FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suikoden Tactics

basementgamesltd
Hey All,

I bought this game on clearance at a Toys R Us somewhat on a whim, but mainly because my friend would always talk about previous installments of this series...so I took a chance.

Suikoden Tactics is a turn based RPG that involves an odd collection of cel-shaded characters. Told in chapters, the story stretches through chance meetings and colossal battles.

Suikoden fans will really appreciate this venture into their world with new storyline and background filled in. The gameplay itself in battle is pretty standard for a turn based RPG. You have a grid overlaying your current map, and each character can move a certain distance each turn. Depending on the armor and weapons, the attack range and damage varies. You can set down an element on an area of the map - for example thunder - which would then affect people who are sensitive to that element.

While the graphics are not stellar, they are also not half bad for the PS2. The menu screens have a soft, colored-pencil look to them that is easy to work with. You customize your various characters, giving them skills and equipment as they gain experience and level up.

On the other hand, the in game graphics usually involve blurry figures nodding their heads at each other and striding through a room. It's almost a shame that they didn't spend more time on that aspect (especially the club-hands!) given how nice some of the character drawings are.

I think the game is great - the battle mechanics are fun and the menus are easy to navigateand nice to look at.

Anyone who's played this game and would like to try another tactical game, try finding Tactics Ogre for the PS One. It's hard to find and usually expensive, but well worth it. Read reviews if you're still uncertain.

Keep it real...
Kelcey
I bought it a while ago but only played the first stage... I've been busy ever since.