FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Official Monthly Contests

truespeed
Have some official contests.

There used to be a photoshop contest run by one of the forum members but he stopped doing it for lack of interest,but i think if this contest was made official and done on a regular monthly basis with prizes for the first 3,then it could work again.

Also what happened to the Writing contest,the last one was four months ago,how hard can it be to run this on a monthly basis? All you need is a story submit page and a selected number of judges to judge the entries.

Also anyone else with ideas for other monthly contests,then add them here.
rvec
truespeed wrote:
Have some official contests.

There used to be a photoshop contest run by one of the forum members but he stopped doing it for lack of interest,but i think if this contest was made official and done on a regular monthly basis with prizes for the first 3,then it could work again.

Also what happened to the Writing contest,the last one was four months ago,how hard can it be to run this on a monthly basis? All you need is a story submit page and a selected number of judges to judge the entries.

Also anyone else with ideas for other monthly contests,then add them here.

Some members are working on a fricontest project which will make it easier to host writing contests and maybe they'll also make it possible to host other contests with it.
You can find more info about it here: http://www.frihost.com/users/tidruG/blog/vp-82579.html

Also vrythramax is working on something which will also be very cool. I don't know exactly what it will become but it will be some kind of hall of fame and something with prices in your profile.

Anyhow, we want to have the contests but we want to have them well organized if they are official.
tidruG
I think I'll try to hold another Writing Contest. We can host it right here on Frihost, we will have to do most of it by PM, though.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

I think it would work best if it was a long time period (2-3 months) in between contests, and each one was well promoted. With it happening too frequently, the small group of people that usually participated grew tired of doing it over and over again, and the large group of people that might or might not participate just saw it as something that fades into the background. I'm not sure prizes are really needed anyway, though. Most of the people who participated were just looking for a little fun and perhaps some recognition, they didn't care too much about the prizes. A ridiculously huge prize 1000+ frih$ might attract the newer members who didn't have much.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I think it would work best if it was a long time period (2-3 months) in between contests, and each one was well promoted. With it happening too frequently, the small group of people that usually participated grew tired of doing it over and over again, and the large group of people that might or might not participate just saw it as something that fades into the background. I'm not sure prizes are really needed anyway, though. Most of the people who participated were just looking for a little fun and perhaps some recognition, they didn't care too much about the prizes. A ridiculously huge prize 1000+ frih$ might attract the newer members who didn't have much.

I agree monthly would be a bad idea for all the reasons you gave,so admins and mods,why not make it quarterly,or something,and i don't just mean the stories,also the photo shop competition,plus any more you or anyone else can think of,and promote it well so that you get as many entries as possible.
rvec
the stories website development stopped, so I think we should get a new idea. I'd say just make official contest and make those stickies.
Just not sure which staff member would want to administrate that.
truespeed
rvec wrote:
the stories website development stopped, so I think we should get a new idea. I'd say just make official contest and make those stickies.
Just not sure which staff member would want to administrate that.

The stories contest would be as simple as sending an entry via pm to the particular mod who was in charge of running the contest.

Also going by the last contest where there was only four entries (admittedly the subject matter restricted the amount of people that were able to enter) ,i doubt that there would be so many entries that it would be a struggle to read them all,so making too much work for frihost staff.

Also you could get non partaking users to help judge the contest,it doesn't just have to be staff.

The photoshop one is easy,just choose a picture and announce the contest.
Genesiz
I'd certainly be interested in taking part in another Frihost contest. The first one was let down a bit by a very specific subject, but i reckon if you make it more general you'd get a lot more entries. And some of the other ideas for official contests sound good, although i think it may be a while until they get integrated.

EDIT: I had an idea about how you could get more entries to a writing contest. Maybe rather than allowing just written entries, you could open it up to comic strips, animations etc.. There are a lot of people here who would enter such contests if they could use a different genre, and this might also upon upon various other contests as well. This is just a quick idea I had, but it might be something to think about.
LostOverThere
Sounds like a great idea. So long as the topic was kept quite broad so it didn't "cut people off" who weren't interested I believe it should be done.
truespeed
Genesiz wrote:

EDIT: I had an idea about how you could get more entries to a writing contest. Maybe rather than allowing just written entries, you could open it up to comic strips, animations etc.. There are a lot of people here who would enter such contests if they could use a different genre, and this might also upon upon various other contests as well. This is just a quick idea I had, but it might be something to think about.

Thats not a bad idea,web books (stories) don't have to be just written stories,they can also be visual,or a combination of both,so perhaps opening it up like you say ,would be a good thing.
ocalhoun
Perhaps it could be done monthly, but while rotating the type of contest...
month 1: photomanip contest
month 2: writing contest
month 3: best real, in use, frihost hosted web page
month 4: best blog?
month 5: best reply to some specific topic? (that's been done before a few times, and always makes that topic popular...)
month 6: back to photomanip contest (and so on)

That way people never get tired of any one type of contest, and at least a couple of them are ones that anybody here could participate in.
Genesiz
One a month does seem like quite a lot going on at once, and the ones for best post, blog etc. would take some time to organise and judge, which i expect the staff would like to avoid. If this was every 2 months, it may be better, but i have to say that i'm unsure about whether the 'best' contests would be a good idea.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

month 3: best real, in use, frihost hosted web page
month 4: best blog?
month 5: best reply to some specific topic? (that's been done before a few times, and always makes that topic popular...)

I go on another forum where they do a monthly "best post" ,it works quite well,and its done on a nomination basis,all the posts nominated are then put to the vote. But that is a celebrity picture site,so i'm not sure how well it would go down here.

Best blog: I don't think would work as nobody actually does them.

Best webpage: I vaguely remember one of the mods trying that in contests a while ago,i don't think it went down too well,as it involved a lot of time in terms of people looking at all the sites to actually come to a decision (I think there was a list of about 10) .

It could work,as long as the list is short,say about 5 sites. Maybe let people nominate and then the mod in charge of it chooses the best 5 and puts it to the vote.
LostOverThere
I must say, it would be really really cool if every year Frihost gave some awards where the members vote for "Best Website Design", "Most Traffic", "Most Unique Website", "Best Content", and so forth. Smile