FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SSMMGR.EXE won't let my PC shutdown

infinisa
Hi Frihosters

Sometimes when I shut down my PC, I get a message that the system is waiting for the program SSMMGR.EXE to terminate, which it doesn't, so I have to terminate it myself.

As this is rather annoying, I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this problem. And what is this program SSMMGR.EXE anyway?

Thanks!
AftershockVibe
A quick google will tell you that it's a program by Samsung for monitorring the status of your printer.
It shouldn't hang the system though (obviously)!

An uninstall/reinstall of the printer software and drivers with the latest version might fix it. Otherwise you can probably just install the printer drivers without this monitorring program - most printers have a flashing light or similar when they're low on ink or out of paper anyway so you won't need the program.
infinisa
Hi AftershockVibe

You're right, I do have a Samsung (CLP-300 Laser) printer installed. I'll try what you suggest. Or maybe just stop the printer monitor program from starting automatically - I see from msconfig that it starts via the usual registry key HKLM\...\Run.

Thanks.
leonbelson
Here is how I got rid of the problem: START>RUN>REGEDIT. Do a ctrl + F and type in "ssmmgr.exe" Each time you find an occurance of "ssmmgr.exe" delete the registry entry. This got rid of the problem and did not cause any problems with my computer.
welshsteve
I had a similar problem with a Samsung printer. In the end I uninstalled the software that comes with it and just used the generic driver for printing. All was fine then.