FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your typing speed? (WPM)

HalfBloodPrince
Have you ever taken a real typing test before? What were your results?

In an alpha-numeric paragraph test (making you type both numbers and letters) I scored 79 WPM*, which is categorized as "exceptionally fast". On those pointless little ones where you type things like aja baja caja ana bana cana afa bafa cafa, etc. I scored 116 WPM.

What about you?

*WPM is words per minute.
Keran
Hmm I did take such test few years ago, but it was in Polish language, I had about 500 score(Symbols per minute I think) and 94% correctness, I had to type like 4 or 5 pages of some story and then numbers and symbols...
I never checked how fast can I type in English, typing in Polish is a lot harder because of all the special letters that require holding the alt key. If You have any online test I'll be happy to take one ;]
Srs2388
2800WMP....
actually around 120...
scotty
et Speed: 73 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 93%
Gross Speed: 78 WPM
(words/minute)

typingtest.com

It is a difficult one because it includes some difficult words and the mind has to process the spelling as well. If the words are simple you can type quicker.
Nameless
ONce i trie dto take a typying tetst to see just what my word per minutes were but I could never magan enoghj accuracry to beother finish8ing jit.

And that's not even an exaggeration of how bad my typing gets when I try to type quickly. Laughing
Aredon
To be honest I do not remember the last time I took one of these tests! Or even what my score was... I bet I can get a lot higher now that I have voice dictation though Very Happy
Aless
I temp and I had to take one when registering for my agency. I clock about 75 wpm when warmed up. Unfortunately, my downfall is error rate! I taught myself how to type, so I still get slowed down with correcting myself, especially if I get to typing TOO fast.
saratdear
Very low, actually. 30 words per minute.

I never had any formal training in typing or anything, just from using the computer, so I am actually surprised I have this much speed. Smile
william
Well, I taught myself how to type. Touch typing just naturally came to me. When I'm not lazy, I can type at a constant speed of 75-80 wpm, but I am able to shoot up to 120 wpm at some points. However, normally, I type quite a bit slower. These speeds only occur when I'm typing long essays and whatnot. Like right now, I'm typing around 50 wpm or so. It's Sunday, and I feel lazy, thus resulting in a slower speed. I also have an issue of when I'm typing at a really high speed (around 100 wpm), I tend to lose form with my fingers banging into each other and then eventually a complete loss in accuracy.
hunnyhiteshseth
Well I had measured my typing speed in cpm(characters per minute) and it was around 250cpm

So, assuming 1 word = 5 characters

I would get around 50wpm.
FriBogdan
Hm... because english is not my native language and i had to pay extra attention to the words... i managed to reach 39 words per minute Neutral. I didn't think i would perform so bad Neutral. I'm writing alot ... and i write fast. Imagine that i'm using IM and i'm a coder Smile).

Anyway... it was interesting Smile.
unknownc1c
i remember taking typing classes in middle school, and my typing speed was ok, but i'm sure it's much much much better now. I'm on the computer all the time, typing to all my friends, posting on forums like this, programming games, etc. I typed all this like like 10 seconds :p haha. So I'm sure mines pretty high up there without a doubt Smile Wink
kicy
I type now at 30 wpm, but I used to type up to 60 wpm in my business class. I just don't like typing faster then my brain could think Wink
Stevezorr
The last time I took a typing test was in elementary school, I scored about 45-50 WPM on average. I think my speed has only slightly increased, but I am not sure. When I tried to take the test on typingtest.com, it would crash my Internet browser (maybe this is only for FireFox? I haven't tried it with Internet Explorer yet).
rufa
Went on and tried typingtest.com - got ~ 60 wpm. I guess it would be faster if it was in Swedish (my main language) though.
Sephy22
last time I tested my speed it was around 35wpm, that without taking any lessons and mainly developed while playing counter strike. :p
my brother however has about 130wpm, how he does it, I have no idea.
CaffeinatedCandy
Last time I tested it was 62 WPM with 100% accuracy.

However, my accuracy is only that high because I use the backspace button, eve when they tell me not to. I'm just a spelling and grammar Nazi Razz
J-Evil
24 words per minute lol :$ I'm a peck-typer tho.
SpellcasterDX
Mmmm those are hard paragraphs to type, so I couldn't type as fast cause of the long, complex words, but I was still on the lower end of my average speed. (Usually my speed is in the high 70's/low 80's) Here are my results:

Net Speed: 67 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 94%
Gross Speed: 71 WPM
(words/minute)

Pretty good considering the difficulty of those paragraphs. Smile
missdixy
Around 100 WPM and I only use two or three fingers to type, I never learned to do it formally or anything.
SpellcasterDX
missdixy wrote:
Around 100 WPM and I only use two or three fingers to type, I never learned to do it formally or anything.

That's pretty amazing. You never ever took a keyboarding class and yet you type 100 WPM? Damn!
k_s_baskar
Here is mine

Net Speed: 62 WPM

(words/minute)

Accuracy: 92%
ankit9099
Well generally I type too slow. But my typing speed has improved since some time from now. There are many websites which allow speed of typing to be tested so I went to one and gave the test. At my first attempt the typing speed came to be 15 words per minute. It is quite horrific, but the I gave the test again and my speed came to 24 words per minute and I think this is quite acceptable. Now I am trying to improve my speed more than that.
CTMiB
Better than I had originally expected:

Gross speed: 95 WPM
Accuracy: 96%
Net speed: 92 WPM

(based on a 2-minute test at typingtest.com)
ashish2005
There was this flash game which I played on a site. The site had flash games and highscores were recoded. I played the typing flash game and in my first attempt I was able to do a 50+ wpm typing. I do not know how accurate the flash measured my typing but I was able to secure the 1st place which I hold till this day. Smile
snowboardalliance
Net Speed: 47 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 50 WPM
(words/minute)

Wow, not so good. I'm not too slow normally, I think it was hardest to read that and quickly type it.

Edit:

did it again (different test) and I was ready this time.
Net Speed: 55 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 57 WPM
(words/minute)
HamsterMan
70 WPM 100% accurace. 81 WPM 98%
eggg
Went through keyboarding when I was 11 or so and got up to 100wpm then. I may be faster now, or I may have gotten lazy. Hard to say.
SpellcasterDX
eggg wrote:
Went through keyboarding when I was 11 or so and got up to 100wpm then. I may be faster now, or I may have gotten lazy. Hard to say.

Why don't you take a typing test to find out?

http://typingtest.com/
molif
im just average... 65 wpm.. not too fast, not too slow..
SpellcasterDX
molif wrote:
im just average... 65 wpm.. not too fast, not too slow..

Actually that's pretty good. I think the average is actually around 40-50 WPM.
ninjakannon
missdixy wrote:

Wow! That's impressive! I don't know anybody who can type that fast yet still doesn't use the taught methods.

I got 51WPM at typetest.com. I find that I'm not that accurate when I type quickly. Also, this is just proof of something I've known for years; I've been typing for a long time, and was taught, but I'm a lazy typer, content with just 30 words per minute. I find that most of the typing I do usually involves some level of thought. This means I cannot actually type hurriedly anyway as it takes more thought to hit the right keys, and I can't think of what to write at the same time.

I should speed up though, would save me time when typing things like this for which I don't have to think that much for.
Hammy
Net Speed: 57 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 61 WPM
(words/minute)

2:30 am .. lol

I type with 4 fingers at most lol, and i had to look at the keyboard because i cant concentrate at this time of night.

Plus im not good at spelling. =[
The-Ron-Man
I can type up to about 110 WPM, but that's actually rather excruciating on my joints. I type at about 80 WPM when typing casually.
Donutey
Accounting for mistakes, I'm in the mid seventies wpm wise. I could probably go faster, but since I rarely if ever need to type faster (I rarely transcribe things, and I can't produce coherent sentences much faster than I type), I haven't really put any effort into it.
the-guide
I'm very bad, very low speed and also low accuracy, Laughing so I always, have to recheck them at least two times before I click SUBMIT or SEND.
radzz
im to slow it says im off the chart how slow i am Razz only just joking im ia avrage i think but iv never toke a test cant be botherd with the baby shit like aja ajka jakal ajklap Wink
Gieter
Net Speed: 76 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 95%
Gross Speed: 80 WPM
(words/minute)

When I learned typing, the accuracy was measured by every character you got wrong and not every word. Using backspace was impossible. Good old days. Smile
raine dragon
I kept stopping because I kept spelling things wrong >.<;;

Net Speed: 47 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 50 WPM
(words/minute)
uuuuuu
I honestly don't know my typing speed, maybe now would be a great time to find out.

Typing speed is generally measured in words per minute. Let me set out to type as many words as I can in 2 minutes, and then count the number of words typed and divide by two to determine my words per minute. 1 2 3 go!

Aardvark
Boobies
California
Dog
Elephant
Firetruck
Gullible
Horse
Igloo
Jack
Kangaroo
Llama
Monkey
Nothing
Ostrich
Penguin
Queen
Rhinoceros
Samaritan
Taffy
Unicorn
Victory.

Man, that's 22 words, for an average of 11 words per minute.
You guys are all a lot faster typists than me.
No wonder I don't post enough!

Love to all of you fast and slow typists!

Uwe
Akito
200+ WPM for me, I love typing, its like......just pressing buttons instead of handwriting.....
Usually people would regret that but hey its fun :\
My friends think typing is dumb cause all you do is press buttons to commutate but I think its WAY WAY better than those, also I get access to my grades and stuff by a click of a mouse and a couple buttons :\

200+ WPM is just a prediction.
HalfBloodPrince
^^ Not to be blunt, but 200 wpm = 3.33 words per second.
Akito
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
^^ Not to be blunt, but 200 wpm = 3.33 words per second.

Sarrrcasim Very Happy I do 80 words per minute (max)
Seiji
I got 58 wpm, but its harder to type when your focusing on not making errors and copying it down.
Gieter
Akito wrote:
200+ WPM for me, I love typing, its like......just pressing buttons instead of handwriting.....
Usually people would regret that but hey its fun :\
My friends think typing is dumb cause all you do is press buttons to commutate but I think its WAY WAY better than those, also I get access to my grades and stuff by a click of a mouse and a couple buttons :\

CPM, characters per minute? Or you must type at godspeed!
scotty
200 wpm.... as if! The world record is only like 150 or something I believe!
ninjakannon
scotty wrote:
200 wpm.... as if! The world record is only like 150 or something I believe!

Exactly, I would struggle to get 200 words a minute if they were all just 'a', 'cause I'm sure I could only just do 3.3 a second, and keeping it up would give me major hand and wrist ache!

Akito wrote:

So you don't actually know?

Do a typing test and tell us what you really get.
djcaution
does anyone have a link to an online typing speed test website I can find this out on??
ninjakannon
djcaution wrote:
does anyone have a link to an online typing speed test website I can find this out on??

Just search Google for websites, there are various.
Crazy_Canuck
scotty wrote:
(words/minute)
(words/minute)

typingtest.com

It is a difficult one because it includes some difficult words and the mind has to process the spelling as well. If the words are simple you can type quicker.

Ooooh!! This is very cool! I got:

Net Speed: 89 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 90 WPM
(words/minute)

I went back to correct what I knew were mistakes. I'm pretty fast because I transcribe as a hobby regularly twice a week.

ETA: I did the Zebras one first. I just did "The Enchanted Typewriter" and did even better:

Net Speed: 99 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 102 WPM
(words/minute)

Very Happy
Drawingguy
When I've taken those tests, it usually ends up around 60 to 70 words per minute. I don't mind, because when you think about it, when you're typing something meaningful, oftentimes it doesn't simply flow at 80+ words per minute. You have to think about what you write, even if you're having an online conversation.
bulek
Net Speed: 66 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 91%
Gross Speed: 70 WPM
(words/minute)
zjosie729
My typing speed varies all the time.. from about 65 to 85. I wish I was faster.
trainamdinh
I know unclearly about my ability, but I think i can type 110 words per minute, maybe Very Happy
trainamdinh
Ah, but what's length of each word? If they contain 3 or 4 char, i type 100 - 110 WPM Wink
My program is TypingMaster, and what about you?
Crazy_Canuck
My understanding is that most typing tests calculate an average word length of 5 characters, although I don't see anything on www.typingtest.com outlining their methodology.

typingtest will also calculate speed as characters per minute, but I haven't tried that one yet to see if I can figure out the conversion rate.

Later today maybe!!

I got a 109 wpm with 100% accuracy on the Wizard of Oz test on that site last night in my first attempt. Makes a difference if you typed it once or twice before. Wink

ETA: just did Wizard twice, once in char per minute and once words. The conversion rate (assuming that my rate second time was slightly faster) does appear to be average word length of 5 characters.

Test 1: 579 CPM (characters/minute) Accuracy: 100% Gross Speed: 579 CPM

Test 2: 109 WPM (words/minute) Accuracy: 98% Gross Speed: 111 WPM
indianinworld
Hey
Cool

My typing speed, i.e., words i type per minute would be 80 to 100 words with over 90 percent correctness. But what is big deal in typing so fast ?? It doesnot makes sense to type such fast. It may be technical qualification, but not really gonna help you to do anything in your work - Just like our College semester subjects... Laughing

Happy TYPiNg

Keep Smling - keEP liVING !!!!!

SpellcasterDX
indianinworld wrote:
Hey
Cool

My typing speed, i.e., words i type per minute would be 80 to 100 words with over 90 percent correctness. But what is big deal in typing so fast ?? It doesnot makes sense to type such fast. It may be technical qualification, but not really gonna help you to do anything in your work - Just like our College semester subjects... Laughing

Happy TYPiNg

Keep Smling - keEP liVING !!!!!

The big deal is that there are certain jobs where you need to be able to type fast to get things done in an efficient and timely manner. I believe being a secretary is one of them.
Crazy_Canuck
I can't imagine any job in a corporate or office environment where being able to type quickly does not increase one's efficiency--whether you're a secretary or the CEO.

There's a diminishing return on anything over 70 wpm, likely, but in an age where we must process information faster than ever before, and communicate quickly and effectively to others, it seems to me the faster we can get the words on the page, the better.

That does not mean sacrificing meaning, clarity or accuracy. But I'd suggest that typing quickly means you are able to process words--therefore information--quickly. It also correlates with vocabulary. Both of these are important skills to have in many workplaces and many professions.
darkeagle
83 wpm...
Is that good?
Gieter
darkeagle wrote:
83 wpm...
Is that good?

Think so...

Quote:
An average typist reaches 50 to 70 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute
polly-gone
On an alpha numeric paragraph typing test, I can type around 102 WPM. On the little pointless random things, over 120 WPM. I am freakishly fast. I am totally serious.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
apple
47..... Rolling Eyes
secondeye
I don't know, I haven't Experienced these type Of activities.. At race my be i will stand at last Laughing
Vlien
I did the test on typingtest.com, but somehow that's not fair Smile I scored 45WPM. But English is not my mother tongue, so... I tried a different test, a Dutch one and scored 60WPM... ha!
aames_prov356
41 wpm..i stink
skygaia
hm... I just tested it..... it's too late Confused
50 wpm.. english is my second language. so I'm not good at typing in english. But I need to improve typing speed.
Thumpercats
About 4 years ago I remeber being clocked at 76 words per minute with around 95% accuracy. I think since then, my form has gotton horrible, my speed has increased, and my accuracy has decreased. I think it had taken me about 10 seconds to type this message. Smile
mesianica
I think, mmm, 500
cLean
I was in high school my junior year i was at 68 now that i was tested in a class at my community college 2 years ago i was at 84
[FuN]goku
I dont know.. last time i checked i was around 75 WPM, but that was a while ago.. plus i type alot faster now.. so probably anywhere between 75-85 WPM.. meh.
asim
hello,

my gross speed is 40 WPM and Net speed is 35 WPM...
Zombie
I'm still inexperienced at typing. I probably average 40wpm, but i have to look at the keys sometimes.
Crazy_Canuck
mesianica wrote:
I think, mmm, 500

That's very impressive.

Now, did you actually take the test? Wink

How many with fast typing speeds also play a musical instrument? I'm wondering because usually the kind of finger dexterity required is trained early in childhood, such as with piano lessons.
fpwebs
Well since the last time that I took a "real" typing test alpha-numeric typing test (which was about 3 years ago or so) I scored 81 WPM. I'm pretty sure I can type more than that now, but I haven't tried lately. I'm really going to have to attempt another typing test because I really want to see what I can score now.
Blueflame0831
My speed came out to be 68. Not extremely fast but it suits me.
[FuN]goku
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
mesianica wrote:
I think, mmm, 500

That's very impressive.

Now, did you actually take the test? Wink

How many with fast typing speeds also play a musical instrument? I'm wondering because usually the kind of finger dexterity required is trained early in childhood, such as with piano lessons.

Well, i started using computers when i was 4, and i'm 17 now, (will be 18 in november) so... yeah

I played flute for 7 years, drums for 2 or 3 years, and lately i've been doing alot of guitar. And i can play a bit of piano, but i'm not good at it, cuz i dont put any effort into it.
Masacchi
I took the typing test on facebook. =P 93.
jayrelle
Ive been practicing typing tutor software

my wpm is 55. Laughing
HIPHOP
i recently ran into a program and decided to buy it to give it a try. From the looks of it well it seems i need some practice on my typing i was typing only about 56 words per minute. Im going to keep practicing with technology having a big boost in the world well i have to try and keep up. Smile
ankitdatashn
Well I took a typing test on a couple of sites before I find myself telling the answer here. On orkut there is an application with the name typewriter or something like that, I tried on it, quite stubborn application it is but anyways, I found myself with an average Words per minute of ~36, and highest attained speed of about ~42.

But nowadays I type at around 200 Words per minute, don't be confused coz I use a software to do that for me, And so I get listed above all my friends in speed tests!!, By the way my friends barely achieve 36 WPM, 24 WPM, 20 WPM!!

Lets get speedy, type type type!!
ninjakannon
ankitdatashn wrote:
But nowadays I type at around 200 Words per minute, don't be confused coz I use a software to do that for me

How do you use software to type at 200WPM?!

Or do you just use that for the speed tests and type at normal speeds everywhere else? That's easy to do, but actually typing here, for example, at 200WPM I can't believe. How could you think of words fast enough?
lagoon
After using different tests, I have got about an average of 60 wpm. Not too shabby, but I could do better. This is without touch typing, so I have to keep on looking at the text and then at my fingers... very annoying.
nilsmo
I took the test at http://typingtest.com and got

Net Speed: 86 WPM
Accuracy: 100%
Gross Speed: 86 WPM

I decided to type a little faster, but then got my accuracy lowered:

Net Speed: 91 WPM
Accuracy: 97%
Gross Speed: 93 WPM
jsk02a
I average around 80wpm...95% accuracy, I too had to test for one of those temp agency things. Maybe I'll go find a typing test right now and retest!

There we go...went and did that one that is posted above:

Net Speed: 94 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 97 WPM
(words/minute)
Feroc1ty
80 WPM with a 100% accuracy.
zinnglanz
When i was younger and studying as an engineer, back in the 70's and early 80's, computers hadnt really come about.

I learnt to type on an evening on my sisters old typewriter. i used a learning manual to touch type and id say within 2-3 years i naturally increased my speed.

i did have a test in the late 80's at an employment agency and they had me down at approx 60 words per minute. id say im considerably faster now and have just taken a test at typingtest.com

i scored 74 words per minute with 96% accuracy. whoo hooooooooo lol
MythicalFault
I've never taken a REAL typing test, but on the ones online that have you type passages from books and such I scored on average about 110 WPM.

Edit: Average 110 WPM without mistakes, I meant.
jamesfox
I had to do one of those tests for an employer one time... years ago. I got like 60 wpm or something. I suck.
tamilparks
68 WPM i have finished both lower and higher in english typewriting
Arseniy
46 words per minute in English Sad
But I think in Russian my results are a bit higher! Smile
ccube921
LOL im pretty slow at just 38 WPM
PatTheGreat42
In typing class I got like 65 wpm. Averageish.

But eh. Typing up papers doesn't take too long. And you betcha I can type "www.kingdomofloathing.com" reeeeally fast.
Faraz
Never really calculated it, but I am sure it would be 100 something.
BugBear
Back when I was still practicing with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (or something like that) I got up to 70 WPM. Later when I stopped practicing I had 55 wpm. Now I probably can type in the low to mid 40's.
quilledbroomstick
On average I type about 65 wpm, but if I am typing something that I am writing from my own head then my typing speed is much faster. I took a typing test once where I just typed from my head and it had to be cohesive, and my speed was somewhere around 96 wpm. I did have a formal typing class in tech school.
eku53ru
When taking the typing tests over at this page, my typing speed ranges anywhere from 70-105 WPM for the words test depending on what passage I am given to type. I'm not sure if this is an accurate test for my speed, but the content of each test varies so much that my fingers are thrown into disarray, and on occasion the passages make me want to read the books from which they came. Personally, I depend on this site to gauge my speed because I haven't found something better than it.

Of course, when I take a simple test for typing common words, my typing speed is just shy of 120.

After trying the alphanumeric test, I wasn't surprised that my speed dropped to ~50; I was never very proficient with the number line.
HuMaJuMa
Well I took a few different tests and my speed seems to range from about 90 - 110 wpm. I get very noisy when I type anything over 70wpm so I usually type around 50wpm unless I'm doing something important(or a typing test xD). A while ago(about a year) I took one and got 75 wpm. So quite a bit of an improvement. I've never taken any typing classes or anything I just taught myself to type fast from designing websites.
iman
Man, i'm just 61 wpm.
I only type with one or two fingers; I never learned the proper way.
chatrack
Hi,

Here we have typewriting Lower (40 words per miniute) and Higher (60wpm)
exams. Passing any of the test is a must for clerical post in govt. dept.
I have passed lower. attended higher but could not make it.
It was long years back, and I dont know the wpm is same now too.

And Am amazed with 130wpm, love to see it
Arty
Mine hovers around 80wpm Smile
nam_siddharth
I just took an online test for my typing speed and it was 23 WPM. But I have never taken any typing course and I type mostly from only one finger.
Hogwarts
Just hit 137 on Typeracer.com (which requires errors being fixed). But, realistically, normally I don't type anywhere near that fast. Too much thinking and revision going on in what I try to say, as well the fact that under normal conditions the words generally aren't directly in front of you in such a clear and legible format.

Hell, it took me 5 minutes just to write this post.
Shadowninja7194
mine is 19238505781395970 wpm....ya, thats serious.

But actully seriousness my wpm is like 25 wpm. Never really cared how fast i typed because a person who types to fast writes errors:D
ProfessorY91
It would have been interesting to have turned this thread into a poll from the beginning. Assuming people are honest, I'd have liked to know the average WPM of frihost's forum users.

That said I can get 80 WPM with 96-100% accuracy on a good day. Increasingly higher WPM with poorer accuracy, of course.
meep
My typing speed is 110 wpm with about 98% accuracy Very Happy
Torspot
Liez meep haha. Razz

I'm not sure what my WPM is..IMO i type pretty fast with few mistakes.
socceraggie
Depends on what I'm writing. Posts to Frihost is probably closer to 60 or 70. When writing for work or something more technical I'd imagine I slow down a lot mainly because my brain can't keep up with my fingers speed. I've noticed that after writing on the computer for a while I don't even look at what I'm writing and get distracted. I look back after a minute or so and find I either wrote something wonderful or I just start over! Smile
Asap170
I am 63 Words Per Minute. I think it's pretty good.
Torspot
Ya thats good. I agree on when im writing my programming stuff i go alot slower. Mistakes in syntax are a !@#$ to fix haha.

Although, on just recreation stuff, i can watch tv and type ok at the same time.
Asap170
Torspot wrote:
Ya thats good. I agree on when im writing my programming stuff i go alot slower. Mistakes in syntax are a !@#$ to fix haha.

Although, on just recreation stuff, i can watch tv and type ok at the same time.

That's exactly me. The reason for screwing up when programming is because of < ! - / > $ the odd symbols that we must find on the keyboard lol
Bikerman
I currently type about 2/3rds of the time (I am now) and use speech recognition for the rest.
Speech recognition has finally got to the stage where it is pretty damn reliable and accurate. I type about 40 - 50 words per minute on a good day - typical old techie - use most of the fingers but in weird and wonderful ways Smile Speech recognition works pretty consistently well at double that speed.
Because the computer is in my studio there is also the bonus of being able to talk from across the room, so I can wander around whilst dictating something, changing a music track etc.....
It is still not perfect but it is getting pretty good.
meep
Torspot wrote:
Liez meep haha. Razz

I'm not sure what my WPM is..IMO i type pretty fast with few mistakes.

110 wpm is easy to reach on a colemak layout, +it was a 60 seconds test Very Happy
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
I currently type about 2/3rds of the time (I am now) and use speech recognition for the rest.
Speech recognition has finally got to the stage where it is pretty damn reliable and accurate. I type about 40 - 50 words per minute on a good day - typical old techie - use most of the fingers but in weird and wonderful ways Smile Speech recognition works pretty consistently well at double that speed.
Because the computer is in my studio there is also the bonus of being able to talk from across the room, so I can wander around whilst dictating something, changing a music track etc.....
It is still not perfect but it is getting pretty good.
The speech recognition sounds interesting. Maybe for a non-techie this is a dumb question, but does the speech recognition pick up on the background music or is it trained to only listen to your voice at a set frequency?
Bikerman
When I use it at the keybpard then I use a headset with closed cup headphones and a very directional microphone. Obviously the noisier it is the less accurate it is, but if I want music then I'm already wearing cans so that is no problem. It works fine with normal 'ambient' sounds like people coughing, moving around, cars ...etx.
deanhills
Thanks for the info. Am certainly going to try it out, perhaps after the summer. Last time I used it, which was a few years ago, it was a real pain in the butt. My ideal is a bit like science fiction. Hoping one day that I would be able to talk to my computer and it can talk back with some good comments. I would be able to give it verbal instructions to prepare a memo, give the computer some rough guidelines what it should contain. The computer should then be able to zip it up in a great lay out, and automatically have it spell proofed and ready for checking.
Utopia GFR
Well, I've just done 50 wpm Very Happy

Funny thing is that I went to a private school specialized in secretarial studies and managed to do worse at that time (about 44 wpm haha) Very Happy
Insanity
I can do over 90 WPM, but my accuracy is terrible at that speed. I get around 90% accuracy with that speed, but when I go lower, I make less mistakes and less errors.
sudipbanerjee
I didn't take any test reagrding my typing speed. So I am giving my typing speed according to my own calculation.

My speed depends on the material of the writings. In normal english writing my speed is 45-50 wpm.
TurtleShell
iman wrote:
Man, i'm just 61 wpm.
I only type with one or two fingers; I never learned the proper way.

You know, 61 wpm when you're tying with two fingers is pretty impressive! Just imagine if you learned to type the more conventional way...

My step dad, a computer programmer, types like that. He does well for himself, but once I was actually trained in typing, I always wondered why he hadn't tried to learn the other way.

Sometimes I think about typing--really think about what I'm doing--and it's just amazing. That my fingers have become an extension of my mouth--verbal, in their way--kind of floors me. And it's not like anything else. It's not a new language, it's not sign language, it's just it's own really bizarre thing. Being able to look at the computer screen but type words without even looking down. Does anyone else ponder this from time to time?
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
Sometimes I think about typing--really think about what I'm doing--and it's just amazing. That my fingers have become an extension of my mouth--verbal, in their way--kind of floors me. And it's not like anything else. It's not a new language, it's not sign language, it's just it's own really bizarre thing. Being able to look at the computer screen but type words without even looking down. Does anyone else ponder this from time to time?
I do, and it has the same touch and feeling for me too. I used to play piano at one time, and it feels almost a bit of the same. Especially when one gets to the point where you are just not aware of the typing any more. Just the thoughts and words flowing from the typing.
TurtleShell
deanhills wrote:
TurtleShell wrote:
I do, and it has the same touch and feeling for me too. I used to play piano at one time, and it feels almost a bit of the same. Especially when one gets to the point where you are just not aware of the typing any more. Just the thoughts and words flowing from the typing.

Exactly. And I think, actually, the piano comparison is probably pretty close.

Something I do from time to time, but which I know is very rude, is that I continue to type while people talk to me--and while I'm looking at their face, not at the computer screen. It's like I'm sitting here saying "I'm only half paying attention to our conversation, because I'm doing another kind of talking of my own right now". Still, I get a weird sort of pleasure from being able to divide myself up that way--hands talking about one thing, mouth and eyes talking about something else.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
Something I do from time to time, but which I know is very rude, is that I continue to type while people talk to me--and while I'm looking at their face, not at the computer screen. It's like I'm sitting here saying "I'm only half paying attention to our conversation, because I'm doing another kind of talking of my own right now". Still, I get a weird sort of pleasure from being able to divide myself up that way--hands talking about one thing, mouth and eyes talking about something else.

I've seen others doing that, but I can't. Probably because when someone enters my office, I always give them undivided attention, accept when I'm on the phone. I actually admire people that can do that however, they are probably excellent multi-taskers as well.
ninjakannon
TurtleShell wrote:

I can't do that for more than the next few words I already knew I was going to type. Even then, I may end up typing what I'm saying. Can you really continue two trains of thought simultaneously like that? Like deanhills, I've noticed others doing it, but not enduringly; the person usually ends up only saying a sentence or two or stops typing to concentrate on the conversation.
deanhills
ninjakannon wrote:
I can't do that for more than the next few words I already knew I was going to type.
OK, then we are on the same page here as well. I can look up and start talking to someone while I am finishing off what I am writing,. Usually to ask then to "hang ten" while I finish off what I am in the process of writing.
jennie
My testing speed is 50WPM..Earlier it was 65..
deanhills
I've just done the test below, my first. 76wpm and no mistakes (which was surprising, I thought I would have made some - probably a trigger feeling of focusing on not making any mistakes, which I think must have slowed me down. Usually I don't think about spelling, and type at a high speed, and let spell check pick up on the rest, so this time round it was different).

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php
JackMolen
Here is my typing result:

Net Speed: 68 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 72 WPM
(words/minute)
ankur209
Well.....I'm a typist u can say....!! Cool

Spendin' 75% of the time hitting keys of the KB....!!

Well...I wud say m havin' a speed of 125-130 WPM....!! Rolling Eyes
wombatrpgs
ankur209 wrote:
Well.....I'm a typist u can say....!! Cool

Spendin' 75% of the time hitting keys of the KB....!!

Well...I wud say m havin' a speed of 125-130 WPM....!! Rolling Eyes

This is all the more amusing because your post is almost illegible...
chartcentral
According to TypingTest.com, my adjusted typing speed is 73 words per minute. Smile
wombatrpgs
Ha, I scored the same. I guess that's a pretty good "average" for people who type fairly regularly. 36 WPM seems slow.
adri
My test on typingtest.com revealed an average 55WPM. Smile

Adri
Bikerman
Only 51 for me - which is about what I expected...
Shadowninja7194
Ha! mine was 51.2 Very Happy
dhani
I have not made the test but I had typing class at high school and I was one of the top students in my class. I am really greatfull that I took that class, now I can type really fast.
ninjakannon
Bikerman wrote:

How come you're not a little faster, Chris? You obviously spend a fair deal of time typing.
Bikerman
ninjakannon wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

How come you're not a little faster, Chris? You obviously spend a fair deal of time typing.
I learned bad habits decades ago and I've never bothered to actually rid myself of them and learn to touch type - mostly because everytime I decide to do so an urgent problem comes up and I end up fixing that and putting the typing training on hold - it's been like that for about 20 years Smile
Insanity
Accuracy for me suffers when I type too fast... so I thikn I actually need tos low down my typing. Like so.
wombatrpgs
I don't think my speed would be as good if I hadn't been obsessed with Mario Teaches Typing 2 at an early age. Anyone else remember those games?
Bikerman
Yes I remember Mario. In fact...hang on.....yes.
You can download it here - only works on 32 bit windows I think (long time since I downloaded it). It is fully cosher - no piracy, it was released some time ago for free.....
goutha
I don't know what's the speed by wpm, but I type pretty fast... meaning almost as fast as a normal speeking person.
dylansmith
Im 14 n i have had a score of 86 wpm.
HalfBloodPrince
101 with 96% accuracy. Wait a minute, I made this thread...eh it's been 2 years Razz
deanhills
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
101 with 96% accuracy. Wait a minute, I made this thread...eh it's been 2 years Razz
Wow! Fantastic. If I may ask, are you doing this with touch typing?
wombatrpgs
Bikerman wrote:
Yes I remember Mario. In fact...hang on.....yes.
You can download it here - only works on 32 bit windows I think (long time since I downloaded it). It is fully cosher - no piracy, it was released some time ago for free.....

Wow, thanks for this.

HalfBloodPrince wrote:
101 with 96% accuracy. Wait a minute, I made this thread...eh it's been 2 years

This is pretty amazing, I have to say.

Also, apparently my grandmother (she was a general's secretary during WWII) achieved a max speed of 80 WPM, and that was with a typewriter. I'm still in awe of that.
Radar
Whenever I stop and think about my typing speed, it's only to think that it's too slow.

Whenever someone else comments on my typing speed, it's to say how fast it is.

So I'm unclear. I haven't done a WPM test in a long while.
jigoku05
Only 32wpm and 100% accuracy. But that's when I'm using 1 hand and my "n", "spacebar", and "backspace" are broken.
Abhishukla
my speed is not that much good. it is around 60 wpm with 70% correct spelling.
wombatrpgs
Eh, I'd rather have high accuracy than high speed.
Navigator
Haha I remember finding an old Mavis Beacon CD which later used to learn to type, I got to 50 and that was it, boy it was tough, I've never tested my WPM in my native language though, it might be higher I guess.
bjornhoogeveen
Just did one single test:

it said:

80 words a minute

You type 527 characters per minute
You have 80 correct words and
you have 5 wrong words
wombatrpgs
Navigator wrote:
Haha I remember finding an old Mavis Beacon CD which later used to learn to type, I got to 50 and that was it, boy it was tough, I've never tested my WPM in my native language though, it might be higher I guess.

Ha, but does your native language require a different keyboard configuration?
meep
wombatrpgs wrote:
Navigator wrote:

Ha, but does your native language require a different keyboard configuration?

Big chance it does, since most languages have more letters (like norwegian), and other languages just have different layouts (like azerty). So even if his language has the standard qwerty keyboard, it will probably use dead keys for native letters making it a different experience.

About my typing speed, it dropped from 110 to really low right now since it got stuck in a drawer..
Will probably be good again tomorrow Razz
ankur209
500 Words Per minute...!!

Being so much active on frihost forums and posting articles/posts is something that should be credited for this much typing speed... Razz
timothymartin
I remember taking typing class in elementary school where in two weeks I learned how to get the apple II e computer to say that I could type 60 words a minute flawlessly. That was my first experience at hacking, it was all by 'accident'. I think I top out at 40 words a minute or so in reality.
meep
ankur209 wrote:

Being so much active on frihost forums and posting articles/posts is something that should be credited for this much typing speed... Razz

500 words or 500 characters, since the current world record is about 212/216 wpm Laughing
deanhills
meep wrote:
ankur209 wrote:

500 words or 500 characters, since the current world record is about 212/216 wpm Laughing
Wow! Even 216wpm sounds completely out of this world. Would love to see someone like that pounding at a keyboard.
meep
deanhills wrote:
Wow! Even 216wpm sounds completely out of this world. Would love to see someone like that pounding at a keyboard.

This is what 100wpm on qwerty looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_v02ZMkbg
The world record is done on dvorak which has about half the amount of finger-travel than a qwerty keyboard, there is a nice comparision (comparison?) applet here which would make it a bit easier to believe it's possible to reach 200wpm Smile
wombatrpgs
meep wrote:
This is what 100wpm on qwerty looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_v02ZMkbg
The world record is done on dvorak which has about half the amount of finger-travel than a qwerty keyboard, there is a nice comparision (comparison?) applet here which would make it a bit easier to believe it's possible to reach 200wpm Smile

100 WPM certainly looks very doable.

The thing with the comparison applet is that I know I certainly don't use the same finger even when by traditional typing it would probably be required. I have lousy habits and my hands move all over the place. Not to mention that I use the caps lock for all capital letters... I've done it ever since I started typing when my pinky was too short to reach the shift key...
deanhills
meep wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That does look doable, and it looks as though the typing is purposeful too, i.e. the person is typing with accuracy. Wonder what the accuracy rate would have been with higher than 200wpm?
watersoul
100+ wpm, 200+ wpm?!
Wow, I'd better get up to those speeds if I'm to reduce my minus points status!
I'm about 35-40 words per minute, but thats because I never got further than using the first two fingers and my thumb on each hand, lol, when I see the girls in the office tapping away like demons, I admit I get a bit envious Smile
meep
deanhills wrote:
That does look doable, and it looks as though the typing is purposeful too, i.e. the person is typing with accuracy. Wonder what the accuracy rate would have been with higher than 200wpm?

He is not typing with good accuracy, look at the amount of times he mashes the backspace, if he wouldn't make that much errors he would've gotten about 130wpm :/

combine that with the fact that dvorak and colemak both have about half the finger travel that qwerty has, makes 100+wpm easily possible for everyone if they're willing to make the switch to dvorak/colemak.
ankitdatashn
Nameless wrote:
ONce i trie dto take a typying tetst to see just what my word per minutes were but I could never magan enoghj accuracry to beother finish8ing jit.

And that's not even an exaggeration of how bad my typing gets when I try to type quickly. Laughing

Oops you are already struggling too hard, hehe, no offense meant... just kidding. Well same is the case with me and I guess its common to all also that the more you try to race the accuracy goes down like anything and end up screwing the whole flow.

I manage around 45 WPM.
meep
ankitdatashn wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Oops you are already struggling too hard, hehe, no offense meant... just kidding. Well same is the case with me and I guess its common to all also that the more you try to race the accuracy goes down like anything and end up screwing the whole flow.

I manage around 45 WPM.

Even though accuracy tends to get lower when you try to type quicker, it's not entirely the fault of just racing, the reason most people make more errors is because they never learned to type correctly.
I learned typing by having to start over every-time I made a typing mistake, so now when I'm typing at fairly high speeds (about 80-90wpm), I manage to maintain an 98-99% accuracy (most mistakes now are when i forget to press a key or accidentally edge-hit one resulting in something like ne instead of n).
But when I get on higher speeds (like my 110wpm mentioned in the previous posts), I do tend to have lower accuracy too.

So basically accuracy is just something that takes a lot longer to train than speed, but can be trained quicker using a '100%-correct-or-start-over' method.
deanhills
meep wrote:
So basically accuracy is just something that takes a lot longer to train than speed, but can be trained quicker using a '100%-correct-or-start-over' method.
Agreed. It's the way I type as well. I thought I was a reasonable fast typer at 80wpm with usually 100% accuracy, and that for someone to reach 100wpm with 100% accuracy, that someone would have to be pretty phenomenal, but 200wpm? I'm not saying it is impossible, but I would have to see that first before I can believe it.
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
meep wrote:
Agreed. It's the way I type as well. I thought I was a reasonable fast typer at 80wpm with usually 100% accuracy, and that for someone to reach 100wpm with 100% accuracy, that someone would have to be pretty phenomenal, but 200wpm? I'm not saying it is impossible, but I would have to see that first before I can believe it.

I think at 200 WPM you'd have to have 100% accuracy to get up that high. 80% accuracy at what otherwise would've been 200WPM would turn to 160WPM.

Though that's still pretty inhuman...
deanhills
wombatrpgs wrote:
deanhills wrote:
meep wrote:

I think at 200 WPM you'd have to have 100% accuracy to get up that high. 80% accuracy at what otherwise would've been 200WPM would turn to 160WPM.

Though that's still pretty inhuman...
OK, I did not understand that before. So they calculate the accuracy into one single percentage of the speed, by reducing the final speed by the typing errors that have been made?
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
OK, I did not understand that before. So they calculate the accuracy into one single percentage of the speed, by reducing the final speed by the typing errors that have been made?

It looks that way. At least on the test I used, they directly said that 1 WPM was deducted for each error, so I guess it's correct words per minute? I'm not sure if there's a standard, or if so, what it is.
mtorregiani
I did and online test a few times, and the result was between 46 and 49 words per minute. I'm not that fast, I guess...
Seiorai
Actually just around 51 WPM >.< Could've sworn I was faster xDD
Now I see I still have to practice, at least from what some people in this thread are saying o.o
c'tair
The test showed me around 71wpm with 100% accuracy.

I know I do a lot more if the text doesn't have numerals or signs such as " ' , " ; : " etc.
wombatrpgs
c'tair wrote:
The test showed me around 71wpm with 100% accuracy.

I know I do a lot more if the text doesn't have numerals or signs such as " ' , " ; : " etc.

Yeah, the high density of capital letters keeping throwing me because of my stupid caps lock habit.
trung23
47 points for typing speed and 2 words error --> 45 WMP... too bad
Greatking
i would say like 70 words per minute.
jamec9869
41 word per minute
infoxt
i can't remember where and how to know the WPM count. Can anyone help me please?
wombatrpgs
infoxt wrote:
i can't remember where and how to know the WPM count. Can anyone help me please?

Hm, I personally used this site: http://www.typingtest.com/

...though Google solves your problems.
GeorgeGarnell
My typing speed is 70 WPM
nigam
mine is 60 wpm. not bad at all.
hersandal
hmmmm I can't remember when was the last time I use typing master software but I remember the last score I got from that program, it's 88 Words Per Minute, not bad maybe it's higher now.
wombatrpgs
Depends. What exactly is typing master?
ankur2010
110 words per minute....
that had only been possible because of typing games i've been playing since my high School... Cool
mukesh
In my typing speed this time i have 70 words per sec about 2 months before 100 words per sec was.
hersandal
mukesh wrote:
In my typing speed this time i have 70 words per sec about 2 months before 100 words per sec was.

If you got that, Man! that's crazy. I don't believe that Amen!
Cheeldash
32 WPM, 162 characters, accuracy 100%
wombatrpgs
Well, at least the accuracy is there. But it can really slow you down. I'm really speeding up this November as it's National Novel Writing Month... can't stop typing.
Blaster
I got 47 WPM though I feel like I could still do better than that... I was trying to read and type what I was reading which isn't always the easiest...

http://www.typingtest.com/testdone.asp?acc=90&nwpm=47&gwpm=52&ncpm=239&gcpm=264&dur=60&time=60&chksum=21523&unit=wpm&kh=53&td=&err=5&hits=264
luivitonvon3
can anyone share me a technique to master touch typing?

even though i can type fast without it(87-95wpm on) but still i wan't to use all of my fingers with typing.
Sheep
I scored 72 wpm! But I think my speed has decreased over time (provided I took that test eons ago)
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I got 47 WPM though I feel like I could still do better than that... I was trying to read and type what I was reading which isn't always the easiest...

http://www.typingtest.com/testdone.asp?acc=90&nwpm=47&gwpm=52&ncpm=239&gcpm=264&dur=60&time=60&chksum=21523&unit=wpm&kh=53&td=&err=5&hits=264

Try and see how you do with this one. Quite a brilliant test for the reason that the words are random:
http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/

This was my score:

Looks impressive but really isn't as the top scores are around 157 wpm. Very Happy
foumy6
last time that I took a test was 3 years ago and I was at 35 wpm, but by now I am pretty sure that it has increased to no more than 60-70 I would say because I have been taking many more computer classes so I have been typing much more, so naturally the more you type that faster you get.
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Try and see how you do with this one. Quite a brilliant test for the reason that the words are random:
http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/

This was my score:

Looks impressive but really isn't as the top scores are around 157 wpm. Very Happy

Mine measures 94 using this test, but I don't think it's as accurate because there are less capitalized words and punctuation marks. I learned to type very young when my pinky couldn't reach the shift key, so I always use caps lock for capitalization, so now caps words slow me down significantly.
deanhills
wombatrpgs wrote:
Mine measures 94 using this test, but I don't think it's as accurate because there are less capitalized words and punctuation marks. I learned to type very young when my pinky couldn't reach the shift key, so I always use caps lock for capitalization, so now caps words slow me down significantly.
Good for you but I agree. This is a different kind of typing speed test.
FastDebrid
According to the typing master drill I did months ago, I had a recorded 35-45 words per second typing speed.
luivitonvon3
http://www.typingtest.com/testdone.jsp?acc=90&nwpm=90&gwpm=100&ncpm=453&gcpm=503&dur=60&time=60&chksum=40783&unit=wpm&kh=41&td=&err=10&hits=503
Hexes
I tried on: http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/

Words per minute (WPM) 67
Keystrokes 343
Correct words 62
Wrong words 1

Maybe I am not typing master but this result seems ok to me Smile Gonna practice some and then redo the test.
davidv

Visit the Typing Test and try!

I wasn't wearing glasses for this one. I had to squint a few times to see some of the words but not too bad, 94 WPM.
luivitonvon3

This test includes known words. Only words
luivitonvon3

Still. A typing progress
luivitonvon3
The attempt before my last attempt for this day.

Rolling Eyes
davidv
luivitonvon3 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Yes, I think your time is best spent on other activities Laughing. That said, 110 WPM is quite impressive Wink
speeDemon
I tried on that "Typing test- KeyHero" thing from the chrome web store(free of course)...
It's got punctuation and all... my highscore is around 52 WPM... sometimes it goes down to 45-48 though...
Hexes
speeDemon wrote:
I tried on that "Typing test- KeyHero" thing from the chrome web store(free of course)... It's got punctuation and all... my highscore is around 52 WPM... sometimes it goes down to 45-48 though...

I think tests with punctuation and capital letters are much more accurate. There is a site called Typer Racer http://play.typeracer.com/ where you could race with others Smile Maybe we could make a frihost typing competition?
luivitonvon3
davidv wrote:
luivitonvon3 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Yes, I think your time is best spent on other activities Laughing. That said, 110 WPM is quite impressive Wink

Thanks. I practice typing for at least an hour a day.

Chat a lot and play a music-oriented game which fast fingers is needed Smile
luivitonvon3
Hexes wrote:
speeDemon wrote:
I tried on that "Typing test- KeyHero" thing from the chrome web store(free of course)... It's got punctuation and all... my highscore is around 52 WPM... sometimes it goes down to 45-48 though...

I think tests with punctuation and capital letters are much more accurate. There is a site called Typer Racer http://play.typeracer.com/ where you could race with others Smile Maybe we could make a frihost typing competition?

Yeah Smile
GuidanceReader
I did 71.54 WPM with a 99.48% accuracy (1 mistake in the test) at http://www.keyhero.com/typing-tests-wpm/

This is after midnight (when I usually go to bed about 10pm), so I am pretty tired. And the test is in American English, whereas I live in Australia, so sometimes the spelling can get me and I put in an extra letter that counts towards my accuracy. So not too bad. I've gotten up to around the 80 mark as a consistent number with 98-100% accuracy. I got up to 120 in a test once, but the accuracy wasn't anywhere near as good.
mukesh
lol my only 25 wpm its very bad
wombatrpgs
mukesh wrote:
lol my only 25 wpm its very bad

As long as your technique is fine, all you need is a little more practice.
ankitdatashn
Net Speed: 34 WPM
(words/minute)
Gross Speed: 36 WPM
(words/minute)

And I was typing in a lazy mood, I type by pecking on the keys instead of using all the fingers to type, so yeah I type slow I guess, i know that i am a very slow typist!
pauline5765
I took one when I was in highschool and it was like 60wpm... I just took one now from typingtest.com and its 75wpm.xD
magnustoday
there's this typing program called "Typing Tutor" before and I think my typing speed, if my memory serves me right, is 60 words per minute.

I'm not sure if it's the same now coz I've lost that program.
Insanity
I can type pretty fast, like up to 80-90 WPM, but then my accuracy greatly decreases as I go up that high. Standard for me would be around 70, where I can almost always get 100% accuracy on those online typing tests. I think it's years of playing games and chatting online that gave me that sort of accuracy.
wombatrpgs
Hey, to the fast typers on here, do you use QWERTY or some other layout? Anyone use DVORAK at all? And how long does it take to switch?
Hexes
wombatrpgs wrote:
Hey, to the fast typers on here, do you use QWERTY or some other layout? Anyone use DVORAK at all? And how long does it take to switch?

I use QWERTY since it is the most popular layout. My favorite keyboard is Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (really long name). I have only one word to describe it: AWESOME! Maybe DVORAK is better but there are very few companies that support that standard and probably situation will remain the same in the following few years. After that we won't use keyboard anymore Razz
LegendVPN
Uhm...Idk. I haven't checked it. How do I do that exactly? Are there softwares or games???
deanhills
LegendVPN wrote:
Uhm...Idk. I haven't checked it. How do I do that exactly? Are there softwares or games???
There are quite a few available if you check through this thread. This is one of them:
http://www.typingtest.com/
luivitonvon3
My typing's ever improving progress

Visit the Typing Test and try! Very Happy
wombatrpgs
Hexes wrote:
After that we won't use keyboard anymore Razz

Ahah, I'd like to see that...
LegendVPN
deanhills wrote:
LegendVPN wrote:
There are quite a few available if you check through this thread. This is one of them:
http://www.typingtest.com/

Thanks! Smile Will try it later when I have time. Wink Have a good day! Smile
wombatrpgs
Ahh, I tried again on a new keyboard and I'm down to 85. It should be going back up as I get used to everything.
luivitonvon3

axel12p
Only 31 wpm Sad I need more practice
binboy786
My typing is only 10 wpm Shocked
Vanilla

Can I say that I suck? I could blame my typing skills on the idiom (since english is not my first language). But yeah, I'm pretty slow even in portuguese. Razz
wombatrpgs
binboy786 wrote:
My typing is only 10 wpm Shocked

Are you using hunt and peck or something? Some simple learning will help you out a lot. Look for home row method.
coolclay
Just tried Typingtest.com and I am much worse than I thought I would be. I think it is because it takes more time to read something process it, and then rewrite it. Because when I am writing something from my brain I can type much much faster. I also had to back up many times to change errors which wasted lots of time. Either way I scored 31 WPM.
luivitonvon3
As long as you guys learn the touch type and has a proper technique, you will type fast and of course you need a lot of practice.

Very Happy
AlexJ
my typing speed is 71 WPM right now...
wombatrpgs
Well, I'm back up to 93 on the new keyboard. That's probably where I'll be for a while, haha.
tpolis
Well I can type without watching the keyboard with almost no mistakes. My typing speed is 80/90 wpm depending on the text and the length of the words.
tpolis
Well i took a typing test and saw i have become more lazy now. So the results are 48 wpm. Very Happy
Insanity
I don't think typing speed is really all that important after the speed at which it qualifies as touch typing. You don't really save that much time, and it'll probably be more accurate if you slow down a little. For example, I type pretty fast, but when I go max speed my accuracy drops a lot. So now I try to type at a decent speed but try to not make mistakes -- mistakes can be more costly than a slow typing speed.
luivitonvon3
Insanity wrote:
I don't think typing speed is really all that important after the speed at which it qualifies as touch typing. You don't really save that much time, and it'll probably be more accurate if you slow down a little. For example, I type pretty fast, but when I go max speed my accuracy drops a lot. So now I try to type at a decent speed but try to not make mistakes -- mistakes can be more costly than a slow typing speed.

I agree with you Very Happy
xiaotuanzi
I bet I can get a lot higher now that I have voice dictation though
tpolis
luivitonvon3 wrote:
Insanity wrote:

I agree with you Very Happy

Me too.
BrandonDoss
I'm in advance catagory. I have 60+ words per minutes speed.
wombatrpgs
Insanity wrote:

WPM factors errors into account. As long as you're looking at the screen and correcting your errors, you'll still be working faster. In your case, it just sounds like your max WPM is at a slightly less keys per second rate than usual.

...not that anything past touch-typing matters too much.
Chellesei
I've got 50 WPM but only 94% accuracy. So my adjusted speed is 48 WPM (deducted 3 errors), according to Typing Test.
ujjwalshrestha
All you need is 40wpm to attain a reasonable speed. In my opinion, your speed depends on what you are typing. If you are typing informal email, your speed will be faster than when you typing an admission letter to your university. Similarly, your typing will be faster if you are typing from children book than typing from a scientific journal.
luivitonvon3

Still improving.
Vanilla
Vanilla wrote:

Can I say that I suck? I could blame my typing skills on the idiom (since english is not my first language). But yeah, I'm pretty slow even in portuguese. Razz

Okay, I tried again and my new result is:

Not that different. I also got 2 words wrong which is something important to note. Even when I was typing I went back and corrected the mistake before continuing.

EDIT: I just saw that I can change test's language. Here is my Portuguese typing test result:

Yay me! /o/
kmr_mukund
my speed is 100 wpm.this speed is not so good but also not bad.accuracy is 95%.that typing mistake is 5%.
darthrevan
I am sure I am slower than some, but also on the plus side, faster than some. I average around 40-60 WPM, at least according to the last test I took some time ago.
wombatrpgs
kmr_mukund wrote:
my speed is 100 wpm.this speed is not so good but also not bad.accuracy is 95%.that typing mistake is 5%.

Well, don't most tests factor your mistakes into the WPM?
william
Hmm, I thought I tried 10FastFingers before, but it looks different from the last typing test I took (which had actual sentences and paragraphs as opposed to a bunch of words). I'm not in a good posture now and my hands are angled so my result is a bit low. Though I do find it interesting that I am able to get much faster speeds if I'm typing sentences. That other typing test I took was about 120ish wpm, also with poor posture. I'm actually typing faster right now than I was during the test.

Oh, and it seems I made a post on this thread over 4 years ago...glad to see I've improved. Very Happy
linux1993
Actually I want to tell you that my typing speed is a little slow. And I am always trying to improve the bad situation. But result is not very nice.
deanhills
I did a test yesterday and mine was 71 wpm with zero errors, let me check if I can find the results in my Imgur! Probably not the greatest, but at least above average.

Peterssidan
50 WPM was the highest I was able to get. Not very fast, I know.
wombatrpgs
Peterssidan wrote:
50 WPM was the highest I was able to get. Not very fast, I know.

Honestly, it seems typing speed doesn't matter that much as long as you're above 30WPM or so.
mshafiq
Although i am not typing master but still my speed is very good
playfungames
I must have typed so many words till now that I am quite fast in typing. I took the typing test that everyone here was taking and I found out the following results:

I thought I was around 60 to 70 wpm but that typing test shows something different. I am happy about it.

Also, I get really excited during these typing tests and sometimes I pause while typing in such typing tests. The same happened when I took the test. Did not have the patience to take another test. But may be I could do better if I did not pause of excitement.
ratanegra
I just took one in English and got 81 WPM. In the Spanish one, I got 82 WPM. I'm not amazingly fast, but I think I am fast (especially since I only use around 7 fingers).

edit: I just took it again... 92 in Spanish.
Nick2008
Got 106 WPM. Apparently that's better than 97.21% of all users, so I guess that's pretty good.

capricornis
Hmmm, seems like most guys here either had some pretty wicked secretary training or are just supernaturally nimble (and accurate) with their digits Smile

according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute 33WPM is the average for transcription and 19WPM is the average for composition.

I guess it depends a lot on what kind of software you use to test yourself. Most of the online stuff is garbage, but I seem to remember when I trained first there was this 'industry standard' software that everyone was supposed to be using, let me see, what was the name, ah, yes MAVIS BEACON teaches typing, or smth like that. Now that software was really comprehensive and you couldn't fool it easily, it would put you through real training, pushing on the spots where you are weakest (and frustrate the hell out of you in the process).
capricornis
So, to check on Mavis, I did the test that people have in their signatures above (http://10fastfingers.com) and it came to 94WPM, which is ludicrous. I know I can't type that fast. I mean proper text, that somebody will see and read, not the garbage they have on http://10fastfingers.com ..

Mavis says (aggregate score) that I type at 46WPM, which is much more realistic. Thus, you need to at least divide the 10fastfingers.com score by half to get a more realistic typing speed for yourself.
ratanegra
capricornis wrote:
So, to check on Mavis, I did the test that people have in their signatures above (http://10fastfingers.com) and it came to 94WPM, which is ludicrous. I know I can't type that fast. I mean proper text, that somebody will see and read, not the garbage they have on http://10fastfingers.com ..

Mavis says (aggregate score) that I type at 46WPM, which is much more realistic. Thus, you need to at least divide the 10fastfingers.com score by half to get a more realistic typing speed for yourself.

I think that the idea would be for us all to take the same test and so have comparable results.
firstroad
scotty wrote:
(words/minute)
(words/minute)

typingtest.com

i kust took two tests in this specific website and the results were 31 WPM but 16 were wrong so 15 WPM (some words were like "word" and i was typing word)
the second one had no words like this and i i wrote 45 words with on;y a mistake so it's 44 WPM

it is true that difficult words take more time to think and also signs and symbols take much more time
mathiaus
I'm very slow considering how much time I spend every day typing on a computer! Maybe one resolution for 2013 is learning to touch type Razz

deanhills

Looks good until I checked out all the other scores around here. Wow, the guys at Frihost can really type fast.