FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Habit Killers

zanzou
I'm a very orally fixated person. It's led me into several bad habits over the years (chewing on my sleeves, blankets, my nails, smoking), and the only thing I've found that works for breaking me of those habits is gum chewing.

I'm just curious if you guys have anything in particular you turn to when you're trying to kill a habit. I'm currently killing nail biting, and going through around 5 packages of gum every 10 days. >_>
Akito
Really? O_O I chewed gum for like 7 months but I never got rid of finger nail biting.
KronikSindrome
I'd suggest something but it would be inappropriate Twisted Evil
zanzou
Akito wrote:
Really? O_O I chewed gum for like 7 months but I never got rid of finger nail biting.

I just chew gum any time I feel like chewing my nails, with painted nails at the start to remind me of what I'm doing. :)
ZenFountain
I have the same problem with nail biting and still getting over using chew in high school and college (country boy, I have an excuse). Chewing sunflower seeds helps but I don't think this habit will ever be totally broken.
djcaution
man, that's better than me. I chew gum and it doesnt stop me from biting my nails AND my packs last a day if I'm lucky Sad
Aless
Just count yourself you're not a smoker! They have THE hardest time with oral fixation, obviously, and it's a much harder addiction to break than nail-biting. I bite my cuticles, but that's mostly because I MUST figit....whether with hands, feet, hair, doesn't matter. I change position every 5 seconds, I swear Razz.
zanzou
Aless wrote:
Just count yourself you're not a smoker! They have THE hardest time with oral fixation, obviously, and it's a much harder addiction to break than nail-biting. I bite my cuticles, but that's mostly because I MUST figit....whether with hands, feet, hair, doesn't matter. I change position every 5 seconds, I swear :-P.

I was a smoker, actually. >_> Only for around 2 years, and have now quit.

I stopped biting my nails way before I stopped biting my cuticles.. that's only happened in the last few weeks. XD
raine dragon
I play with my jewelry all the time >...< it's really not good, I had a bracelet taken away from me when I was in elementary school >.>;;
standready
KronikSindrome wrote:

YIKES!!!!
KronikSindrome
heh...for realz tho....I might be a stupid smoker and dirty deek suka -

BUT - my nails are gorgeous. Cool
kicy
Substitute a bad addiction for a less bad addiction, but then if that doesn't work out you have the same addiction with another addiction!

Its Mind over matter, so if you don't mind it don't matter.
Vrythramax
KronikSindrome wrote:
heh...for realz tho....I might be a stupid smoker and dirty deek suka -

BUT - my nails are gorgeous. Cool

Shocked

Well...At least someone around here can get me at a loss for words.
Nameless
zanzou wrote:
I'm a very orally fixated person. It's led me into several bad habits over the years (chewing on my sleeves, blankets, my nails, smoking), and the only thing I've found that works for breaking me of those habits is gum chewing.

I don't think trading one habbit for another counts as breaking it. At best, your merging several into one. Stopping a habit entirely - without replacement - is one of the more difficult things in life (right after taxes, actually). Confused
zanzou
Nameless wrote:
I don't think trading one habbit for another counts as breaking it. At best, your merging several into one. Stopping a habit entirely - without replacement - is one of the more difficult things in life (right after taxes, actually). :?

I don't think so. I'm not in the habit of chewing gum-- it's just something I do when I have the urge to do something else. I'm just changing how I'm expressing an oral fixation, which is something that is NOT going to change. >_>;
gumkiss
I used to bite my nails, ALOT. I killed my habit my applying this solution to my nails. It makes your nails taste horrible...when you put them in your mouth it tastes ew, so you know not to put your hands in your mouth again.
meet in rio
Take up a hobby which uses a repetitive, therapeutic motion (like knitting). When I used to knit, it stopped me from snacking constantly ('just for the sake of it'), and kept my hands occupied.

For chewing, that bitter nail-polish styff works very well for me. I don't bite my nails but I'm terrible about chewing my cuticles and knuckles.
carlospro7
I have the bad habit of trying to find something to do, so that I don't go to sleep in time, this results in me going to bed very late during school days. How do you break a habit like that???
Liu
I used to bite my nails a lot, luckily for me, atleast before.. my ex used to slap my hand whenever she caught me doing it. Broke the habit after that.
zanzou
carlospro7 wrote:
I have the bad habit of trying to find something to do, so that I don't go to sleep in time, this results in me going to bed very late during school days. How do you break a habit like that???

I wouldn't say that's a habit necessarily. You probably just aren't tired so you don't try to sleep?

When that happened to me I just got up very early and wouldn't let myself nap, so I was forced to adjust my schedule.
Nameless
zanzou wrote:
Nameless wrote:
I don't think trading one habbit for another counts as breaking it. At best, your merging several into one. Stopping a habit entirely - without replacement - is one of the more difficult things in life (right after taxes, actually). Confused

I don't think so. I'm not in the habit of chewing gum-- it's just something I do when I have the urge to do something else.

That's ... kind of ... what a habit is.
zanzou
Nameless wrote:

It really isn't.

"A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition." (Answers.com, probably also on wiki.)

Me chewing gum could be compared to a smoker going out for a run any time they have the urge to smoke. You aren't in the HABIT of running-- you're running to escape the habit of smoking.

I don't have any sort of random compulsion to chew gum, unlike I did with chewing my nails.
smokey4life
Im a smoker myself and it really sucks, i wish that i would have never picked up the damn habbit in the first place. I have yet to find anything that works for me... i have tried the whole gum approach which usually resulted in me having a cigarette while chewing some juicy fruit Very Happy Nothing seems to work for me not even those damn patches..
Nameless
zanzou wrote:
Nameless wrote:

It really isn't.

"A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition." (Answers.com, probably also on wiki.)

Me chewing gum could be compared to a smoker going out for a run any time they have the urge to smoke. You aren't in the HABIT of running-- you're running to escape the habit of smoking.

I don't have any sort of random compulsion to chew gum, unlike I did with chewing my nails.

Now hold on. It's clearly recurrent, a pattern of behavior, and you're repeating it (frequently, apparently). You're meeting all the requirements.

And if your chewing of gum is defined by avoiding a compulsion, then it is indirectly compulsive too. At best you could claim to only have an indirect habit of chewing gum, but I'm not sure that even counts as specifically definable separate thing.

(... Now I'm feeling a bit like this. Laughing)
zanzou
Nameless wrote:

Now hold on. It's clearly recurrent, a pattern of behavior, and you're repeating it (frequently, apparently). You're meeting all the requirements.

And if your chewing of gum is defined by avoiding a compulsion, then it is indirectly compulsive too. At best you could claim to only have an indirect habit of chewing gum, but I'm not sure that even counts as specifically definable separate thing.

I still say it isn't a pattern of behaviour, especially because since I've actually BROKEN the habit of biting my nails, the amount I chew gum has gone down drastically. I'm not at about the same rate I would be at if I just had gum on hand.

Gum chewing CAN be a habit-- but it really isn't in my case. If I threw out all the gum I have (I bought a five pack, so it would be quite a bit), I wouldn't have the urge to go out and get more.

>____> I'm quite sure there is no such thing as an INDIRECT habit. It's either a habit you have, or you don't. If I was in the habit of chewing on pencils, and I had a rubber band to snap myself with every time I did it, I wouldn't have a habit of snapping myself with a rubber band. I would be purposefully doing something OTHER than my habit, in over to break it.
Melacos
Generally I use my very strict self-discipline... I'm usually able to set my mind to something, and then go through with it if the remainders of the deciding factors aren't too obstructive:)
jenss
carlospro7 wrote:

You can break that habit by setting an alarm to go to bed. Try using your cell phone even. You can set it to go off at a time that will allow you to get ready for bed and then make it to bed at your desired time. Who says alarms are only for waking up?

Jen
missdixy
I do this weird thing with my thumb and my front teeth that's annoying as hell but unfortunately I haven't found anything to stop me from doing it (permanently) yet. I have noticed though, that I do tend to do it when I'm bored or really relaxed. I'd suggest that you try to keep on with the gum chewing thing, as well as try to be more aware of when you're biting your nails and make yourself stop it.

Another way to do it (especially if you bite your nails without realizing it) is to dip your fingertips in garlic powder or some other thing which has an odor that really disgusts you so that anytime your nose gets near your fingertips you'll smell it and realize what you're doing.
James_Hicks
KronikSindrome wrote:

Oral sex does work well for taking one's mind off of bad habits and it makes someone else happy in the process.
PennyLane
I'm still a thumb sucker... Embarassed
And really nothing works for me... I tried like everything there is...
Especially when I'm tired or sad I start Confused
In psychology they do a lot of successive approximation training by using something to make the pleasant experience unpleasant, so that you can link one experience with the other (even to they never were in the past linked)

for example I have see them use some really bitter chemicals as well as hot sauce on baby's thumbs so that they dont suck on their thumbs anymore

for an adult I dont know what would be best... perhaps it would be best to think about what is going on when you go for that oral fixation.... and try not to do it? (easier said than done)

the best thing would probably be to just try to find another outlet for frustraion....
not sure that was helpful :p
-Ava
winmark
I have been suffering from dry eyes and i had this habit of rubbing them furiously as soon as i get the sensation, trying to keep my hands off them but not able to Sad
IceCreamTruck
carlospro7 wrote:

Waking up, and staying awake is the best way to fight this. Sounds like it won't work, but seriously, I was a night owl for years and years and years...thought I would never change that.

Well, I got a job that required me to be awake at 6am every day, and to stay awake long enough that my normal schedule would kick in.

For a while I woke up early and stayed up late, but that drags on you and staying up late eventually gave way to waking up early, and I started going to bed dog tired and on time every night. Waking up became easy, and sometimes happens now without an alarm clock or consistantly before it goes off.

I have no trouble going to sleep whenever I need to now, and this is coming from someone who thought I would NEVER be a morning person.

Think about your morning habbits. Do you sleep every morning, or lay back down every chance you get like my girlfriend. It's funny...she'll wake up with me, but then she goes and lays down on the couch next to me in the morning. I've started making her sit up, and I'm seeing that having to stay awake early in the morning is having a good effect on her too.

Now instead of her driving me nutz at night because she can't sleep she is tired when I am because I have started making her stay awake with me in the morning.

If you are having trouble at 9am, then start waking up at 6am. You'll be really wide awake by 9am. It really hurts in the beginning, because you'll keep wanting to stay awake at night like you used to, but you have to stick with it. Wake up and make yourself stay awake every day for about 20 days, then the habbit of getting up at that time will start to form, and you'll start to have a much easier time in the morning.

I'm not just talking to talk here. I used to live in Europe and would fly back to the states every summer. I had to reset my schedule enough to start to get a grasp of what I was dealing with every time, and I've worked my plan to kill jetlag as fast as possible.

The secret to all of this is litterally how you behave in the morning...sounds stupid, but if you snooze the alarm, lay back down several times, or basically sabotage your schedule like everyone seems to do in the morning, then you will have trouble.

The morning people just wake up at the same time every day, usually a few hours before everyone else, and that is how they form the habbit to waking up early. Also, it's addicting to not have people around you nagging you about things....I personally get a lot more work done before the rest of the world wakes up.

Like I said: pick a time that is a few hours before your first morning apointment durring the week. Say if you have to be at school at 9am most days...but 8:30 for band practice one day, then you should set your schedule based on the 8:30 day not the 9am day. Your 9am days will just have a nice 30 minutes extra breakfast time that the 8:30 day won't. Set your schedule to have you up by 6am each day or 7am if you just can't stand it, and do yourself a favor of not waking up at a different time depending on the day of the week.

Allow a habbit to form by choosing to wake up and be consistant. Hey, you asked how to fix it, and I remember from my childhood that nights were the problem to me then. Now that I'm an adult I realize it's not my nights that were the problem it was my mornings. Every night I was doing the same routine, but every morning was different. I didn't allow my habbit of waking up to form until I was an adult.