FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ATI radeon X1700 Laptop - with Linux & Beryl???

turbosquid
This seem to be an ongoing question to which i have been unable to find a definitive answer. I am using a Samsung X60+ notebook and it's a great machine, i have duel boot with WinXPpro and Ubuntu Linux which i use a lot, I seem to have read 100's of posts on the subject of installing 'Beryl' (desktop eyecandy for linux) :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

It seems that there are some issues with installing 'Beryl' on ATI X1700 machines yet i have read many post saying that it is possible, i have tried many of the HOWTO guides and none of them seem to work for me.
My qusetion is has anyone actually successfully installed beryl on an ATI RADEON MOBILITY X1700???
if so how did you do it, and secondly which linux are you using?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

TurboSquid
teko
sorry for jumping on your post, but is there a site which gives the hardware specs for running beryl

Anyway I assume you´ve tried the ubuntu forums they have a forum dedicated to this as far as I remember

Good luck with finding a solution!
Studio Madcrow
Why would you be using Beryl? It's outdated. Compiz-fusion (aka the re-merger of the Compiz and Beryl projects) is where all the action's at these days.

Aside from that, I don't see why you would have problems. ATI's Linux drivers have really improved over the last year, to the point where they are just about as good as NVidia's and it's been a while since I've heard of the ATI problems with AIGLX (the technology underlying Compiz and it's descendants)

Your problems probably come from the fact you're using Beryl (which is outdated and was never particularly stable), but you could also simply be using some really old ATI drivers...