FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UDF 1.50 read/write driver for Windows XP, please

infinisa
Hello All

I have just discovered that the software that came with my newish PC's DVD writer, Nero Suite (the version that includes Nero Express 6), doesn't support writing to UDF 1.50 format, whereas the software that came with my previous computer's DVD writer, Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD Suite 8 OEM, did.

As I like to use the UDF 1.50 format for quick file copying to CD-RW's, I would really like to get some software that allows this.

Does anyone know of a decent UDF 1.50 read/write driver for Windows XP?

Thanks!
infinisa
Hello All

After some research I find that Nero Suite (the version that includes Nero Express 6) does support writing to UDF 1.50 format after all!

The thing is, it's an optional component of the product, called inCD, that I hadn't yet installed. Now that I've installed inCD, I can read and write to my UDF 1.50 formatted CD's as before.

Just a few notes:
    In case you're unfamiliar with the UDF format, it allows you to copy files to the CD or DVD using the Windows Explorer just as you would to a disk or diskette, using a technique called packet writing. As long as the CD is a CD-RW, you can delete files and reuse the space just as you would with a disk or diskette.

The best known software to work with UDF format is DirectCD, part of the Easy Media Creator product by Roxio (ex-Adaptec) and InCD, part of the Nero product by Nero (ex-Ahead).

Unfortunately, if you install the latest version of Nero (Nero 8 ), inCD is the only component that is not installed by default!

Hope this information is useful to some of you guys out there.