FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New computer, want to upgrade ram.

Diablosblizz
I've posted this question on Yahoo! Answers, and I got a few replys. I'm looking for a bit more though. I have 2 256 MB DDR ram (200 MHZ speed, I think - that's what CPUZ says) in my computer currently. CPUZ says this about both my ram slots:

Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200 MHZ)

I am wanting to upgrade my ram by 512, therefore making it 1 GB, so I can get a little more performance out of this thing I call "the beast." (Don't ask, It's a new computer and the best I've ever owned, and the speed is great compared to my older computer)

I was wondering if I can put this type of ram into my computer to boost performance by either a bit (noticeable) or a lot:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1430963&CatId=1043

Can anybody tell if this will work with my computer, and will boost my performance? If you need anymore information just reply!

Kind Regards!
Relentless
Yes that product would be fine for your PC.

But when you say speed things up what is lagging?

If you have a lot of processes running that take a lot of Mem Usage and you still have a lot of mem to kick around then you wil notice how the windows do not load after bringing one forward from behind another. (you know go white then load up)

You also get alot of background processes runing which i part of windows avragley running at 3,500k (3.5mb) which 1gb should manages with ease.

BUT -----------------

If you are running Vista (as you said a new PC)

That needs on avarage 1gb to run smoothly anyway (with all the effects activated)

So if you are running Vista I would recomend getting 2 1gb sticks... instead of 512mb. 1024mb now days are nothing to boast about. as people have up 2 2gb on standed PC's....

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1071020&CatId=1043

Well sorry for going on..

But if your not running Vista and just potting around on yout PC then Those 512's are fine....

Dan...
Diablosblizz
Sorry, I am using XP. I actually forced them to find me a computer with XP, considering I'm giving them my money. Razz

Nothing is lagging in paticular, except a few games such as WoW (a bit) and CS. I also want to be able to run Steam while on MSN and browsing the web.

I just want to see a bit more performance, other than the great speed it already is. I want to be able to run more programs and such at the same time while multitasking, that is what I mostly want to do.

Let's say I want to go play Counter Strike while on MSN and Steam (steam is required to play, if you didn't know) at the same time. Currently, I would be using around 500 MB of ram, just reaching it's limit. I'd like to upgrade it to 1GB so I can do all of those things at the same time.

Also, when you say "But if your not running Vista and just potting around on your PC then those 512's are fine..." does that mean I should upgrade my ram, or keep my 512?

Kind Regards!
Relentless
Sorry for not being clear...

I mean 512's and in the 2 online to make 1gb...

Well... What is your processer? AMD or Intel and what is it clocked at? 1.8 or 2.4 or 3.2ghz?

Coz its not all about RAM if you didn't know lol

Have to have a good heart rather than good limbs lol

Dan...
ashok
And don't forget about cooling... If you're running a lot of processes and keep working on your pc for long times, a lot of heat will be generated, and processors tend to work smooth when they are at normal room temperatures... Equip your beast with a chassis having 2-3 fans excluding the processor fan... Much better if you're able to equip with liquid cooling system Wink
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Equip your beast with a chassis having 2-3 fans excluding the processor fan

Ahaha! That's funny. But, yes I do have two fans excluding the processor fan. It's pretty cool. I've left it on overnight to do a test:

(Okay, let me warn you, the computer is downstairs with a wood burning fireplace, none of that gas crap, it's real flame with real wood. Razz)

YESTERDAY:

CPU: 34C
HD: 33C

TODAY (Leaving it on overnight, and without a "fire"):

CPU: 26C
HD: 23C

(Imo, that is pretty cool. My other desktop computer's HD would be overheating at around 70C, the fan blew and I managed to get a small fan to help it out, but I took that from another computer.)

Is that cool enough? I don't know anything about liquid cooling, I barely even know the insides of a computer, I'm more of a web techie. Also, I've posted on another forums because I want to get the most information and they said I must buy a dual channel type ram, because I do have dual channel.

Kind Regards.
cvkien
well, i believe it won't be a problem if you install that ram, if i'm not misunderstood what you said. in my experience and also saw a lot of post from others people, as long as you do not mix the ram type and brand, but if your motherboard can support let say two types of ram, for example 400mhz type and 533 type. so i think you still can install it into the same motherboard. currently i mix my ram 512mb 533 with another 2 x 512mb 667mhz in my motherboard and so far it runs well. not much problems or i can say no problem at all. and i'm thinking of adding another 1 slot 1gb 667mhz into my motherboard. and i believe it won't be a problem.

currently i upgrade my centrino laptop from 256mb to 768mb, mean i add another 1 slot 512mb into it. but for sure have to be the same type, but the brand was different. and before i add it, it runs like turtle, and will hang after on for about 1 hour. but after i upgrade it to 768mb, it runs well, more than i expected. it load windows faster, smoother, and not that fast get heat and till now, it didn't hang even for once.
ForceRun
Even for XP you want at least 1 Gb of Ram, heck it is so cheap just get 2 Gb.
Diablosblizz
ForceRun wrote:

For one GB of ram it costs 80 dollars. In my opinion that isn't cheap.
FriBogdan
"Can anybody tell if this will work with my computer, and will boost my performance? If you need anymore information just reply! "

Your new ram will run at the same speed with your slowest old ram. Anyway... upgrading with RAM is the easiest way. It will not help you with the things that need alot of processing power... like encoding or archiving or decoding videos that don't work in now.

But if you are a normal user... you will surely notice that your processor can handle alot of open programs if they are loaded in you RAM. It will be a pleasure to stay at your PC and not waiting for something to re-load some files from you HDD.

So... buy that ram Smile. Hm...it is too bad that 512 DDR costs like a 1 GB DDR2 Neutral. I wish i could have a motherboard with DDR2 Very Happy

Rolling Eyes
ForceRun
Diablosblizz wrote:
ForceRun wrote:

For one GB of ram it costs 80 dollars. In my opinion that isn't cheap.

From newegg on sale you can get 2 Gb of DDR2 6400 for only $60. Now that is very cheap!
Kelvin
you will definately see a difference in performance for a system running XP with 512MB and 1GB RAM. 512MB RAM is the recommended minimum for XP. So yeah... all the computers I have upgraded to 1GB of RAM for XP systems all show a noticeable boost in performance especially on the loadup time. What is the actual speed your Motherboard can handle for RAM? Many shops don't give you the equivalent speed which your Motherboard can actually handle to keep cost down. Also make sure you are running on Dual DDR to optimise your system. This would however require the RAMs to be of equal size.