FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do something with the forum.

mafiawars
I'd say do something with the forum it looks kind of dull bit more colour and maybe a arcade bit were you can play flash games while waiting for your friends to come online or something like that. I think you should have like a download section on the forum for users to download certain files but they would have to atleast have about 200 posts before being able to download, maybe more posts its to stop people just coming on to downloading what they need then never to be seen again. Laughing
escritor
mafiawars wrote:
a arcade bit were you can play flash games while waiting for your friends

You can play some really nice here: http://www.globz.net/. Wink

They have French and English language versions of each game. In this site there are single player minigames and some multiplayer "bigger" games, like Globulos. I used to play it with a friend (we always finnished the tasks before everybody else in the class).
rvec
mafiawars wrote:
I'd say do something with the forum it looks kind of dull bit more colour and maybe a arcade bit were you can play flash games while waiting for your friends to come online or something like that. I think you should have like a download section on the forum for users to download certain files but they would have to atleast have about 200 posts before being able to download, maybe more posts its to stop people just coming on to downloading what they need then never to be seen again. Laughing

Things to not suggest (sticky):
Quote:
13) Arcade / Games on Forum

And about the redesign:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-82674.html
the forum will probably follow

The download section is a bad idea because I can't think of any files that you can host there. Most people with 200 posts already have hosting and have an ftp client and such. Also we can't put illegal content on it so only free software which allows frihost to host it will be available there.

And even if we found some good software it would take a lot of bandwidth.
escritor
rvec wrote:
And even if we found some good software it would take a lot of bandwidth.

Indeed. Moreover, there are several sites that offer software downloads.
mafiawars
Well it was a suggestion lol anyway its looking good but would be better with a few more templates to choose from
escritor
mafiawars wrote:
Well it was a suggestion lol anyway its looking good but would be better with a few more templates to choose from

Re-post the above comment here. Smile
tidruG
I doubt if we're going to add any more templates or colour options to the forums. The problem is that we've taken the default subSilver theme that came with phpBB 2.x and have HEAVILY modified it to suit our needs. Adding any other theme is going to require far too much coding to make it compatible with all our modifications and customizations.
escritor
tidruG wrote:
I doubt if we're going to add any more templates or colour options to the forums. The problem is that we've taken the default subSilver theme that came with phpBB 2.x and have HEAVILY modified it to suit our needs. Adding any other theme is going to require far too much coding to make it compatible with all our modifications and customizations.

What about copying it and changing only the colours?
ocalhoun
escritor wrote:
tidruG wrote:

What about copying it and changing only the colours?

That might actually be a good idea... If it is redesigned, you could give users the option to choose which theme to use, the 'frihost original' or the new one.
escritor
ocalhoun wrote:

That might actually be a good idea... If it is redesigned, you could give users the option to choose which theme to use, the 'frihost original' or the new one.

That's what I had in mind. If it's almost impossible to create new layouts, just give people colour schemes options. Smile
garionw
ocalhoun wrote:
give users the option to choose which theme to use

Well that can be done now, really. All we need is someone to get the style sheet, change the colours around. Then write a greesemonkey script to let us change the stylesheet.

Then when Bondings has the time, he can write it into the database (or even a firefox only feature)
escritor
garionw wrote:
Then write a greesemonkey script to let us change the stylesheet.

I'm not using Firefox.
garionw
escritor wrote:
garionw wrote:

I'm not using Firefox.

You can get it for IE as well
Animal
Allowing users to view the forum on several different skins is something Bondings has previously said he is not keen on doing. I believe this can cause some difficulties from an administrative point of view so I think it's unlikely to be implemented.

garionw wrote:
Then when Bondings has the time, he can write it into the database (or even a firefox only feature)

Adding a "Firefox Only" feature would be a pretty bad idea IMO - according to these statistics, only 15% of internet users would benefit from it so it would seem like a poor option. Any improvements added to Frihost are far more likely to benefit all users rather than just a few.
escritor
^I'm sure more than 15% of Frihost users do use Firefox. Moreover, such an option would be available just for registered users.

garionw wrote:

I'm not using IE either. Wink
Animal
escritor wrote:
Moreover, such an option would be available just for registered users.

I don't see what benefit this would have for Frihost though. By adding features available to registered users, this is likely to encourage users to register and use the forum. However, discriminating against users for using another browser is likely to leave many people feeling aggrieved and would discourage them from posting. It's very common that some of our users have no control over the browser software on their computer due to administrator restrictions, so IMO this is a really bad idea.
escritor
^Animal, I don't know what features you were talking about... I was talking just about the option to choose a different colour scheme. Do you know many sites that let anonymous guests to change it? Confused
Arnie
garionw wrote:
escritor wrote:
garionw wrote:

I'm not using Firefox.
Discriminating against Opera users, eh? Shame on you

Some rainboxing might solve this problem. Too bad we're just over April 1st, huh?
nivinjoy
Even if there is no download section or game section or any other extra features...there is a great need of change of style of frihost...

As everybody tries to be more and more handsome and beautiful..our website also need to change its face and appearance...!!! So i request all the moderators and administrators to request to Bondings for a face lift....!!!

In that point i appreciate this

In this modern wrold of internet and application of web 2.0,the style of Frihost seems to be outdated....Anyway its your wish...because everyone knows its not the style or design but the service which Frihost provides matters much....!!!

Laughing Cool Laughing
gr8inferno
I can see maybe updating the "theme". yea
Ghost Rider103
The frihost redeisng project is suggesting the same thing basically.

Maybe you should post your thoughts over in that forum if you havn't already.

Updating the theme would be a very good idea. I have came to frihost posting a lot, then slowly left because I am just tired of the same old look. If I had something nice to look at, I would deffiniately stay on here more, which would make me post more. But these colors are yack now! LOL
escritor
Hello Arnie,

Don't worry, edit site preferences > display do what I believe they would do with Greasemonkey.
garionw
escritor wrote:
Don't worry, edit site preferences > display do what I believe they would do with Greasemonkey.

Thats what I mean, Bondings add's the alternative Stylesheets in the template and Firefox, Opera.... Users can change it by going view > page style
escritor
^But that's not what I meant. Very Happy I thought you were talking about letting people download an edit stylesheet to use on their browsers. Smile No problem, I understood what you said as well.

Well, I think I'm going to make an edit myself for personal use. Razz