FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD new chipset

dm0ney
What do you say about AMD's new 780G\V chipset? Does it worth trying?

(http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15532_15533,00.html)
ForceRun
Check out the new Tomshardware.com review. I haven't really looked it up yet due to the Fact AMD yet has a CPU that will beat the Intel Conroes.
Craeft
I haven't reviewed that one yet. But I must say I find it interesting that someone says they haven't looked it up yet because AMD has yet to beat the Conroes. Seems kind of paradoxical. "I haven't looked it up yet." ... "haven't beaten the Conroes." Well, how do you know, if you haven't looked it up yet?

Personally, I am an AMD fan. I think Intels are pretty much a joke for gaming and high-end rendering power. Though, I must admit that when I was building this new system, I was reconsidering and doing some comparison shopping, so to speak. Still ended up going with the AMD AM2 6400.
ForceRun
It is silly, but think about it, why look up the specs of a mobo for a CPU that can't match the preformance of the older generation of Intel procressors, now with the Wolfendale 45 nm processor out for $200, there is a good one to get. But like I said if you are in the AMD camp then read the tomshardware.com review. They are AMD/ATi fans, even though they recongize that the Intel/Nvidia has the better product at the time. I use to have a AMD but times have change so I do know what I'm talking about...
Donutey
AMD has for a long time had a better "whole package" than intel, mostly because of the inclusion of the memory controller in the CPU and generally better IGP solutions (especially for the notebook). In this way, even though their CPUs are not up to par with Intel's, AMD is still a legitimate choice.

Looking at the Tomshardware review, the 7 series chipset is pretty awesome, especially since its cheap, powerful, and the GPU can be overclocked by almost 50%, giving a 25% performance gain with very little effort.
ForceRun
The 780i board is the same thing for Intels side, and the 790i board are on the way out. I went to a Lan Party in Washinton and they had a new x48 (Intel Chipset) that OC like crazy, with all the problems that Nvidia boards have I'm starting to think about a Intel chipset for my next board. The main thing I lose is SLi which I'm never going to get anyways...
Craeft
ForceRun wrote:
The 780i board is the same thing for Intels side, and the 790i board are on the way out. I went to a Lan Party in Washinton and they had a new x48 (Intel Chipset) that OC like crazy, with all the problems that Nvidia boards have I'm starting to think about a Intel chipset for my next board. The main thing I lose is SLi which I'm never going to get anyways...

Nvidia boards have problems? When did this happen? I've never had a problem. Nor any of my gamer geek friends who use nvidia.
william
Craeft wrote:
ForceRun wrote:

Nvidia boards have problems? When did this happen? I've never had a problem. Nor any of my gamer geek friends who use nvidia.

Well the only reason it's worth it to get an nVidia board is if you want SLI. Some of them aren't too bad, like the eVGA 780i board. However, many are problematic. They're also not so great for overclocking. It's better to get an Intel board, like the X38. The overclocking potential is amazing. I've been around the web, and those who switched from an nVidia board to an Intel board have seen a huge improvement in overclocking abilities. An overclock to 3.2 GHz on the nVidia board came close to 4 GHz on the Intel board. Stability is also better on the Intel boards.

You get more graphics horsepower from nVidia boards (with SLI), however you can always go Crossfire on the Intel boards. The ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 is a very formidable card...and two of them would provide some excellent graphics performance.
ForceRun
One of the top features of my 680i board was it dual NIC setup, if you install the drivers and try to use it everyone gets BSOD within a week. My nvidia board overclocks fine, it just doesn't seem to be very stable, and has big problems if you try to use any of the software from Nvidia. i think you get on the graphic side a better OC with a Nvidia board. But the new Intels are starting to catch up with them.