FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

(really) old classics.

MarzEz
does anyone play any of those really old classics like doom, doom 2, stunts, quake etc?
some of these games are still the most awesome around. stunts is my personal favourite.
so, do you still play any of these games or any others? what's the game called and why do you like it?
i like stunts because you can build your own tracks and the physics realism is actually fairly decent. note: to be classified as an old classic, the game must have been made for an OS released before windows NT.

it'd be cool to know who still plays them, and why.
Satori
Can't say I play any of the ones you mentioned...but thought I'd comment that in my personal opinion none of those games are *really* old classics. To me, a *really* old classic is "Dig Dug." I mean, I remember playing that game on my *really* old DOS computer with it's ridiculous 5 inch floppy drive.

Just my 2 cents Smile
bogger
Nor do I, but I agree too with satori, doom isn't really old, just old.

Really old classics are games like Pong, and breakout, now THAT's a good game.

On another, more immature note, quake sux!
CTMiB
I have an arcade game simulator for my PC, so I get to play classics like Robotron, Dig Dug, Crystal Castles, and Double Dragon.
I still remember being able to beat Double Dragon on 1 quarter... those were the days!
David_Pardy
I would consider REALLY OLD to be pre-1990.

Sopwith 2 FTW!
MarzEz
old, really old, same thing.
p.s, can u plz post screenshots if possible.
thx.
bogger
well, pong and breakout are both available here in what I have to say is just hard:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/pongout

vertical mouse is pong, horizontal mouse is breakout, simultaneous playing, gah it's soo hard!
David_Pardy
That game is INSANE

I LOVE IT!
Nutteloos
The music is driving me insane, but hell - that was quite awesome! Smile

If really old equals pre-1990 I don't think I've played much. Even the first Commander Keen was released in '90...

One game I played a few months ago was Maniac Mansion - the predecessor of Day of the Tentacle which I'm sure some of you must have seen. Takes a while to get used to when you normally play the newer type of adventure game, but still very much worth playing.
bogger
@ nutteloos, yeah, I had to mute that fricking music

Top score for me is 20k, feel free to PM me if you beat me., anyone.

Maniac mansion is great, albeit very hard Razz> I have day of the tentacle, and there's an arcade box in one of the rooms where you can play maniac mansion, so that's how I have it.

Ofc, maniac mansion is just Monkey Island, but not as good. I think monkey island goes without saying to be the best game evar!
You have to duel pirates, but you beat them with your insults!
Vladalf
Well I allways liked Robotron, Pacman, Dig dug and allot of other games that I don't remember at the moment.
traxion
dude a game of 10 year old is an old game

stunt is one of the best race games of the time
David_Pardy
10 years old isn't that old Wink Not anymore anyway, considering we've got I'm pretty sure at least 28 years of computer gaming.
MRaftery
Anyone played Monkey Island 2? Absolute classic - don't make em like that anymore!
mattyj
OF the "classics" I did download and start playing LEMMINGS again the other day

Man i loved that game!
David_Pardy
Here's my list of really old/old/semi-old games that I still play from time to time:

Sopwith 2
Star Control 2
Dune 2
Cosmo
Day of the Tentacle
Gods
Theme Hospital
Commander Keen
Jazz Jackrabbit
One Must Fall
Phantasia (this is a rare one)

That's a few of them, I don't play them a lot of the time because I tend to go through a phase with games, for example 2 weeks back I was playing a LOT of Civilization 2 and 4, now I'm going through a Rise of Nations phase. I wonder what'll come next? Smile
Nameless
You know, it's kind of interesting how you talk about something being around for 10 years as old, compared with non-computer games.

(Masters of Magic FTW, BTW)
David_Pardy
The only REAL justification for it is due to the rapidity with which the computer industry has developed, but nonetheless - that pace is still cancelled out but the length of time with which games have existed, and I'm pretty sure there were games in the late 70s, definitely within the early 80s.
Tumbleweed
David_Pardy wrote:
The only REAL justification for it is due to the rapidity with which the computer industry has developed, but nonetheless - that pace is still cancelled out but the length of time with which games have existed, and I'm pretty sure there were games in the late 70s, definitely within the early 80s.

Yeah early 80's for sure, we were all addicted to manic miner and jet pac Very Happy
Pikokola
emm and we still had Super Mario Bross for nintendo, which actually not that old for me, old but not really old.

the thing that old is those who runs on atari or those who released before it ^^, and yes, DIG DUG.
vonboy
the first game i ever played was sonic the hegdehog 2 for the sega genises. i'm 18 now, so i don't thnik i was around when the nes or even the snes or the aformentiouned sega came out. i do realy like super mario bros though.
Fake
From time to time, I will play Streets of Rage, or more commonly known as Bare Knuckles
In my opinion, it is a really really good game. Very exciting, game play is awesome.

Love that game!

From time to time, I will play Streets of Rage, or more commonly known as Bare Knuckles
In my opinion, it is a really really good game. Very exciting, game play is awesome.

Love that game!
misterXY
does Quake II count? it was enjoyable
Sphaerenkern
I've played Marathon ('94) and the mods and other parts of them. (Don't play it anymore)
Marathon is made by Bungie, the same guys who made Halo - if you played Marathon, you will get many hints on Marathon Very Happy
And, what's kinda funny: Marathon already had dual weapons (Pistols and even Dual Shotguns). Halo didn't have that until Halo 2... Very Happy
You can get Marathon and so on at http://source.bungie.org/.
I played Doom, but I don't like it much.
spinout
Hm, old computer games is one thing and old arcadegames are one thing.

So my first computer was a C64 - I liked boulder dash - no other version has been better.

Hm my favorite arcade game is asteriods - also loved space fortress? now that was 1981 or 1980 I played that at a pizzeria.
medievalman26
GO PONG!....whoops heh heh caps lock is my mortal enemy!
Wolf1918
Well, I'm not sure you would call it an old classic but I recently was able to get Might and Magic: The World of Xeen to run on my Windows 2000 computer.

I found a free program online called DOSbox which will open a DOS shell that will allow a lot of old DOS games and other type programs to run on the newer computers.

Using DOSbox I was also able to run The Swords of Xeen which came as a bonus game on my old CD.

Any way, it was fun to play it again after all this time. I'm glad I kept the CD.

Anyone who has old DOS games they would like to try again just do a web search for DOSbox, it's free and they have a great forum for support.

Chad
Nutteloos
DosBox indeed is awesome to run just about any old PC game.

For certain old adventure games I can also recommend ScummVM. (link)
David_Pardy
DOSBox is great! It actually runs some games better than they used to run on my pure MS-DOS 6.22 computer!

ScummVM is also great, and I have it on my phone! Mobile Day of the Tentacle! WOOHOO!
Satori
mattyj wrote:
OF the "classics" I did download and start playing LEMMINGS again the other day

Man i loved that game!

Hell yeah! Lemmings ROCKED! My friend and I used to spend *hours* building a lemming city. We'd discovered that in a certain level, one could actually create a giant endless loop that the lemmings would walk back and forth on. You had to build stairs to both ends of the map, but we managed to get it down and then we'd do stupid stuff with our caged lemmings until we got bored or ran out of stuff to do. But yeah...lemmings was an awesome game!
Nutteloos
I recently gave 'Lost Vikings' another try and I keep being amazed by how fresh and original that game was. The sequel 'Norse by Norsewest' was very playable too.
pradaprince
MarzEz wrote:
does anyone play any of those really old classics like doom, doom 2, stunts, quake etc?
some of these games are still the most awesome around. stunts is my personal favourite.
so, do you still play any of these games or any others? what's the game called and why do you like it?
i like stunts because you can build your own tracks and the physics realism is actually fairly decent. note: to be classified as an old classic, the game must have been made for an OS released before windows NT.

it'd be cool to know who still plays them, and why.

used to. not any more though. x)
roninmedia
I still have a classic arcade pack on my laptop that includes games such as Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Pole Position, Pac-Man, and Dig Dug. Once in a while, I may play the original SimCity online. When I'm bored and play them, I realize I really suck at some of those classics. The classic that gives me the most trouble is Pac-Man. I hate those damn ghosts.
furtasacra
A few old (DOS or Windows 95 vintage) games that I still love:

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream
Why? This adventure game is a bunch of puzzles, wrapped in a mind-f***, wrapped in an enigma. Based on a Hugo award-winning short story of the same name, by Harlan Ellison, who is such a good writer he has had Hugo awards practically falling out of his butt slightly longer than I've been alive.
Warcraft, Warcraft II
Why? Fantasy-themed RTS with good AI, and graphics that were outstanding 12 years ago, and still look good.
Fallout
Why? My favorite RPG, EVER. No stereotypical elves, orcs, dwarves or wizards, just the harsh aftermath of survival after a global thermonuclear war, with a sick sense of humor lurking beneath the surface. Replayable. Your path in the game can change drastically depending on your character creation choices... and it's real time. Time passes. Things happen in other places, whether you're there or not. Your actions trigger events, but stuff still happens if you aren't there to directly influence it.

This list is far from complete... these are just my tops in my favorite game categories.