FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How to prevent image theft???





icecool
i would like to create some albums on my site. some of the images belong to a friend who gave me permission to show them but she fears that the images could be misused by being copied and converted into print quality images - she has copyrighted them and they are part of her professional portfolio.

is there a way i can display them - both as thumbnails and as full size images - but can prevent them to be uplifted? or is there a maximum ppi size i can use so they can't be converted into print quality images?

any hint or help appreciated.

thanks
escritor
icecool wrote:
i would like to create some albums on my site. some of the images belong to a friend who gave me permission to show them but she fears that the images could be misused by being copied and converted into print quality images - she has copyrighted them and they are part of her professional portfolio.

is there a way i can display them - both as thumbnails and as full size images - but can prevent them to be uplifted? or is there a maximum ppi size i can use so they can't be converted into print quality images?

any hint or help appreciated.

thanks

There's no 100% anti-copy way to use images. You could add a big watermark copyright disclaimer on those photos. If you use a image in low quality, no one can convert it to a better quality.
rvec
the best way to do this is add a watermark and display them in flash. This way users can only copy them with print-screen and they'll have a watermark in them.
ashok
If you're using CPanel, You can use the Hot Link protection. Not fool-proof though.
rvec
ashok wrote:
If you're using CPanel, You can use the Hot Link protection. Not fool-proof though.

Hot link protection is only to protect the files from being displayed on other sites while they are hosted on yours. People can still just copy them and put them on their site.
Bluedoll
Copyright is being tested and redefined by the internet. Watermarking is great but kind of hurts the image right! It is an uphill battle if you want to have control over your property. Maybe the only way to deal with it is to use every trick you can find including copyright notice, or rethink what you really want to share or not to share.

I agree with the great posts you got. You can keep the original and provide a substandard copy of the original if you are really concerned about people stealing your material.
rvec
I think the best way is make an invisible watermark (small and light). The people won't see it and you can always prove it's yours.
m-productions
Actully they are working on a way with flash so that even if the flash file isnt selected (but is displayed on the screen) it will still read that print screen was hit, then execute w/e function you want, which thus could be the removal of the screen shot.


if you dont want to wait for this then
100% way
if your using the new windows media player. go watch a video on it, then take a screen shot... what do you see? NOTHING, im not sure if it works the same for the embedded one, but it should, so make a movie of your picture and uploaded it as a WMP embed... may not be as nice as a simple picture, but people can see it, and it keeps it safe.
ftv_flung
m-productions wrote:

if your using the new windows media player. go watch a video on it, then take a screen shot... what do you see? NOTHING, im not sure if it works the same for the embedded one, but it should, so make a movie of your picture and uploaded it as a WMP embed... may not be as nice as a simple picture, but people can see it, and it keeps it safe.


This only happens because the setting for Hardware Acceleration isn't correct. It is then possible if you turn it on (or off?) I don't remember. haha
m-productions
really now? i swore i read somewhere that microsfot did this for a reason. such as to disable some recording programs.. and that there was no way to fix this... *shurgs* I dont feel like looking for the article so i m but i know it dosnt do it on any of my 3 computers. (t ho i have tried on my nice new one)
Despereaux
I would:

1. Add a watermark/ Copright Notice.
"Copright" then "The artists/ photographers name" and then "when the image was made (month&year)" should suffice. A lot of the time people copy images because they don't know about copyright :/

2. Make it small. Well at least don't use the image at it's original size. Most images, even seemingly large ones, are way too small to make decent prints from.

2. Save the image as a JPEG, then use Exifer to add a copyright notice/ some contact details (email)/ and a website address into the EXIF data of a picture.

3. Use Google Alerts: http://www.google.com/alerts
Using some of the keywords that you put into the EXIF data, have google send you alerts if it's found any pictures that match those keywords.

Not foolproof, but then again nothing is. If you're worried about commercial use, then No. 2 is probably going to be the biggest deterrent. If it's personal use/ the image getting distributed without your permission, using a good watermark is probably the best way. That way, even if the watermark is removed/ cropped out of the picture, it just makes your case stronger, as the copyright violator has purposely edited your picture.

Hope that helps Smile
mOrpheuS
ftv_flung wrote:
m-productions wrote:

if your using the new windows media player. go watch a video on it, then take a screen shot... what do you see? NOTHING, im not sure if it works the same for the embedded one, but it should, so make a movie of your picture and uploaded it as a WMP embed... may not be as nice as a simple picture, but people can see it, and it keeps it safe.


This only happens because the setting for Hardware Acceleration isn't correct. It is then possible if you turn it on (or off?) I don't remember. haha

Indeed, if the video rendering software uses the right overlay mode, screenshots can always be taken.

m-productions wrote:
Actully they are working on a way with flash so that even if the flash file isnt selected (but is displayed on the screen) it will still read that print screen was hit, then execute w/e function you want, which thus could be the removal of the screen shot.

Or the function could be stealing/wiping your data ?
I wouldn't bet on a mass deployed client software like Flash allowing developers the freedom to execute arbitrary code on client machines.
If they do ... I predict their user base going down in a "flash".



@icecool, there really is NO way that you can let people see your images and yet be unable to copy them.
Watermarking is your best bet - but even that is not true protection against someone hell bent on pillaging your images.
jmlworld
I think i have the solution for you. I had a program to do all the sorts of website content teft. This will not only keep your images safe, but keep all the contents of your page exclusive, which lets people view and comment your page, but disables all the content capturing techiniques such as:

1. PrintScreen (Shift+CMD+3 in Mac).
2. IE right mouse click, and if user is using Opera and firefox, it will disable rightclicks, too.
3. Converting images into flash, adding watermarks
4. Disable website caching, saving, framing, indexing, Adobe Acrobat webcapture, drag and drop.
5. Disable view source by encrypting html.

There's a trial version, but the program will expire in 30 days. I cannot post the download link here, because I've no idea about the distriputing website, however, you can google it, with the keyword: "HTML Protector".

Best wishes!
silverdown
Here is a free image water marker

http://www.codingelite.com/tools/ImageWaterMarker.htm
Bondings
As said above, watermark your image and don't use a high resolution image. The other methods mentioned will only make it harder to capture an image, but not impossible since the viewer can always circumvent it like by taking a picture of the screen.
escritor
silverdown wrote:
Here is a free image water marker

http://www.codingelite.com/tools/ImageWaterMarker.htm

Why to download something if we can do it online? Smile

Try WebWatermarks - Free online image watermarking service - it can watermark up to 10 images at once. Wink
Related topics
W3C buttons without images
[java scripts] Text effect , img ....
Image resizer
Random image for your gallery
Image transparency script
How To : Secure Your PHP Website
751 Useful Windows XP Files
Dynamic PHP Images
Replace the art and personal pictures with an image gallery?
secure your pictures on a web page !
how to prevent double post when user klik F5 *Refresh* ?
Legal Question
How to prevent hotlinking an image and stealing bandwidth ?
NY lawmaker seeks to prevent Bush pardons of “cronies”
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.