FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running older versions of IE

TurtleShell
I have IE 7 and want to keep it, but I'd like to test my sites in IE 6 as well. Can I have both and use them simultaniously? I researched it a little in some other forums and it looks like I can't, but I hate to take no for an answer.
ashok
There are a couple of online services you can use for testing browser compatibility...

Check BrowserCAM and BrowserShots
escritor
ashok wrote:
There are a couple of online services you can use for testing browser compatibility...

Check BrowserCAM and BrowserShots

I love BrowserShots.org. They have several different browsers and you can choose what options the screenshot server must use when it access your page.
Cddhesh
i think IE 7 is compatible with IE 6.Sites tested in IE 6 should work in IE 7.Well IE 7 has good features but you can switch frm IE 6 to IE 7.
LostOverThere
Cddhesh wrote:
i think IE 7 is compatible with IE 6.Sites tested in IE 6 should work in IE 7.Well IE 7 has good features but you can switch frm IE 6 to IE 7.

Yes it is, but IE6 isn't compatible with IE7. IE6 doesn't support many things such as transparency and has a horrible rendering engine, different to IE7.
SamiTheBerber
I run IE 6 via wine. It is pretty easy install with ies4linux script. To run it so, you need Windows license too.
escritor
SamiTheBerber wrote:
I run IE 6 via wine. It is pretty easy install with ies4linux script. To run it so, you need Windows license too.

Does Microsoft have a system that checks if a software running in Linux through wine is legal?
Studio Madcrow
Screw IE. If it works in Firefox, it's good enough for me. That's MY approach to testing web designs.
escritor
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Screw IE. If it works in Firefox, it's good enough for me. That's MY approach to testing web designs.

Excuse me, but that is a silly thought. Most people still use Internet Explorer. We webdesigners/developers don't make sites for ourselves, but for other folks to access. The browser they use is their choice, not ours.
Studio Madcrow
escritor wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:

Excuse me, but that is a silly thought. Most people still use Internet Explorer. We webdesigners/developers don't make sites for ourselves, but for other folks to access. The browser they use is their choice, not ours.

Perhaps, but I've found that Firefox follows standards pretty well (but not anally so), so that if a site works in Firefox, it's likely to work on anything.
escritor
Studio Madcrow wrote:
if a site works in Firefox, it's likely to work on anything.

Anything but Internet Explorer. The current stable versions are not standard complaint yet. Further reading: Internet Explorer vs. the Standards by Position is Everything.
SamiTheBerber
escritor wrote:
Does Microsoft have a system that checks if a software running in Linux through wine is legal?
I'm not sure. I haven't test that one ...
LostOverThere
Hmm, WINE used to get detected as a Genuine Windows install, I'm not sure if it does any more though.
Phil
Quote:

Couldn't agree more.
Just get use to it. The average computer user isn't going to use anything other than what comes with their computer. They don't want to download or update or configure, they want to click and have it happen. I get so tired of trying to tell people that there are alternatives.
But the bottom line is, to ignore Explorer is to ignore 70% of internet users.

But, as fate would have it........................................................
I downloaded a program just this week that can render pages is various versions of Explorer.
Multiple IE works pretty good. I was able to view several problems in IE6 that were covered up in IE7.
And I saw this one just this morning. I haven't downloaded it yet (was waiting until I get home) but it looks pretty nifty.
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

And just to confirm what someone brought up earlier, I've had fits the past 3 weeks fighting with a drop-down CSS menu that worked fine in Firefox and IE7, but absolutely blew up in IE6.
JayBee
Cddhesh wrote:

It is not true! IE7 and IE6 are incompatible in some minor things, sou you can have problems with both.

Using more versions of IE on the same windows machine is problematic, because it uses some same DLLs from the newer version. It cause older versions to run differently!
For example, if you have IE7 installed and also have IE6 stand alone package, IE6 will damage some pages, but it is wrong. In pure IE6, the page will be displayed correctly. In pure IE7 it is also displayed correctly so be careful. I thing "Multiple IEs" is the best solution for this.

I personally use ies4linux and I have different "bottle" for all version of IE, so they couldn't interact.

And I personally believe, that what works in Firefox and Opera, works in IE7. If I don't use horrible practices, it really works. Smile After some pages created, I could say, that IE7 is no so bad.
Phil
JayBee wrote:

Using more versions of IE on the same windows machine is problematic, because it uses some same DLLs from the newer version. It cause older versions to run differently!

Quote:

But, as fate would have it........................................................
I downloaded a program just this week that can render pages is various versions of Explorer.
Multiple IE works pretty good. I was able to view several problems in IE6 that were covered up in IE7.

If I understand Mutiple IE correctly, it actually has and uses the different .DLL packages for the respective versions of IE.