FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 Out!

ganesh
Microsoft released the first beta of their internet browser, Internet Explorer, version 8 today!

I just downloaded it, and it is really great! Much better than IE7, which used to be really slow on my computer.

You can test drive the browser by downloading the version appropriate for your present operating system from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/Install.htm

Let us use this thread to share our experiences with this browser, with each other.
RiCtee
Apparently IE8 is going to support web standard finally, dumping their proprietary rendering engine. Good idea, but no matter what, it will never beat Firefox 3. Very Happy
urbanbuddha
It'll definitely take time for Microsoft to be up to par with web standards. However, this is welcomed news to web developers as we don't need to worry about quirks between browsers. Well they'll still be there, but just not as much.

I think one thing that Microsoft still needs to add is the extensions. Firefox became what it is now because of how easy it is to extend the functionality of a browser and gives the freedom to the user what feature they want instead of bloating up the program.

Side Note: I find it funny that they blurred out the address and title for the Data Recovery feature on the page showing the "New Features"
riyadh
nothing new to look at...same old GUI...just a few new features and tht's about it.had high expectations for it but i guess i'll wait for firefox 3
{name here}
riyadh wrote:
nothing new to look at...same old GUI...just a few new features and tht's about it.had high expectations for it but i guess i'll wait for firefox 3

It's a Beta. Microsoft doesn't really change interfaces that radically until you get into release candidates. All the features are there, but they're subject to change. I think this release will be a change under the hood, however, not above it. And that will be good for web designers for the most part.
snowboardalliance
I hope it starts up faster. When I switch to IE7 now because I have to (you know, certain sites) my computer hangs a good couple seconds and IE isn't even usable for maybe 15 seconds. Maybe something weird on my end, but I think it's a problem with IE.
gh0stface
I forgot that Microsoft even had a newer browser than IE 6. I've been using FireFox v2 forever and have been nothing more than pleased with it. Loads pages fast and been really secure.
Indyan
Btw, IE is still way behind in terms of standards compliance. It performs miserably in acid3 test (worst among all the major browsers).
chartcentral
Wow, looks like Microsoft's serious in the browser competition. After taking so long to launch Windows Internet Explorer 7 after IE6, IE8 Beta 1 is now released after only a short while. They haven't even made improvements to IE7, did they? Oh, maybe just minor. If it was a major improvement, then it's on the next major release... Acceptable enough. But I'll stick with Mozilla Firefox for a while, I reckon.
Diablosblizz
I just downloaded it, and it's horrible. It barely even loads a page properly for me. If they do update their web standards then that would make web masters even happier! Personally, I hate IE so I don't even bother to make my site look good for my visitors, but I give them a chance to download Firefox. Smile

Everything looks so off on my web on IE7 & 8, so they need to catch up. Anyways, I still say that they're copying Firefox because now they actually included the Add-ons, not just hide it in some option.
exit
yeah. I heard about this horible news...
If you can't understand why horrible, so I will explain...
It's because I hate this browser....
but who like it, terrific!
snowboardalliance
Diablosblizz wrote:
I just downloaded it, and it's horrible. It barely even loads a page properly for me. If they do update their web standards then that would make web masters even happier! Personally, I hate IE so I don't even bother to make my site look good for my visitors, but I give them a chance to download Firefox. Smile

Everything looks so off on my web on IE7 & 8, so they need to catch up. Anyways, I still say that they're copying Firefox because now they actually included the Add-ons, not just hide it in some option.

I use firefox too, but I've found that most things look the same in IE7 and firefox.
This is just generally and there are probably lots of sites that break in IE7, but I've noticed that it's a huge improvement over IE6.

Indyan wrote:
Btw, IE is still way behind in terms of standards compliance. It performs miserably in acid3 test (worst among all the major browsers).

Not trying to say IE is good, but I thought it did pass.. or maybe that was acid2

Anyway, Firefox 2.0.0.12 doesn't pass acid2 or 3 for me....is it supposed to?
©Wolfie
RiCtee wrote:
Apparently IE8 is going to support web standard finally, dumping their proprietary rendering engine. Good idea, but no matter what, it will never beat Firefox 3. Very Happy

But Opera will be the best at the end of the day. Wink It has the best (and most complete) rendering engine of all the browsers. And the browser self is very accisible. I really enjoy using the Opera features like Mouse Gestures.

Although I use Mozilla Firefox for web desiging!

Internet Explorer 8 didn't changed in GUI as far as I know. I hope that the Internet Explorer team will support many CSS elements. But they still should be ashamed if you see IE7 or IE6! I guess that IE8 will be something to be ashamed for too in the IE team........
exit
Thanks..
I hope it's much more than IE7.
Wink
LostOverThere
Which features have the stolen from Firefox/Opera this time? Wink

Although this is a pretty nonevent for me, as I use Firefox and sometimes Opera. It will be great if IE8 supports web standards (has that been confirmed?)
Indyan
©Wolfie wrote:
RiCtee wrote:

But Opera will be the best at the end of the day. Wink It has the best (and most complete) rendering engine of all the browsers. And the browser self is very accisible. I really enjoy using the Opera features like Mouse Gestures.

Although I use Mozilla Firefox for web desiging!

Internet Explorer 8 didn't changed in GUI as far as I know. I hope that the Internet Explorer team will support many CSS elements. But they still should be ashamed if you see IE7 or IE6! I guess that IE8 will be something to be ashamed for too in the IE team........

Gotta agree with you. Opera is definitely the best of the pack.
Ie 8 is hardly any significant improvement. It is still very very slow.
dude_xyx
I open IE would load faster than IE7. Its the same thing expect from Firefox since I use it as default browser. Firefox still has memory problems though I prefer it to IE.
Stubru Freak
It's quite nice, what they did with the address bar is particularly nice, Firefox planned to implement that, but they are first now, congratulations.

Also, it passes Acid 2. We'll see if they have cheated. I hope not.

It gets a lower score than Firefox on Acid 3, though Opera also fails that test by crashing at random.

But it's a great improvement for Internet Explorer, hopefully we can finally stop worrying about IE when doing simple tasks.
msnman
thanks
surdy
Yeah maybe great news for IE users , but I guess if someone really wants a better browser wait for Firefox 3 final release.
LostOverThere
dude_xyx wrote:
I open IE would load faster than IE7. Its the same thing expect from Firefox since I use it as default browser. Firefox still has memory problems though I prefer it to IE.

Actually, Firefox 3 Beta 4 seems to be a lot lot faster then Firefox 2, and of course a lot less memory intensive, thankfully.
Stubru Freak
surdy wrote:
Yeah maybe great news for IE users , but I guess if someone really wants a better browser wait for Firefox 3 final release.

Well, I think it's exciting that the majority of web users will finally have a browser that can render HTML. It will be the first time ever in the history of the web, that the latest technologies can actually be used without too much trouble.
snowboardalliance
Stubru Freak wrote:
surdy wrote:

Well, I think it's exciting that the majority of web users will finally have a browser that can render HTML. It will be the first time ever in the history of the web, that the latest technologies can actually be used without too much trouble.

You know people still use IE6 though, right? It would be nice if IE users would at least upgrade, but we aren't at a point yet where everything is pretty close to being standards compliant. However this is a good start.
Stubru Freak
snowboardalliance wrote:
Stubru Freak wrote:
surdy wrote:

You know people still use IE6 though, right? It would be nice if IE users would at least upgrade, but we aren't at a point yet where everything is pretty close to being standards compliant. However this is a good start.

Of course the release of IE8 doesn't immediately mean everybody will upgrade, but now that there is a good version, usage of the old versions can start to disappear.
pugboy
After using it for a couple days, I hate it more than IE7. This beta crashes like there is no tomorrow!

I hope the final will be more stable!
IllusionSoftware
Installed the BETA last night and I just went to the blender site and I gotta say its standards mode works 100% perfect Surprised

Stubru Freak
IllusionSoftware wrote:
Installed the BETA last night and I just went to the blender site and I gotta say its standards mode works 100% perfect Surprised

It's still a beta version of course.
But a lot of sites seem to render far from perfect.
orcaz
snowboardalliance wrote:

Not trying to say IE is good, but I thought it did pass.. or maybe that was acid2

Anyway, Firefox 2.0.0.12 doesn't pass acid2 or 3 for me....is it supposed to?

yea, firefox 2 doesn't pass acid2 test. only firefox 3 and opera passes acid2.