FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Brazil

escritor
I was wondering, what kinds of news (f you get any) do you get about Brazil through your local media?
MaxStirner
The answer to this question is actually a good example of the state of western media in general. I was born and raised in Latin America (Porto Alegre) so any mention in the news usually has my interest. Regrettably, Latin American news can usually be reduced to "Chavez, Castro and drug trafficking", Brazil only mentioned in the contexts of "carnival, crime and favela". The odd overthrow or financial crises will make the daily news, but often disappear as quickly as it came. Newspapers and public television are, at least here in Germany, the only sources left that are willing to dig a bit deeper and report on news which will not necessarily appear on page 1 and sell a few more issues. In the last years, we have lost two good newspapers to international private investors who's interest for journalism stops after having read the balance sheet, so serious news coverage will again be curtailed in favor of "fast-food"-news with sexy starlets or the last lottery winner covering page 1.
escritor
Thank you for your deep analysis on the topic.