FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family History-Yes yours

WhistleTurning
My wife particularly is heavily into Genealogy (Family History to the uninitiated). She has produced fascinating facts about the occupations of whole villages gleaned from the censuses from 1861 onwards. This is real live history with a personal touch as the people involved are either relatives, their neighbors or acquaintances. Not only is acting like Sherlock Holmes trying to piece together a puzzle of who it you may be related to at any era in time, fascinating and very informative. Nothing is straight forward and sometimes the written records (yes actually in some ones hand) are misleading, and often totally wrong as it relied on someone’s interpretation of their name and circumstances (note many could not read or write), leading to gross misspelling of names, incorrect ages etc

If you want a consuming and very illuminating hobby GET involved in your own family research
uuuuuu
I really appreciated this posting, and I wanted to add my own two cents to the genealogy discussion:

First of all, Mormons love genealogy, they're always doing it for the Jews or the Muslims and getting in trouble for it. But anyway, they have some of the most comprehensive genealogical data on Earth, and it's freely available to anyone.

Check out: familysearch.org from where you can launch genealogy searches and download a great Genealogy program called Personal Ancestral File.

Another related but commercial site is called www.ancestry.com.

Here is the genealogy of Abraham to Jesus:

1:2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; 1:3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; 1:4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; 1:5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; 1:6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; 1:7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; 1:8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias; 1:9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias; 1:10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias; 1:11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon: 1:12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; 1:13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; 1:14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; 1:15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
PANTONEPIRATE
jesus was not born from a virgin mother ;P
or was he ?
WhistleTurning
Thanks to the Mormons, we also get a complete British census for 1981, completely on CD, and variably searchable. Best £25 quid we ever spent (it was not freely available it such a handy format on the web when we got it). Must emphacise that any opne with an inquisitve mind who like sleuthing and solving problems will find Genealogy facinating.
Crinoid
Good to have many generations of ancestors in a country, that has online resources to search.
My searches produced zero results. And not a virtual search, requiring a lot of actual travel and obtaining permissions to use sources, is out of means (in all meanings) Very Happy . Living and surviving, just like ancestors did.
WhistleTurning
It is only in the last 15-20 years that online searches have been available at all and really only in the last 5 years have they been of great use. Hence the Mormon CD's I referred to earlier.
It was just as interesting and perhaps more of the detective work to find out (or confim) your past relatives. So don't give up just because your particular country has yes to digitise the census data. BTW the Yanks did it of course for their 1910 census using punched card.
andyd34
Can I add something to this post with regards the genealogy of Abraham to Jesus:

I WOULD LIKE YOU TO THINK OF YOUR ANSWER LONG AND HARD

If your wife told you she was pregnant and you wern't the father would you do as Joseph did!!!

Also regarding the genealogy of man:

The first man was Adam, god created a mate EVE from one of adams ribs. (Women have been a pain in the side ever since.) They had 3 sons Kane, Abel & Zeb.

GENEALOGY OF MANKIND ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WhistleTurning
Can't really seee the point of Andy's post in this thread???
Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool Twisted Evil
deanhills
WhistleTurning wrote:

You are right, I cannot see the point either. This is not appropriate for a History Forum
aadler82
I tried ancestry.com but wasn't able to get past my great-grandparents. Confused
Anyone get stuck in genealogy research like me?
scavenger
WhistleTurning wrote:

Sounds like a Science(Genetics)/Religion to me rather than history. BTW, why it should interest us to know who is our great-great-great-great grand parent? That kind of history(?) is not really as interesting as a historical person who is known to much wider audience.
aadler82
Quote:
BTW, why it should interest us to know who is our great-great-great-great grand parent? That kind of history(?) is not really as interesting as a historical person who is known to much wider audience.

It seems natural for me to want to know; it relates to your life personally. Knowing your ancestry can help you understand how you came to the conditions you live in now. Those in your lineage may not be famous, but each person has a story.
WhistleTurning
I agree aadler, mywife and I also "read round" the ancestors by looking at the places they come from on old maps and the occupations of not only the ancestor but also of their neighbours and people who live in the village or town area. This gives you a good feal of the times and how folk earned a lump of daily bread. There is also an element of voyerism, looking in to "cupboards for skeltons" and finding out family scandles. These more often than not relate to whether ancesters were actually married before they started to produce offspring, or they lied about ages.
imera
My step father is researching, he came as far back as 1650 or something there. The only thing that interests me about it is all the stories my father tells me, about his grandfather or other relatives.
AFriedman
you want random information about random people's genealogies, go to www.wargs.com

myself, i'm a 3rd generation american with ancestors from austria, ukraine and poland
ForceRun
I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon). Yes genealogy is a big deal for us. It gives a change to help understand our personal past to better understand ourselves. It also has to do with our beliefs of the next life, but this forum is not really the right place to discuss that type of information. Check out Mormon.org for more info, or just talk to your local Mormons. I personally don't do too much Genealogy because my Mother and Great Aunts have done most of it already...