FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your favourite breed of Dog?

gandalfthegrey

I like the following breeds :

West Highland White Terrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_White_Terrier

Wheatons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-Coated_Wheaten_Terrier

(I also love Wheaton/Poddle mixes - or Whoodles)

Maremma-Abruzzese (or Italian Sheppard Dog)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maremma_Sheepdog[/url]
hlavco
I like German Shepherds the most, but huskies are cool too. I like big dogs with pointy ears and bushy tails.
WhistleTurning
Must admit the dogs I have come accross have been "pea Mixtures". Lots of pure bred dogs I have found as either highly strung or just plain daft. Perhaps the exception to this are the working dogs, particularly gun dogs.
Masacchi
Shih-tzus. At least through my experience, they're very friendly and are good-natured. My friend breeds them, so I'm hoping when I have my own house, I'll be able to adopt one of his dogs x].
jwellsy
I like Labs.
Labradoodles are cool too.
miacps
Huskies, Labs and German Shepherd for me. Doberman pinchers are pretty awesome looking also.

My most hated breed of all time is the poodle, whether its groomed in the "ball shaped" style or not.
jsymac
I like Bulldogs.

I own one at the moment, I also have a soft spot for French Bulldogs I used to have one
Akito
I like beagles cause they are small >_<
draganuta
My favourite dog is the French Bulldog because he has a pretty "angry" face but at the same time he is so cute and small. Very Happy
ZenFountain
Italian Greyhound Smile
PI23Napple
i think i like irish wulfhounds alot, also dalmations! i do have a little white chihuahua wich i also love to death
Shewolf
Norwegian Puffin Dogs, Huskies and Samojeds Very Happy
I love dogs with a real will of their own, and that are not too dependent on humans. I don't like German Shepherds though, they tend to like eating smaller dogs for the fun of it. Not really my cup of tea.
fx-trading-education
I have a Podhale Shepperd Dog (also called Polish Shepperd Dog or Tatras Shepperd Dog I think)
I had before a Husky.

I like pretty big dogs that can live outside whatever the weather is and are not just toys at home.
Coen
I love German Sheperds and Labradors. Both are very sweet dogs and the Labrador is a dog that is willing to work for its master where a German Sheperd is really focused on its owner. Those are two things I really want in a dog. I also feel a Germen Sheperd looks real beautifull.
jsymac
draganuta wrote:
My favourite dog is the French Bulldog because he has a pretty "angry" face but at the same time he is so cute and small. Very Happy

I used to have a frenchie fantastic dog, he had a real character and was a really good companion.
Drawingguy
I've never owned a particular breed of dog, simply the ever-lovable mutts. If I had to say my favorite breed of dog, therefore, my answer would come not from experience, but from how I perceive the dog to be. So, I'd have to say that my favorites are the chow-chow, and the dalmatian. Chow-chows look so cool, with their bear-like appearance, and their blue tongue, and dalmatians, quite simply, are pretty awesome, with their reputation as the firehouse dog, and with their spotted pattern.
frankfava
Hi guys,

My favourite dog would have to be without a doubt, an Aussie Kelpie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Kelpie

Great companion, hard worker, very playful, really energetic and extremely loyal.

Truly a man's best friend!!

I've never actually owned one but ill really soon.

Frank
Wolf1918
I would have to say my favorite breed of dog is also the German Shepherd. However, these days you have to be very careful about hip dysplasia (sp?) which has become quite common with this breed. If you plan to buy a registered GS puppy, be sure to check the registration papers of both the sire and dam, there will be notations there that will either certify them as dysplasia free or not.

Too many dogs are being bred for the show ring with no regard for the dogs' health.

Did you know that Dalmatians are now genetically prone to being deaf? And that many of the breeds that have characteristically large heads and narrow hips can no longer give birth naturally and have to have c-sections!! The flat faced breeds have been exaggerated to the point where the poor dogs can't even breathe properly any more.

All this has been done to foster SOME dog fancier's sense of fashion. IMHO, this too, is animal cruelty.

Adapting a dog or other animal to better suit someone's needs, such as a herding dog, retreiving dog, or hunting dog is one thing, but when the selection of those traits gets to the point of making the animal's life miserable, it is cruelty.

So much for my rant. I'll step off my soapbox now...
Chad
PennyLane
I like Maltezers and the West Highland White Terrier. I don't like big dogs since I was bitten by one... I also don't like dogs who jump, because this is what the dog who bit me also did... Sad
Idoru
I have a soft spot for animals with long or semi-long hair, and own a Bearded Collie. They are cute. Also, I grew up
with a Dobberman, so they always have a special place in my heart. Like Rottweiler.
MRaftery
You know the ones that look like big rats that Paris Hilton keeps in her handbag. I hate those dogs, don't understand the point of them.
xava
Hasky Very Happy
Nancy43
I love all kinds of dogs as long as they are loving. I myself have a Pointer Mix who is a crazy girl lol.
fpwebs
My all time favorite breed of dog is a Yorkshire terrier, even though I like cutting it's hair down really short. I used to have that kind of dog, but now I don't since we had to put him down since he had cancer. It really sucked, but he was a really cool dog and he was also really cute lol. I also like german shepards and dachshunds. i think that dogs are really amazing animals, since they are my favorite kind of animals. i also like birds, but that has nothing to do with dogs.
datter
I'm all about Pugs myself. Here's ours, my wife named her Sweety.

jpterri
Sweetie sure has a "sweetie" little face!

I think that Russian bloodhounds are stunning, but beagles have wonderful temperaments. When my kids were growing up, the two boys across the street had a little beagle named Mickey. He followed the neighborhood kids everywhere. He didn't know he was a dog, and no one had the heart to tell him. Mickey was just one of the boys!

Thanks to all of you who put up pictures. Makes me want to get a pooch!
mk12327
My personal favourite is the Siberian Husky. But sometimes the white ones with blue eyes can look scary... =X
canassassin
I have a few favourite breeds:

shar pei
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpei

shepards, malamutes, huskies, maltese/shitzu cross's

I mostly like all kinds of dogs. But those are my favourites and are all dogs i have had (except huskie).
furtasacra
I'm not a major dog person, but I think I might like a Kerry Blue Terrier. I've taken about a dozen "what breed is right for you" quizzes, and Kerries are always at or near the top of the list.

According to what I've read, from several sources: They don't shed much, they have very little doggie odor, and they're medium-sized. Friendly, but a bit reserved, and protective, but not psycho about it. Energetic enough to accompany a person for a jog or a long walk, but not so hyper they'll eat the furniture if you don't run them every day. Tendency to have odd personality quirks.

That sounds like the PERFECT dog for me.
furtasacra
I'm not a major dog person, but I think I might like a Kerry Blue Terrier. I've taken about a dozen "what breed is right for you" quizzes, and Kerries are always at or near the top of the list.

According to what I've read, from several sources: They don't shed much, they have very little doggie odor, and they're medium-sized. Friendly, but a bit reserved, and protective, but not psycho about it. Energetic enough to accompany a person for a jog or a long walk, but not so hyper they'll eat the furniture if you don't run them every day. Tendency to have odd personality quirks.

That sounds like the PERFECT dog for me.
jsymac
I thought I'd put a picture up of my dog.

Shift
My favourite type of dog is a St Bernard - they're big, fluffy, loving and lovable.

Unfortunatly mine died recently from cancer; it's strange, it's not the pain of a loss, just the oddness that when I look he isn't there.
furtasacra
jsymac wrote:

Awww! Cute and ugly at the same time. What do you call that? Cugly?
fpwebs
You're not going to believe this, but I like yorkshire terriers and dachshunds. I had a yorkshire terrier, but sadly he died by some kind of doggy cancer Sad but then I had a dachshund that got reposessed to my mom's friend when my mom passed away. It wasn't too cool... I had 2 birds though! That got repossessed also lol, but birds have nothing to do with dogs. I really enjoy German shepards and the two breeds I mentioned earlier. I would love to get a hold of those dogs again eventually, but first I need to get a place and some money, but as soon as I do I will enjoy them! I also like the mix between pug and jack russel, my ex girlfriend had that dog and even though it was a very hyper dog it was also really cute and it was one of the best dogs i've seen. I came about training it, but things came up and I wasn't able to finish such training.
jsymac
furtasacra wrote:
jsymac wrote:

Awww! Cute and ugly at the same time. What do you call that? Cugly?

I call him beautiful Smile
taytay
i love chocolate labs. and German shepherds... mostly just big, loyal, fast-learning dogs Razz
taytay
frankfava wrote:
Hi guys,

Great companion, hard worker, very playful, really energetic and extremely loyal.

Frank

Just lookin at 'em makes me want one. haha
GaryMK
Well I favour the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I have two of them and they make great family pets. They love all people, and will take as much exercise as you are prepared to give them. So if sitting on the couch is your thing, then Cavaliers are happy to join in. Likewise, if you want to run circuits twice a day, they they will be happy to join you (and no doubt get under your feet!!!
drunk3n_f1st
gandalfthegrey wrote:

I like the following breeds :

West Highland White Terrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_White_Terrier

Wheatons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-Coated_Wheaten_Terrier

(I also love Wheaton/Poddle mixes - or Whoodles)

Maremma-Abruzzese (or Italian Sheppard Dog)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maremma_Sheepdog[/url]

my golden retriever ^_^
NixNox
I bring you... Jindo Gae...

He's American-born, folks. It's just some Korean folks must've illegally brought his parents over seas. The way I figure it- I'm white. Never been to Korea. SOO I'm okay to say that he's the smartest and best companion dog I've ever owned!

I also grew up with Boston Bull Terriers, which are COOL but my grandma just got this one (this is a picture of me holding "Molly" at Christmas time) and she's not terribly social:

And that's the closest and only time I've been able to hold that dog without it shaking like a fuzzy maracca.
riddle
my fave is english mastiff
ashen
My favorite is Huskies!
Why? Because they're so cute and clever. My friend and my uncle have one. My friend's husky named Shila and she is very beautiful. She always happy when I come to play with her.
meadow1988
If u ask me which one is the best breed, i would say the german dogs ( sorry, dunno what they are called exactly, you get my point), they are beautiful strong, and smart, however, the cutest type of breed i have ever raised was the blah... forgot the name, some breed that are closed to chihuahua. Anyway, his name is and i love him
Rajiev
I like all the big dogs with Fur.

Specially German Shepard. One of my best friends has one and i want to steal it Twisted Evil Muahahaha

Cos he is my pal 9and the dog isn't friendly with me) i won't do that Wink
CourtneysColumbines
My favorite breed would have to be the Jack Russle. They're a little wild, but loyal. And (mostly) inteligent.
bigt
My favorite breed is the miniature schnauzer. They are smart dogs.
GaryMK
CourtneysColumbines wrote:
My favorite breed would have to be the Jack Russle. They're a little wild, but loyal. And (mostly) inteligent.

I had jack Russels when I was young - mad dogs!, they would fight with anything ten times their size. Brave, loyal, good fun but can be a bit snappy when they get older.
jessic007
I like Swiss Mountain dogs the most.
DreamWorld
pitbull mostly becouse of theyr courage
dbershevits
I like Boston Terriers, because thats the dog i own. Except she destorys everything she sees Sad
qsl1985
I like a corky dog most! They are small and cute, everthing a dog needs to be!

lethaltriad
I love all types of dogs but right now I have a Weimaraner mix which I love and also I just got a rottweiler puppy. Love german shepherds also.
Petsecia
My next dog will be a maltese. I think they're cute and that they don't bark a lot (as my poodles do)
chi0
German Shepherds!! I love them to much I have 3 of them! Very Happy
SimdudeS
Add one vote to Border Collies...
They are brilliant dogs, and very loyal.
Though... they are quite energetic as pups and need to be exercised alot.
fx-trading-education
I like dogs that are let's say at least medium size dogs (something like 15-20 kg min) because I think they are "real" dogs. They can still be like dogs were before men started to do some strange things with breeding and genetic selection. I think that dogs still should have the capacity to be able to live outside and not be toys for humans.
How come some "dogs" are smaller than cats (by the way it is interesting to note that humans have been a bit less extreme with cats, I don't know mini-cats that would be the size of a mouse, but there are "dogs" having a size of a rat).
I think man should better respect the other species and not create artificial breeds just for fun. It is clear that some breeding serves a purpose (hunting, protection...) but some are really pointless.
aipranch
My Family has really enjoyed Rottwielers and Great Pyrenees.
The Rotts are tremendously loyal and affectionate, they get very attached to thier family and especially one person in particular. We have loved having these dogs.
We have also raised Great Pyrenees, not as working sheep dogs but as family dogs. They need a large area to call thier own and make regular rounds to check the perimeters. They are sweet dogs and tend(in my own experience) to get attached to thier family and be standoffish to others. They poop away from the house and yard~big plus! And they don't have the doggy breath or slobber Laughing VERY NICE!
Growing up we have also had the regular mixed breed-free in front of the grocery store-puppies.
They were fun too. Exclamation
brokenadvice
Standard Poodles are really nice. They are supposed to be one of the smartest breed of dog. Too bad they are too expensive for me Sad
Variablez
I like Labrador retrivers, [img]http://images.google.co.uk/url?q=http://labradorhipdysplasiatreatment.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/labrador.JPG&usg=AFQjCNGR2E6_gs47EE5huA9PMWJ0rMwxpw[/img] They are well natured and really nice house pets Very Happy
teamquantum
Hi All.

This is my first post here. I have only just been allowed to get a dog. I decided on getting a Border collie. He just turned 1 and he has short hair, short nose. He is very cute will post some pics when i figure out how to!

Looking forward to being part of this community!

Jake
Bikerman
teamquantum wrote:
Hi All.

This is my first post here. I have only just been allowed to get a dog. I decided on getting a Border collie. He just turned 1 and he has short hair, short nose. He is very cute will post some pics when i figure out how to!

Looking forward to being part of this community!

Jake

Hi Jake,
some advice on border collies.
They are not generally a dog I would recommend to a novice dog owner (we have a border and a welsh collie but we have owned dogs for a long time). The border collie has a very low boredom threshold - they need to be active. You really need to be walking the dog (when it has had vaccinations of course) every day for about an hour at least. You will find that if the dog is not properly stimulated by a challenging environment then it will get destructive and could well 'eat your house'. I would advise you to enrol in a local dog agility club. You will not be able to run competitively until the dog is a bit older but you can train. You should also consider enrolling in basic obedience classes, since most agility clubs expect a basic level of obedience in the dog as a starter.
Having said all that, you will find that if you keep the dog properly stimulated they are a fantastic breed - very smart and biddable.
teamquantum
When you say stimulated what do u mean? is walking stimulation? what other activities would stimulate him? He is 1 year old now so he is getting big. I have been taking him o obedience classes and he is doing well.
Bikerman
teamquantum wrote:
When you say stimulated what do u mean? is walking stimulation? what other activities would stimulate him? He is 1 year old now so he is getting big. I have been taking him o obedience classes and he is doing well.
Physical activity is important but mental activity is also important. Obedience classes are one way, games are another. When you take the dog for a walk use a ball or 'fetch' toy. Collies also generally like 'tuggie' toys (balls on ropes and similar).
Agility is probably the best of all (unless you can actually do some real 'herding' - some places offer herding classes). Border collies are the kings/queens of agility shows - nearly all the 'best' dogs are bcs.
You will probably notice a strong herding instinct in your dog. When you go for a walk, for example, if you come across someone walking towards you, will often find that collies will run past the person and go into a crouch-wait behind them - a typical herding posture.

The key is to keep the dog mentally and physically active - they love new challenges.
teamquantum
Thanks for your information. I knew they had to be kept active but this really helps. The last thing I would want to happen to him is he gets dimentia or something from being bored.

This was really appreciated.

Regards
Jake
erlendhg
My favorite is "finsk lapphund" (Finnish Sámi dog):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Lapphund

I've got a four year old female dog (I think the more correct b-word will get cencored Razz).
Her name is Áidna (:
Fatality
When I was little I knew a guy that had a Chow Chow, I would have to say that it probably one of my favorite dogs. I hope to get one some day.
Tadtoad
I like most big dogs but I couldn't name the breed to save my life. The area I live only has little, tiny ugly dogs, it's really disgusting! Give me a German Shepard(i know this one:) ) to devour those little dogs!
bellebello
I like huskies. I like their blue eyes.
oncewelikedit
We are a big dog breed couple. St Bernards are beautiful in every slobbery and kind aspect of their natures. But after losing one to stomach distention, we found a Great Dane to be less slobbery but equally wonderful.

Great thread!
flyfamilyguy
German Shepard; or any shepard breed really. But in my experience, a Mutt is really the best kind of dog. Mutts do not cost you anything accept love, I have never had to spend money to save my dog because of some disease that pure breeds seem to have every time.
flyfamilyguy
taytay wrote:
frankfava wrote:
Hi guys,

Frank

Just lookin at 'em makes me want one. haha

THAT is one beautiful dog! I consider myself pretty experienced in the dog world, and I have never heard of a 'kelpie'
flyfamilyguy
shaybutta0 wrote:
The Cane Corso is a large working dog who decends from the ancient Roman Molossus. Native to Italy they now represent a modern day continuation of war dogs that were sometimes pitted against lions and other wild beasts in ancient Roman arenas. These Molossian Mastiffs were in great demand as war dogs and household guardians for generations to come. Throughout the breeds existence, the cane corso were used as big game hunters. Their power, courage, agility and tracking ability made them especially valuable with wild boar, stag and bear. With the decline in big game hunting the cane corso found a home with Italian farmers. They were often used as a driver, moving animals to the market and to the slaughter houses. On the farms they protected the livestock from both human thieves and animal predators, also doubling as a guard dog for homes and estates. With the transformation of the agricultural structure in many regions of Italy, this majestic dog was in danger of extinction. However, with the help of some skillful and caring dog lovers in the mid 1970's success was made in procuring as many good subjects as possible. Selective breeding began and the cane corso was given a new birth.

Beautiful; I love this breed! Where can I get one?
mrcool
i like japanese spitz...they're smart and playful....
poppat
I used to have a springer spaniel.

He was very intelligent and good natured, but use to flair up at other dogs. He also loved chasing rabbits, but I guess for a gun dog that is in his nature.

A long time ago I had a book with pictures of different types of dogs in. I really liked the look of the Otter Hound. Don't have any experience with them though, and I don't think I've even seen one.

poppat
wab11287
I have to say I am stuck between two favorites. One of them is the Great Dane breed and the other is the Boxer breed. I own three dogs my self and love them all to death. One is a Black lab, her name is Mocha (dont ask, I didnt name her) who is 4 years old. The second one is a Black lab and Boxer mix, her name is Leah and she is 6 months old as of today (Jan. 4th 2009). Last but certainly not least is my Great Dane, his name is Duke and is now 6 years old. He weighs 175lbs and stands to about the average adults chest. He is only 2 inches shorter then the worlds tallest dog, which also happens to be a great dane.
flyfamilyguy
jsymac wrote:

What a BEAUTY! I really like English bulldogs myself, and already have a name picked out for my bitch when I get her; 'Trixie'. She will be known for the pink bow that will reside on her right ear.
flyfamilyguy
'Casey' can be a bit camera shy; he's still self-conscious about being a mixed-breed even though we tell him all the time that this is the 21st century, and people no longer see the color of his fur, but the goodness of his heart. He's gonna pee all over my closet when he finds out that I posted him all over the internet! Wink
Kyohtee
Definatley German Shepards@@@@@!!!!~~~~~@@!!~~They're realy cute and cuddly but are also great guard dogs.And my favorite inside house dog is a Lopsya Opsya.They're really cute.German Shepard is Max.Lopsya Opsya is Chloe. :]
natilovesmike
I like muts! they are the best dogs! And I am not talking about the "designer" dogs like the labradoodle or the puggle, I like real street dogs that you can't even tell what kind of mix they are! For some reason I find them to be better behaved and with less health problems. Of course the first might have to do with owners spoiling breed dogs more than muts.
dude_xyx
I like German Shepherds. They are intelligence and obedience.
la_Duchess
I have a Chihuahua. His name is Paco.

larkleuman
siberian husky for me.. =)
hamza1122
Labrador-poodles! They're adorable!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/BichPooCasponstepCUTE.jpg