FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CPU Water Cooling Suggestions:

Craeft
Hey there everyone. Well, here I am, building myself a new system, and I am thinking I want to go ahead and liquid cool this puppy. After all the money I put in it, I may as well finish tricking it out. I'm looking for the most effective, but quietest liquid cooling system out there. I am hoping you all will share your experiences with what you use, the pros, the cons, the comparisons, etc. Here is a list of the vitals:

ASUS Crosshair
AMD X2 6400+ (3.2GHz)
4GB (2x2GB) PC26400 GeiL
GeForce 8800GTX OC
WD 1TB Caviar
650W PS

I will be running the video card and CPU nuts, so I need a pretty effective cooling system. I do a lot of graphics design including landscapes with millions of particles for atmospheric variations, as well as heavy gaming. If I am on the computer, chances are, I am doing one or both of those, or video editing, etc.

Thanks, in advance, for any input and experiences.

EDIT:
Please be open to debates on your posts. If someone posts something as a suggestion that you don't agree with, please debate it in a mature fashion. I am really trying to get viewpoints on as much as I can, so the counter-points/debates to some peoples' suggestions are as important as the suggestion itself. Thanks much. Smile
Kelvin
I've not gone into liquid cooling myself but this local computer supplier site in my country always brings in all the good stuff for all the comp freaks and overclockers out there. here's one they have on Swiftech Apex 220 Ultra :
http://www.compu-zone.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&limit=8&limitstart=8

Maybe u can check out the official site too at : http://www.swiftnets.com/
Craeft
Well, I ran low on cash so I went and purchased a low-end heatsink and fan. Big mistake. My CPU is running at 48C at idle and at 64C at about 50% load. Not good.

Not sure how to remedy this situation with a standard active heatsink/fan. I know I can no longer afford a liquid cooling system at the moment, so it looks like I am back to the standard. The issue here, though, is cash. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Asus Arctic Square. I found one fairly inexpensive, but damn it's huge and mounting looks like it's gonna be a real pain. I can deal witht he pain of mounting if I have to, but I was hoping for one I could clip on to the standard CPU heatsink brackets but would get the temp down a good 20C at load. Because I do so much graphics work and gaming, I am concerned at the 64C at ONLY 50%!!!
Arno v. Lumig
I personally wouldn't worry about 64deg.. Getting it at 20 is nearly undoable, because the ambient temperature is near that.

Just get a cheap, but decent cooler from your local computer store, and make sure the cooling paste is properly applied.

You could also put an intake and outtake fan in your computer case, it may also help a lot (and be a lot cheaper)
Craeft
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
I personally wouldn't worry about 64deg.. Getting it at 20 is nearly undoable, because the ambient temperature is near that.

Just get a cheap, but decent cooler from your local computer store, and make sure the cooling paste is properly applied.

You could also put an intake and outtake fan in your computer case, it may also help a lot (and be a lot cheaper)

Well, it hit 76C last night when I was testing it after regooping and resetting the heatsink. The heatsink is still cold to touch even after extended use. That's a concern. I'm not trying to get it down TO 20C. I'm trying to get it 20C cooler at load (around 45C).
Problem is that the only place around here that sells heatsinks sells the crappy ones (like the one I have now), all aluminum, non-conductive. No place sells heatsinks anymore.
I tried adding a 120mm front chassis fan and there was no change to the CPU (the heatsink, when applied properly, 'hides' the CPU from external airflow. The CPU fan's purpose is to cool the heatsink which, in turn, puls the heat from the CPU. Well, if the heatsink's not doing its job, then no amount of fans will help with the issue. I DID get the MoBo temp down to about 25C with the extra fan, so that was nice... but the CPU's killin me. My case already has an 80mm side fan, a 120mm exhaust fan, and now a 120mm front chassis fan. I have narrowed the issue down to the CPU heatsink since I can pull it post-operation and hold it in my hand and it still being near ambient temperature.
ForceRun
Danger Den has some sweet kit check them out, dangerden.com
Craeft
ForceRun wrote:
Danger Den has some sweet kit check them out, dangerden.com

Excellent. Thanks. I'll give em a look. I just threw a bid on an Asus Arctic Square on eBay. Nice heatsink. I like the copper core/aluminum fin combination. Again, just big. heh