FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

messed up animes

rostom
by messed up, imean animes that really screw with your head...in movies, we'd probably call them psychological thrillers or even horror.

think ...monster, 20th century boys (manga), kaiji (my current favourite), legendary gambler tetsuya, and code gaess.

what's the most messed up series you've ever seen?
crimson_aria
hhmm.. messed up anime.. the anime that first popped into my mind was School Days. oh gawd.. very twisted. though i'd say it's in a different sense. XD i mean.. it didn't screw my head, the anime itself is messed up. LOL.

Well, as for your question, it's not a psychological thriller but like you, I have to say it's Code Geass. God knows how much i couldn't sleep well the night I watched Episode 23 (was it episode 23? the euphienator incident). And up until now, I cannot bring myself to see that episode. It ruined everything. It affected me so much. XD The plot is great and the twists are the types you'd die to untangle. Its story is messing up my head. I can't wait to know what will happen next. hehe. Code Geass is one of the best anime I've seen out there. So I'm highly anticipating its second season. I'm so excited for April.

It's all I can think of for now. Might add more later.
QrafTee
Messed up anime, huh? First one to come to mind is definitely Evangelion, the series as disturbing, but the movie was even more disturbing... so many people... just died... so horribly. Other than that is Melancholy of Haruhi... she's just a very weird girl in a semi-twisted anime. Then there was that one anime that reminded me of Evangelion, but I don't remember what the name of it was. That pretty much sums it up.
driftingfe3s
I also found Evangelion disturbing. Elfen Lied and Akira was also disturbing. I remeber saying to myself lots of time, "wow thats that F***ED up S***" watching anime, but only those two seem to come to mind right now.

Also FLCL was pretty crazy in terms of having a random/no sense plot.
ddukki
driftingfe3s wrote:
... and Akira was also disturbing ...
Also FLCL was pretty crazy in terms of having a random/no sense plot.
Yeah, Akira was the first "real" (for lack of a better term) Anime that I watched. I literally had to watch it in intervals because I was so freaked out. I had already seen the bloody Kenshin movie (can't remember what it was called ... anyone?) but this one was mentally horrifying rather than just visually.

On the other end of the spectrum, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi and FLCL were awesome. They were strange, crazy, and above all fun to watch. Don't get me wrong, Akira was awesome, too; it's just that I wouldn't watch it at night, alone.
Pikokola
Messed anime?

Claymore...
I think.. they forced it into a "happy ending" with nobody dies in the end... - compare it with the manga.

Elven Lied...
cute, mad, and lot's of blood... *___* - I dropped the series halfway eventough I already download them all..

Naruto...
should I told you why?

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
it's just an overrated anime I think...

Jigouku Shoujo
A whole series with same plot every episode...

and much more...
Aiz
Lets see....Haven't watched anime in forever, but there were a few which are still stuck in my mind:

first that popped into my mind was Di Gi Charat
I first saw it in my high school's anime club and god, those 2 hrs spend watching it must have killed a few dozen of my braincells. It's not that it was bloody and disturbing or anything, it was just so....random. If I recall correctly, each episode was about 10 minutes long and it consisted of .....very random things that made no sense. with random inserts of....finger like people and weird sound-suffixes after sentences ( eg: this is a pen, nya. )@___@ just thinking about it is giving me the creeps again.

Ebichu
it was a very....strange perverted-ish anime about a....talking hamster. There's so much weird violence and ecchi-ness. (It was made by the same studio that made Evagelion). Not much more to say other than it was very....messed up.

Gantz
Granted, I only saw the first ep before I gave up, so I cant say this hold's true for the whole series but, the first ep was totally...out there. it started with pretty much...a naked woman. Then is followed by gore, and er, gore. >.>; But my friend said the story was really interesting and the anime version didnt even begin to scratch the surface of that. who knows.
blk3
first three that comes to mind is Evangelion, Akira and FCLC.
blk3
Here's another one Elfen Lied, watch it and you'll see why its so sick and twisted.
roninmedia
I can come up with a series of series that are messed up.

I would have to agree with the assessment of School Days. It's not a subtle psychological damaging series; it is somewhat clear what the ending would be like around the mid-point of the series. Although, the ending was clearly disturbing.

With Evangelion and Fooly Cooly, they were messed up because you may not have understood it the first time around. Evangelion as the subtle marks of depression and questioning reality. Fooly Cooly was wild and insane the first time I watched it, but I watched it the second time around and I did find a underlying meaning, but of course the arts has different interpretations for everyone.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Serial Experiments Lain. That is easily the most psychological anime I've ever watched. Some may say it was inspired by Evangelion, but it is clearly deeper and much more of a masterpiece when it comes to screwing with your head.
Sundae
Vote for FLCL & Excel Saga
can't seem to understand this two anime
lots of dunno-where-from event, crappy jokes, some unexplainable scene, etc
Pikokola
Aiz wrote:
Lets see....Haven't watched anime in forever, but there were a few which are still stuck in my mind:

first that popped into my mind was Di Gi Charat
I first saw it in my high school's anime club and god, those 2 hrs spend watching it must have killed a few dozen of my braincells. It's not that it was bloody and disturbing or anything, it was just so....random. If I recall correctly, each episode was about 10 minutes long and it consisted of .....very random things that made no sense. with random inserts of....finger like people and weird sound-suffixes after sentences ( eg: this is a pen, nya. )@___@ just thinking about it is giving me the creeps again.

that's what Di Gi Charat means, it's about parody of Japanese daily life... Just like Kariage-Kun or something like that, so when you don't know which part is funny, you'll get nothing from it ^^.

And it's just 10 minutes longs because the manga is just a 4koma manga (wiki it if you don't know what is 4koma manga)
gabeos
FLCL has shown up a lot here and i'd just like to put in my two cents. Honestly, FLCL is probably my favorite anime and even though it seems pretty random the first time through, after seeing the end, reading a little on wikipedia and then watching it again it makes a LOT of sense and is probably one the the most well-thought out anime's around. Every time i watch it i notice new things.

Elfen lied was pretty messed up, that's true, but in the end I think it kind of amounted to nothing. There wasn't really anything to gain out of watching other than seeing lots of naked girls tearing arms off...

Angel Sanctuary has a whole bunch of incest in only three episodes, but is actually quite good. I wish there were more because it doesn't really have time to begin any sort of long adventure or plot, it basically just sets up a world...

I didn't find akira that disturbing either... there was violence, but not sooo much as to make it difficult to watch... maybe i'm just desensitized though.
votd
I guess some very messed up animes are:

FLCL - because of the jokes that are not understandable until you will watch the series for about four times, or even more. That doesn't mean that this anime is bad - it's amazing! Everything about it is perfect.

Excel Saga - because of the jokes, humour, everything. And that the series from episode 15 is starting to suck besides some really funny episodes. Anyway, it's classic man, classic!

Evangelion - for example, try to watch "End of Evangelion" in the middle of the night (without being drunk or something) and watch it carefully. Night with no sleep - guaranteed. Also, you will turn into a fine emo for like a week or something. This is so messed up and sad...

Dokuro-Chan - for humour, for amazing scenes of violence and blood splattering all over the floor... for the anime itself. It's so ****** messed up that you actually can't understand it!
RubySlasher
Princess Tutu is definitely messed up. It comes off as a cute shojo anime, but it's really creepy. REALLY creepy. Still cute, though.

Also Alien 9, though it's only 4 episodes long.
UntitledDocument
Did somebody say Hentei? No? So I will.

HENTEI!

XD
HalfBloodPrince
UntitledDocument wrote:
Did somebody say Hentei? No? So I will.

HENTEI!

XD

LMFAO. Yes. Well, most of them are just perverted. The really messed up ones...well...this is what happened in one (I really couldn't be bothered to look up the name). Anyway, a girl is in her room, when her neighbor and three friends (all female) come in and start raping her. The girl starts screaming and telling them to stop, but when they stop she tells them to start again. Then she starts screaming and her mom comes in, raping all of them (including the daughter).

I think that deserves the award for the most messed up anime. Laughing
Pikokola
Hentei?
did you means Hentai?

Hmm... I don't think all of them are messed up... but yes, most of them are messed up since many of them are comes from some strange fetishes from japan... and you know.. Japanese people tend to have strange fetishes...
Zombie
Death note and Elfen Lied are pretty messed up. At least in the creepy goth way that i think you mean it.
leosthenerd
theres lots of messed up anime out there...

on another note, I think the editors of pokemon have slipped up a little with diamond and pearl...I've seen panty-shots all over the net, kinda disturbing...XD
crimson_aria
Code Geass R2, this series is so much more messed up than its first season.
rshackelford
The movie Perfect Blue was pretty messed up. Also anything by Hayao Miyazaki is at least a little messed up, like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
leosthenerd
true, it is. Very Happy
Pikokola
leosthenerd wrote:
theres lots of messed up anime out there...

on another note, I think the editors of pokemon have slipped up a little with diamond and pearl...I've seen panty-shots all over the net, kinda disturbing...XD

Oh god... I should watch it... they put panties on pikachu, that will be epic??? XD

Quote:
true, it is.

what's so true?
amperx
messed up animae.. hmm,

first would be evangelion, really twisted

naruto - most of you know the reason already

gantz- because of all that blood and the insides XD

claymore, wth