FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Migraine

Have you ever suffered Migraine
Never
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I used to
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I still have it
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

iyepes
How many of you suffer Migrain episodes? I'm one of the "lucky" ones. Doctor hardly have helped me, the only ones doing something good, had prescribed me good analgesic, but nothing to stop the pain appearing again.

After years of suffering it, I finally realized the triggers for my case, knowing it has been better than any kind of medicine. Now people is telling me what I've already discovered, but honestly I haven't seen any kind of research in Migraine prevention.

Has anyone an experience with migraine that wants to share? Does someone knows about serious research about migraine prevention?
Bikerman
Yes, I suffer occasional migraine - not often thankfully (maybe one or two a year).

What really irritates me is people with a bad headache saying 'I have a migraine'. My response is normally the same - "No, you don't, really, you don't, otherwise you would not be talking to me."

I get migraine with aura. The first sign of an attack is that I loose vision - I don't go blind but I can't consciously 'see' - it's very difficult to describe. After about 30-60 minutes of this, a blinding headache sets in, usually with severe nausia - sometimes vomiting. This lasts for 4-6 hours during which time the only thing possible is to lie-down. It then gradually 'goes away' over a period of 30 mins or so, after which my vision is normal and there are no other symptoms.

The first time it happened to me I was teaching a class. I suddenly realised that I couldn't see the board. Fortunately one of my colleagues drove me home before the headache started. Once that started then I thought I was going to die - in fact I was hoping I would at one stage.

I know some of my 'triggers' and avoid them like the plague (which is unfortunate because I used to love Port and Stilton).

Wiki has a good article on the matter with some links to research and support organisations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine
vineeth
Yes, it comes once in a while... Not causing much problems but ruins some good times.
filet
I think I used to having it, as I've not experience it for a year now. You know, you know it coming when you see striking lights moving and some area you cant see like partial view. Sometimes scents or food can trigger it. But what I've learnt is that I noticed that when I experience migraine, the temperature of my head scalp is high..so what I used to do back then is to wash my head pop a pill and when straight to bed. And the you get this throbbing ache usually on one of your head side.

But I started taking this sea cucumber liquid two years ago and thank god I've not experience it again.I also fix the night before a rock sugar+rice soaked overnight and drink the water the next morning to cool off my head.
landed
i couldn't tell the difference between a regular headache and migraine before... I suffer from a headache more often than from migraine - am I a lucky one or what?! Wink
mikakiev
I use painkillers quite often.
driftingfe3s
I am curious to know what triggers your migranes? I've heard that for many people the trigger is dairy products.
chi0
Yeh, I suffer from migraines quite badly. I get a headache maybe once a week, and a migraine maybe once a month. I've suffered from them since I was about 13, though, and I've been to a few doctors, hospitals and migraine clinics, and no one has been able to find anything to cause it.

Sometimes they don't just have a specific cause. A couple of potential triggers for me (meaning they *could* cause a migraine, but not necessarily) are coffee and too much sunlight.

What I really hate is when I get a migraine and people say "oh, you have a headache". I think people who've never experience a migraine can't imagine what it's like, and they think we're just over-exaggerating a migraine.

My migraines... I can feel the head pain first, usually in my temples. Then I'll get really sensitive to light. At this stage I'll probably call in sick, or get home fast while I can still drive, because after that the nausea will kick in, and the light sensitivity will continue to get worse until I can't open my eyes at all because of the pain. And there's no way of stopping them at all. There's no medication around that helps for these things.

Basically... migraines suck! Razz
HamsterMan
Not really, but I have something associated with migraines. I got tinnitus and a permanent migraine aura as people call it known as visual snow, which kinda looks like if you saw everything in life through a noisy web camera. A lot of people say it usually starts after having an severe migraine. I hope they find a treatment for it in the future because it can really make it hard to concentrate.
mikakiev
For many people with severe migraine attacks, triptans are the drug of choice. They are effective in relieving the pain, nausea and sensitivity to light and sound that are associated with migraines. Sumatriptan (Imitrex) was the first drug specifically developed to treat migraines. Related medications include rizatriptan (Maxalt), naratriptan (Amerge), zolmitriptan (Zomig), almotriptan (Axert), frovatriptan (Frova) and eletriptan (Relpax). Side effects of triptans include nausea, dizziness, muscle weakness and, rarely, stroke and heart attack. In recent studies, a single-tablet combination of sumatriptan and naproxen sodium relieved migraine symptoms more effectively than did either individual medication. This combination tablet will likely be marketed soon.
deanhills
I suffer from migraines periodically, they come and go. I may not get them for months and all of a sudden they will make their appearance. I usually feel out of it before it strikes as well as nauseous, and then it usually starts with blurred vision in one eye and lots of stars. I cannot read or work on my computer as everything looks split up and a dull ache usually starts at this point. Then after an hour or two the split vision goes, and the real headache is there right at the bottom of my scull, sort of really painful. I may get a series, or a one-off, there is no pattern to reoccurence.
asand90
I am only 18 years old and already I suffer from Migrane headaches, I have been getting them for the past week and a half and even taking tylennol doesnt work, I dont know what else to try
michaeljscott93
There have been several studies done on migraines relating to alcohol consumption. Apparently alcohol can cause migraines.

I believe this can be true for some migraine suffers, I also think that lack of sleep is a large contributor.
tallison
So, I've had migraines since I was 8 -- by that, I should clarify (because I think people use this word loosely) I mean a debilitating headache that is on one side of my head (usually at about the temple). It comes on slowly and there are lots of odd symptoms -- mainly shifts in my vision on one side and cold hands and feet that let me know a few hours before the pain hits, that it's coming. Generally the pattern is that the headache is worst for about 1/2 day and that after a while nausea sets in and I throw-up whatever is on my stomach -- and when it's bad continue to vomit when there's nothing left. After this phase I can usually sleep and I wake up feeling *great* -- mainly because the pain is passed -- I have a huge appetite and feel freed from a horrible ordeal. I've never had one last longer than a day (I consider myself lucky in that respect -- I know people who have them for days on end).

I'm in my mid-40's now and the one thing I've learned is that cutting off the pain *before* it sets in fully is the only thing that seems to change the course of these headaches. In fact -- and I don't think that this is because I've somehow "grown out" of the headaches -- if I take 3 aspirin at the first sign of an impending migraine, I can pretty much avoid the whole ordeal. If I'm somewhere where I don't have access to aspirin or am too busy to notice -- I get the whole thing. So, I really do think there is some sort of feedback loop that the pain sets up that makes it worse and worse and ends in the nausea. Hope that way of looking at it can help someone else -- take pain killers early!

- Tom
Crazy_Canuck
I used to get migraines fairly regularly. I got rid of some of the stress in my life, and they are far more infrequent. Mine tend to be connected to hormones, and if I stay away from wine, cheese, and nuts, I am usually okay.

I tend to end up getting physically sick when I get one. I also am very sensitive to light. I haven't tried any meds b/c I feel like I don't get them often enough to warrant taking drugs.

They suck. Evil or Very Mad
navneethshashank
there hav been many nice remedies given. but as we know there are and have been great many instances where natural remedies work much better.

so here are some effective tips for the so called "lucky ones"-
1.take aloe vera paste and mix some lemon and menthol in it, apply it all over the side where you hav pain. also it can be applied on the forehead. no scientific backing (but it works)
2.apply turmeric paste and buttermilk paste on ur forehead. put a wet cloth on ur forehead and sleep in a dark room till the pain subsides.