FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Omits Needless Words?

the-guide
I've read an article from "SEO BY THE SEA", presented the subject "Google Omits Needless Words (On Your Pages?)", very interesting.

The author suggested that Google tries to understand what the webpages are about?, analyzes webpages and distinguishes boilerplate from contents then going to be ignoring boilerplate when it indexes those pages.

Boilerplate, in his meaning, is terms and phrases which alway used in every pages as fixed contents of websites template.

If his suggestion is true this will affects to most websites around the Internet because most of them use boiler plate as their standard fixed contents which appears on every pages or at least nearly. Header, footer, both left and right sidebars, navigation links, copyright notice, and also another anchor text in links, etc. will be disregarded.

However, my opinion, although the boilerplate texts are look like duplicated contents but they're very important and useful sections of most webpages that can communicate with visitors, show how they can use or navigate around the sites, show anything about entire websites in conclusion form. So, I think, it's no reason for Google to ignore them. May be, Google and most search engines have recognized the boilerplate and have been accepting them , possibly, using them for indexing, but only for one most important page of sites such as homepage, and ignoring them for another pages.
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
If his suggestion is true this will affects to most websites around the Internet because most of them use boiler plate as their standard fixed contents which appears on every pages or at least nearly. Header, footer, both left and right sidebars, navigation links, copyright notice, and also another anchor text in links, etc. will be disregarded.

It does make sense that Google skips common phrases and words that turn up on most pages. From one perspective, concentrating on the more specific search terms is likely to narrow the results. However, if Google is ignoring these "boilerplate" sections because they are common throughout a site or sites, then it might be missing slogans or other phrases that may be just common words, but an important identifier for companies, etc.

Quote:
So, I think, it's no reason for Google to ignore them. May be, Google and most search engines have recognized the boilerplate and have been accepting them , possibly, using them for indexing, but only for one most important page of sites such as homepage, and ignoring them for another pages.

Since Google would be missing out on potentially important information if it ignored these "boilerplate" sections completely, I would agree that it is likely that Google may recognise them and index them, but only for homepages (or other important pages), which are likely to provide key information anyway.
Peterssidan
content that is the same for every page is not important for what a particular page is about But I don't think Google ignores totally.