FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my geforce 7300 512mb ddr2 AGP graphics card is too hot

andy26
okay so today i bought a new geforce 7300 AGP with built in heat sink fan, and its idle temp is 80c and when im running a game it shoots up to 119c does anyone know what i can do, my old geforce 6200 used to idle at 45c and that had a plain no fan aluminium heat sink.
djclue917
Whoah! Are you sure that the ideal temperature is 80 C?? Man, that's too hot already. Maybe your system unit chassis doesn't have enough volume for airflow cooling to be effective? Just a thought. Or maybe your power supply's maximum output power isn't enough for your card? Newer cards eat up way more power than older cards.
andy26
djclue917 wrote:
Whoah! Are you sure that the ideal temperature is 80 C?? Man, that's too hot already. Maybe your system unit chassis doesn't have enough volume for airflow cooling to be effective? Just a thought. Or maybe your power supply's maximum output power isn't enough for your card? Newer cards eat up way more power than older cards.

oops i meant idle temp. also so if my power supply is too low it will make the card too hot?
Kelvin
Have you checked to see if the built in fan is running and at what speed? These cards should come with a monitoring software of its own. The temperature is way too hot for idle use... you should probably go check out the average temperature recoreded for that geforce manufacturer's model. Or you can just go exchange it for a new or different make like Asus, Abit, MSI or Gigabyte.
andy26
its fan speed is running and at 100% im gonna buy a new power supply tmorrow hopefully because i think the problem could be the power supply if it does make it over heat like djclue917 said, my card does want 350W but my power supply is only 250W
bloodrider
I don't think that card need additional power supply, but in either case you should verify if it needs to plug in a power cable Wink
andy26
the graphics card does require a 12v power cable to be pluged in. and iv curently got one pluged in
Kelvin
Oooo... 250W PSU is quite low for a standard system with CD/DVD ROM and an independant graphics card. The standard PSU these days are at least 350W. Is your monitor getting its power supply form the CPU as well or independantly? If it's from the CPU, then you can try pluggin it individually to another plug point. Did you overclock ur graphics card or it's running at stock speed?
swizzy
Man, i know lot of people will tell that.. what i'm about to suggest will ruin the chasis' airflow, but it aint so,... just try if you want to...

I fixed 2 cheap 80mm hi-speed fans opposite the cards heatsink, at an angle just around 120 degrees to each other, and secured it with double sided tape... the fans blows out so much air, that the flow is carried over to the RAM and the base of the CPU heatsink, so even when playing games, the total temp. is never above 45c

P.S: the airflow, also maintains cool airflow over the GPU ram...
andy26
well iv just gone out and purchased a new 400 watt psu and still the GPU Cpre temp is reading 70c and rising and thats with my case open and iv even placed a fan one pci gap away which sucks air out, the fan on the graphics is stock and the same with the settings it isnt overclocked
ssthanapati
Well then something must be wrong with d graphics card... If its still under warranty take it 2 their service center....

Otherwise there may b some problem with d heatsink paste. If uts not under warranty if u feel confident u may like 2 replace the old heatsink paste with a new 1 like arctic silver or other high grade heat sink paste
Craeft
andy26 wrote:
okay so today i bought a new geforce 7300 AGP with built in heat sink fan, and its idle temp is 80c and when im running a game it shoots up to 119c does anyone know what i can do, my old geforce 6200 used to idle at 45c and that had a plain no fan aluminium heat sink.

Holy hell, Batman!! Are you sure that's not F? Your board will start burning at 119C. I mean.. literally grab some hotdogs and invite the kids.

It sounds like your heatsink/fan aren't working at all. Another consideration would be to throw two 120mm fans, one in front of your chassis and one in the back, front blowing in, back blowing out, and see if there's an improvement. To give you an idea of how hot you're actually talking, I was scared when my CPU was hitting 49C. And CPUs are the hottest thing in your box. I bought the Asus Arctic Cool heatsink/fan and now I got it down to 45C while running full bore... and I am still not happy. Would like it cooler.

So yeah.... your temps are way way way way way scary.
andy26
iv even bought new case to allow more aiflow, i dont think i can take it back to the shop i bought it from now either. i guess i shud buy a universal graphics card to replace the current heat sink
web_harman
well there are lots of different tyoes of heatsinks for different graphic cards..... there are air sinks... water heat sinks... metal heat sink...i have got that one.....

so either its a problem with the additional heat sink you are using or it is the graphics card itself....

well i bought a card.. ATI RADEON x1950 XT 256 MB..............that was good card........ after some months it started to get heated during palying games..........so i got it checked up and they found the whole card faulty......... so they gave me a new one........

i hope u can get some help from my experience....