FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New idea, please say what you think!

guitarcrazy087
Ok, so i'm coming up with this idea for a site that is "dedicated" to CSS. basically it would contain the folowing:

1. of course a forum for everything css related
2. a chat room, so you can get live help from anyone else who is online
3. individual members accounts, where you can write your own tutorials and such about css
4. link exchange (mainly just sites that have tutorials, or things related to CSS)
5. website reviews
6. website-competitions (whose site it the most user friendly, cleanest, "best website, etc...)
7. tips and tricks and such, just little things that individuals find out that they can share with others

so basically just the ultimate place for CSS web-designers to hang out. a place where you could go and be sure you could find answers to the problems your looking for super quick. So i'm asking for your opinion about my idea. is it totally useless? or do you think it's great?

Thanks so much!

Happy Coding!
flyfamilyguy
That is a great idea guitarcrazy!
I would especially enjoy something like that since I'm really into website creation/design. (I need all the help I can get!)
The xhtml part is pretty simple..it's the CSS that makes it all come together!
I'm In!! Very Happy
richard270384
Definitely a very good idea, and very easy to market.

I wish I'd thought of it - and had the time to put into it.

Goodluck!
guitarcrazy087
Hey guys! Thanks for your input! The only problem though, is that I don't have the time or knowledge to do the whole thing my self. I know css and html, and am learning javascript, but I'd need lots of help from PHP programmers. so anyway, if any one is interested, please contact me. i'm not sure right now if i have the time for the whole thing, or if it would require that much time after it was set up and running, but anyway, it's worth a try!

Thanks! Very Happy
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
Hey guys! Thanks for your input! The only problem though, is that I don't have the time or knowledge to do the whole thing my self. I know css and html, and am learning javascript, but I'd need lots of help from PHP programmers. so anyway, if any one is interested, please contact me. i'm not sure right now if i have the time for the whole thing, or if it would require that much time after it was set up and running, but anyway, it's worth a try!

Thanks! Very Happy

Hows about just creating the forum 'Hollywood', (inside joke) and any interested party's can link to it. After that, the sky is the limit! You will find that all the php programmers, css, xhtml pro's, and java scripters will come just as soon as they learn of your forum.
Maybe you could start with http://freesmfhosting.com

I say, "Go For It!"
swapnilsarwe
Hello friends,
Nice idea, why dont one of us and create an acount with frihost itself and then all designers go for the concept and we will select the best.

As per PHP programming is concern you will find many reading this subject. even i am one of them.
If I am not one of the best, at least I'm not the worst PHP programmer.

So people go ahead with the plan and get some stuff ready for this site.
guitarcrazy087
cool! sounds good. I'll make an account for it. at least for the moment it won't be a domain, but a sub-domain...unless someone would like to sponsor us! xD! so yeah, a couple things that i think would be good for the site.

1. keep it bright! a lot of people will leave sites right away if they're too dark.
2. keep the navigation simple and clear
3. just for now, make a sample page (no php required) and upload it somewhere, and then post the link in this topic.
4. for those making sample sites, make sure you put example comments, and comment fields on the site, as well as examples of links and so on...

If you have any name ideas post them too.

If you would be so kind, would an administrator please sticky this? it would get a lot more views that way, and then have a bigger chance of getting off the ground!

Anyone interested in php coding, please PM me. After we get the account set up, we can work out some sort of way to mutually edit the files or whatever you guys think best.

This is going to have to be a big team effort, at least for whoever is interested in helping out. So thanks in advance for any interest in it!

Joe Very Happy
richard270384
I Don't have a lot of time to help with this project, but I will be keeping an eye out and helping as much as I can.
guitarcrazy087
ok, i've come to a decision. I don't really have time for it either. for it to really take off, it's going to require a ton of work, and i'm busy now anyway with a bunch of other stuff. if someone wants to really work on it...go ahead. sry if i wasted anyones time...i was just seeing if it was doable. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in it anyway. so thanks for your help those of you who said you'd help.
Ghost Rider103
I say it's a great idea, and to go for it.

I'd be willing to help with any graphic design work you need with, just give me a PM if you do need help.

Good luck!
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
ok, i've come to a decision. I don't really have time for it either. for it to really take off, it's going to require a ton of work, and i'm busy now anyway with a bunch of other stuff. if someone wants to really work on it...go ahead. sry if i wasted anyones time...i was just seeing if it was doable. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in it anyway. so thanks for your help those of you who said you'd help.

Quote:
ok, i've come to a decision. I don't really have time for it either.
Well thats just dandy! You started it, but you don't have the time to put into it. Uh.,I'm confused!
Quote:
it's going to require a ton of work, and i'm busy now anyway with a bunch of other stuff.
Then why would you even suggest the idea if you can't be a part of it?
Quote:
...i was just seeing if it was doable
Oh, it's do-able, and can be done without all the time that you seem to not have!
Quote:
there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in it anyway.

Are you kidding? Are you even here, or is this a robot response? Do you not see the number of posts to this thread that you have started?
Come on man!
Ghost Rider103
That's ok though, atleast he started up an idea for somone else that might be interested in doing this.

And if anyone does decide to actually try this idea out, well then i'll still help out with graphics if needed, just send me a PM.
guitarcrazy087
This is what i was thinking when i started this. If there was enough interest, people would be putting up layout ideas and such. Then after tweaking them a bit, we would already have a basic layout. then with some help from some people who know php, we could start uploading and making the site function.

however, i'm not a web-designer by occupation; i'm a student. After seeing that if i make this thing fly, i'd be the one doing all most all the coding (except for php), i decided i wouldn't have time for it. Things have come up after i started this thread, and when i started this thread, i wasn't thinking i would have a whole entire new website to start working on single handedly (as before, except for the php).

Maybe this summer i'll take a whack at it if there's still interest. except i'd start with making a design myself, and then see what people think, and then adding in the php.

anyway, i didn't mean to upset anybody if i have, and you have my apologies.

thanks
tamilparks
very great ideas, i am also having the same ideas
flyfamilyguy
Sorry 'guitarcrazy087', I was having a bad moment. Did not mean to get upset with you. I love the idea, and really hope that it gets off the ground. I am intrigued by the mention of PHP. I do not yet know what it is, but will definately google it! I myself would MAKE the time to oversee this idea but, I'm afraid at this point in time, I do not have enough knowledge of php/layout etc...
By "layout" do you mean the look and feel of the pages? Because I could do that with the little experience that I have, given the time.
I was under the impression that we are just talking about a forum. There are some free forum hosts out there for starters. I mean, what are we talking about here? How much does someone have to know to run a forum? When it comes to php and all that stuff, we would learn from the folks that post in our forum. Thats what it's all about right? Creating a place where interested people can come for tutorials.
I don't know, maybe I'm way off track here, but thats what I thought we were getting at.
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:

That's a very good start! And that would be easy to do.
Quote:

THIS is where I'm stuck. Not sure how to go about creating live chat. But just starting out with a forum would open many doors, since we would attract many people who know how to do this.
Quote:
3. individual members accounts, where you can write your own tutorials and such about css

Not positive, but I think this type of account comes standard with forum software.
Quote:
4. link exchange (mainly just sites that have tutorials, or things related to CSS)
5. website reviews
6. website-competitions (whose site it the most user friendly, cleanest, "best website, etc...)
7. tips and tricks and such, just little things that individuals find out that they can share with others

This can all be done via a forum!
guitarcrazy087
Yes, by saying "layout" i mean the look and feel of the site as well as (in other words) the "design" of the site; where the navigation will be, content, headers and footers.

yeah, a forum isn't hard to make. as far as i know, a regular forum doesn't support what i'm thinking for the individual user tutorials. almost like a blog, with comments of course, and ratings and thinks like that. then you could search for tutorials by user, rating, or views, or possibly topic. that way the best tutorials on any css subject would rise to the top of search lists quickly. also with a users account would come the ability to post a portfolio of websites created by the user using css, which is definitely not a feature that an average forum has.

There are free scripts out there for chat rooms, although i have no clue how easy they are to customize or what. I'm not a php programmer but i think it would be as simple as making a script like those used for comment boxes and changing it a bit so you can see whose online in what chat room and such. possibly you search chat rooms by subject too.

yes the link exchange, website reviews, website competitions, and tips and stuff can all be done on a forum. i'm thinking that for the website competitions at least it would be a separate page of the site, not just a topic on the forum, and would possibly function differently. like the page with the entries on it would simply contain entries, not everybody's comments on the entries, which would make it hard to see what's an entry and what's not. then you can click on the entry, and see every body's comments and ratings as well as the official judges ratings.

so i'm not just thinking a forum. with a forum, i know some people would visit the site for the first time and say "i'm already too involved in a ton of other forums, and this looks like the same old thing. i'm not going to bookmark this." but if you have a site, with a main page that displays featured portfolios, new, competition results, and stuff like that, it would catch more attention.

also, just something that bugs me, is that once you log in, no matter where you are on the site, your logged in on the entire site. so many sites make you log in, then re-log in on their forums.

anyway, that was kinda my vision for it. so making a forum might be a good first step yes. but i don't have time for making/overseeing all of the above. i hope this helps anyone else who might take up the idea. feel free to ask me questions about my post here, and take my ideas.

EDIT: ok, just looking at the frihost site ofter i posted this i saw at the top of the page "create you frihost blog". i didn't sign up so i don't know exactly what it is, but i thinks it's pretty much what i'm thinging of for the site. although it wouldn't be a part of the forum, it would more be a part of the users profile. like after you sign into the site, you could go to your accounts admin panel and add blog posts or whatever. so it would be a part of a users profile, not part of a forum. actually, i guess i'm thinking basically of every user having there own account page (like a myspace page) just for web stuff. so you can see they're portfolio, tutorials, blogs on css, all they're recent posts on the forums, the contests they've won, etc...ok that's all xD

cheers! Very Happy

joe
nivinjoy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
Ok, so i'm coming up with this idea for a site that is "dedicated" to CSS. basically it would contain the folowing:

Quote:

I don't think of it will be LIVE support

5. website reviews

Quote:

This is a very good and interesting one...!!

So i am waiting for the site...When do you plan to launch the site...???
guitarcrazy087
well, if you've read some of the other comments you'd know that i'm not going to do it. I don't have the time to do the whole thing by myself, or the knowledge necessary...i would more or less oversee it. anyway, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in making the site. i guess some people think it's a cool idea but it won't fly unless someone has, or wants to make time for it, which it would take a lot of, or a little help from a ton of people. I didn't promise that i was going to do it either. when i started this thread i was seeing if there was enough interest and people out there who were willing to help with it to make it work. i wasn't saying i'd like some help with a project of mine.

if anyone else has the time for it, or can get the help necessary to get it going, go ahead, and feel free to take any of my ideas. but as for now, i'm no longer doing it.

sry if i got anyones hopes up...i tried to do what i could and it just didn't work out.

thanks,
Joe
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
well, if you've read some of the other comments you'd know that i'm not going to do it. I don't have the time to do the whole thing by myself, or the knowledge necessary...i would more or less oversee it. anyway, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in making the site. i guess some people think it's a cool idea but it won't fly unless someone has, or wants to make time for it, which it would take a lot of, or a little help from a ton of people. I didn't promise that i was going to do it either. when i started this thread i was seeing if there was enough interest and people out there who were willing to help with it to make it work. i wasn't saying i'd like some help with a project of mine.

if anyone else has the time for it, or can get the help necessary to get it going, go ahead, and feel free to take any of my ideas. but as for now, i'm no longer doing it.

sry if i got anyones hopes up...i tried to do what i could and it just didn't work out.

thanks,
Joe

Hey Hollywood, (You know who this is don't you?). Please don't give up! There is plenty of interest in this project. (Can't believe that you don't see that!) Maybe you could give us some guidance. As far as I'm concerned, a BASIC FORUM would work for a start. (I still say, and will continue to say, "START A FORUM" until it either happens, or my Freekin' Brain melts!), because all the knowledge to accomplish the things that you mention, eg.,php, scripting etc.., will surely come via our Forum. THEN the site will naturally evolve into what we envisioned! (Of course that would mean hosting that allows the kind of code that would make up our site.)

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but there is free space out there for a forum, (One that I know of is SMF. Just give me the go-ahead, and I'll start it for us!
Of course, everyone involved would have to advertise via email, forum siggy's and such. THEN, once we get some members, the sky will be the limit!
flyfamilyguy
OK..,
NOW I need to get back to my own code! Gotta' fix some tags. If IE didn't already Suck, it Sure Sucks Now! Mad
guitarcrazy087
ok, once again, i am done with this project. at least for the time being. I could over see it, but i DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR ANY CODING FOR IT. so if it's going to take off someone else who has the time will have to do all the coding, or a group of people. thats why i said to put up layout ideas and i would say what i thought about them. if people don't start coding, then it's not going to happen. all we need for a layout is something original containing a menu, header, content space, and footer. just like any other site. of course, like any designer should try to do with all they're work, you should try to keep it original and clean, but that's all i was looking for. maybe there is interest, but not enough to get people to start designing, and thats exactly what it's going to take to make it work. I'm not going to be working on this project anymore unless someone comes up with a layout design, and then i'll probably try to get it going or help out some way. but as for now, there's not enough interest, or people who are willing to code.

go ahead and start a forum if you would like. as it is, i don't have time to be moderating a forum if i started it myself. anyway, for now there are still plenty of resources out there to become a great css designer, so it's not like you can't move forward with out this site. as i have said, if someone likes the idea enough to try it, go ahead. there's nothing stopping you. all i have time for is to oversee it; tell people what i was thinking of for it, and how i thought it should work. anyway, it's cool if someone else wants to do it.
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
ok, once again, i am done with this project.

Aaaahhh Craaaap! Boo-Hoo, and all that stuff! Embarassed
Have it your way Joe/Hollywood.
BTW..the Church Site is coming along well.
Very Happy
guitarcrazy087
haha, thx, but for some reason i can't connect to my host so idk what's going to happen... Sad
flyfamilyguy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
haha, thx, but for some reason i can't connect to my host so idk what's going to happen... Sad
Must be free hosting. If not, then you better cancel your account! Shocked
guitarcrazy087
no no, it's fine now! thx. xD
flyfamilyguy
Ok..,
HERE WE GO! (Hopefully!)
I started a forum. Geeks-R-Us.
If all who are interested in getting Guitarcrazy's idea off the ground would interact with, and advertise this forum, I believe that we could achieve the desired results!

I have not modified anything concerning this forum. It will require more Administrators/Moderators than just myself. (If you would like to participate then please contact me.)

I realize that what Guitarcrazy is envisioning is a Website of our own. Designed, and created BY US. But we need the knowledge to do this correct? So what better place to start than a forum of our own? A place Where we can attract those with the 'know-how', and willingness to help!

Very Happy
flyfamilyguy
tamilparks wrote:
very great ideas, i am also having the same ideas

Like your Website 'tamilparks'. Just wish that I could read it!
flyfamilyguy
What, is no one interested in being a part of the Forum? People...this is not going to happen unless we start SOMWHERE! If anyone has even visited the forum, you will notice that there is not much going yet. But, that requires that YOU get involved. Gimme' ideas folks, and I would be happy to spend the time necessary to create boards/forums, and all the rest!

If you have some knowledge, than why not attempt to put it on Blast? Show everyone what you got!
We could all end up with a great web site of our own! I really do not understand why there has been no response to this thread. I mean..everyone has expressed interest in 'guitarcrazy's' idea, but as of yet, No One has made any move towards making it happen! Hey...If we have the time to hang out in this forum, then we DEFINATELY have the time Collectively to bring this idea to fruition!

SO...Grab a beer (or some kool-aid if you're under age), and lets "Get our Geek On!"