FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need Flash menu

CaNn!Bal
Can anyone create a flash menu like this:
http://www.coolfocus.net/relocate.asp?page=flash/examples/AniMenu/index.asp
for me??? I give u 40 Frih$ or more...
Cheers cannibal
Texas Al
What is it with people and Flash? It's got cross-platform compatibility issues, it's hostage to proprietary standards and compiler software, and its SLOW. That example you linked? First thing it says is "Flash loading, please wait...". Real professional.

There are some things only Flash can do, but menus and buttons are definitely not among those things. Here, have a look-- free Javascript menu that does exactly what you want (it has different icons, but you can easily put in your own instead). Try the demo on the page and see how fast it is compared to Flush. Oh, and it validates as XHTML/CSS, try doing that with Flash. Wink

http://www.destroydrop.com/javascripts/tree/

Give me one logical reason why you would want to use Flash instead of this, and I'll give you $40 FriH.

I think Flash is one of those fads that people jump on without understanding its (very serious) limitations.
CaNn!Bal
I think there are many reasons to use flash:
Nearly everyone can see flash, but javascript is only available if u have javascript installed! And I think (but i'm not a java expert) that effects like this (orange glowing) effect are impossible with js!
Look @ this:
http://www.dreamingsoft.com/123flashmenu/
digibluez
the future will be NO JAVA nO FLasH crap-PURE CSS as IE7 gets out.For now you have to find some css styles to fit crossbrowser,but at least it displays for all not like java.I know many have it disabeled.And if your site is ufll of javas. they will see a big big mess.lol.And flash is slow.No one uses it in common websites.All got CSS and php.
budazz
ei that flash is came from dreamweaver...just use dreamweaver if you want to have that kind of flash button...but it is limited...: ( that is the dis advantage...try css...it will be more manageable.. Very Happy
bluebird
try out the demo flash menu builder like amara flash menu builder etc.

thanks
bluebird
you can build ur online menu on the web .
thanks
Texas Al
CaNn!Bal wrote:
Nearly everyone can see flash, but javascript is only available if u have javascript installed! And I think (but i'm not a java expert) that effects like this (orange glowing) effect are impossible with js!
Look @ this:

Are you kidding me?! The exact opposite is true. IE, FF, Opera, and Safari all come with a built-in Javascript interpreter. Flash might come packaged with some browsers, but it's definitely a third-party module that is not built into most browsers. People might turn Javascript on and off as they like, but it's so common that most leave it on. Whereas in addition to turning Flash off, there are some people who don't even have it installed at all.

Javascript is an open standard for which tons of free information, libraries, and development tools exist. Flash is a proprietary standard controlled by Macromedia/Adobe and Flash development tools are either expensive of have incomplete functionality because they have to be painstakingly reverse-engineered.

But the site you linked makes me think that maybe you really are kidding! That fly-over glow effect is TRIVIAL to do in CSS with no scripting.

Code:

ul { padding: 0; margin: 0; list-style: none; }

li a
{ float: left; display: block; background:gray; height: 1em; width: 10em; }

li a:hover { background:orange; }

The pulldown/flyout effect can also be done in pure CSS with no scripting of any kind using display:hide directives. If you're using IE instead of a real web browser, you add like 12 lines of Javascript and now it works in IE too.

I say again-- where menus are concerned only thing Flash has going for it is marketing and misinformation.
hiquality
There are lots of reasons to use flash.
With the new AVM ( its 10 times faster) and as a plus there are less cross browser compatibility issues.
My advice...start learning As 3.0
jabapyth
CaNn!Bal wrote:
Look @ this:

its really sad that some people still don't understand that JAVA is different that JAVASCRIPT. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
And anyway, you need to install flash as well as java. You don't, however need to install javascript.
Fire Boar
Javascript comes with browsers, and everything from Netscape 2 onwards (that was before the first Mozilla browser came out - before Mozilla and Firefox were merged) has some version of javascript installed. It's whether the javascript is enabled that decides if the user handles java.

Flash menus should never never never be used. Ever.