FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to make a invisible file on Windows XP Professional

Did this work good for you?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
NO
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

blake_764
Ok guys here you go this might not be the coolest thing in the world but i can help keep people out of important stuff...
First- make a new file and put it anywhere you want.
Second- rename the file by holding down the alt key and then pressing 0160 after you finish puting that code in let go of the alt key.
Third- right click the file and go to the properties.
Fouth- The go to the tab that says customize.
Fifth- At the bottom there is a change icon button...click it.
Sixth- scoll over a little bit and you will see a little gap between icons click in the gap and you will realize there is an ivisible icon there.
Seventh- after you have picked the icon click ok...click ok on the properties and whala you have and invisible file to put all of you important shit in.
Diablosblizz
Or you could right click it and click hidden. :O The amazing features of windows! Haha, just kidding. That's an interesting find you've got there.

Kind Regards.
singh.gurjeet
blake_764 wrote:
Ok guys here you go this might not be the coolest thing in the world but i can help keep people out of important stuff...
First- make a new file and put it anywhere you want.
Second- rename the file by holding down the alt key and then pressing 0160 after you finish puting that code in let go of the alt key.

Sorry... that did not work for me... I tried it in Windows XP SP2, that is installed in VirtualBox running on Ubuntu Linux...

Although I have seen some similar stuff in older Win9x OS. But it seems that it does not work in newer Wins anymore...

Which OS did you do this in??
ashok
Worked for me! WinXP with SP2... Good find Cool
Emmer-Compascuum
singh.gurjeet wrote:
Sorry... that did not work for me... I tried it in Windows XP SP2, that is installed in VirtualBox running on Ubuntu Linux...

Although I have seen some similar stuff in older Win9x OS. But it seems that it does not work in newer Wins anymore...

Which OS did you do this in??

I think it's Windows XP Professional (see topic title). Alt*+0160 is the non breaking space, so maybe copy pasting the character from another program might work.

I haven't tried this myself, since making an entire folder 'hidden' in the Properties thingy seems more logical to me, but it sounds like a nice idea. Laughing
Kelvin
Well it works on certain file types and also folders. Basically anything that allows you the option to change the file icon. Esle you can only get as far as a nameless file. Should be interesting to use since you don't have to keep going back and forth to show/hide files and folders. But if you move your mouse over the hidden icon... the description still shows... have not tried modifying the description of the file though.