FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What is marriage?





Insanity
A simple enough question, but if you think about it, it's not really that clear.

What is marriage? How is it defined? How exactly would it be different than civil unions (assuming they both have the same rights and privileges, for argument's sake)?
Bikerman
Marriage is a legally recognised social contract between two people that unites them legally, economically, socially and emotionally.
TrueFact
Marriage is hard to be described and if you really think about it, you'll find every civilization no matter what place, time, religion or any other thing, had a marriage relation within their society.

Some think that there's a natural tendency within humans to have this kind of special relations which limit things to only one person. These things include but not limited to social, emotional and economical stuff. Though everyone now thinks that marriage is based on love, but at some societies social reasons comes first thus you are right 'Insanity' it is hard to be defined according to differentiation in societies, religions and traditions.
kerryworkman
Insanity wrote:
A simple enough question, but if you think about it, it's not really that clear.

What is marriage? How is it defined? How exactly would it be different than civil unions (assuming they both have the same rights and privileges, for argument's sake)?


In my understanding, marriage and a civil union are the same except for the presence of "God" in the marriage ceremony. The benefits and negatives are all the same, its just that someone decided that civil unions are not recognized by god. So if you happen to see him, he will probably not honor your shared insurance or medical benifits. Smile

I think with the absence of god in most peoples lives civil unions, are sounding pretty good, reguardless of your sexual orientation, skip god and get to the paperwork. Smile
Bikerman
kerryworkman wrote:
Insanity wrote:
A simple enough question, but if you think about it, it's not really that clear.

What is marriage? How is it defined? How exactly would it be different than civil unions (assuming they both have the same rights and privileges, for argument's sake)?


In my understanding, marriage and a civil union are the same except for the presence of "God" in the marriage ceremony. The benefits and negatives are all the same, its just that someone decided that civil unions are not recognized by god. So if you happen to see him, he will probably not honor your shared insurance or medical benifits. Smile
No this is not correct. Marriage has nothing to do with God - it is a civil contract. You may, of course, choose to have a religious element to the marriage, but that is not the marriage itself - that occurs when the register is signed and is a purely civil/secular matter.
M0rpheus
Marriage is a legally recognised social contract between two people that unites them legally, economically, socially and emotionally. Smile
Bikerman
Is there an echo in here?
kerryworkman
Bikerman wrote:
kerryworkman wrote:
Insanity wrote:
A simple enough question, but if you think about it, it's not really that clear.

What is marriage? How is it defined? How exactly would it be different than civil unions (assuming they both have the same rights and privileges, for argument's sake)?


In my understanding, marriage and a civil union are the same except for the presence of "God" in the marriage ceremony. The benefits and negatives are all the same, its just that someone decided that civil unions are not recognized by god. So if you happen to see him, he will probably not honor your shared insurance or medical benifits. Smile
No this is not correct. Marriage has nothing to do with God - it is a civil contract. You may, of course, choose to have a religious element to the marriage, but that is not the marriage itself - that occurs when the register is signed and is a purely civil/secular matter.


I may be incorrect, as I said it is only my understanding that this is how it is. My basis for that comment is derived from the seperation of civil union from marriage from a political standpoint. In that, the reason for not having homosexuals participate in marriage is that it is concidered a holy union, although god may or may not be involved in the ceremony, the state conciders marriage a religious as well legally binding union. Versus a civil union which does not involve a bond greater than mans.

I still may be wrong, but hopefully that clears my point up a little.
Bikerman
As I said, the state does NOT consider marriage a holy institution, at least not in most Western societies - it is a purely civil contract. The objections to gay marriage tend to be mostly religious, that it true, but many countries now do have same-sex marriage and I think the trend will continue. Many people who are in no way religious get married every day - the ceremony is a purely civil affair and has no religious significance at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/ethics/samesexmarriage/intro.shtml
Insanity
If what you say about marriage being a civil contract is true, how exactly does it differ from civil unions? Assuming of course, that the rights and responsibilities would be the same in both cases.
Bikerman
It depends on the country concerned. Here in the UK the differences are setout in the Government guidelines as follows;
Quote:
There are a small number of differences between civil partnership and marriage, for example, a civil partnership is registered when the second civil partner signs the relevant document, a civil marriage is registered when the couple exchange spoken words. Opposite-sex couples can opt for a religious or civil marriage ceremony as they choose, whereas formation of a civil partnership will be an exclusively civil procedure.
Insanity
So what that is basically saying is that the only difference between a marriage and a civil union is the ceremony, or a few spoken words?

Surely, if one wishes to have a civil union they have the option of making it a ceremony as well, right?
Bikerman
Insanity wrote:
So what that is basically saying is that the only difference between a marriage and a civil union is the ceremony, or a few spoken words?

Surely, if one wishes to have a civil union they have the option of making it a ceremony as well, right?
Basically yes. There is no possibility of a religious ceremony at present (that is, of course, up to the Churches) but a civil ceremony can be arranged (and often is).
supjapscrapper
Marriage is the ultimate declaration and proof of love, promise to try to bring happiness to the other for the rest of life. It is the definitive display of affections and it is getting ready for a day-to-day life with the other half. Projects, children and everything make life become such that it is not imaginable without having your husband or your wife on your side. This is marriage.
dual75
From a legal point of view it's nothing more than a contract. IMO there's no real reason from considering it something different from a civil union but here in Italy there's been a long discussion on how and why civil unions should be admitted.
...just beacause catolichs want to deny the right to any form of legal recognition to homosexual couples.
iyepes
In my country, after two years of living together, you have the same rights than having married, so you question is totally appropiate.

I think people who choose to marriage are more decided about their commitment, they want to show it publicly. We are a couple in front of the society. People who prefer be together without marriage, still keep a fear about commitment, they like having the back door still open, so they can run if they want to.

About civil unions, all marriages here have to be civil registered or have a civil ceremony to be legal, despite religion. That's why I'm making comparisons with living together.
iyepes
Added to clarify, after two years of a man an a woman living together. That law doesn't apply for homosexuals.
ssthanapati
Well other than all the definitions which people gave here I feel its all about compromise and adjustment without feeling that u are doing a favor on the other person. And this is really important in a marriage.
supjapscrapper
oh and there is something here, I just remembered. Some people marry because it is more advantageous in paying taxes, the only worse thing is the fact that some even get children becaus ethey get money for each child.... Marriage is something beautiful, long ago it was based on love and now ... well it is still but it happens a lot less and a lot later in life. And to be honest, many people are faraid of this, because they don't want to make an error in marrying the wrong person. And believe me they are right! Cause if you make the wrong choice, you are in hell man, and then marroage is the worst thing on earth, at least for one of the two.
Related topics
Marriage Contract
Marriage quotes 01
MARRIAGE a BOON or BURDEN !?!?!
Gay Marriage
Sex Before Marriage
Sex Before Marriage
Marriage and Divorce
Gay Marriage
Post your opinion on Indian Marriage System
What are your thoughts on gay marriage?
Gay Marriage
Gay Marriage
Men/Women/Marriage/Sex
Am i ready?
Do you value marriage?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Relationships

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.