FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Robert Jordan

Alacarde
Anyone around here read anything by Robert Jordan? He writes the Wheel of Time series. Anyone?
Harrowed
LOL Anyone.. *SMACK*

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is evil! I want more .. MORE DAMN IT!

The last one he released was unbeleivably EVIL!

Rather then continue the storey he goes to the beginning!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Damn you RJ!!

Best damned righter around!
Alacarde
Yep yep, best writer. This guy rocks. I just didn't know if anyone else read his stuff, I tried at another forum, and nothing! Have you check out the newest book, Knife of Dreams?
Harrowed
Is it the next installment of WoT?

*CRIES* Bah why post this.. am searching google as we speak ^_^

*faints* OMG OMG OMG...

Must remain calm.. I'm off to town tomorrow it seems *wrings hands*
Alacarde
Harrowed wrote:
Is it the next installment of WoT?

Yes, it is..lol. Check out Jordan's site, it's at http://www.silklantern.com. IT has a whole bunch of useful stuff, but if you try to buy the books off of it, then you will just be directed to Amazon, lol.
kuad
A few years ago I was really into WoT but some of the later books weren't very good. I think they tried to rush the editing process and get the books out into stores too fast. The last one Crossroads of Twilight was a bit of an improvement but I still think the first 5 or 6 books are the best. But I'll still finish the rest of the series.
KungFuChris
I kind of got the feeling that the series has gone on longer than it should have.

Everything was going quite smoothly until about 3/4 the way through as far as he's got now and then I found one or two of his books dragged a fair amount. Almost as though he suddenly decided that he could pull out the ending to a couple more books.

And I don't know about anyone else, but there are way too many Aes Sedai characters to actually keep track of, and in the end they all just blend into one, with very little of their own personality traits showing.

I do like the way he blends the eastern and western styles to create his own world though.
GW_Addict
I have to agree with kuad and KungFuChris here. The first four or so books in this series are phenomenal, riviting, and impossible to put down. Unfortunantly, the last several books have just been re-hashing the same stuff over and over, and advancing the plot not at all! RJ is an incredible author, but I think his heart attack (yes, that's right, the bugger almost died before finishing the series!) addled his brain a little.

Dont get me wrong, the guys an awesome writer - he has proven that. But he needs to get the story moving again!!!!
KungFuChris
GW_Addict wrote:
I have to agree with kuad and KungFuChris here.

And here was me thinking I'd managed to insult everyone else into not replying Laughing

Still won't stop me from reading the most recent installment, but I doubt I'll actually go to the bother of buying it.

For a bit of a laugh, visit http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/sff.shtml and scroll to the entries on Robert Jordan's books. Definately a condensed form of what I felt with some of the books! Twisted Evil

The other 'summaries' are worth a look too, if you recognise the book.
kuad
Very Happy KungFuChris that Book-A-Minute site is hilarious.
quick_basic
I read one of the books but it was to long and hard for be to understand what was going on. It had too many big words. I thought it was extremley boring.
kuad
Knife of Dreams is out now. It'll be a while before I'll have enough time and get around to reading it but I'm fairly optimistic that it'll be a good book. Guess I'll have to refresh myself about what is going on in the series since it's been a while since I read the last one and I've forgotten pretty much everything.

Tarmon Gai'don approaches!
KungFuChris
That sounds like a good idea Kuad, afterall he did take that break to write the prequel Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, I think I've left most of my books in my parent's house... this going to cost me a fortune of pennys to request the to stock in my library Laughing
foalios
Book-A-minute - thats really funny!
As for robert jordan, the series WAS great for the first 5, i gave up on book 7.
However, Jordan saying things like:
You'll be sweating by the time you reach the end
Make me want to check the next book.
GW_Addict
Ahhh - thank you for sharing this link! I have spent a fair amount of time on this site just laughing my butt off!!

This is a must share with friends.....
apl_cdr
One of my favorite authors. I really like the way WOT mirrors our own beliefs. I can recognize the politics! I can't wait to read the latest installment.
Olivia Wood
So has anybody read Knife of Dreams yet? Is it worth buying? Worth Reading?

I read the whole series a couple of years ago during the course of a week or two, and while I liked it a lot while reading it, the plot did seem incredibly slow towards the end - especially considering I only had to wait a few hours to get from one book to the next.

Then I tried to read the prequel, repeatedly, but I kept on losing interest around two chapters in.

I don't know if I can get back into the series after so much time. With the plot moving so slowly, you pretty much have to be current in what's happening from one book to the next, and as it is I barely remember who the main characters are supposed to be. I'd have to re-read at least the book directly before Knife of Dreams (whichever one that was) and I want to know if it's worth it.

So? Anybody? Should I give it a try or should I give up on the whole thing?
GW_Addict
Olivia Wood wrote:
So has anybody read Knife of Dreams yet? Is it worth buying? Worth Reading?

I read the whole series a couple of years ago during the course of a week or two, and while I liked it a lot while reading it, the plot did seem incredibly slow towards the end - especially considering I only had to wait a few hours to get from one book to the next.

Then I tried to read the prequel, repeatedly, but I kept on losing interest around two chapters in.

I don't know if I can get back into the series after so much time. With the plot moving so slowly, you pretty much have to be current in what's happening from one book to the next, and as it is I barely remember who the main characters are supposed to be. I'd have to re-read at least the book directly before Knife of Dreams (whichever one that was) and I want to know if it's worth it.

So? Anybody? Should I give it a try or should I give up on the whole thing?

No - I have not read this yet for the same reason - the plot slowed down SOOO much during the last few books that I have decided I will wait until he finishes the series (if that ever happens!) and then start from scratch :)
aerialdreams
ooOOO, I love the WoT series! Too bad I'm a slow reader... I'm only on the 5th book right now!! That really sucks... maybe one day I'll read it all...
HimuraKiyone
Well, I _loved_ the series when it started. It had an actual story that could be followed in on book with a psuedo ending. I was really into it, in '93. I have just bought the newest installment a couple weeks ago and have yet to pick it up. The series is just so long and such a bore. There is so much unnecessary content and so much to remember. Also, too long to wait inbetween books. I can't remember what happened in the last book. I may actually have to review several books before I'm caught up. So reading of the new book my just be put off until sometime next summer...
merderan
JRR Tolkien and Robert Jordan... perfect writer both... But Jordan's books are very expensive Smile
Torchflame
Even Robert Jordan himself thinks it's slowed down too much. He said he'd be done in 10 books years ago. He just writes too much to cram all his story in there. But I enjoy it. if WoT wasn't like that, I'd go through it too quickly. But I'm one of those Rabid reader people, Crossroads of Twilight took me all of 2 days to read, and that's reading at home after work.
GW_Addict
HimuraKiyone wrote:
Well, I _loved_ the series when it started. It had an actual story that could be followed in on book with a psuedo ending. I was really into it, in '93. I have just bought the newest installment a couple weeks ago and have yet to pick it up. The series is just so long and such a bore. There is so much unnecessary content and so much to remember. Also, too long to wait inbetween books. I can't remember what happened in the last book. I may actually have to review several books before I'm caught up. So reading of the new book my just be put off until sometime next summer...

You nailed it - the latter books are too slow and rather boring. And in addition to going back and starting to write prequels before he actually finishes the series, Robert Jordan is now talking about leaving the story "open ended" and letting his son and others write in the world as "his legacy". I think this is ludicrous myself - he can still finish the freaking' series and let others write in his 'world' - much like Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman did for Dragonlance. My friend summed it up nicely when he said "you know, if he never does finish the series and turns it over to somebody else to do, his only legacy will be....” well - I won't finish the thought (its rather harsh) - but I can say it ended with Robert Jordan floating to the surface of his grave with so many people peeing on it.

Just to clarify - I am one who WILL read the entire series and own them all (if he ever gets them finished.) I too am just very frustrated with his lack of.....well, whatever it is he is lacking to get the job done!
zebrabongo
I was kind of disappointed with Crossroads of Twilight. The story slowed down to a crawl. Sure there were some important plot twists, but barely enough to keep you interested.
I usually re-read the entire series right before the next book is out, but not this time.

So with skeptical eyes I open my copy of Knife of Dreams, and I’m glad to say that Jordan is back on top again. He barley gives you time to settle in before everything breaks lose.

I’m not going to give anything away that’s not already out there, but I just have to say:
Galad challenging Eamon Valda to a duel with Byar and Bornhald as his seconds!

My, my, my…….

The Wheel weave as the Wheel wills.
sub
lol, this guy is an amazing writer. i was hooked for a while. however, his plot pace slowed quite considerably after a while. some books are more fast-paced than others. i dunno, after a while, i thought most of the newer ones were fillers more than actual worthy story material. i'm not saying he's a bad writer because of it; lots of authors use fillers to keep suspense up, or break the tension/whatever, but he does it a little too often.

the overall storyline of wheel of time is amazing. however, on the smaller scale on a per-book basis, the story-telling has slowly been deteriorating. i hope it gets better soon. the series is too good to put down Wink

sub
KungFuChris
sub wrote:
i dunno, after a while, i thought most of the newer ones were fillers more than actual worthy story material. i'm not saying he's a bad writer because of it; lots of authors use fillers to keep suspense up, or break the tension/whatever, but he does it a little too often.

If they were fillers then there was way too long a time period between releases. I think that's what gets on most people's nerves about it... You wait ages for the next book and find that almost nothing happens!

Good to hear that Knife of Dreams picks things up again though, zebrabongo. Might pick up the books while I'm home for Christmas and catch up on things.
GW_Addict
KungFuChris wrote:
sub wrote:
i dunno, after a while, i thought most of the newer ones were fillers more than actual worthy story material. i'm not saying he's a bad writer because of it; lots of authors use fillers to keep suspense up, or break the tension/whatever, but he does it a little too often.

If they were fillers then there was way too long a time period between releases. I think that's what gets on most people's nerves about it... You wait ages for the next book and find that almost nothing happens!

Good to hear that Knife of Dreams picks things up again though, zebrabongo. Might pick up the books while I'm home for Christmas and catch up on things.

Yes, he is dawdling way too much. However, Zebrabongo's post has given me a glimmer of hope. Looks like is is time to read Knife of Dreams.....
WinterMoon
I stopped reading the Wheel of Time when he hit book 8. He could have cut SO much simple crap out of those books, made it SO much better, shortened it, and probably made JUST as much money as he is now. He's lost readers by taking so long, his writing has gone downhill and honestly you can say all you want about how much better it is now, but I got bored with it *counts* six years ago and since then he's come out with three more books? Come on already! I could have ended this seriese five books ago and probably be getting better ratings at this point. I've gotten to the point of beyond care for Robert Jordan. Maybe I'll read the very very last one - so long as there's a guarantee of no sequel!

Winter Moon
benwhite
I'm a big fan of the series, but even I got a little tired about hearing about the embroidery on every dress anyone wore. The detail in the latter books got in the way of the pace. It IS too slow. That said, I still love 'em anyway. A great story, even if the books are themselves are full of hit and miss moments.

One big problem is that the cast of character is so big and the books come out so far apart that keeping up with everybody and everything (I mean between the Aes Sedai, Band of Red Hand, The Seanchan, the Aiel, Whitecloaks, etc etc...jeez) is really hard. The glossary helps and all, but its a pretty impressive ordeal to get through.

Jordan has also been spending some time toning down the first few books into teen or pre-teen versions. Shorter and simpler and such. A New Spring was good though, I appreciated the backstory and the pacing.
kuad
Agreed Ben. I quickly decided to "ignore" as best I could all the peripheral characters and focus only on the main ones, and that's still a fairly big bunch to keep track of. Besides, almost all of the peripheral characters are are basically the same but with different names.
GW_Addict
Sounds like I need to wait and read the teen re-writes. Might be less frustrating :)
benwhite
kuad wrote:
Agreed Ben. I quickly decided to "ignore" as best I could all the peripheral characters and focus only on the main ones, and that's still a fairly big bunch to keep track of. Besides, almost all of the peripheral characters are are basically the same but with different names.

Indeed. The Aes Sedai are either meek or pouty, often with with considerable cleavage. The soldiers are always grizzled. The wise women never let anyone know whats going on and are really secretive. Aiel all have a strange sense of humor. The seanchan always slur and have laquered nails...etc. etc. etc. Classification is one thing, but the extension is pretty uniform these days.
KungFuChris
Woohoo! Two pages! Laughing

I also find it very hard to keep track of the numerous characters going around, and you're both very right in that there's very little difference between the majority of them (I wish some of the girls I knew would fold their arms under their breasts as often!)

On the upside, however, it does make the world seem just that little bit larger, in that you realise that you can't keep track of everyone and everything that's going on, and that is one of the reasons I stuck with the series. Being drawn into a world full of people and not just four or five.

It's just a shame that it takes so very long for any of these people to actually do something. I think it would feel a lot more manageable if we didn't have to suffer them sitting around thinking for a couple of books.
zebrabongo
benwhite wrote:

One big problem is that the cast of character is so big and the books come out so far apart that keeping up with everybody and everything (I mean between the Aes Sedai, Band of Red Hand, The Seanchan, the Aiel, Whitecloaks, etc etc...jeez) is really hard. The glossary helps and all, but its a pretty impressive ordeal to get through.

What?
You mean you don’t memorize every Aes Sedai that walks by and is mentioned by name, and sometime a back story? Wink

I think the drinking game for Knife of Dreams should include the word “pillowfriend”.
There is a sneaking suspicion why the Reds don’t like men.

I’m 2/3rds through the KoD and I have to say that although a lot has happened, things still remain the same as in the end of the last book. The difference is that everything is in motion for the finale. I’m guessing one or maybe 2 more books.

And as I posted before: Not a dull moment yet. Good work RJ!
benwhite
Jordan said it he would finish on book 13. We'll see.

I love how big the world is, its really engrossing. The downside is that it takes so long to catch us up on what everyone's doing that no one actually gets to do anything! hehe.
KungFuChris
zebrabongo wrote:
I think the drinking game for Knife of Dreams should include the word “pillowfriend”.

Oh yeah! Cool Now there's a drinking game I'd pay for! Laughing
benwhite
I would say one shot for every mention of silk, hemline, or embrodiery--outfit description in general. That'd be about a handle per page I'd say Wink Double if the phrase 'substantial bosom' is mentioned or if the thread is gold or silver. Triple if it's Mat being a self-aware metrosexual (I want more stiching!).
GW_Addict
So zebrabongo, will you let us all know what you think of KoD when your all the way through it? I am really hoping it is as others are saying (in terms of things actually happening in it. :)
zebrabongo
Finished KoD a while back and just as I suspected nothing really changed. But on the other hand a lot got cleared up.

It was definitely better than the last book, but lacked the motion of the yearly ones. I think Jordan is gearing up for the last book and it won’t be a disappointment.

I’m not going to spoil anything for all you who haven’t read it yet, but I can give you a haunting line from the book.

Quote:
My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?

This forum should have spoiler tags so that we could discuss the latest book without beating around the bush.
benwhite
I finished it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, much more so than the past few. While little has happened between the Dark One's force and everyone else, a lot of the personal stuff has been taken care of. There's still not much action, but I definitely felt like there was more progress. It is frustrating though, because I agree--it feels like not much has changed. The next two books should rap stuff up nicely. It feels like the next book will be the reuniting of all the people and the last will be the battles and such.
GW_Addict
Man, it's times like this that I find myself lacking patience while waiting for him to wrap this series up. Sounds like I had better at least get off my butt and read KoD though..... :)
benwhite
Yeah you definitely should, even if you've been disillusioned with the series. It's definitely a strong book.

I don't even mind the slow pace of the books, I love them. I just wish I could finish the story because I enjoy the world so much. I bet he'll write a lot of prequels after all's said and done as well, like A New Spring. There's still a lot of backstory even with the current cast of characters, not to mention the rich history he alludes to.
crazedjill
lol, I've looked at that series, but never read it. That series looks way to long, there's no way it would be able to keep my attention over so many books.

I've read my share of fantasy, but I'm not a huge fantasy buff like some people I know. Robert Jordan, and umm... what's his name... Terry Goodkind? I think... are two authors I'll probably never read.
zebrabongo
crazedjill I think you should try out New Spring, the prequel to the Wheel of Time series.

It’s short enough to suite a short attention span, but you run the risk of getting hook and reading all of the other books. Wink
crazedjill
zebrabongo wrote:
crazedjill I think you should try out New Spring, the prequel to the Wheel of Time series.

It’s short enough to suite a short attention span, but you run the risk of getting hook and reading all of the other books. Wink
Then perhaps I will read it. Wouldn't hurt, eh?
benwhite
the Eye of the World is the first book in the contiguous storyline, it's also a bit shorter than some of the later novels. A New Spring is quite good, but you might not appreciate it as much without reading the first few books, as it tells the backstory of one of the characters. I would recommend reading Eye of the World to see if you get hooked on the characters and story. I certainly did.
zebrabongo
What I think New Spring gives you, apart from being half the size of Eye of the World, is an insight to the writing style of Robert Jordan and the world of The Wheel of Time.

If you are reluctant to pick up a 800+ page book, knowing that there are 10 more like it, New Spring would be a great way to get started.

If you liked that short story you can go on to Eye of the World without the prequel ruining it. It merely gives you a greater insight and perhaps greater appreciation for the afterthought Robert Jordan has put in straight from the start.

It was just by rereading the books that I started to catch little things that made sense only 2 books later.
benwhite
Oh you're right about the 832 pages. For some reason I thought it was shorter. No wonder New Spring went by so fast.

I think you could go either way. I think Eye of the World is a superior story, but New Spring is definitely more accessible. For some reason, I feel like there was more background and set-up in EotW because it was the first book. My impression (I don't remember though, since it's been a while) was that New Spring assumed a bit more familiarity. Then again, Jordan is exhaustive in detail, so you're right, I think it would still be a suitable introduction.
zebrabongo
benwhite wrote:
Then again, Jordan is exhaustive in detail

“I don’t understand what you mean by Robert Jordan being exhaustive” said the grizzly looking man in the red coat with silver threads along the arms and pure white lace at the cuffs, as were the style of the court, standing leisurely against the wall while still being on guard like a soldier that had seen many battles.

Wink
benwhite
You forgot that his was face was steeled, framing his icy blue eyes in a way that emphasized the long puckered scare that ran across his cheek. Wink
GW_Addict
lol - well, your on the right track. Now all you need to do is describe the mans past (including family, friends, and pets) to the same degree for about 300 more pages.....

Robert Jordan is certainly a creative genius, but I think the overkill on descriptions is his one shortcoming. It’s like he is afraid to trust anybody else’s imagination to get it right.
GW_Addict
crazedjill wrote:
lol, I've looked at that series, but never read it. That series looks way to long, there's no way it would be able to keep my attention over so many books.

I've read my share of fantasy, but I'm not a huge fantasy buff like some people I know. Robert Jordan, and umm... what's his name... Terry Goodkind? I think... are two authors I'll probably never read.

Terry Goodkind is an incredible author - though this is for another post.... :)))
papamurphy
I read the first Wheel of Time book, and I finished it in like two days. It was quite good. Then I tried reading the second one, and just couldn't get into it. I will come back to it sometime of course. I really like Terry Goodkind, I have read all of his books except Chainfire. If you like Robert Jordan you should also try George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. These are the greatest fantasy books out there at the moment in my opinion. Anyway those are my two cents, and I really do hope to get to The Great Hunt soon.
benwhite
I think the description has certainly stepped up (and gotten more unbearable) as the series has progressed. I don't know if he's afraid to finish the plot or to ruin his story by not giving it the pacing it deserves, but even with its shortcomings, I find I'd rather read (or occasionally skim) about embrodiery than not at all. With Jordan's style, it'd be had for him to choose which bits to leave and which to keep, so I'll take all instead of none, despite the fact that I know Illianers have goofy accents and that Shienarians have topknots. Oh well.
GW_Addict
benwhite wrote:
I think the description has certainly stepped up (and gotten more unbearable) as the series has progressed. I don't know if he's afraid to finish the plot or to ruin his story by not giving it the pacing it deserves, but even with its shortcomings, I find I'd rather read (or occasionally skim) about embrodiery than not at all. With Jordan's style, it'd be had for him to choose which bits to leave and which to keep, so I'll take all instead of none, despite the fact that I know Illianers have goofy accents and that Shienarians have topknots. Oh well.

Well said. :) I too agree that RJ is just afraid to get on with it. Has everyone seen the interview with him as he "lectures" the audience on how to pronounce the names etc. I really do think he does not anyone elseis interpretation of the books (ie - imagination) to differ from his - which is NOT the point of writing. As I said before, I think this is why he has gone so overboard in describing every little detail!
benwhite
I didn't read that, but that's pretty funny. I guess I can't blame him, I'd rather him have strong vision that be purposefully vague. I guess he feels that the more he leaves out the more he'd be just a fantasy clone writing generic stuff. At least it separates him right?

I always thought he should include a pronounciation key with the glossary at the end of the book. There just no way to tell with some of those name.
GW_Addict
GOOD NEWS......I was able to find that link for his interview.

The main part of the interview deals with WHY he stopped writing the series and stopped to write a prequel.

Go to the following URL. Then, towards the bottom of the page you will see a link to his interview.

http://www.tor.com/jordan/newspring.html

Enjoy :))

The pronunciation piece of the interview is a must for hardcore Robert Jordan fans.
benwhite
For some reason I thought there were going to be two more instead of one. I guess he has work cut out for him fitting the ending into one book. I almost think he won't be able to manage it. He'll certainly have to pick up the pace, which means it may be a fantastic finish then.
GW_Addict
benwhite wrote:
For some reason I thought there were going to be two more instead of one. I guess he has work cut out for him fitting the ending into one book. I almost think he won't be able to manage it. He'll certainly have to pick up the pace, which means it may be a fantastic finish then.

I agree.

I also had to laugh - using the words "Robert Jordan" and "Pick up the Pace" in the same sentence seems a large oxymoron. :)
benwhite
Maybe I should add whether or not he'll finish in one book as a bet on tradesports. I think he won't. Or it'll be over 1000 pages. One of the two. Or both, I suppose.
GW_Addict
benwhite wrote:
Maybe I should add whether or not he'll finish in one book as a bet on tradesports. I think he won't. Or it'll be over 1000 pages. One of the two. Or both, I suppose.

rofl
GW_Addict
benwhite wrote:

rofl - there is probably some money in these bets either way. You may also want to bet that he writes two or three more prequels before he finished the original series!
corridor_writers
Interesting forum here. I pretty much agree with whats been said here. Robert Jordan is certainly a lethargic, yet gifted writer.

His last book seems to be picking up the pace though. Hopefully he won't get side-tracked by the prequels he is working on and will actually finish the original series.

You know what I would really like to see as well? I would love to see him wrap this series up (including the prequels) and open his world up to other writers, much like what TSR/Wizards has done with their Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance series.

That said, I do have a hard time imagining him doing this, as picky as he seems to be about getting his "world" right in that interview posted by GW_Addict above. Smile
benwhite
I think given the incredible complexity he's given the world, opening it up would just lead to immeasurable inconsistency. He's knows so much more than he tells us in his tales of the Third Age. I don't think anyone else could get anything done without being furnished with his worknotes. Which would be kind of cool to read, though.
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
I think given the incredible complexity he's given the world, opening it up would just lead to immeasurable inconsistency. He's knows so much more than he tells us in his tales of the Third Age. I don't think anyone else could get anything done without being furnished with his worknotes. Which would be kind of cool to read, though.

I disagree. There are a lot of really good writers out there that could do justice to his world and his previous works. They would just need to have read all of the other books first.

You don't have to know every detail to create new stuff. Thats the greatest thing about imagination. You can add to what is already there.
GW_Addict
corridor_writers wrote:

I disagree. There are a lot of really good writers out there that could do justice to his world and his previous works. They would just need to have read all of the other books first.

I have to agree with benwhite here. As picky as Robert Jordan is and as complex as his world is I don't see any way a person could really do this adequetly (noth that he would EVER allow this as dang picky as he is!)
Even reading all of his notes and books would probably not be enough.

corridor_writers wrote:

You don't have to know every detail to create new stuff. Thats the greatest thing about imagination. You can add to what is already there.

I do agree with this comment though. But again, this is RJ we are talking about here. This is a guy who gets bent when you don't pronounce a book characters name right! :)
corridor_writers
Its fine that you disagree GW_Addict, but remember that the same was said of the Dragonlance world and what Margeret Wies and Tracy Hickman did for that world. I think that there has been a lot added to that world from other writers.

So sorry, I do believe that there are writers out there who could do a lot of justice to RJ's work.
GW_Addict
corridor_writers wrote:
Its fine that you disagree GW_Addict, but remember that the same was said of the Dragonlance world and what Margeret Wies and Tracy Hickman did for that world. I think that there has been a lot added to that world from other writers.

So sorry, I do believe that there are writers out there who could do a lot of justice to RJ's work.

I see your point, but you have to remember that neither Margeret Wies or Tracy Hickman is NEARLY as anal about the details of their world as RJ!
corridor_writers
Oh come on... think about this a second. Sure some writers have not done justice to another writers "world". But in every case there has been a handful of writers that have come along and made it WAY better.

You could use the Forgotten Realms as another example. It was started by Ed Greenwood (Elminster Smile But he was open minded, and along came other writers like R.A. Salvatore, and bang, the Forgotten Realms is a fantastic world that has grown beyond anybody's wildest dreams - much like Dragonlance has.

Maybe your right about RJ not letting others "in" to add to his world - but the guys is on his way out! I would happily place a bet that when he dies there will be some fantastic writers who do a world of justice this his work!
Thundr n Lightning
Are there any rumors out there with regard to when the next installment will be out? I was absolutely stunned by the first 4 or 5 books and read them at a pace that rather amazes me considering the complexity of the series. While I think that the later installments become a bit tedious and less riveting at times, I will definitely finish the entire series. I've invested too much time and energy into WoT not too Laughing
zebrabongo
Thundr n Lightning wrote:
Are there any rumors out there with regard to when the next installment will be out?

Jordan puts out a book about every other year now.
So since he published one last year, the next one will be in 2007.

This list will give you an idea:

1. The Eye of the World (15 January 1990)
2. The Great Hunt (15 November 1990)
3. The Dragon Reborn (15 October 1991)
4. The Shadow Rising (15 September 1992)
5. The Fires of Heaven (15 October 1993)
6. Lord of Chaos (15 October 1994)
7. A Crown of Swords (15 May 1996)
8. The Path of Daggers (20 October 1998)
9. Winter's Heart (9 November 2000)
10. Crossroads of Twilight (7 January 2003)
11. Knife of Dreams (11 October 2005)
12. A Memory of Light (working title) (2007 - if his publishers pressure him, or most likely middle-late 2008, considering his 2.5+ year release pattern)
zebrabongo
While waiting for the next installment of WoT, how about WoT Now.

Really funny cartoon with the characters of WoT.

Take this for example http://www.shadowburn.com/wotnow/comic.php?comic_id=129
benwhite
I want to laugh, but the desire to wonder why that exists makes me shake my head instead...
zebrabongo
Have you been to Tor’s Robert Jordan page lately?
http://www.tor.com/jordan/

Apparently he’s been diagnosed with a pretty serious decease called amyloidosis.
Even with treatment his life is probably shortened.

Even though this is a sad turn of events you have to find the humour in every situation.
Look at this quote from his press release:

Quote:
I sat down and figured out how long it would take me to write all of the books I currently have in mind,
without adding anything new and without trying rush anything. The figure I came up with was thirty years.

So I guess (if he lives long enough) the rest of us will have something to read for most of our lives. Laughing
corridor_writers
zebrabongo wrote:
While waiting for the next installment of WoT, how about WoT Now.

Really funny cartoon with the characters of WoT.

Take this for example http://www.shadowburn.com/wotnow/comic.php?comic_id=129

I laughed my butt off.....but yes, one must wonder who in the world had the time to put this together.
corridor_writers
zebrabongo wrote:
Have you been to Tor’s Robert Jordan page lately?
http://www.tor.com/jordan/

Apparently he’s been diagnosed with a pretty serious decease called amyloidosis.
Even with treatment his life is probably shortened.

Even though this is a sad turn of events you have to find the humour in every situation.
Look at this quote from his press release:

Quote:
I sat down and figured out how long it would take me to write all of the books I currently have in mind,
without adding anything new and without trying rush anything. The figure I came up with was thirty years.

So I guess (if he lives long enough) the rest of us will have something to read for most of our lives. Laughing

Like I said above....there have been a lot of people who have added great books and content to an existing authors 'world'. Based on this expected life span, and the volume of material, I would tell him he should start interviewing for a replacement as soon as possible. Smile))
corridor_writers
For those curious, here is some information on amyloidosis....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amyloidosis/DS00431
benwhite
I think the reason it may be difficult for other writers to use the WoT world isn't because they are incapable, but rather because Jordan (or his wife, whatev) won't let them. If his usual actions carry on in his will or what have you, we may very well not see anything not written by his hand until 80 years when the copyright begins to wear off.
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
I think the reason it may be difficult for other writers to use the WoT world isn't because they are incapable, but rather because Jordan (or his wife, whatev) won't let them.

I agree. Like I have been saying, there are many who are capable, just not in the eyes of the Jordans. :)

benwhite wrote:
If his usual actions carry on in his will or what have you, we may very well not see anything not written by his hand until 80 years when the copyright begins to wear off.

I hope for everyone's sake this is not the case. If so he will leave the world being cursed by many. Hopefully he cares enough about his readers to at least create a short-list of writers who he will grant access to his material in an effort to keep it around.
GW_Addict
Short list? lol - I think if RJ croaked today there would be not only a very, very long list of people wanting to take a stab at his work, but that there would be ever more people writing spin-offs of his work and trying to ride to fame on his coat-tails.

But again, I must agree that given his manner and stubbornness regarding his world, he will take it all with him to his grave.
benwhite
One thing I don't get--Jordan is notoriously nitpicky over his work. His books and stories are worked out to the detail, literally. The color of the embrodiery of every article of clothing ever worn in the world is recorded in his notes.

Then WHAT was with that the WoT FPS game? Of all things, how does that exist?
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
One thing I don't get--Jordan is notoriously nitpicky over his work. His books and stories are worked out to the detail, literally. The color of the embrodiery of every article of clothing ever worn in the world is recorded in his notes.

Then WHAT was with that the WoT FPS game? Of all things, how does that exist?

Yes, picky to the extreme. To picky if you ask me (he is living proof that you can have TOO much detail in a book!!!!) As for the game, I have never seen it, so am unfamiliar with it. When did it come out?
corridor_writers
Again - great writer....too picky.
GW_Addict
I know the game you are talking about. It was realeased a few years back. I played it all the way through. For its time I thought it was really well done, and enjoyed the Multiplayer piece as well (when it worked.

But your right - RJ has got to be the most picky writer on the planet. I would challenge anybody to point out another writer who is nearly so obsessive about the nitty-gritty detals of his or her book. As I have stated before, his first five books were fantastic, but after that he just started getting deeper and deeper into the tiny details, until you finnaly just wanted to give up on his books and go read something else.

A true shame for such a gifted writer if you ask me.
corridor_writers
GW_Addict wrote:
...A true shame for such a gifted writer if you ask me.

Actually some of the most successful writers in the world are the ones that obsess about the details. After all, it's the detail that makes a book.

And before you come back on that one...yes, I agree that Robert Jordan goes overboard on the details. There is definitely the possibility to overdue the details (something most new writers never have to worry about, as their editors will chop their documents to pieces if necessary to avoid this happening.)

Unfortunately when you are a name like Robert Jordan or Stephen King, you have the clout to be able to tell your editor to stuff it and do it your way.
GW_Addict
Agreed
Nevman
GW_Addict wrote:
Robert Jordan is now talking about leaving the story "open ended" and letting his son and others write in the world as "his legacy".

I've half heard this rumour before. As far as I'm aware, Robert Jordan has always planned on leaving certain non-crucial plot-lines open. The reasoning behind it, however, was that he hated worlds that ended with the last line in a book. He always wanted to believe the world continued on, after the author had put their pen away. And thus, by leaving it open with a few minor plot lines unresolved, he could guarantee that the Wheel of Time lived on in the imaginations of his readers long after he finished writing.

I've read one other author that did this with a series - completed the main story arc, but left a sub-arc open. It remains to this day one of my favourite series, despite the initial disbelief that the authors didn't plan to tie up their world.

papamurphy wrote:
If you like Robert Jordan you should also try George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. These are the greatest fantasy books out there at the moment in my opinion.

If you like Robert Jordan and George R. R. Martin, then I highly urge you to try Steven Erikson's Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. First book in the series is Gardens of the Moon. While Jordan appears to have struggled with the size and number of plot lines in the world he has created, Erikson has found a rather elegant solution for a world that, if anything, is even larger and more complex than Jordan's, but without the mind-numbing list of minor characters, or dislike of killing off major characters.

Erikson has created a universe with several hundred thousand years worth of history, then proceeds to drop the reader into the middle of a rather minor military campaign, slowly bringing you up to speed as you follow the characters through the series. If you enjoy the size and breadth of Jordan and Martin's worlds, you'll absolutely love Erikson's.

Having said all that though, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time will remain a favourite series of mine for a long time to come. I just hope that with all he's going through at the moment, and with the size the world had grown to between tEotW and CoT, that he can do the series (and ending) justice with Memories of Light.
corridor_writers
Ahhh, so many books, so little time. I have a wish-list of books to read, and the list seems to grow at almost an expediential rate.

Sounds like I need to add George R. R. Martin and Steven Erikson to my list of Authors who’s books I should read and maybe own. (I tend to have to own any book I really like.)

By your description it sounds like I would really enjoy both of these series.
benwhite
The game a pretty generic FPS based off the Quake engine. I mean it's fine, the plot is mildly random. It just sort of stands out from the rest of what's happened with the series and Jordan's command of its trademark.

Guess he needed some cash.
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
The game a pretty generic FPS based off the Quake engine. I mean it's fine, the plot is mildly random. It just sort of stands out from the rest of what's happened with the series and Jordan's command of its trademark.

Guess he needed some cash.

When was this game realeased? It is still a fairly easy game to find? What kinds of options for multiplayer did it have?

Thanks!
GW_Addict
corridor_writers wrote:
When was this game realeased? It is still a fairly easy game to find? What kinds of options for multiplayer did it have?Thanks!

If it;s the game I htink he is referring to, here is the info. According to GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wheeloftime/index.html)
"It is an extremely solid action game built on an excellent story and dressed up with stunning graphics."

By: GT Interactive, Legend Ent.
Genre: Action
Release Date: Oct 31, 1999
Players: 1-16 (tech info)

Rating: 8.7

Looks like you can still get it too.
benwhite
Wow, it was that good huh? I guess I should have read the gspot review back then. Whatever I remember reading wasn't as nice haha. Although at this point, 7 years later, I can only imagine what "stunning graphics" actually amounts to--my computer still probably can't play it.
noliver
I have only started to read Robert Jordan Book's recently. This was mostly because I could never find volume one in the local library and did not want to start at book 3 or book 5 or something. I have also read New Spring - which is like a prequel I think.

So at the moment I am on book three. The man is a great writer but I sometimes think he has too may plots at the same time and he can be very descriptive.
Victus13
I've read all the books many times over, and then some. I know most of the stuff pretty damn well.

I've been active in a Wheel of Time Role-Play for about a Year now. It's a big passion of my.

I love the setting and the series. RJ has created a very amazing world. Its great to read about Rand and all that, and and even more amazing setting to take part in.
benwhite
If you're on book three and you think there are too many plots, just wait. The series just builds and builds.

And New Spring is indeed a prequel.
TheStranger
I agree that sometimes these books ,in places, can be a bit tedious, but I consider that a failing in myself and not the author. Robert Jordan is creating an intricate world that I would imagine is as real to him as our own (within reason heheh , not sayin' he's a loony!).
The most endearing component of these books are the details, the fragile and real relationships between the characters, and of course the sociopolitical
aspects of the world he has created.

By the way, if you think Jordan is tedious, try reading Dostoevsky!
Probably a challenge for some. but well worth the effort.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Robert Jordan has been diagnosed with a rare blood disease that has shortened his life expectancy considerably. I would consider us very priveleged indeed if he is able to complete the WOT series.
For details : http://www.tor.com/jordan/
evandb
I actually really like these books. They may not be the best written, but they are pretty creative and engrossing.

Speaking of which, I need to read the newest one...
benwhite
Got to admire his will to live. Thirty years of books? I hope for the sake of his body of work that he manages to outline the amazing stories he has in his head even if he can't flesh them out.
corridor_writers
noliver wrote:
I have only started to read Robert Jordan Book's recently. This was mostly because I could never find volume one in the local library and did not want to start at book 3 or book 5 or something. I have also read New Spring - which is like a prequel I think.

So at the moment I am on book three. The man is a great writer but I sometimes think he has too may plots at the same time and he can be very descriptive.

Yes, like benwhite said. You think there is too much stuff going on now, just wait. Not only does this get worse, but by the time you've read one of his later books, and your head is swimming with how many directions things are going, you will have an epiphany and realize that you just read 600 pages, and the story jumped all over, but the plot went absolutely nowhere. :))))
corridor_writers
Victus13 wrote:
I've read all the books many times over, and then some. I know most of the stuff pretty damn well.

I've been active in a Wheel of Time Role-Play for about a Year now. It's a big passion of my.

I love the setting and the series. RJ has created a very amazing world. Its great to read about Rand and all that, and and even more amazing setting to take part in.

So, I've played a variety of role-playing games, but never this one. Is it a D20 system? Or a bit older? What types of source books are there for it? I would really like to know more....
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
Got to admire his will to live. Thirty years of books? I hope for the sake of his body of work that he manages to outline the amazing stories he has in his head even if he can't flesh them out.

As tedious as some of his later books were, I do agree here. I would be very bummed should he croak before he finishes his work.
corridor_writers
Boy, speaking of dead... I think this thread has about given up the ghost.... Smile

Consider this my somewhat feeble attempt to ressurect it. Smile))
benwhite
The thread picks up whenever something interesting happens with WoT. You can bet we'll be talking about it when the next book happens or any other news hits the fan.

I do believe the WoT rpg was fairly standard d20 fair.
corridor_writers
benwhite wrote:
The thread picks up whenever something interesting happens with WoT. You can bet we'll be talking about it when the next book happens or any other news hits the fan.

I do believe the WoT rpg was fairly standard d20 fair.

Or when RJ croaks without finishing the series.... Smile
roboguyspacedude
I just started Knife of Dreams like two weeks ago Razz Can't wait to read it now that we have Holidays.
bonestorm74
This series is still going? I gave up reading it 12 years ago because it seemed to be going nowhere.
corridor_writers
bonestorm74 wrote:
This series is still going? I gave up reading it 12 years ago because it seemed to be going nowhere.

lol - yup, believe it or not. In fact, I have not yet read Knife of Dreams, but I hear it is actually a decent read! (unlike the two previous books.)

Maybe he is moving in the right direction....again. Smile

We can but hope.
roboguyspacedude
bonestorm74 wrote:

How dare you insult such great writing.
benwhite
I like Knife of Dreams, it was definitely a step in the right direction. I think the next one is coming out within a year or so.

Aw, be nice. The series only started in 1990. 12 years ago was during the height of its popularity and during some really great writing. Now, 10 years ago and I might believe you.
corridor_writers
roboguyspacedude wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

How dare you insult such great writing.

lol - you need to read the whole thread before you judge me. Smile

I am a HUGE fan of Robert Jordan, and could not put down his first five books. Then, when he got sick, his writing went downhill. He wrote several books that did very little to progress the story. It was very frustrating.

Now, from what I understand, he is making a comeback and his latest book has done much to redeem his previous books that (while we may argue just how good or bad they were) did NOT live up to his first five. Smile
roboguyspacedude
I read online yesterday on wikipedia that the 12th book is due out in early 2009. That is a long wait......I'll be done my first year of college by then...
corridor_writers
roboguyspacedude wrote:
I read online yesterday on wikipedia that the 12th book is due out in early 2009. That is a long wait......I'll be done my first year of college by then...

2009.....wow, that IS a wait. But looking on the bright side, that gives us all plenty of time to go back and read all of the others before this one is out.

I don't suppose it mentioned anything about there actually being some closure or resolution to the series in the 12th book? If I recall that one is supposed to be last one, right? (Key word here is 'supposed'. Smile
secondeye
The previous book in Jordan's massive Wheel of Time, Crossroads of Twilight, may have come out in 2003, but don't let that fool you; the 11th tome in this epic fantasy is the one Jordan fans have been eagerly awaiting for the better part of a decade. The breakneck pace, lyrical beauty and astonishing scope of the early Wheel of Time volumes established Jordan as one of the top writers in the Tolkien tradition. While more recent entries have maintained that beauty and scope, the pace has slowed to a crawl as the central characters dispersed in six directions. In contrast, the latest explodes with motion, as multiple plot lines either conclude or advance, and the march to Tarmon Gai'don—the climactic last battle between the Dragon Reborn and the Dark One—begins in earnest. Jordan has said that readers will be sweating by the end of the book, and he's probably right. Sweating or not, they'll also be dreading the long year or two before the 12th installment.
corridor_writers
secondeye wrote:
The previous book in Jordan's massive Wheel of Time, Crossroads of Twilight, may have come out in 2003, but don't let that fool you; the 11th tome in this epic fantasy is the one Jordan fans have been eagerly awaiting for the better part of a decade. The breakneck pace, lyrical beauty and astonishing scope of the early Wheel of Time volumes established Jordan as one of the top writers in the Tolkien tradition. While more recent entries have maintained that beauty and scope, the pace has slowed to a crawl as the central characters dispersed in six directions. In contrast, the latest explodes with motion, as multiple plot lines either conclude or advance, and the march to Tarmon Gai'don—the climactic last battle between the Dragon Reborn and the Dark One—begins in earnest. Jordan has said that readers will be sweating by the end of the book, and he's probably right. Sweating or not, they'll also be dreading the long year or two before the 12th installment.

First – thanks for the info, it was good.

Second, as somebody who has forgotten to use quotes on occasion myself (very unintentionally) I will not be so rude as to accuse you of Plagiarism. However, it is very obvious you did not write this yourself. You should have put your post in quotes. Smile

Looks like the whole piece can be found at http://www.tor.com/jordan/reviews.html
roboguyspacedude
Hopefully Rand will die in the end. Yes, he's an amazing character, but it would be fun and more exciting if he dies.
corridor_writers
roboguyspacedude wrote:
Hopefully Rand will die in the end. Yes, he's an amazing character, but it would be fun and more exciting if he dies.

Wow - thats harsh....though not necessarily wrong. Smile

Actually, there have been times while reading that I had hoped some of those snooty Ais Sedai would keel over. Smile
eday2010
I read the first three books, but couldnt get into the 4th one. I had to fight to finish the third one. So boring! He failed to do a good enough job to keep my interest like Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind can.
corridor_writers
eday2010 wrote:
I read the first three books, but couldnt get into the 4th one. I had to fight to finish the third one. So boring! He failed to do a good enough job to keep my interest like Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind can.

Agreed - though others on this post are saying that he is getting his act together and that this last book of his was actually a good read. I have yet to read it for myself (I purchased it, and it has been sitting on my shelf) - but it might be worth you checking into.

Oh, and for the record, Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind are also amongst my fovorite authors. Right up there with Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Smile
Scaramanga
corridor_writers wrote:
Oh, and for the record, Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind are also amongst my fovorite authors. Right up there with Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Smile

In SF/F or in general? Because if those are your favourite writers period, yikes, you might want to expand your horizons a little. While Goodkind isn't a bad writer, Brooks is just a hack IMO. As for Weis and Hickman, well they might've written a few books outside of the genre, but I think they'll always be known for the Dragonlance books, which, while I enjoyed them when I was in my mid- to late-teens, they just don't stand up as exemplary works of fiction.

Also, back to Jordan. He has admitted himself that he probably won't have the books out until mid- to late-2008, although Tor wants to release the Prelude by August of this year (I doubt he'll do it.) As for Jordan's story-telling style, especially in regards to the later books: I feel while the pacing has slowed down, Jordan hasn't been really any more or less descriptive than he was in the first four books. Honestly, I'm in the process of reading the series before I start on KoD (currently on Winter's Heart,) and at most he relegates character descriptions to a sentence or two, possibly more with new characters.

He's certainly no where near as bad as certain acclaimed authors like Anne Rice, who spends literally pages describing the "florid" details of New Orleans or Paris, or going on at great length about the "smouldering sensuality" of Lestat (yes Anne, we get it, you like gay boys.)
corridor_writers
Scaramanga wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:
Oh, and for the record, Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind are also amongst my favorite authors. Right up there with Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Smile

In SF/F or in general? Because if those are your favourite writers period, yikes, you might want to expand your horizons a little. While Goodkind isn't a bad writer, Brooks is just a hack IMO. As for Weis and Hickman, well they might've written a few books outside of the genre, but I think they'll always be known for the Dragonlance books, which, while I enjoyed them when I was in my mid- to late-teens, they just don't stand up as exemplary works of fiction.

Also, back to Jordan. He has admitted himself that he probably won't have the books out until mid- to late-2008, although Tor wants to release the Prelude by August of this year (I doubt he'll do it.) As for Jordan's story-telling style, especially in regards to the later books: I feel while the pacing has slowed down, Jordan hasn't been really any more or less descriptive than he was in the first four books. Honestly, I'm in the process of reading the series before I start on KoD (currently on Winter's Heart,) and at most he relegates character descriptions to a sentence or two, possibly more with new characters.

He's certainly no where near as bad as certain acclaimed authors like Anne Rice, who spends literally pages describing the "florid" details of New Orleans or Paris, or going on at great length about the "smoldering sensuality" of Lestat (yes Anne, we get it, you like gay boys.)

A couple of your points I agree with, others I don’t. Smile First, I agree that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman will always be best know for their success with Dragonlance. However, some of their other works have surpassed these books (such as the Death Gate Cycle series) that place them much higher in terms of Sci-Fi/Fantasy authors.

As for expanding my horizons, I did say that these were “among” my favorite authors. I could spend a LONG time listing others that and also “amongst” my favorites (Ed Greenwood, Robert Jordan, Orson Scott Card, George R. Martin, R.A Salvatore, etc.) Smile

And yes, I agree with your description of Jordan’s change in style, but while he may still be as descriptive as ever (which don’t get me wrong, I love this about his writing) his latter books have failed in many regards to do the one thing that all books MUST do to succeed, and that is to hold the reader captive (not bore him at times.)

And to your last comment – well spoken. I really enjoyed Anne Rices initial vampire trilogy, and even one or two others past that, but you are absolutely correct – her writing quickly became unreadable after that. Smile
Scaramanga
corridor_writers wrote:
And yes, I agree with your description of Jordan’s change in style, but while he may still be as descriptive as ever (which don’t get me wrong, I love this about his writing) his latter books have failed in many regards to do the one thing that all books MUST do to succeed, and that is to hold the reader captive (not bore him at times.)

I agree that the last three books I've read (I've yet to get to KoD, so I'm not counting that) can get kind of tedious at times, but I think for me, it mainly has to do with the 20 or so sub-plots he has going on. Just when I'm getting in to what's going on with say Matt, he has to switch over to the rebel AS for a chapter. And yes, I'll admit sometimes he belabours certain points, like why must we get a whole treatise on the changing of clothes in Tel'aran'rhiod EVERY time Nynaeve or Elayne steps into it.

But the way I look at it, he's better than most fantasy writers I know, and I think he comes dangerously close to rivalling Tolkien for sheer depth and detail of the world, if not for storytelling (mostly in the earlier books.)
corridor_writers
Scaramanga wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:

I agree that the last three books I've read (I've yet to get to KoD, so I'm not counting that) can get kind of tedious at times, but I think for me, it mainly has to do with the 20 or so sub-plots he has going on. Just when I'm getting in to what's going on with say Matt, he has to switch over to the rebel AS for a chapter. And yes, I'll admit sometimes he belabours certain points, like why must we get a whole treatise on the changing of clothes in Tel'aran'rhiod EVERY time Nynaeve or Elayne steps into it.

But the way I look at it, he's better than most fantasy writers I know, and I think he comes dangerously close to rivalling Tolkien for sheer depth and detail of the world, if not for storytelling (mostly in the earlier books.)

Yes, this pretty much sums it up. In fact, as frustrated as I get with him going on and on about minute details (your example of the “treatise on the changing of clothes in Tel'aran'rhiod” is perfect ) I would also have to admit I can think of no other writer besides Tolkien who has put SOOOOOO much detail into their worlds. It makes one wonder….was Tolkien as up tight about people mis-pronouncing words etc. in middle earth?
304esque
Oh gaaawd robert jordan >_< he was my only source of good books for a while. I loved it till book five, decently got through book six and seven, but it took me a whole year to finish reading book 8! I'm not really sure about buying book 9 now...

I always thought writers gets better with time (like Pratchett. I love the plot/concept of his older books, but it's a draaag to read if you've been pampered with his newer ones) but Jordan just draaaaags it the older he gets.

It's really very disappointing...

Can anyone tell me if it is a lot worse from book 9 to 11? when's book 12 coming out anyway? I heard it's the last installment?
roboguyspacedude
He's Dead!!!!!!!!.......RJ is dead since Sunday :'(
corridor_writers
304esque wrote:
Oh gaaawd robert jordan >_< he was my only source of good books for a while. I loved it till book five, decently got through book six and seven, but it took me a whole year to finish reading book 8! I'm not really sure about buying book 9 now...

I always thought writers gets better with time (like Pratchett. I love the plot/concept of his older books, but it's a draaag to read if you've been pampered with his newer ones) but Jordan just draaaaags it the older he gets.

It's really very disappointing...

Can anyone tell me if it is a lot worse from book 9 to 11? when's book 12 coming out anyway? I heard it's the last installment?

Very good questions. I would like to know the answer to this question myself. I could not get past book 7. Is there anything worth trying to get to by reading up to the current book?

roboguyspacedude wrote:
He's Dead!!!!!!!!.......RJ is dead since Sunday :'(

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!!!!!

So.....now we are left to wonder who will finish his Wheel of Time Series. Sad
Shewolf
Apparently the books get better again after a while, can't remember the number though Wink
A truly shame he's died, and horribly planed as well. I don't think it's nice of a person to go ahead and die, when people are waiting for the end of a story.
roboguyspacedude
It says in different places what will happen now. I've heard both Wilson, RJ's cousin, and harriet, his wife, know the ending and whole plot of book 12. I think his wife will finish it.
corridor_writers
Shewolf wrote:
Apparently the books get better again after a while, can't remember the number though Wink
A truly shame he's died, and horribly planed as well. I don't think it's nice of a person to go ahead and die, when people are waiting for the end of a story.

Yes, it is a shame when somebody dies, especially with so many people waiting for a conclusion from them. I must say however that now we might actually get the series finished….and the last books may again become interesting!

roboguyspacedude wrote:
It says in different places what will happen now. I've heard both Wilson, RJ's cousin, and harriet, his wife, know the ending and whole plot of book 12. I think his wife will finish it.

I just hope whoever does finish it does a better job that the late Mr. Jordan. I would be worried that if his wife did it she might be too much like him. On that note, does anybody know if his wife is a writer as well? If not then the books may get even worse….if this is even possible.

My vote would be to have a well-renowned fantasy / sci-fi writer finish it. Somebody like R.A. Salvatore or Ed Greenwood.
304esque
corridor_writers wrote:

My vote would be to have a well-renowned fantasy / sci-fi writer finish it. Somebody like R.A. Salvatore or Ed Greenwood.

well known or not, it'd have a different taste in the words, the writings and all >_<

true, the new man/woman would probably be a lot more brief, but..... the flavour!

I have to say, though. I can't stop thinking that I wish he did not expand it so much towards the end and dragged it so painfully, so it could have been done before he passed away. I'd think that it'd have made him feel a little more accomplish, what with it being gone, done and archieved.....

the littler detailes/side plots could have gotten into shorter novellas...
corridor_writers
304esque wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:

well known or not, it'd have a different taste in the words, the writings and all >_<

true, the new man/woman would probably be a lot more brief, but..... the flavour!

I have to say, though. I can't stop thinking that I wish he did not expand it so much towards the end and dragged it so painfully, so it could have been done before he passed away. I'd think that it'd have made him feel a little more accomplish, what with it being gone, done and archieved.....

the littler detailes/side plots could have gotten into shorter novellas...

I would have to say that Jordan's "flavour" turned sour after book 5. And he could have easily finished it before he died if he had not been so keen on souring all of our palletes. Smile

What happens with the last book will be interesting. If it's a smash hit I would vote for the same writer to go back and re-write the others (back to book 5) so that they are all enjoyable. Smile
304esque
corridor_writers wrote:
What happens with the last book will be interesting. If it's a smash hit I would vote for the same writer to go back and re-write the others (back to book 5) so that they are all enjoyable. Smile

Oh dear XDDD

Well, I just hope that if the last book is a hit, I hope it wont be because he's dead.

Like them Tolkien books and them Van Goghs.

And Mozarts.
blk3
Too bad he died before finishing the last book. He was so close, only the last book remains. And if they deligate the task to another author I hope that he/she is up to it. It wouold be really bad if it didn't turn out as good as Jordan would have wanted it to be. I remember The Wheel of Time series is the one that got me hooked into reading fantasy books, and its a sad note that its author died before completing the series. I hope that maybe someday it will also get the big screen treatment like most books had like The Lord of the rings and Harry Potter only I hope when that time comes they stay true to the books which the fans really loves.
corridor_writers
304esque wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:

Oh dear XDDD

Well, I just hope that if the last book is a hit, I hope it wont be because he's dead.

Like them Tolkien books and them Van Goghs.

And Mozarts.

I don’t think he is quite Tolkien or Mozart material. He may have been prior to writing the sixth book, but after that he really shot himself is the foot as a top-notch fantasy writer. I think that the series will finish, and that will be that. (Though as I noted earlier, it would be nice to see somebody go back and re-write the last five or so books.) Smile

blk3 wrote:
Too bad he died before finishing the last book. He was so close, only the last book remains. And if they deligate the task to another author I hope that he/she is up to it. It wouold be really bad if it didn't turn out as good as Jordan would have wanted it to be. I remember The Wheel of Time series is the one that got me hooked into reading fantasy books, and its a sad note that its author died before completing the series. I hope that maybe someday it will also get the big screen treatment like most books had like The Lord of the rings and Harry Potter only I hope when that time comes they stay true to the books which the fans really loves.

If done properly I think that this series would make a phenomenal movie series. The game was even pretty cool. Making these into movies would give the director the license to cut out all of the ‘fluff’ that Jordan added into his last few books, and get down to the story itself. Easily making each book movie length. Smile

And I have already said that I think there are a number of authors who would do great justice to his legacy if given the opportunity to finish his series. Smile
blk3
Quote:

If done properly I think that this series would make a phenomenal movie series. The game was even pretty cool. Making these into movies would give the director the license to cut out all of the ‘fluff’ that Jordan added into his last few books, and get down to the story itself. Easily making each book movie length. Smile

And I have already said that I think there are a number of authors who would do great justice to his legacy if given the opportunity to finish his series. Smile

A game? did you mean a video game? I didn't realize that a video game was made from it? Maybe it was the FPS game that was made years ago around the 90s i think, but doesn't everybody think that the Wheel of Time series would translate into a very good RTS (real time strategy game), common we have lots of factions to be set as races, we have the Aes Sedai, the Ashaman, the WhiteCloaks, the Shienarians, the Aiel etc. And diff. kinds of creature units and special abilities for heroes (Rand, Perrin etc. ) too. I think i should start a thread for peaching in ideas for the WOT RTS game.
corridor_writers
blk3 wrote:
Quote:

A game? did you mean a video game? I didn't realize that a video game was made from it? Maybe it was the FPS game that was made years ago around the 90s i think, but doesn't everybody think that the Wheel of Time series would translate into a very good RTS (real time strategy game), common we have lots of factions to be set as races, we have the Aes Sedai, the Ashaman, the WhiteCloaks, the Shienarians, the Aiel etc. And diff. kinds of creature units and special abilities for heroes (Rand, Perrin etc. ) too. I think i should start a thread for peaching in ideas for the WOT RTS game.

Yes, as noted by benwhite earlier in this thread "The game a pretty generic FPS based off the Quake engine. I mean it's fine, the plot is mildly random. It just sort of stands out from the rest of what's happened with the series and Jordan's command of its trademark." Also , GW_Addict posted this: "If it;s the game I htink he is referring to, here is the info. According to GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wheeloftime/index.html)
"It is an extremely solid action game built on an excellent story and dressed up with stunning graphics."

By: GT Interactive, Legend Ent.
Genre: Action
Release Date: Oct 31, 1999
Players: 1-16 (tech info)

Rating: 8.7

Looks like you can still get it too."

You should check it out. I actually purchased and played it, and despite some multiplayer bugs, it is a really fun game.
corridor_writers
Has anybody heard any work on who will complete Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series?
corridor_writers
OK - hearing nothing....I did a little digging. Here is what I found.

"Tor Books announced today that novelist Brandon Sanderson has been chosen to finish the final novel in Robert Jordan’s bestselling Wheel of Time fantasy series. Robert Jordan, one of the greatest storytellers of the 20th and early 21st centuries, died September 16th after a courageous battle with the rare blood disease amyloidosis." - Quoted from http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=326

Also, I did not know what amyloidosis was, so here is what I found.

"In medicine, amyloidosis refers to a variety of conditions in which amyloid proteins are abnormally deposited in organs and/or tissues, causing disease. A protein is amyloid if, due to an alteration in its secondary structure, it takes on a particular insoluble form, called the beta-pleated sheet." - Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyloidosis