FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IE 8 vs firefox 3

cvkien
currently i'm using IE8 beta and firefox 3.0 beta. so far, i still use firefox a lot. maybe i too often use firefox but currently what i found was firefox had problem during startup. it will had close error and if not mistaken, it had memory problem. so far, the things i like firefox 3 is that it has a save and quit option when you quit firefox. and 1 thing i do not like is i had 1 extended monitor and i did try on that monitor. but since then, everytimes i open firefox, it will keep staying on that monitor, even i already move back to my main monitor.

for IE8, so far it has 1 new features, which is activities button on highlight on a word. you can highlight a word and then click on the activities button and search on what activities you want, let say is search trough google, translate it in Windows live, define in encarta and more. but 1 thing is that it has too few options for me to add. maybe it still new, so not much they add in. hopefully they add more options to it.
hunnyhiteshseth
Well I do not think it is appropriate to compare two betas.
And in this case it wont be appropriate even further. Firefox Beta is in final stages and can be released anytime while IE8 is still early in its development.

I do not know about multiple monitor problem but I think memory leak problem has been tackled to quite an extend and I feel is better than IE.
IE8 would be more conforming to standards and will even have "Super Standard Mode" to support all standard websites. It will be interesting to see how this mode actually develops.
dac_nip
Definitely Firefox! firefox now, firefox forever. there's no way IE can beat firefox.. Very Happy
zellfaze
dac_nip wrote:
Definitely Firefox! firefox now, firefox forever. there's no way IE can beat firefox.. Very Happy

Agreed, although I do like the fact that MS is finally compiling with the standerads
chartcentral
The new browser war of the next generation! Beta today, final in the future! I'd root for Firefox though. Ever since I was introducted to it, I have never looked back on Internet Explorer. Except at the workplace where we have to use both browsers for testing and compatability purposes. But personally, Mozilla Firefox all the way. Smile
csoftdev
i am still a firefox user no matter what IE changed in IE8. but there are times when I need IE because i use it for testing scripts and I also need it with certain plugins that doesn't exists for firefox.
garionw
I've used both, and I prefer Firefox 2 to them all.

Internet Explorer 8.
I've currently got this installed now, but the emulation mode switched on. Only a small percentage of sites work with IE8, but its a start, and I applaud Microsoft for making IE7 an 'opt-in', rather then an 'opt-out'.

Firefox 3.
I found nothing wrong with this except its address bar. I found it to be slower then Firefox 2 and I prefer the old one. It's probably something I'll get used to, but I won't use it until I have to.
cvkien
i was creating web page and i just tested with firefox 3 and IE8 and surprisingly IE8 load quite fast. better than i expected. mine is still emulate IE7 off. but for those site i browse, all of them works well in IE8.
LostOverThere
garionw wrote:

Internet Explorer 8.
I've currently got this installed now, but the emulation mode switched on. Only a small percentage of sites work with IE8, but its a start, and I applaud Microsoft for making IE7 an 'opt-in', rather then an 'opt-out'.

Firefox 3.
I found nothing wrong with this except its address bar. I found it to be slower then Firefox 2 and I prefer the old one. It's probably something I'll get used to, but I won't use it until I have to.

Slower? Firefox 3 Beta 4 uses 20mb of RAM while Firefox 2 uses a shocking 84mb of RAM on my machine.
Studio Madcrow
Firefox 3 is almost to RC stage, while IE8 is (I believe) not even in beta yet (still just an Alpha) Given those circumstances, I don't think it's really fair to compare.
silverdown
No matter what I will always mostly use Firefox, I don't like using beta versions of software. The first every browser I ever use was Netscape back in 1999 when I was first introduced to the web, I believe I was 11 or 12 as I was chosen for a computer class.

NOTE :
Don't get me wrong, I new about computer because I used one for the first time in kindergarten back in 1992. I played one of the huge 8 inch floppies, today they are getting smaller.

Getting back to topic

For me firefox has given me a lot more better time online then IE because I don't have the annoying "Do you want to allow this activex" at the top of the screen of every website I view, downloads are hidden and notified in the corner when they're down and many more features.

I still have to use IE sadly for some sites that do not want to support more browsers.

Thanks you for reading!

Glossary
kansloos

src: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080317-firefox-3-goes-on-a-diet-eats-less-memory-than-ie-and-opera.html
These are the results of a stress test on the lastest browsers.

As you can see at the end IE loses...
Though I believe IE is less memory hungry in the beginning, but after long and intensive use it will become deadslow.

I'm looking forward to the new Firefox, I've always liked the browser, but it used to be horrid to run it on old computers with little ram.
garionw
LostOverThere wrote:
garionw wrote:

Internet Explorer 8.

Firefox 3.

Slower? Firefox 3 Beta 4 uses 20mb of RAM while Firefox 2 uses a shocking 84mb of RAM on my machine.

I'm not talking about memory usage. I'm talking about loading the address bar, opening new tabs, the bookmarks menu...
LostOverThere
Sorry, my mistake.

And Internet Explorer 7 looks like it has some maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajor memory leaks.
FriBogdan
I really don't think i would ever use IE. Even if in the future... a distant future... IE will become better than Firefox (absurd!!! i know...).

I really didn't liked the fact that Microsoft launched a browser and they didn't maintain it. We had to install different other programs to stop ads, Pop-up's etc...

IE was garbage collector. This irresponsibility makes me reject IE... even if it will be better than any other browser (but this will never happen Smile )

So, IE vs Firefox >> Firefox can easily beat IE
dickyzin
I have yet to try both IE 8 and Firefox 3 beta versions. But I'm sure Firefox will lead the way. I've never had problems with Firefox before and IE always occasionally gives problems. So I'm sticking to Firefox and hope Firefox 3 full version will be available soon.
kicy
What I h8 about IE is that it freezes a little when you first start it up, there is no plug-ins. Its not even a question between firefox and IE. Firefox is always three steps ahead of IE. IE is slow, has a poor lay-out, and is homo. I use Firefox with adblocker, no script, and some other stuff and I rarely ever get viruses. IE comes with every computer and is a nice little target for hackers everywhere since computer illiterate people use IE and they're just a additional bonus for them.
loyal
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a memory leak? If a browser has many memory leaks, what does this mean i.e. what's the consequences on performance and so on?

Peace.
Agent ME
A memory leak is a glitch where a program allocates memory to use (like to store an image as you view it, or to hold the data from the server in a cache before you view it), but forgets to give the memory back to the system when its done. So the memory sits there holding some ancient data, waiting to be called on, but just sits patiently.
As memory leaks build up with other memory leaks, eventually the program starts using extreme amounts of memory. Once your system's physical RAM is used up, it has to start using virtual memory on the slower hard drive, which slows down your system.
Periodically restarting leaking programs can help clear the memory.
Da Rossa
I don't think it's appropriate to compare the betas either.
Des the Internet Explorer 8 comply with the W3C? Well, IE will hardly ever beat Firefox, for one simple reason: the union of the Firefox community.
cosmicx
I will go for Firefox, addicted with the interface and easy, nice to use...
Different of plugins, themes really make it great all the way.
dude_xyx
Can't compare them in this stage though still i would chose firefox over internet Explorer, whatever the version.
zellfaze
chartcentral wrote:
The new browser war of the next generation! Beta today, final in the future! I'd root for Firefox though. Ever since I was introducted to it, I have never looked back on Internet Explorer. Except at the workplace where we have to use both browsers for testing and compatability purposes. But personally, Mozilla Firefox all the way. Smile

We will probally not have another browser war. If anything it will be a slaughter. Very Happy
halflife268
When someone backs Microsoft in the corner, in one way or another, they'll figure out something to beat the competition. I hope Mozilla can fight this battle and not end up like Netscape, although those times were when the Internet was just starting to become popular.
Da Rossa
halflife268 wrote:
When someone backs Microsoft in the corner, in one way or another, they'll figure out something to beat the competition. I hope Mozilla can fight this battle and not end up like Netscape, although those times were when the Internet was just starting to become popular.

The problem is that the people already come with Internet Explorer as browser in their Windows OS', so most of them think "it's not necessary" to have a another one. It's too sad when people turn their back to good things.
Ireon

Go Firefox! I personally think windows sucks, but i use it anyway. IE is just plain horrible...
fadirocks
if you just want to test out FF3 check this
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable/test
you can save that on umm anywhere and it will not affect your FF2 in any way

I'm mildly pleased that IE7 was out, way better than IE6 but umm still can't trust IE as is called "The Swiss Cheese of Software"
bah
Da Rossa
I hope, however, that the Mozilla team does not get lazy. Many people can be attracted by the "beauty" of Internet Explorer.
FlyingYouri
I use FireFox Beta 3. I use only Internet Explorer 8 for some sites. But Internet Explorer 8 have so many fouls.
oskuro
I prefer firefox.

Use it better than ie....!!! dont support M$!! Twisted Evil
AftershockVibe
Have they got tabs in separate threads in Firefox yet? (I'm not sure if it is in IE)

It's really annoying when one page was coded by an idiot going fancy-free with javascript and it takes out your whole browser session or even worse, slows it to a crawl so the UI is unresponsive.
bulek
AftershockVibe maybe it would be better idea if firefox would temporarily disable all scripts which don't run in currently active window. That could free plenty of memory.
Da Rossa
Please, don't be childish, no offense. The point is not about supporting M$, it's about the software itself. Internet Explorer is really poor, Firefox is the best and this is not arguable. But don't tell me Windows is a bad thing, because it's not.
Diablosblizz
bulek wrote:
AftershockVibe maybe it would be better idea if firefox would temporarily disable all scripts which don't run in currently active window. That could free plenty of memory.

There is probably already a plugin for that. Anyways, Firefox > IE7 and 8 and anything else Microsoft wants to waste their time on. I bet you that Microsoft will get fed up and buy out Firefox.
Srs2388
I used both... the new internet explorer is much better than any of the others...
but I still prefer firefox the firefox beta 3 also is alot faster than the older firefox versions
LostOverThere
Diablosblizz wrote:
I bet you that Microsoft will get fed up and buy out Firefox.

I hope not, I'd be very disappointed if Mozilla sold out to Microsoft. However I can't see this happening anywhere in the near future, thankfully. Smile
welshsteve
I much prefer Firefox. IE7 was a vast improvement, but Firefox remains my default browser. I've tried Firefox 3 Beta and found it excellent, but I'm sticking with Firefox 2 for now as a lot of the extensions I use aren't compatible yet.
hunnyhiteshseth
welshsteve wrote:
I've tried Firefox 3 Beta and found it excellent, but I'm sticking with Firefox 2 for now as a lot of the extensions I use aren't compatible yet.

Actually that was the precise reason why I kept myself off from firefox 3 but when beta 3 launched I thought of giving it a try & after that day I have never really used firefox 2. The speed improvement is immediately visible. You can try it with facebook.com All that slowness of firefox 2 gets removed in firefox 3.
Also now I can pause my downloads from firefox itself without need of any external add-on or download manager. And yes, firefox wastes far les memory.
Although yes, I miss using google toolbar in firefox. But think soon RC1 will be released, then developers will start making there add-ons compatible with firefox 3
kitsrock
yeah. if i wasn't as dependent on my extensions as much as on Firefox itself, i would have changed it in a heartbeat. sadly, it looks like i will have to wait until extension developers are caught up with FF3.

going back to IE8 or FF3 debate, i'd take FF3 any day over IE8. I felt FF was better when I was switching over from latest stable IE (bit of an oxymoron, but hey. w/e.) version to FF version 0.9, and the feeling certainly hasn't changed now when FF has been steadily improving whereas IE has experienced what is in my eyes side-stepping (as in bunch of changes which overall dosen't improve the overall score, as it has improved in some aspects and declined in others).

at the risk of sounding like a fanboy if i haven't already done so, VIVA LA FIREFOX!
welshsteve
Spped Dial, DOwnThemAll, AdBlockPlus, McAfee Site Advisor, IE Tab, Dummy Lipsum & Web Developer Toolbar are all now compatible.

Sadly Firebug and CSS Viewer are not. Sad
kansloos
Firefox is a highly customisable browser because of it's plug-ins, I think this is an advantage over IE.
Plus I like feature at the url en search bar, where titles and urls pop-up in a drop down menu instead of just the urls.
welshsteve
I am now using Firefox 3 as most of the extensions I use are now supported.

The one thing I do miss though is the google search box.
orcaz
can't wait for firefox 3 to go final. havent tried IE tho, because it is still in the alpha stages.
dickyzin
welshsteve wrote:
I am now using Firefox 3 as most of the extensions I use are now supported.

Where can I download Firefox 3? Is the final release out yet? Is not, when is it expected to be released?
garionw
welshsteve wrote:

What do you mean by that, the search bar is still up there, maybe you just hid it?

dickyzin wrote:
Where can I download Firefox 3? Is the final release out yet? Is not, when is it expected to be released?

Firefox RC2 is out now, and they are aiming for a (very) soon release. You can get the beta here.
Josso
Firefox seems like the better choice. As usual it's more flexible with all the addons and seems to crash much less for me Confused
Arnie
Da Rossa wrote:
Please, don't be childish, no offense. The point is not about supporting M$, it's about the software itself. Internet Explorer is really poor, Firefox is the best and this is not arguable. But don't tell me Windows is a bad thing, because it's not.
Just because nobody has the guts anymore to oppose the Firefox fanboys doesn't mean they're right.

And they're conveniently forgetting about Opera. Version 9.5 has just been released.
loyal
Arnie wrote:
Just because nobody has the guts anymore to oppose the Firefox fanboys doesn't mean they're right.

Well the fact is firefox IS better than IE by a long shot.

Quote:

And they're conveniently forgetting about Opera. Version 9.5 has just been released.

And you are right that people forget about opera. Perhaps you could start a thread telling us of its unique qualities to try and tempt us to switch to it?

Peace.
Arnie
It's not a fact that Firefox is better than IE, it's an opinion that's easier to defend than the opposite. This is a difference of major importance.

Yes, you can cite factual arguments e.g. statistics about memory usage, loading time (FF may lose, actually), ActiveX, exploits, etc. But those arguments are still open to interpretation and are not equal to a factual statement that "Firefox = better". You can use the arguments in defending your opinion.

But using factual arguments doesn't make your opinion a fact!
nkhot
firefox is my favourite!
dickyzin
Using Firefox 3 now and it's super. Never used IE 8 and don't even know if it has been released. Firefox 3 is faster than its previous versions in terms of rendering and responsiveness.
ayman
I've used IE8. it still beta and it has many bugs.
but the best add in is Devloper tool which by it you can program html easilly.
caa-noise
oskuro wrote:
I prefer firefox.

Use it better than ie....!!! dont support M$!! Twisted Evil

I also prefer Firefox. The better browser now. No bugs, There are a lot of plug-ins.
chartcentral
Mozilla Firefox 3 is my preferred choice! Aside from being the one to come out of beta first, the new location bar is really cool, now I don't have to remember the exact URL, even just a phrase of the page title and the matches for previously visited sites already appear!

And it no longer goes slow on a heavily-loaded Flash page and when I open too many tabs! Nice. Also, opening large images in a tab (one way through right-clicking and choosing View Image) no longer slows the browser down. Great improvement and performance! Smile

Though I kinda admit that it took me a few hours to adjust and get used to the new appearance. Hehe.
ddukki
IE8 still doesn't address cookie writing issues. The site I wrote is almost impossible to use because the browser refuses to read the PHP code that I've written. Somehow or another, it works fine on Firefox.
faithmichi
Firefox hands down. Its quick, easy to use, great features, great options, no surprises.
cvkien
after i tried firefox 3.0.1, i found out it has 100% improvement than beta version. i never this satisfy before. it was fast, stable, 1 word, excellent.
MisterT
I heard that the head of MS Browser swears by firefox !!
xtranophilist
Nothing can beat Firefox.
IE is nowhere near it.
The world knows that Firefox is taking the web.Who says IE is better?
GavinJaynes
Firefox is by far a superior browser.

From a web designer's point of view Firefox craps all over IE. If everyone could use Firefox my job would be much much easier...
GavinJaynes

From a web designer's point of view Firefox smashes IE. If everyone could use Firefox my job would be much much easier...
GavinJaynes

From a web designer's point of view Firefox craps all over IE. If everyone could use Firefox my job would be much much easier...
Arty
Even though IE has tabs now, it's too slow and bulky Sad
the-guide
I've been using only FF for long time and have no reason to change... so I don't have any idea about IE8 and I think I will not use it.
chartcentral
Can't really tell yet since Internet Explorer 8 is still in Beta 2 phase, while Mozilla Firefox 3 is already stable at 3.0.1. So I'll have to wait and see what the final release of IE8 has to offer. But I'm inclined to liking Firefox more. Smile
welshsteve
I've not used IE8 yet, but I cannot see it improving vastly enough to make me use it instead of Firefox. Firefox remains my favourite browser, with Opera 2nd, and Flock 3rd
Lily
I've not used Ie8, Firefox 3 is my favorite browser.
majidakram
IE8 is Better than Mozilla
zeroburnrox
No matter what I will always mostly use Firefox, I don't like using beta versions of software. The first every browser I ever use was Netscape back in 1999 when I was first introduced to the web, I believe I was 11 or 12 as I was chosen for a computer class.

NOTE :
Don't get me wrong, I new about computer because I used one for the first time in kindergarten back in 1992. I played one of the huge 8 inch floppies, today they are getting smaller.

Getting back to topic

For me firefox has given me a lot more better time online then IE because I don't have the annoying "Do you want to allow this activex" at the top of the screen of every website I view, downloads are hidden and notified in the corner when they're down and many more features.

I still have to use IE sadly for some sites that do not want to support more browsers.

Thanks you for reading!

Glossary
the-guide
IE8 VS FF3... and... now we have to consider another one "Google Chrome" the new browser from giant Google!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-97407.html

Rolling Eyes
1www
firefox:Its speed is fast!
logic123
firefox will always be better Very Happy
dickyzin
When will the full version of IE 8 be released? I'm now trying Google Chrome and it's quite fast. Although still buggy.
dickyzin
Now that I've started playing around with IE8, I find it to be quite good. But it is still not fast enough. Google Chrome is still faster but IE8 has more features. I like the new features like Accelerators. I think it's very useful to highlight text and select what you want to do with it - no need for copy and paste from one site to another.
loyal
dickyzin wrote:
Now that I've started playing around with IE8, I find it to be quite good. But it is still not fast enough. Google Chrome is still faster but IE8 has more features. I like the new features like Accelerators. I think it's very useful to highlight text and select what you want to do with it - no need for copy and paste from one site to another.

I've just had a look at IE8's features. Hardly impressive. The only new feature is the new tab group behaviour. Virtually everything else is either already in firefox or available as a plugin.

It's a bit faster....that's it.

Peace.
frenz
i prefer firefox than ie8, firefox is secure than ie8 & firefox lots of plugins than ie8 & firefox is open source Laughing
chartcentral
I just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP, and I conclude that Firefox 3 is still the superior browser. Smile
malcolmpreen
Personally, I test my pages on Opera and Firefox.... if they work OK on there then that is all I need.

If someone uses IE and my pages don't look "correct", then I advise the user to get another browser.

There is no way I am putting in extra work to support "non-standard" browsers from micro$oft

Malcolm
welshsteve
malcolmpreen wrote:
Personally, I test my pages on Opera and Firefox.... if they work OK on there then that is all I need.

If someone uses IE and my pages don't look "correct", then I advise the user to get another browser.

There is no way I am putting in extra work to support "non-standard" browsers from micro$oft

Malcolm

I'm sorry, but this is not the right attitude when it comes to making sites for people, and for your own reputation.. We all know that IE isn't as standards compliant as the others, but as a web developer, too completely ignore IE is just silly, as despite the growing support for alternative broswers such as Firefox, IE is still used by the vast majority of internet users.
malcolmpreen
welshsteve wrote:
malcolmpreen wrote:

Malcolm

I'm sorry, but this is not the right attitude when it comes to making sites for people, and for your own reputation.. We all know that IE isn't as standards compliant as the others, but as a web developer, too completely ignore IE is just silly, as despite the growing support for alternative broswers such as Firefox, IE is still used by the vast majority of internet users.

Each to their own... I don't care what people think.... I put up my website with information I am interested in.... if other people want to reference that, then that is fine... that is why it is published...

Personally, if I get a reputation for not supporting micro$oft then that is fine by me

Malcolm
jomar
i use IE most of the time
aningbo
firefox will always stay ahead of internet explorer.

hate the ie popups asking you to enable this and that. no annoying and yeah it kills the fin out of you
Hogwarts
And here we have a bunch of 14-year old fanboys discussing the best browser by saying

aningbo wrote:
Firefox will always stay ahead of internet explorer.

Ignorant. Little. Imbeciles. Have any of you actually tried the bloody thing before you toss the concept aside? By not trying it out; who does it hurt to try it out? I thought "Hey, Opera is a crap browser" two years ago; before I actually tried it this year. Now, guess which browser I currently use?

Malcolm the Preening Fool wrote:
Each to their own... I don't care what people think.... I put up my website with information I am interested in.... if other people want to reference that, then that is fine... that is why it is published...

Personally, if I get a reputation for not supporting micro$oft then that is fine by me

Malcolm

Admittedly, IE6 and IE7 (to a lesser degree) are crap in terms of standards compliance. However, you're making a tool of yourself. You'll never get into professional design/coding with morals like that; and generally if you code a site decently it will almost always work perfectly in IE7. Ever tried validating your XHTML and CSS? Rolling Eyes

Oh no! You're going to get a "reputation for supporting microsoft"! I'm sure that such a large majority of people are actually going to care for the miserable quality site you would have produced, and thus Microsoft will dispatch several support teams simply to abduct you and make your site work in IE7 without your consent! Oh my god! Shocked

Despite this, I've just downloaded IE8 and should hopefully post a non-fanboy opinion back here tomorrow Rolling Eyes
Smiddie
For me studie is FF much better because of the extensions
nadji25023
I prefer firefox.

i dont like M$!! Twisted Evil
silverdown
I am firefox user all the way, IE in general is a issue for me since i take forever to load up and it ask to many questions i answer too much for one site.
loyal
Hogwarts wrote:
And here we have a bunch of 14-year old fanboys discussing the best browser by saying

aningbo wrote:
Firefox will always stay ahead of internet explorer.

Ignorant. Little. Imbeciles. Have any of you actually tried the bloody thing before you toss the concept aside? By not trying it out; who does it hurt to try it out? I thought "Hey, Opera is a crap browser" two years ago; before I actually tried it this year. Now, guess which browser I currently use?

Malcolm the Preening Fool wrote:

Malcolm

Admittedly, IE6 and IE7 (to a lesser degree) are crap in terms of standards compliance. However, you're making a tool of yourself. You'll never get into professional design/coding with morals like that; and generally if you code a site decently it will almost always work perfectly in IE7. Ever tried validating your XHTML and CSS? Rolling Eyes

Oh no! You're going to get a "reputation for supporting microsoft"! I'm sure that such a large majority of people are actually going to care for the miserable quality site you would have produced, and thus Microsoft will dispatch several support teams simply to abduct you and make your site work in IE7 without your consent! Oh my god! Shocked

Despite this, I've just downloaded IE8 and should hopefully post a non-fanboy opinion back here tomorrow Rolling Eyes

Lol. What an aggressive post which I found funny :p
I thought it was ironic you misspelt "fool".

Have a nice day, microsoft agent in disguise! Very Happy j/k

Peace.
harismushtaq
It is sad to say that Opera is no where in the competition even when it a great product. It is fast and free. It was the inventer of tabbed browsing and does best with it even today and it had an excellent download utility with bittorent support. It complies with w3c standard the best. There are some tests in which IE and even firefox does not do that well and opera does 100%. Still they have less than 2% of users share.
Hogwarts
loyal wrote:

I thought it was ironic you misspelt "fool".
Peace.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tool

harismushtaq wrote:
It is sad to say that Opera is no where in the competition even when it a great product. It is fast and free. It was the inventer of tabbed browsing and does best with it even today and it had an excellent download utility with bittorent support. It complies with w3c standard the best. There are some tests in which IE and even firefox does not do that well and opera does 100%. Still they have less than 2% of users share.

Aye, it's uncool. Currently making this post from Opera; which, incidentally, I said was crap until I actually tried it. Of course, Firefox has become a religion of sorts. There appears to be absolutely no questioning such a following of people, lest one be burned as a heretic by some self-righteous cow.

Of course, people will one day learn to accept that there might exist truthful opinions other then their own. Until then, well... FIREFOXLOLWOOTHBARAARAHARHARBETTERTHANEVERYTHINGDESPITEMENOTTRYINGITLOLOL.

*hides from Firefox fanboys*
mafialive
I enjoy the Firefox 3 a lot more than IE 8 because it is a lot faster and seems a lot cleaner looking. The one problem that I have with Firefox is how much processing on my laptop it takes up but other than that I prefer it over Microsoft's IE 8.
gilwe
I think IE8 is generally a nice browser, but I find Firefox the most easy and intuitive to use, yet even faster.
Jean-Clod
IE8 is better than Firefox 3 (I already told why in another Topic!) . You just don't need to install plugins to use things that are just very useful (i.e. New Tab button). And when you install plugins in Firefox, even if I admit some are very useful and handy, it just tends to become more and more unusable and laggish. Well, that's what I think of Firefox!
pesar
IE is suck and i m using firefox for faster and safer surf on the web
ddukki
Jean-Clod wrote:
IE8 is better than Firefox 3 (I already told why in another Topic!) . You just don't need to install plugins to use things that are just very useful (i.e. New Tab button). And when you install plugins in Firefox, even if I admit some are very useful and handy, it just tends to become more and more unusable and laggish. Well, that's what I think of Firefox!
Well, it's not necessarily the fact that the plugins themselves are unusable. Some plugins, I admit are unwieldy and cluttered, but that is an issue that stems from the developer of the add-on, not the plugin system itself. I use some great apps, such as Firebug and NoScript that are very neat and blend in seamlessly with the browser. However, some, like DownloadThemAll, are a little clumsy with multiple windows for the same purpose. But not one of them really lags or are unusable to the point where I don't use them for their purposes.

Also, there isn't really a reason you need the add a tab button. Just use Ctrl+T. I think Firefox was smart to leave the tab bar invisible when you only have one window open.
Hogwarts
ddukki wrote:
Also, there isn't really a reason you need the add a tab button. Just use Ctrl+T. I think Firefox was smart to leave the tab bar invisible when you only have one window open.

That's just a design choice, however hotkeys are slower to use for the majority of the world's population. Opera displays the new tab bar, which I occasionally use (combined with the quick-bar and mouse gestures, I can get things done without bothering to use my keyboard quite efficiently)

Jean-Clod wrote:
Some plugins, I admit are unwieldy and cluttered, but that is an issue that stems from the developer of the add-on, not the plugin system itself

To be honest, however, the plugins that don't directly effect the browsing should not be part of the browser and instead should be different applications. Of course, not everybody's even intelligent enough that FTP should be used (it can be linked from a browser) for their downloads (you know, it being the designated file transfer protocol and all), so I suppose we can simply deduce this to the world being stupid.
ddukki
Hogwarts wrote:
ddukki wrote:

That's just a design choice, however hotkeys are slower to use for the majority of the world's population. Opera displays the new tab bar, which I occasionally use (combined with the quick-bar and mouse gestures, I can get things done without bothering to use my keyboard quite efficiently)

Jean-Clod wrote:
Some plugins, I admit are unwieldy and cluttered, but that is an issue that stems from the developer of the add-on, not the plugin system itself

To be honest, however, the plugins that don't directly effect the browsing should not be part of the browser and instead should be different applications. Of course, not everybody's even intelligent enough that FTP should be used (it can be linked from a browser) for their downloads (you know, it being the designated file transfer protocol and all), so I suppose we can simply deduce this to the world being stupid.
Well, some plugins are made for the browser, but don't necessarily affect the browsing experience. Such as the add-on I mentioned earlier, Firebug. It's an HTML source code viewer that docks a separate window-frame to the bottom of the browser window. It's really useful, if you're a website developer and you need to debug your code.

Also, your FTP argument contradicts your tabbing button argument. It's much faster to click on a link to download than it is to open up a FTP application, type in a URL and download a file that way. Browsers were designed for that purpose, I think, in the first place. Finding files, indexing links and such. Further ... what's wrong with programming for stupid people? It sure as hell makes my life easier! Wink
dickyzin
I'm starting to get annoyed with IE8. It's too slow for some reason. Sad
Hogwarts
ddukki wrote:
Also, your FTP argument contradicts your tabbing button argument. It's much faster to click on a link to download than it is to open up a FTP application, type in a URL and download a file that way. Browsers were designed for that purpose, I think, in the first place. Finding files, indexing links and such. Further ... what's wrong with programming for stupid people? It sure as hell makes my life easier! Wink

Oh, really, now? If you had a link from a light-weight browser (which would be vastly more efficient due to not having the billion bindings and hooks required to make a bloaty Firefox-like extension-dependant one), say, ftp://foobar.com/foo.zip, which opened up a light-weight FTP client, you'd probably be better off. Also, you wouldn't constantly having FTP libraries lingering in your memory -- you'd only have them when you actually needed them. Incidentally, you could also choose your FTP client from all available clients -- not just whatever code your bloaty-extension-laden browser wishes you to use.

I know Firebug isn't part of the browsing experience. I also know that I didn't mention any browsing experience. I mentioned browsing; which is the act of going throughout the web using a user resource located which pulls content from a (generally) remote server and renders it. Note: Firebug is targeted at that network connection and rendering. And, even then, you still won't be using it most of the time. The Firebug extension should be loaded in the way the .net framework works -- it should be a separate application that communicates with the browser application.
SpellcasterDX
I haven't really used IE8 so I can't really comment on it, but in general I've always preferred FireFox. Although what bugs me about FF3 is that it takes like 5 minutes to open up (not open a webpage, but like, for the program to start). Might be some faulty add-ons, but I don't think so. I have very few.
angfrayle
I don't know but IE8 is still slow. It is slow on the download, slow on the install and slow when browsing. The initial package that one downloads is already 16 MB. And then when it is run, a screen comes up to tell you

updates are being downloaded
your computer is checked for malicious software
ie8 is installed
updates for ie8 are installed
installation is being finalized

and afterwards you are told to restart the computer

With Opera or FireFox, one downloads, then runs the installation file, and immediately one can browse
babygeek
used to use IE (all the different versions)...now totally reliant on firefox for self-surfing...and occasional IE-like browsers for cross-checking....

firefox rules! Wink
biljap
It will always be Firefox because of add-ons that it has. I use IE only if I have to because there are still some websites that work better in IE. Im used to having all those add-ons and adding any option that I want to have in my browser so.
Id like to see IE with add-ons and then try it once more; Ill use it just for testing purposes.
Hogwarts
biljap wrote:
Id like to see IE with add-ons and then try it once more; Ill use it just for testing purposes.

Pardon?
Asap170
Psh, even though I like IE 8 FireFox still beats IE by a lot.
naki
IE the best
soljarag
I dont know why, but for some reason IE8 has been acting up on me alot... so i "had" to install firefox
ssweat
I have recently uninstalled Internet explorer 8 due to complications with a game i play. I have also tried Google chrome with not much good experience. I am hoping that they will resolve the bugs for both soo, until then I will continue to use Firefox