FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do I need a more powerful Power Supply?

Urban
Hello,

I actually have four cathodes lights and 1 LED fan to do some tuning with my computer and I was wondering if my power supply would support them. My Psu is only 320w and I have a 400GB Sata HD, 3GB of RAM, 2.2gHz dual core Intel (processor) and a 8500 GT (nvidia, graphic card). I asked some of my friends and they said that 320w was already not enought to run what I already have in my computer but I wanted to get the opinion of more person so please reply if you have some knowledge with computer tuning/Power Supply, etc.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Total Space: 381.6 GB

Thanks in advance.
MarzEz
there's one way to find out: plug the PSU in and turn on the computer. it probably won't cause any damage. if it fails, get a more powerful PSU.
hope it helps.
Urban
Thanks for the answer, do you know how I can know if it's working or not? Should I go.. I don't know.. In the BIOS and check the temparature? It would be nice if you could reply asap because I would like to do it today, thanks in advance ;P
MarzEz
well, if the bios beeps when you boot the computer, look up the beep code, it might be a low power input beep code. also, if your computer spontaneously reboots, you need something more powerful.
gtg now, will edit later.

[edit here]
Urban
Well I did all the tunning and it's working perfectly. I don't know if it's changing something but when I play video games I try to close my cathode because (imo) the graphic take more power but anyways, thanks a lot for your advice, I wanted to be sure it wouldn't damage my computer.. thank you!
MarzEz
glad to see it seems to work.
if your computer starts to crash frequently, or spontaneously reboot, you have a problem.
otherwise, you should be fine.
ssthanapati
I havent seen anything other than burnt psu in case of overloading it....

Since its working fine then u dnt need 2 worry i guess
ocalhoun
Another symptom of a underpowered power supply is that some of your accessories/drives/whatever won't work, while others will. So, if your DVD drive doesn't work, try seeing if it does when you disconnect a few other things. If this happens you definitely need more power.

You could get a bigger one, and I would definitely suggest doing so if you add any more accessories. Or, you could do what I did, and add another one. That requires a lot of case cutting and a little wiring, though, so it is for experts only.
Craeft
Urban wrote:
Hello,

I actually have four cathodes lights and 1 LED fan to do some tuning with my computer and I was wondering if my power supply would support them. My Psu is only 320w and I have a 400GB Sata HD, 3GB of RAM, 2.2gHz dual core Intel (processor) and a 8500 GT (nvidia, graphic card). I asked some of my friends and they said that 320w was already not enought to run what I already have in my computer but I wanted to get the opinion of more person so please reply if you have some knowledge with computer tuning/Power Supply, etc.

Thanks in advance.

There's a high chance you're gonna want to go with a little higher PSU. 320 is kinda low for much of anything these days unless you have a simple market computer. I have 2 pairs of cathodes (2 red 2 blue), a series of UV LEDs that I put in, a series of blue LEDS, lighted SATA cables, an 80mm side LED (x4) fan, and 8 LEDs in the front of the case. I am running a 650W PSU to power all this along with a GeForce 8800GTX OC et. al.

Here's the thing about PSUs.. interestingly, it isn't the overall wattage that matters so much as the amperage per rail. Your 12 volt rail will have a higher amperage than your 5v rail on a GOOD PSU. STAY AWAY FROM LOGISYS™!!!!!!! After tearing apart one of our PSUs rated at 600W, we found that the PSU was saggin on the 12v rail to about 11.3 standard. There are "safeties" put in place on the circuit boards of PSUs that prevent over and under voltage. However, on the cheaper PSUs, you will find that some things are just not connected or completely removed from the circuit board. Other things will be added to prevent overvoltage, but will not be properly calibrated. This was the case with ours. We had to actually take the PSU and remove these safetys and up the voltage to 13ish (actually, we installed a Potentiometer to allow for 11.5 to 14.5V depending on the PSUs use. We're actually using it NOW to power multiple HAM radios).

A really good thing to look at is possibly a piece of software (most motherboards come with the software now) that allows you to monitor your voltage on each rail. Keep an eye on it. Anything over a 10% voltage drop is considered BELOW SPEC! Some are actually really tight and call spec at 5%. These are usually the better models. So... if you have a 12V PSU, then 10.8V is absolute spec range. At 11.3, you need to start worrying.

In short, what you need to look for is don't worry so much about PSU wattage without taking voltage into account. A good way to figure out what it SHOULD be is to look at the side of your box and see what the Amperage for each rail is... then use the Power law. ( W=VA )

In VERY short, I would recommend nothing under 500W PSU for today's stuff. Especially if you're running aesthetic lighting on it. You can get a decent PSU for fairly cheap.

Again...

STAY AWAY FROM LOGISYS!!!! They do not support their product and my computer almost smoked from it. They have not even answered my messages to them. Lawsuit may be pending real soon.

EDIT:
An off-topic question/suggestion. If you're running 3GHz RAM, then I am assuming you are running 3 sticks of 1GHz DDR2? IF this is the case, here is just a recommendation that you don't need to follow and has nothing to do with your original question... pull out one stick or add one stick. Either way, you will most likely find improved performance on your computer overall. DDR2 requires true 2-channel... so it works in pairs. Your motherboard will have your RAM slots offset from each other (and possibly colour coded) so you can match the sticks to the appropriate channel. Two sticks per channel.

If you already knew this, then ignore it. I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Just thought I'd throw that out there to you. Smile
Urban
Thanks for your answer, and I presume you are new on our community so welcome! I will check for the voltage and my PSU isn't a Logysis :p

For my RAM, I have 2x512 and 2x1, I know its not the best but it came with the computer (I haven't made this computer, it was a pre-built one and I changed nothing except that I tuned it up..)

Anyways, thanks again for your reply, you help me alot!
Craeft
Urban wrote:
Thanks for your answer, and I presume you are new on our community so welcome! I will check for the voltage and my PSU isn't a Logysis :p

For my RAM, I have 2x512 and 2x1, I know its not the best but it came with the computer (I haven't made this computer, it was a pre-built one and I changed nothing except that I tuned it up..)

Anyways, thanks again for your reply, you help me alot!

Semi-new. Been here a while, but I haven't really posted much because I've been playing with wires and antennas and what have you. Smile

My recommendation would be to pull the 1G and check performance. What type are you running? If you're using PC26400, let me know. Wink *hint hint*

Glad I could help. One thing I like about these forums is that they hold minimal "asshattery". Most forums are full of trolls who have nothing better to do than be rude to people with questions. I have experienced that minimally here so when I have an answer, I like to try to help out when I can.

Good luck on the PSU and if you have any other questions about either PSUs or WiFi, feel free to look for me. Both my father and I are HAM ops and we tend to play with things, break things so we can fix em, that type of thing... so hopefully, I can help out. Smile Living in rural Michigan, I don't have much else to do.
Davidgr1200
These days it's the graphics card which takes most power, so if you upgrade that sometime in the future you will probably have to upgrade your PSU as well.
Craeft
Davidgr1200 wrote:
These days it's the graphics card which takes most power, so if you upgrade that sometime in the future you will probably have to upgrade your PSU as well.

It's true. Hell... half the time, you needt o upgrade it just for the connector types. Amazing how many connector types they can implement into a "standard" system.
mrcblake
Urban wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

If you you are using a p4 motherboard then I recomend a 450 watt power supply and up with a 20 plus 4 connector. If you are not sure what a 20 plus 4 is, any computer shop that sells them will know what you mean. This is a site that you can use to buy one online: http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=PWR.
triniDj27
In my experience, a 320 psu for your system is too low. It may work fine for now, but in the long run we all have to go the right way.

I'll have to say that you SHOULD change your psu to something with a capacity of 450w or higher. It'll cost you less now, believe me.