FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

knowing php/mysql, Is CGI/Perl worth learning?

ptolomeo
I am learning php/msql and javascript and am very satisfied with all the possibilities this bunch of knowledge opens. Today, a book on CGI/Perl felt into my hands and I am wondering if it would be worthy to dedicate some time learing that.

For those experienced on dynamic web programming, the following questions:

Does CGI/Perl offers different possibilities from php/mysql/javascript or is it a different language with which I'd do the same things?

Are web programmers abandoning CGI/Perl usage and replacing that with something else?

Excuse me if my questions are silly, but I am new to web programming and am trying to take the shortest way to begin.

Thanks a lot.
RiCtee
Heck I wouldn't delve into CGI scripting. Why would you if you already know PHP? You'll find it much, much better and easier if you stick with PHP. CGI has very poor security, and not to mention the complexity of webpages today. CGI = slow by today's standard.
imagefree
CGI is often considered to be the acronym of "Cant Go Instantly". CGI is slow and insecure, and mose webhosts may not offer you this. Also you may appreciate the flexibility of php.
Akito
imagefree wrote:
CGI is often considered to be the acronym of "Cant Do Instantly". CGI is slow and insecure, and mose webhosts may not offer you this. Also you may appreciate the flexibility of php.

Uhrm thats confusing to members who haven't even gotten 1 day of learning Rolling Eyes
MrBlueSky
RiCtee wrote:
Heck I wouldn't delve into CGI scripting. Why would you if you already know PHP? You'll find it much, much better and easier if you stick with PHP. CGI has very poor security, and not to mention the complexity of webpages today. CGI = slow by today's standard.

Compared to PHP CGI is very secure (but then again, everything is very secure compared to PHP). And when run using FastCGI or mod_perl it is as fast as mod_PHP (faster actually). And the nice thing is, when you know Perl, you know a language which is also usefull for other things than webstuff.
alalex
I would recommend PHP, just because of the huge help you will be able to get with it. You don't see much CGI/Perl forums out there now... Sad
ptolomeo
Thanks you all, but i must admit that the answers have confused me more than clarifying the confusion I have about this. It seems more like a matter of personal taste or if someone have dedicated months learning one of the programming languages have preference on this because doesnt know the other.
Cheers
flatliner
In my opinion, I would say go with PHP , as the community for it is huge, you can get your problem fix in no time and help in learning it. Plus once you know one language its easy to learn another, php would be a good one to learn as its nice and easy. Plus with the advance in OOP in php its a very useful language. Although I cannot speak for PERL as I have never really used it much.
raine dragon
Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to work professionally in web dev, then certainly. Even if you do not want to work in it for projects you start yourself, there is always the chance that you will someday have an opportunity to work on an already existing project done in CGI/Perl. ^^; So even if it's not your fav. language, it's good to know because it makes you more sell-able as a web developer and increases the number of potential job opportunities.