got to admit, I loved their first album. It was fresh, innovative and made people take notice. Their second album was better in some regards, but lacking some of the raw energy that drove the first. Steal was a mixed bag. Mostly great material, but it was obvious why some tracks didn't make the cut before then. Yeah, it just steadily goes downhill from there.

It's probably a matter of taste, really, but I prefer the latest albums over the earlier. Especially on the first album I find it hard to select a track of which I can say I like it. Toxicity had a couple of good tracks and Steal This Album! was mostly great. (my first SoaD album, too)

The last two albums, albeit a bit short individually - you can fit both albums on 1 CD - are absolutely gold for me.
roxys_art
System of a Down is a great band. I love their music. There's just something about it that provokes emotion, and any music that can do that is great (at least to me).

I must say that while I like Serj's new stuff, it's just System of a Down minus Shavo, John, and Daron. The style is almost identical, so if he was trying to branch out on his own, I think he failed.
DuhaN
System of a Down the Best! Very nice =)
gmmunion
I like BYOB.
gecko
Well, BYOB is cool but not only. Nearly all the songs from Mesmerize/Hypnotize are great. And some of Steal This Album! and ...

I haven't tried Serj solo work but I shall see some Wink
JaneLane
They Are Pretty Amazing And Original, I Think Serj's Material Is Basically Same With Out The Extra Fire That The Other Three Bring To The Band. Its More Mellow And His Vocals Are Insanity. I Haven't Seen Him Live Yet, But S.O.A.D. Kills It Live. Shocked
Whzeb
I only like "Chapsuey"
lethaltriad
I loved their group album together, it was a fresh new band at the time, loved chop suey and i kept humminh aerials in my head when i'm driving to work. I've listening to his solo album a couple times but it hasnt really struck me enough yet to listen to it again. Will probably try to give it another try over the weekend but would really love for the band to produce another studio album sometime in the future if they ever sort out themselves again as a band.
Vitalist
I dont like Serj`s solo project.
But System of A Down were was awesome band.
I hope that one day the will come back......
xtranophilist
Vitalist wrote:
I dont like Serj`s solo project.
But System of A Down were was awesome band.
I hope that one day the will come back......

Hope we get to listen songs like Chapsuey and Toxicity again.
chi0
I was just listening to Serj's album in my car. I love it! But I've loved all of SOAD's work. I think it's unfair (although, admittedly, natural) to compare his solo work to that of his band. I like to see these things as separate works. And it all sounds good to me!! Serj's voice is amazing!
David_Pardy
I used to like them, but I listened to them again recently and realised that they're actually not that good at all...

Serj is a great singer though.
Kunkstar7
Definitely enjoy SOAD, and it kinda sucks that they are not together at the moment.
But it has allowed for Serj and others to do their own stuff most of which I quite enjoy.
Serj's album was nice, a lot of the songs had alternative implications I noticed after watching the Empty Walls video. Also Scars on Broadway is good, my favorite from their album is Babylon.
FourShade
I love System of a Down!

I have the album Mezmerize, and three songs from Toxicity and three songs from Hypnotize.

I also have two songs from Serj Tankian.

They're all great. =P
zyd666
never loved them ....
cheap music
Jaggo
Nutteloos wrote:
kinkoftw wrote:

As a matter of a fact I Found it the exact opposite:

The stuff Serj pulls on the piano is incredibly enjoyable in my eyes.

Also, having heard Scars on Broadway, which is repetetive, mono-tonic, Boring,
I'm pretty darned sure who the creative engine behind SoaD was.
Jaggo
JaneLane wrote:
They Are Pretty Amazing And Original, I Think Serj's Material Is Basically Same With Out The Extra Fire That The Other Three Bring To The Band. Its More Mellow And His Vocals Are Insanity. I Haven't Seen Him Live Yet, But S.O.A.D. Kills It Live. Shocked

[Dude, you are aware of the fact that you just capped each and every opening letter in your post?[
cngzcngz
aerials is great !!
firefox-cafe
what's their nationalities?
warriorpoets
They rock. And answering firefox-cafe, I believe they are of Armenian descent.
RosenCruz
they are armenian-american...and they have a nice vocal...!
Nutteloos
Hmm, as long as Serj does the singing, I can agree with you. Background vocals are quite lacking though.
deadswan
Nutteloos wrote:
kinkoftw wrote:

I think the same thing, but SOAD seemed different while on tour with their last album...
They just didnt seem as lively as they were before and Serj looked rather depressed... Thats what I thought anyway...