FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do-It-Yourself

ImEatingSeeds
Hey there folks, new to the forums, but after browsing around...I must say I'm pretty impressed. Lots of good stuff to be found in here.

So, here's a question. Anybody know of any definitive guides out there for turning a USB jumpdrive (of about 1 GB size) into a portable windows XP installation, or a portable Linux (...let's just say Knoppix or PCLinuxOS) installation?

That is, it's a fully functional, operating installation of the OS, but it itself is not meant for installation purposes. That is, the JumpDrive is to be used as a recovery tool, to browse the PC/Recover from it.

Anybody? Any help is much appreciated.
mehulved
ImEatingSeeds wrote:
Hey there folks, new to the forums, but after browsing around...I must say I'm pretty impressed. Lots of good stuff to be found in here.

So, here's a question. Anybody know of any definitive guides out there for turning a USB jumpdrive (of about 1 GB size) into a portable windows XP installation, or a portable Linux (...let's just say Knoppix or PCLinuxOS) installation?

That is, it's a fully functional, operating installation of the OS, but it itself is not meant for installation purposes. That is, the JumpDrive is to be used as a recovery tool, to browse the PC/Recover from it.

Anybody? Any help is much appreciated.

Had a look at www.pendrivelinux.com ?
LostOverThere
You might consider trying SLAX, its a Live Linux Distribution. If you want to install it on USB, after downloading the SLAX Iso, you can grab MySlax Creator which is a simple Windows GUI to help you through installing Slax on a USB.

Hope This Helps. Smile
swizzy
Theres a bat file script, which makes your USB drive bootable, i think it writes some bootsector to it, try googling for it..
Pepijn
I think the best way to do this is by an U3 USB stick... The only thing is you have to boot from your pc's hard drive first and then boot XP from the U3 stick... It works great!

Grtz,

Pepijn