FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Plastic Bags (Sobey's, Wal-Mart etc)

misterXY
Lately over the years I have notice that grocery plastic bags suck now. Yes alot DO offer the "greener" bags at low prices, but for someone who rarely shops more then two litres of pop, it seems a waste and i can't carry a bag with me at all times for some grocery store.

I was walking about 5minutes holding two bags of two 2L of pop.
The bags already nearly ripped...
This is just one of the MANY occasions holding bags now... They used to be alot sturdier, now I'm wondering if anyone else has the same instances with these damn bags.
Afaceinthematrix
Easy solution: get rid of plastic bags all together. They're horrible for the environment. You can get your own non-plastic bags for fairly cheaply and use them over and over forever.
Bluedoll
Just buy a big purse. Laughing Ok, I see what your saying after all its about what the main stream population does 5000000000 plastic's = a lot or whatever, not about your one or two bags when you really need them. But what about all those plastic models walking around? Are they not transporting dangerous goods? Confused Ok, the problem is if the store gave you what you wanted Evil or Very Mad then everyone would be doing the same thing again, which is adding plastic to our waste dumps, which by the way will degrade into nothingness eventually. The problem is it takes so very long to do so! Wonder if the problem isn't about better waste management? Sorry about this long response. Embarassed I think the only thing you can do is stuff a plastic into your wallet or something, if you really want plastic or if you want - walk around with a napsak pretending you are in the army or prepairing to journey to the moon or a space walk or something. Wink Please don't get mad at me for this terribly, horrible response to your question! Sad

I just ponder too much over these things that actually make us think. Maybe, I will forget all about everything and run over to the quicky and buy something! Smile Really, friend, I am a nice person just have to laugh sometimes Arrow at all the stuff going on that upsets our little world. Your not mad at me for using to many emoticons, I hope? What do you do if you go to the store and buy pop and have a difficult time transporting it? Oh, really have to think about that one! Think, I would stop someone on the street and say help me carry this will you, like the boys did for me in high school. Ok, enough! I am after all for anything that makes the world a better place and any state of mind that makes us like it once more! Idea
misterXY
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Easy solution: get rid of plastic bags all together. They're horrible for the environment. You can get your own non-plastic bags for fairly cheaply and use them over and over forever.

How about moving to brown bags? they seem to work for my liquor so why not my food?
Afaceinthematrix
misterXY wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

How about moving to brown bags? they seem to work for my liquor so why not my food?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Both create a lot of waste. I'm all for everyone just getting a few cloth bags, sports bags, or whatever that you can use forever.
driftingfe3s
Just keep a couple of some thick and tough canvas bags in your car so that you can reuse them. Some places are acutally charging a nickel or so for plastic bags to encourage people brining in thier own bags.
misterXY
I don't drive nor do i carry a bag around me at all times.... Shocked
CaffeinatedCandy
I'd say get rid of plastic, and go with paper.

Paper may create just as much waste, but you can recycle it at least, and it's a lot more biodegradable. Depending on what you carry home, it could even be reused a lot of the time.
SpellcasterDX
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Isn't that what he addressed in his initial post?

He stated he can't be carrying around a bag all day, plus he doesn't have that much to carry, so plastic bags are convenient, when they're sturdy that is.

As for my own opinion, I think they should make some sort of sturdy bag that you can re-use and fold up and keep in your purse/wallet/pocket/car/whatever. lol. What they would make it out of, I have no clue. But I hope they can make a bag like that soon. Laughing
Stevezorr
If you don't want to use the environmentally-friendly bags, I would suggest just double-bagging with plastic bags. If you feel guilty about the environment thing, re-use plastic bags and double bag them if they have not worn out already.
HamsterMan
I always re-use all my plastic bags, as garbage bags. Buying those seperately would definitely be a waste.
HDirtwater
The plastic bags can be used for many other things, like garbage, cat litter (very handy for scooping), and taking food to parties or work, etc.

Many of the better grocery stores will sell you a big canvas bag for $.99 or sometimes less, that you can re-use over and over. This is a great idea, because the canvas bag won't rip or break, and most have straps so you can carry it over your shoulder.
misterXY
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Isn't that what he addressed in his initial post?

He stated he can't be carrying around a bag all day, plus he doesn't have that much to carry, so plastic bags are convenient, when they're sturdy that is.

As for my own opinion, I think they should make some sort of sturdy bag that you can re-use and fold up and keep in your purse/wallet/pocket/car/whatever. lol. What they would make it out of, I have no clue. But I hope they can make a bag like that soon. Laughing

Finally thank you! Someone is actually reading a post and putting themselves in my shoes!
I DON'T carry around a bag all the time
it's the convince!
Plus hell yeah they should make those.
PS: Yes he did repeat himself
j_f_k
I always use the shopping bags for garbage bin liners there's a bit small but it does save the plastic.

Around our way sainsbury's did an experiment where they gave away nicer plastic bags - very surprised to see them - certainly more sturdier than the original ones - and I think the idea was that people would use them regularly (ie re-use them) to save on plastic bags. However it never worked as no one remembers to take their suply of bags with them the next week to the shop and no one in the shop (ie checkout counters) said anything about it - so poorly run idea.

Its inevitable that stores will start charging for plastic bags no one wants to be the first to start but its gotta happen eventually
Dean_The_Great
I don't know where you're from, but here in Canada we have a store called "No Frills", and they charge for plastic bags. They're 5cents each, but they are much more sturdy than regular bags, so you don't need to double bag for a 2L bottle of pop. If it isn't a No Frills that's by you, find one, get a couple bags, and put them in a pocket. They're still plastic, so they're very portable, and they're much more sturdy.
misterXY
Dean_The_Great wrote:
I don't know where you're from, but here in Canada we have a store called "No Frills", and they charge for plastic bags. They're 5cents each, but they are much more sturdy than regular bags, so you don't need to double bag for a 2L bottle of pop. If it isn't a No Frills that's by you, find one, get a couple bags, and put them in a pocket. They're still plastic, so they're very portable, and they're much more sturdy.

they do not have no frills in New Brunswick, but we do have the sister stores and stuff
here's what i have around me:
Atlantic Canadian superstore
Sobey's
Needs/gas station
Giant Tiger
Shoppers
etc..
it's the sobey's that i have bad bags from. Typical irving
rufa
Here in Sweden we always pay for our plastic and and paper bags -.-. Bout 1-2 swedish crowns each.

And yeah, the paper ones might seem better for the enviroment, but I suppose they take up alot more space while being transported than plastic ones, thus producing more pollution from the transports. Well well, I guess reusable cotton bags are the best Wink.
eday2010
CaffeinatedCandy wrote:

Paper may create just as much waste, but you can recycle it at least, and it's a lot more biodegradable. Depending on what you carry home, it could even be reused a lot of the time.

You ca nrecycle plastic shopping bags. The grocery store near my place has a bin where you can drop off your extra bags for recycling.

And anytime you take a plastic shopping bag and use it as a garbage bagor whatnot, you are recycling. Recycling doesn't just mean taking something and turning it into another of the same thing.

Plastic bags are easier to carry than paper ones if you have more than two bags. Both kinds are biodegradable and non-toxic. The plastic ones don't need to be made from harvested and farmed trees.
Nameless
Plastic bags suck. I've never had any just rip open, but put anything heavy in them and they dig into your hands, and the handles have been known to break. Paper bags are mildly better. My family have a dozen or so green cloth bags for shopping, and never have a problem with them. It's not exactly hard to take one or two when you're going to the shops, and if you're frequently stopping at the shops without planning to, you may have other problems.

But really, why do you need bags for a couple of bottles? You have two hands. Carry them. (It could be worse, though. I get annoyed whenever I'm offered a bag - or just GIVEN a bag - for a single item as small as a chocolate bar. Really.)
Insanity
eday2010 wrote:
CaffeinatedCandy wrote:

You ca nrecycle plastic shopping bags. The grocery store near my place has a bin where you can drop off your extra bags for recycling.

And anytime you take a plastic shopping bag and use it as a garbage bagor whatnot, you are recycling. Recycling doesn't just mean taking something and turning it into another of the same thing.

Plastic bags are easier to carry than paper ones if you have more than two bags. Both kinds are biodegradable and non-toxic. The plastic ones don't need to be made from harvested and farmed trees.

Sorry to nitpick, but that would be reusing, not recycling. There's a difference; reusing closes the waste loop while recycling doesn't.
misterXY
Nameless wrote:
Plastic bags suck. I've never had any just rip open, but put anything heavy in them and they dig into your hands, and the handles have been known to break. Paper bags are mildly better. My family have a dozen or so green cloth bags for shopping, and never have a problem with them. It's not exactly hard to take one or two when you're going to the shops, and if you're frequently stopping at the shops without planning to, you may have other problems.

But really, why do you need bags for a couple of bottles? You have two hands. Carry them. (It could be worse, though. I get annoyed whenever I'm offered a bag - or just GIVEN a bag - for a single item as small as a chocolate bar. Really.)

4 2L bottles?
Also I was taking bus transit.
So theres my two cents back into the environment since i hardly use a car, always walk or bus Shocked
lastelement0
driftingfe3s wrote:
Just keep a couple of some thick and tough canvas bags in your car so that you can reuse them. Some places are acutally charging a nickel or so for plastic bags to encourage people brining in thier own bags.

ive actually heard the opposite, and experienced it. i used to work at a grocery store and we give "bag credit" to those that bring their own bags, 5 cents a bag.
misterXY
lastelement0 wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

ive actually heard the opposite, and experienced it. i used to work at a grocery store and we give "bag credit" to those that bring their own bags, 5 cents a bag.

that doesn't seem like a bad idea, but only 5 cents? maybe some more incentive Shocked
meet in rio
Tesco are supposed to give you 'green' clubcard points when you bring your own bag (which amounts to about a penny a bag - whoop-de-doo), but they always bloody forget mine. I can't even remember the last time I used a plastic bag (I go to the supermarket pretty much every day) and yet I only have about 20p worth of 'green' points on the card. To be fair, though, it;s pretty easy for me to carry a shopping bag with me: I'm a student so I've usually got books and stuff to carry anyway, and I'm a girl so I usually have some sort of shoulder-bag anyway (perpetuating female clich้, there).

You can buy cotton string bags (they look like small fishing nets) which fold up very small indeed. You could probably fit one in your pocket.
Zombie
I know, those things are thinner than thin. Anyway I remember when safeway used to give away cloth bags for free... those were the days
jsymac
It looks like all UK stores will be charging for plastic bags.

My wife always carries the reusable bags in the car, but there not practical if you just pop into a shop when your out
uuuuuu
Plastic bags are only symptoms of much larger problems - the absolute lack of personal and corporate accountability, and humanity's utter failure as stewards of our environment.

Plastic bags are the least expensive solution to the problem of transporting handheld goods and groceries on the short term, compared with paper or canvas bags. But consider the long term, and extrinsic costs, including costs realized by the environment, and costs of disposal.

First, the environmental cost. All resources, on a short enough timescale are non-renewable. At a longer timescale all resources are renewable, and at the longest comprehensible timescale they are once again nonrenewable, and at possibly longer timescales they may be renewable again.

Let me explain. Any asset has to be purposed to a task. Once the task is completed, the utility of the asset is depleted. It's gone. It must then be disposed of. At best case it's stored for later use, and at worst case its disposal destroys the asset and damages the environment. Let's call this the reuse timescale.

At the next timescale, all assets are renewable resources. Any decommissioned asset can be recovered, refurbished, and repurposed. Market forces dictate whether an asset is recycled or not, it's simply a matter of economics, but a plastic bag, paper bag, canvas bag, leather bag, any bag can be harvested and recycled. Call this the recycling timescale.

At a longer timescale, after a finite number of recyclings, the utility of the asset diminishes to a limit of zero. There seems to be only so much energy embodied in the organization of matter. This limit is dictated by the laws of thermodynamics, and the timescale is on the order of the lifetime of our Sun, and of little practical concern.

This accounts for as far as we can see into the future, though there may be an asset available to us that's more sustainable than our Sun.

The point that I eventually wanted to get to was that he who extracts an asset from the environment and commissions it ought to hold himself accountable for the asset's eventual disposal, rather than passing the buck. In this ideal world, the plastic bag may not be the least expensive solution. Thank you.

Love,

Uwe
KronikSindrome
back pack.

I'm a walker/buser myself and my most
frequent purchases are 12 cases of beer......so personaly
I think any/all store brand bags are for poozies.

Get yourself a cool lookin' back pack...
it's stylish and useful....

not too mention it's on your BACK - how incoveniant is that?
you don't see it and barely feel it.
uuuuuu
Something interesting happened while I was at the Red Cross donating blood on Tuesday.
It used to be that after you gave them your red juicy stuff, they would sit you down and feed you Oreo cookies and Fig Newtons, and give you a bottle of water to rehydrate.

Well where I was, they don't give you a water bottle to drink out of anymore, because it's no longer COOL! They just point you to the faucet and tell you to put your head under it and drink like a dog...

San Fransico, Seattle, Chicago, and a bunch of other places don't think the huge waste of plastic is cool anymore either:

"The city of Seattle is taking action against bottled water; last week, Mayor Greg Nickels signed an executive order to stop the city from buying bottled water. That means no more bottled water at city facilities and events, which may sound like a small step, but it'll make a big difference; last year, the city spent $58,000 on the stuff (and that's not including the true cost and carbon footprint of bottled water)."

-huffingtonpost.com

So, there are people out there that are changing the way people think. We're starting collectively to become more conscious of our duty to our world. Uwe loves it!

Love to all,

Uwe.
misterXY
even just struddy plastic bags can be used more then once..
zjosie729
Just use several plastic bags stacked together. I personally love plastic bags better than paper bags.
Futile
The last apartment complex that I lived in before this one. I was on the third floor. There is nothign worse then plastic bags ripping on you while you are going up the stairs. I always use to triple bag anything heavy myself and tell the bagger to double bag all heavy items because i had to climb stairs. Just double and triple bag them. Now if they are charging for the bags i just ask myself is it worth another 10 cents to keep my stuff from falling out and breaking or the inconveince of trying to carry and pick it up after the bag has ripped? Plus as someone else also said they make for handy trash bags.
Seiji
They usually double bag the items that are most likely going to cause the bag to rip. I don't pay extra for them and I prefer plastic bags when I'm buying a small amount of stuff. If I buy a lot of stuff, I just ask for paper and it is usually always sturdy except that its much easier to carry a plastic bag than a paper bag.
Donutey
I generally go through the self checkout lines so that I'm able to put more stuff in each bag, thus enabling me to make fewer trips form the parking lot to the apartment.

I had been reusing them as trash bags for small trash cans, but I've reverted to just recycling them. I have noticed slight structural deficiencies in the bags, but they're not exactly designed for carrying that much weight.
DEVLiN
Plactic bags are bad for our environment, thats a fact so far. Everybody could manage to get grocieries home in a stable "private" bag, just need to rmember to take the bag along for shopping Smile
misterXY
Paper bags hold liquor, how can it not be safe to use!?
Zombie
Yea i work at a store with those cheap bags, I usually end up double bagging them anyhow. The sharp edges of most items can easily pop through the thin plastic layer, and well you know what happens next
cloudship
I wonder, why plastic bags are so popular in the world? THere are so many intelligent scientists and engineers in the world and cannot even find a solution to invent a new material which is elastic enough to hold as many stuffs as possbile in it, and mean while is cheap enough to produce in mass production. Is it so hard problem that we have to use plastic bags everywhere?

Paper bags may be alternatives, but either too thin or too expensive is a problem. If only we can had new types of paper to end everything.
carlospro7
my dad works in construction/home remodeling, and when he doesn't have proper bags when he needs them, he uses plastic bags from Home depot to carry stones from a work site to his truck. Those bags, with the stones, must weight at least 40lbs, and they look like ordinary grocery bags. I always thought they were.
standready
SpellcasterDX wrote:

I will work on that!!!!
As for existing plastic store bags, they have reduced the thickness of the bags to cut cost & many are re-made from recycled plastic store bags. I take paper bags with me to the store but then I am usually not walking either. Many stores in my area give you 5 cents per bag for each bring in and reuse.
friuser
I do not know who's bright idea was to get rid of grocery bags. My family has been using them as garbage bags ever since we are born. All this does is cause people to buy more garbage bags which is not free and not cheap.

The brighter idea is to encourage the use of smaller garbage cans that fit the grocery bags. What happens when you have a smaller garbage bag is that you don't consume as much or throw away as much stuff. It's much more sanitary since good chance you throw away your garbage grocery bag as it's filled.

Everytime I hear about the stupid grocery bag plan and to get rid of them I just want to stick a needle in the person who said it. Just cause you are incompetent enough to not use the bags does not mean we have to feel bad about using it! I'm all for throwing away the smaller plastic bags. Why my drugstore uses it is beyond me.
misterXY
They do have Bio-Degradable garbage bags that work awesome, why not for strong plastic bags? Shocked
Thumpercats
You can get cheap bags that you can resuse. I suggest doing it. It will help with the enviorment.
misterXY
I think totebags are becoming popular, but only if u PLAN on shopping, just those well im going for a walk, well i have money im going to the mall, come back with ripped bags, the companies are just becoming cheap now... the stronger the plastic bag, more use for it. But for some more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l4GoBsfwTM
Crazy_Canuck
This plastic bag thingy is really a problem.

Loblaw's (Canada) is another store that has recently changed to much cheaper and more flimsy plastic bags. A couple of months ago, I had one of these break on me as I was unloading my shopping buggy, and I smashed a big jar of soup on the ceramic floor in my hallway. My dog immediate ran up and started lapping up the vegetable soup that was all over the floor, walls, door, etc. I was really afraid she was going to eat a piece of glass. It was a mess.

I ended up writing to Loblaw's and giving them proper hell. All they had accomplished by cheaping out on the plastic bags was to cause more people to request double-bagging, which totally undermines the cost savings and any possible environmental benefit they may have been going for in the first place.

Paper bags are not workable -- you have to carry those in your arms and you can't manage as many at once. Much more cumbersome.

I like to use reusable cloth tote bags, but I always forget to take them with me to the grocery store. Also, because of the afore-mentioned dog, I need to have plastic bags for ... well, you know.

So I don't know what the answer is.
misterXY
What they need to do is offer the totebags, when you come back with it, refund ur money if u have too many etc.... it's just a hassble with these cheap bags