FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smash Bros Brawl for WII

Bryan_Bezzle
I got the game I hope some of you do too. I cant seem to join a battle when I hook up to WIFI, i connect fine but then I can never start or join a fight playing by myself. Does anyone know has Nintendo officially addressed this or whats going on?
Satori
Yes, Nintendo has officially addressed this issue. Their servers are overloaded. I am unable to connect most of the time, but last night around midnight was able to connect and finally have a number of online brawls. Have not been able to today at all, but I have also only been trying since 5pm mountain time. Basically, if you're trying when everyone else is trying, you will have little to no luck. Try connecting at obscure hours of the night or during the day when everyone's at work (if possible.)

Nintendo is working to remedy the situation, but as far as I know hasn't actually provided a timeline. This is just something we'll all have to wait out. But, if you're really itching to play online, find a site to share your friend code with others. The "with friends" option is working *much* better than the "with anyone" option. But like I said, your best bet other than finding friends to exchange codes with is to only try brawling when the server load is much lower (like the times of day I mentioned already.)

Also, I haven't bothered to link any info, as a simple google search on the error #s you are receiving will easily direct you to a whole buttload of online forums with people bitching about this problem that everyone's having.

Hope this helps!
vonboy
i'm wondering if anybody on here has had that propblem of your wii not being able to read the disc, even though it always reads your other games perfectly. i (think god) havn't had this problem, but my wii makes loud noices when playing the game, and will occasionally take like 10 seconds to load a new level or menu screen. definatly doesn't make it unplayable, but it's still kinda annoying.

also, the subspace emmisary isn't realy that good. you'll probably play through it once to unlock the secret charecters,and never touch it again.
Fire Boar
I'd love to get it but... I live in England which is unfortunately, for the purposes of getting games, in Europe. And as we all know, everything has to be translated into French, Spanish, Italian, German and fifty different Asian minority languages before anything is allowed to be released in Europe. It's not the PAL compilancy that needs to be addressed that slows it down... it's damn EU legislation. Evil or Very Mad
LostOverThere
Fire Boar wrote:
I'd love to get it but... I live in England which is unfortunately, for the purposes of getting games, in Europe. And as we all know, everything has to be translated into French, Spanish, Italian, German and fifty different Asian minority languages before anything is allowed to be released in Europe. It's not the PAL compilancy that needs to be addressed that slows it down... it's damn EU legislation. Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, im in Australia and have the same problem. Though, just feel lucky, PAL is far superior to NTSC. Smile
Fire Boar
That's true - we get about a hundred extra lines. Very nice to have. Well, I'll just be patient and wait - it'll be worth it in the end, and in the meantime I can play Fire Emblem (which has just come out here) to death!
wombatrpgs
Fire Boar wrote:
That's true - we get about a hundred extra lines. Very nice to have. Well, I'll just be patient and wait - it'll be worth it in the end, and in the meantime I can play Fire Emblem (which has just come out here) to death!

That's excellent news... In my opinion the games are just about on par with each other. I've been waiting for SSBB for too long that there was nothing that wouldn't dissapoint... The downside of hype. Still a fun game though. I remember being very glad Radiant Dawn was being released in November when it was announced that Brawl was being released in March rather than in December. Wonder what I'll play after Brawl...
Magicman
Brawl is just as fun as its predecessor with some great new additions. The other day I had a 'Can not read disc' error and it scared me because it happened every time I came back to the character select screen after a brawl. Luckily it was just a smudge on the disc which I carefully wiped off. I haven't tried WiFi yet but I will soon.
driftingfe3s
I loved Melee on the Gamecube, and because I don't own a Wii I won't be able to play brawl because the only friend I have who has a Wii is usually visiting his girlfriend up north on the weekends.
Masacchi
I don't actually own the game, but I had a lot of fun playing it a few days ago at a friend's place. The new additions to the game are pretty awesome. Yay for Pit. He's my current favorite, and his ability to fly and save himself have come in pretty handy a couple of tight spots. Heh. I love his arrows, too. They curve! xD So much fun.

I haven't really seen most of the stages, but the Pictoart one (I think that's what it's called) and the Mushroom Kingdom are cool. The first time I tried it though, I kinda.. um.. xD;; Let's just say the stage moving was a surprise.

Randomness.. which Final Smash do you guys think is the best?
Whong
Bryan_Bezzle wrote:
I got the game I hope some of you do too. I cant seem to join a battle when I hook up to WIFI, i connect fine but then I can never start or join a fight playing by myself. Does anyone know has Nintendo officially addressed this or whats going on?

I don't have it yet, since it hasn't veen released in Europe, but I'll buy it as soon as it is released here! Very Happy
Seiji
SSBB lived up to the hype for me. Even with the connecting issues of getting online its still one of the best games we've seen that has been released on the Wii. There are many tournaments going around at gaming stores in my area just for SSBB.
QrafTee
I have no real problem connecting on Wifi. Every once in awhile I'm out of sync and get disconnected, but it's rare. I've played some people who aren't that good, but it started lagging and my opponents proved better in such situations than I was.
wombatrpgs
Unfortunately I had to go through the very long motions of setting up NAT2 for a lousy router... Though it was worth it. Online may take a while, although it's very fun to somehow feel connected to random anonymous people... I've never run into really bad, really good, or just plain joking people yet, though.
enygmasoft
Super Smash bros has never been to much fun in my eyes, but maybe I'll take a crack at the latest one to see if it is more fun. Fun is good.
vonboy
i don't know if it's mostly my connection or nintendo's servers being overwhelmed with alot of traffic, but all of my battles are always as slow as molasis. seriosly, it'll freeze for a couple of seconds, and then start going for a split second, and then freeze again. my connection has alwaws been decent enough to work for other games without much lag. i just don't know whats wrong with ssbb. maybe it requiers more syncing and less ping and stuff than most other games.
Whong
enygmasoft wrote:
Super Smash bros has never been to much fun in my eyes, but maybe I'll take a crack at the latest one to see if it is more fun. Fun is good.

For me Smash bros has always been one of the most fun games. I've been playing Smash bros the most of all my GameCube games! Very Happy
bitdevil
I don't understand how this game gets 9.5 on gamespot. I've played it a couple times with my friends, it's fun but it's not revolutionary or anything. But then again, I couldn't get into the prequel.
ZeroXD
I think SSBB and its prequals are for those that are very competitive and love to play fighting games with their friends.

smash bros is not very fun for me now, but i remember when i was younger i could play them for hours with a couple buddies of mine. Now that i am older and have friends who do not care that much about winning or losing, or will not play a game for more then 30 mins, the game seems kinda lackluster.
wombatrpgs
bitdevil wrote:
I don't understand how this game gets 9.5 on gamespot. I've played it a couple times with my friends, it's fun but it's not revolutionary or anything. But then again, I couldn't get into the prequel.

I find it ironic that a lot of people reading that review were attacking GameSpot for giving not giving it a ten. It just goes to show the rating is actually correct, if everyone's hating it for a different reason... And no, this game isn't revloutionary, but the mild enjoyment can last for a very long time. I'm still stunned at how much they packed into this one game.
Whong
wombatrpgs wrote:
bitdevil wrote:

I find it ironic that a lot of people reading that review were attacking GameSpot for giving not giving it a ten. It just goes to show the rating is actually correct, if everyone's hating it for a different reason... And no, this game isn't revloutionary, but the mild enjoyment can last for a very long time. I'm still stunned at how much they packed into this one game.

Smash bros melee was an excellent game and I'm sure Brawl will be way better. I also thought 9.5 was a bit too less for such an excellent game. A game doesn't have to be revolutionary to be great, and there is NO OTHER GAME like Smash bros. No other with the same kind of battle interface. It's unique!!! Very Happy
ZeroXD
While the controls and battle physics are quite unique to the series. There are have been other group fighter games which can be very fun. One that I've always found particularly fun was the Powerstone series.
Kelcey
I finally played it a couple of weeks ago. Single player bored me to death. Couldn't do anything online since the lag was so bad. Out of quite a few hours of trying online, I got a few non-death-lag-matches (still lagged like hell) that were fun. Regardless, this game is going back because of the problems.
wombatrpgs
The game works much better if you brawl with friends rather than with anyone. And multiplayer with actual people sitting next to you is still the best multiplayer experience I can come up with... And did you adjust the WiFi router settings? I found broadcasting on channel 1 rather than 6 eliminated pretty much all lag...
Ghengis
My friend code is 2105-8479-5067. I won't be able to play for a while because my main TV is busted, plus of course having a 1-month-old and a 2.5-year-old at the same time doesn't leave a lot for gaming =-)
Satori
I can't see how anyone wouldn't like this game. You don't have to master it to have a blast playing it. In fact, you can jump right in without much instruction and still have a lot of fun (maybe you won't win much...but who cares, it's the gameplay that counts.) I don't know why people are bitching about the online so much. I think it rocks! Not only can you play random people, but the best part is that once you get grouped up, you keep playing the same people over and over until people drop out or you want to drop out to find a new group. This is great because it's always disappointing when someone whoops you and you don't get a chance to get them back Smile I find that very few of my online games lag. The ones that do lag are horribly laggy, but in that case, I just drop out and find a new group to play with and the issues are gone. I'd say 90% of my online games are lag free, which is pretty amazing to me. Living in a small mountain town, I play most of my smash games online, and since I don't have any friends who own it yet, I don't play online with friends ever. I did play through the single player and it was alright...nothing special, but what can you expect? I mainly did it to unlock characters anyway. I still haven't unlocked all the characters or levels yet either and I've had the game since shortly after it was released.

Overall, Smash is one of my all time favorite games and with Brawl, everything about it has been improved. They have packed sooooo much into it and the online feature alone has made the game MORE than worth it. I can see myself playing this game for a long time coming!
wombatrpgs
There's some truth in that... However, I believe most people who are angry about online are concerned about the lack of integration between the friends and online mode, not their individual features. The fact that new friends cannot be added through With Anyone confirms Nintendo still places the safety of children over the whims of griping "serious" gamers... Tragic.
enygmasoft
wombatrpgs wrote:
There's some truth in that... However, I believe most people who are angry about online are concerned about the lack of integration between the friends and online mode, not their individual features. The fact that new friends cannot be added through With Anyone confirms Nintendo still places the safety of children over the whims of griping "serious" gamers... Tragic.

How is this a sad part on nintendo, when clearly the biggest share of super smash bros. are always the younger crowd. There is not a "serious" bone to be found here.
wombatrpgs
enygmasoft wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

How is this a sad part on nintendo, when clearly the biggest share of super smash bros. are always the younger crowd. There is not a "serious" bone to be found here.

I always forget internet sarcasm fails. My mistake then. Personally I prefer the younger audience not being in the Halo 3 Voicechat realm of failure than being able to do something quite trivial. Which the wording attempted to imply.
Fire Boar
I spotted the sarcasm, though it was subtle. Well said though - I think Ninty really did the right thing. Anyone can still get other people's friend codes through internet places... like this one.