FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do we snore?

Do you snore?
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Sometimes
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I don't know (nobody ever complained)
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

singh.gurjeet
I generally don't snore. But my wife tells me that I do snore sometimes. She has noticed that I snore on the days when I am tired too much from day's work.

Does this in any way show that the people who snore on a daily basis are working hard/getting tired, or that at some point in life they were working hard when they picked up this habit.

Any experts around here?

Gurjeet.
Bikerman
Snoring can be caused by a few different things. In your case it sounds like tension. If you don't normally snore then what is probably happening is that the jaw muscles are tense and your jaw is slightly out of normal position when you sleep. Other causes include fat around the throat, weakness in the throat and bunged-up nose. Alcohol consumption will often produce snoring as well.
If you are overweight then this is often a contributory factor.
You might like to try something to relax before bed on the days when you are overtired - a hot bath perhaps, or a facial massage.
You may also find that altering your sleeping position will help - try to sleep on your side, not your back.
Chris24
We snore so we can drive our wives out of the bedroom and get a good night's sleep Wink
ashok
I heard that it's something related to breathing problems...

People with snoring problems tend to have one of the following conditions:

* Poor muscle tone in the tongue and throat
* Excessive bulkiness of throat tissue
* Long soft palate and/or uvula tissue in the back of the mouth
* Obstructed nasal airways

There are more than 300 devices registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to help cure snoring Shocked

Got the info from here and here
Chris24
If you have acid reflux that is a cause of snoring as well
emem
We snore because our muscles in mouth don't hold our mouth closed and we make funny noises through our mouth and nose
nivinjoy
I don't snore...and i hate others snoring (no bad feeling please...) because i can't sleep nice even if a very small sound is there....That's why i don't like who snores...

And i have heard that people who don't snore usually may snore when they have the disease of cold...Is that right...?? Question Question
svtns
Chris24 wrote:
We snore so we can drive our wives out of the bedroom and get a good night's sleep Wink

Hahaha Very Happy That's a great one, Personally I don't snore a lot but I do talk in my sleep , think that's rather scary.
Insanity
Snoring is really bothersome because it really affects my roommate; he can't sleep with my loud snoring so he feels the need to wake me up every time I'm snoring. Of course, this results in me being awoken several times a night, which doesn't do any good for my night time rest.

I don't know if this is related, but I also have sleep apnea which might also be due to the snoring where I can't breathe and wake up gasping for air. Yeah.
crimson_aria
I don't know. Well nobody complains so I guess I don't. I believe I don't. hehe
The-Ron-Man
My father used to snore terribly. It would keep me awake some nights. My mother could put up with it, though. That was until he got sleep apnea. She'd just get used to him snoring, and then he'd stop for a while. Take a break. Later, he'd start back up, but she'd still be to shocked to sleep. Oh, the memories.
imera
I am told I don't snore, which is a pretty great thing Razz But what I do is that I grind my teeth together and make a really bad sound Razz I know in a way how it sounds because one of my sisters do the same thing, and it's not nice Razz But I can't help it, that seem to be worse than snoring because with snoring you can do something
my_love
I also heard that if a person snore a lot he/she may have a possibility to have a cardiac arrest while asleep...because the air passage on the throat and into the nose has difficulty coming out and also some are due to the fats that has been covering the heart...so I guess more exercise, less to the fatty foods and try cereals and oatmeals.
crimson_aria
^ seriously? i never thought snoring is dangerous. my mom has started snoring lately. i should tell her.
flowerpower
i don't snore..well no one has complained yet. I read somewhere that snoring can be a sign that something is going wrong with your body..respiratory problems maybe. not so sure. But loud snoring,well simply snoring in fact, can be a real pain for the person sleeping nearby.
mikakiev
One cause of the snoring can be a syndrom of sleeping apnoae,CPAP can help.