FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox/LAN problem

Sparda
Ok, my goal here is to get a file from this computer to the computer in the other room using my local connection. Now, I would normally use a shared folder and get the file from this computer like that, but whenever the file transfer is complete I end up with a corrupted file. Now, what I tried doing is setup a HFS server on this computer for my other computer to Locally download. The thing is.. Internet Explorer
doesn't want to download something that is too big of a file. All it does is do an instant complete download and just creates a 0byte image of the file. I've already used firefox on that computer before, but for reason it doesn't work on it anymore. Firefox allows big file downloads. What do you think I should do? It would be nice if I got firefox working so I can get this done.
w0ngie
have you tried using ftp server?
Diablosblizz
w0ngie wrote:

A local FTP server would work wonders. I use it here, and it's pretty fast. How big is the file if Internet Explorer won't download it?
Sparda
Diablosblizz wrote:
w0ngie wrote:

A local FTP server would work wonders. I use it here, and it's pretty fast. How big is the file if Internet Explorer won't download it?

It's about 2GB.
ftv_flung
I would suggest using bittorrent to transfer files over your network. I do it all the time with my backups. uTorrent is the simplest way of doing it.

1) Find the internal IP of your sending computer
2) Find the files/directory you want to send to the receiving computer
3) Fill out the Announce box ( which will be http://yourip/announce )
4) A torrent file will be created
5) Open the torrent file on your receiving computer.
6) Start the transfer
7) Transfer should be pretty fast because it's only travelling through the router.

^^ All the above is better explained in the link below.

There's a tutorial here - scroll down a bit to the flash tutorial.
Sparda
ftv_flung wrote:
I would suggest using bittorrent to transfer files over your network. I do it all the time with my backups. uTorrent is the simplest way of doing it.

1) Find the internal IP of your sending computer
2) Find the files/directory you want to send to the receiving computer
3) Fill out the Announce box ( which will be http://yourip/announce )
4) A torrent file will be created
5) Open the torrent file on your receiving computer.
6) Start the transfer
7) Transfer should be pretty fast because it's only travelling through the router.

^^ All the above is better explained in the link below.

There's a tutorial here - scroll down a bit to the flash tutorial.

Yea, the torrent works perfectly. There are no corrupted files. The FTP Server wasn't working for me anyways.
surdy
good idea ftv_flung. i have used torrent to send large files to friends .. but never reaslised i could even use it over LAN
thanks Smile
ftv_flung
Yeah it works fantastic! I use it all the time to transfer stuff between my computers over my wireless network, as well as to friends.

Glad I helped you guys out!