FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Common Courtesy - Your thoughts?

KatanaSky
It's amazing how inconsiderate people are sometimes ...and they go on as if it isn't an issue - and when they are confronted they go as far as retaliating and taking it as an offense. It's madness. lol

...just some examples:

WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN EMAILS - ...and demanding something as opposed to just simply asking.

Talking to someone on the phone then they talk to someone on their side of the line without even asking you to hold.

Barging in an elevator without letting the people/person inside get out first (ok, I stole this one from this thread lol)

People taking a parking spot when they know you've been waiting for the other car to move first. (happened twice so far).

Borrowing a pen or pencil and not giving it back (it's small but still annoying!)

I'm sure there's more... ..what do you guys have?
sjohnson
I really don't like it when people write in capital letters. It indicates shouting in the virtual world and it makes it very difficult to read the message. I find it also very rude to supposedly want to spend some time with friends or family members, yet you spend more time on the phone.

Also, if you want to change lanes, turn on your blasted turn signal. It's not only rude not to, but dangerous.

I find it rude to let your children run around (or glide around on those stupid shoe wheel skates things) when they are getting in people's way and sometimes running into people without saying excuse me or I'm sorry.

Not asking someone if you can smoke before you begin.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Smile
missdixy
I hate when people get onto the bus when I was there first, then I end up having to stand the whole bus ride and they get a seat. OH GOD THAT ANGERS ME. Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Thumpercats
My tip is that you should not get hung up on little things like coutesy. I am sure that we've all had our moments where we just felt someone was being discourteous, but if you think real hard I am sure that every who posted in here has done something discourteous to someone else. I've been the guy who has borrowed a pen and forgot to return it. Theres also been times when I am in a hurry and I run into people. So basically, dont let the little things bother you, cause probably you've done the same thing to other people.
furtasacra
Thumpercats wrote:
My tip is that you should not get hung up on little things like coutesy. I am sure that we've all had our moments where we just felt someone was being discourteous, but if you think real hard I am sure that every who posted in here has done something discourteous to someone else. I've been the guy who has borrowed a pen and forgot to return it. Theres also been times when I am in a hurry and I run into people. So basically, dont let the little things bother you, cause probably you've done the same thing to other people.

I must disagree. If nobody gets their knickers in a twist about dumb jerks being rude, there's no reason for anybody to learn good manners, and then the human race degenerates into a pack of inconsiderate hairless apes. There are so many alleged human beings running around screaming, belching, and shamelessly scratching their groins in public that they hardly qualify as sentient, much less civilized. I think that ill-mannered behavior should be ruthlessly punished.

I hereby nominate my Aunt Pauline as the Grand Dictator of Good Manners. She and other proper little old ladies of her choosing shall patrol the streets, armed with umbrellas and sharp tongues, and be empowered to chastise anyone who is behaving badly, and beat the crap out of them if they talk back.

I also nominate myself as proper little old lady in training, and my job will be to give atomic wedgies to jackasses running around with the crotch of their pants around their knees.
unknownc1c
haha yeah people are rude all around if they don't think before they speak. I personally hate that all caps person. My friend allison feels the same way, why talk in all caps? even if your trying to stress a point or argue, you don't need all caps to do it. I won't even read anything if it's all in caps.
saratdear
furtasacra wrote:
Thumpercats wrote:

I must disagree. If nobody gets their knickers in a twist about dumb jerks being rude, there's no reason for anybody to learn good manners, and then the human race degenerates into a pack of inconsiderate hairless apes. There are so many alleged human beings running around screaming, belching, and shamelessly scratching their groins in public that they hardly qualify as sentient, much less civilized. I think that ill-mannered behavior should be ruthlessly punished.

I hereby nominate my Aunt Pauline as the Grand Dictator of Good Manners. She and other proper little old ladies of her choosing shall patrol the streets, armed with umbrellas and sharp tongues, and be empowered to chastise anyone who is behaving badly, and beat the crap out of them if they talk back.

I also nominate myself as proper little old lady in training, and my job will be to give atomic wedgies to jackasses running around with the crotch of their pants around their knees.

And I must disagree too, about the part which I have made in bold. What if that "bad" behaviour was just an accident? Granted, that accidents like that shouldn't happen, but everyone makes mistakes. Wouldn't beating the crap out of someone if you do not have the authority to do so count as discourtesy? And it is to be noted, that I am not referring to your example in the first paragraph of your post about people who scratch their you-know-wheres. I would have to compliment you on your lively description. Razz

Things that people do that commonly piss me off are :

1. Completely ignoring me when I am trying to speak to them.
2. Not taking my opinions into consideration by saying that I am a kid.
apple
I also get ticked off but I don't let it bother me all the time. I just make sure that I don't do what others are doing and thus become what I dislike.
Afaceinthematrix
I get annoyed when people don't give a simple "please" and "thank you." I won't do anything for anyone (unless I have to because my boss is requiring it at work, or something along that line) without a please before I do it. And if they don't say thank you after, I consider not doing favors for them in the future. I also don't like it when people play their music loud, with the windows down and the bass up. I don't mind you destroying your ear drums, but why do you have to make me listen to your music?
Nameless
Not that being polite isn't a good thing, but overreacting to somebody not doing what you would consider polite makes you IMHO far more rude and annoying that the other person. Also annoying - people who are too polite. I'm sure most people will know somebody who apologises after every little thing whether it's their fault or not, or frequently thanks you for trivial things.

Moral of the story: Let's no go overboard, people.
Insanity
I agree; a lot of times people just tend to forget, or are in a hurry. It happens to everyone, even yourself. When you take into account the unique number of people to run into on a daily basis, you start seeing the odds of such an incident happening to you. That's not saying that everyone who is rude to you does it unintentionally, but that it happens more often than you think.

I think one of the more frustrating things about these incidents is that it's widespread across society. If it was someone you knew (family, friend, etc), you can easily communicate with them what's wrong. If your roommate always leaves dirty dishes in the sink or never takes out the trash, the problem can be solved. But honestly, what can you do when it seems like everyone does it?
tidruG
saratdear wrote:
Things that people do that commonly piss me off are :

1. Completely ignoring me when I am trying to speak to them.
2. Not taking my opinions into consideration by saying that I am a kid.
Aw you're just a kid... you have a lot to learn. Razz

Nameless wrote:
Not that being polite isn't a good thing, but overreacting to somebody not doing what you would consider polite makes you IMHO far more rude and annoying that the other person. Also annoying - people who are too polite. I'm sure most people will know somebody who apologises after every little thing whether it's their fault or not, or frequently thanks you for trivial things.
Excellent point!

There are quite a few things which get my goat. For one thing, I have to travel by bus to college everyday, a ride that takes more than an hour one way. What I find annoying is that when people start falling asleep when they're sitting beside me, their heads loll over into my shoulder or right in front of my face, or they lean onto me. The reason this bugs me so much is because I hate waking them up, because I know how irritating it is to have someone wake you up.

Apart from that, I generally don't react when people don't act courteous with me. However, it DOES set an impression about people, you know.
PatTheGreat42
I didn't used to think that common courtesy was a big thing. But lately I've been making a special effort to do the small talk thing, ya know "Hi, how are you?" "Fine, how are you?" "Not too bad..." etc.

Now it really pisses me off when people don't say hi back, dagnabbit.
mina
I think common courtesy is a thing lost on a lot of people. I swear some people just don't get it.

Or if they do, they assume that everyone is going to be courteous to them, while they are a jerk right to your face.

The thing that always got me, and still does, is the way that people assume that workers at a store have answers to every single question you could ask about products in the store. I used to work at Target, and I'd often get a person asking for some obscure item that I had no way of knowing what it was, let alone where it would be, and I would have to find someone else to ask where it could be, and the person would get ridiculously angry with the fact that I didn't know that store up and down. Really, I knew quite a bit about the store, but come on. It's impossible to memorize everything, especially when they keep moving things around!

People are so inconsiderate to their service workers. Sad
erlendhg
I agree that one should not overreact, but sometimes when a thing happens several times, I must say that is annoying.

What really annoys me the most, is when you try to speak with someone by calling their name, and they don't answer, and you try to say their name several times with a pause inbetween every time (so you won't seem rude), and they still don't answer you.
molif
i have a few..

- just charge in without letting the passengers alighting 1st when the subway' door slides open..

- you are just being nice and say good morning to a fellow stranger(u r working in a service sector) yet the stranger ignore ur greeting..

- it is a crowded walkway and someone just bang you on ur shoulder and walks off without saying a simple apology..

- someone in front of u opens a swinging door and just let it slam onto ur face..

- someone pees in the public swimming pool and there are other ppl swimming in it, without knowing tt he is peeing..

- lazy to dispose food packaging such as plastic wrappers etc and left it in the park..

- while you were making out with ur girl in the park, a couple purposely having sex in public 50 meters away from you, on purpose..
minty
I would have to say that I try to always use my manners, especially when I am trying to get somewhere or get something. Even when I am in a hurry. I constantly remind myself that no one else knows that I am in a hurry, therefore they are not going to move to the side just to let me through.

One of my biggest pet-peeves is when I am ignored as if I am not there. Numerous times I need to get through a few people and I simply say "Excuse me" and no one bothers to even look at me. I raise my voice a little bit more and still nothing. I normally do this a couple of times, until finally I just barge through. This happens mainly in crowded walkways and public sectors.

I do agree that you should not overreact to these situations, however, everyone has their boiling point to where they will explode. I do think that society, all across the world, would be much better if we were more polite to one another. For instance, my g/f tells me to do things now and again, and I just stare at her blankly until she says please or she gets upset and does it herself. If she would have just said plz it would have been over and done with, without anyone getting upset.

Just my two cents!
--minty
Stevezorr
It really peeves me off when someone is rude like those examples you have written. One that really annoys me is when you're being nice and helpful to someone and they yell at you or are just plan rude in a different manner.
tidruG
minty wrote:
One of my biggest pet-peeves is when I am ignored as if I am not there. Numerous times I need to get through a few people and I simply say "Excuse me" and no one bothers to even look at me. I raise my voice a little bit more and still nothing. I normally do this a couple of times, until finally I just barge through. This happens mainly in crowded walkways and public sectors.

I always try to make sure I'm heard the first time. Sometimes, I tap them on the shoulder, other times, I speak loud enough the first time, expecting them not to be able to hear me the first time.
Sephy22
first off, why are you calling it common courtesy? For the longest time I've always called it UNcommon courtesy. :p cause there's nothing common about it.

Me, I always try to be polite, I know that I can't claim to always being polite, but I try. I just think about when someone(being a stranger) is actually really polite, it would usually just make my day. Likewise I'm sure it would make someone's day, at least one person's, if I'm polite to them.
CaffeinatedCandy
I do think that some inconsiderate jerks need to take a remedial course in common courtesy.

However, before you berate someone or whatever you're going to do about it, you may want to ensure that it's justified. For instance, this one time, I was starting to get on a bus while a lady was just turning the corner to get out. I was about twelve at the time, this lady was probably fortyish or fifty. She seemed to feel the need to make the inconsiderate child standing before her apologize for nearly running into her (because apparently at twelve you still need to be chastised as if you were a naughty little three year old).

I mumbled a half-arsed "sorry", however this lady was wrong in two of the things she did: First off, the transit system has at least one ad on each bus saying "please exit through the back door", and the bus drivers often tell you to do so as well (often enough that anyone who regularly takes public transportation should know better when someone's trying to get on). Secondly, during the telling me off portion of this incident, the lady was standing right on the bottom step of the bus, blocking any other passengers that wanted to get on or off of the bus.

The worst part is, I have had to deal with this type of person on and off for most of my life, and aside from the barely pubescent child of the opposite sex who has a massive stalker crush on you, they are the absolute most annoying sort of person (I'm about tenth on that list, though: the person with no life who makes vaguely misanthropic lists of types of people Razz)
j_f_k
possibly this topic should be labelled common courtesy or lack thereof,

Well in merry england we don't have this problem - so no experience there can't imagine what its look to be around discourteous people. - not -

Case in point, one time my wife and I were taking the JFK jnrs back frm somewhere on the tube. Wife was holding the youngest of the JNR's (Then aged about 1) moved to sit down in the last seat when some ugly fat sucker goes and pushes in front of her to take the seat.

Then there are the investment banker types (incidentally the collective pronoun for bankers is a 'wunch' - as in 'a wunch of bankers') that think they own the footpath and like to walk 2-3 abreast and take up the entire width of the path - irrespective of people wanting to go the other way.
ScarfaceJ87
Most of my pet hates are about driving

One of the main ones down to common courtesy is when you pull over to let someone through on a one track road or something like that, an the person you let through doesnt even acknowledge the fact you have done it.

I ALWAYS say thank you to someone who has let me go, and when someone moves over to let me past on my bike I make sure they know I appreciate it.

Even just a nod or a wave, I would be happy.
KatanaSky
I think that the majority of people are courteous but the handful that don't practice common courtesy can really spoil people's days - I mean, yeah... we can just choose to shrug it off and just not be bothered but it's hard sometimes.

When I do come across people like that I just try to give them the benefit of the doubt ...like, maybe they are just having a bad day - or they're just not happy with their lives. All you can really do is wish them well I think.

...or flip them off - like that one guy in the news who was being tail gated so he tapped on the breaks. The tail gaiter went around but actually he didn't flip him off - he shot him twice . ...but that's besides the subject - that's like... wayyy beyond uncommon courtesy. Here's a link to the story if anyone is interested - Two jailed after Fort Worth road rage incident
uuuuuu
Now, here's something to think about, if you think you may be close to losing all your faith in humanity.

In my experience, people taken individually are all exceptional, and all wonderful... but people taken generally are vile, degraded, and not worth the dust they're made from...

Now, the problem is how do you take the good stuff that comes from people individually, and disregard all the bad stuff that comes from humanity generally?

Take a clue from Robert J. Hanlon, who says:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

What I think this means, is that people aren't bad, they're (we're) just stupid.

We're not considerate of each other because we can barely figure our own stuff out, let alone being considerate of others, and generally conscientious.

So, the next time I cut you off in traffic (I think I'm a terrific driver but I'm sure I've done it before and I'll do it again), remember, I don't hate you, I'm just dumb!

Say hi to your mom for me,

Love,

Uwe
raaeft1
sometimes,even family members do no show common courtesies and they are downright rude.but, this may be due to their not feeling well or being depressed.

at least, one must offer a glass of water, if not tea, to people,even strangers,who come to your home.
Arnie
KatanaSky wrote:
I'm sure there's more... ..what do you guys have?
People ranting about stuff like this while they're not perfect themselves either. Improve the world, start with the others, right?

Sure I agree some of the things mentioned in this thread aren't nice, but what is "common" courtesy? You can take all the standard, well-defined examples (as seen here) and yes, you have a point with those. But then there is a large grey area that I've seen enough people (women, actually) abuse so as to force others (men, mostly) into doing what they want, because otherwise they'll portray them as insensitive brutes etc.

Example: see the top def. of feminist on urbandictionary.
friuser
LOl. hold on arnie. All katanasky said has happened to me ALL THE TIME. Also let me tell you, Stealing parking spots while you are waiting in the mall, it's always women and they reasoned cause I didn't turn my signal light on?! Coincidently it's always women where I am that does all the things listed by katanasky.

But I hear you arnie. From where I am all the ladies are sexist. Very abusive most of the time but it depends on where you live.
Ennex
I agree, I find a majority of people these days lack giving the courtesy of general things, from hi, how are you? to, saying sorry when bumping into you.

Just in general, people give you the biggest evils just making a simple human error or not even saying thank you for doing something good for them or someone else, I don't want a thank you but it's nice to receive one. It just annoys me when it comes to general consideration of someone else people are way too busy with their own personal shortcomings...damn you.

Meh, but for all of you that do have some normality, GOOD WORK! *and no im not shouting in the virtual world Razz *

Ennex
medievalman26
Yes, I agree as well. Common courtesy has almost disappeared in today’s society. Fortunately there a some (like me) who still use it. Although, I do most times get stuck at a door because I was holding it open. Mostly, I see the most common courtesy from the Boy Scouts program. I am an Eagle Scout so I know that it is something that they teach all boys from the second they attend their first meeting. Still I have had people essentially slam doors in my face because they were holding it for someone they were with and decided to let go at the <sarcasm>perfect</sarcasm> moment. If you live in California that parking thing of spot stealing happens at least twice a day. Most people never say excuse me anymore when they are trying to get through a mob of people. They instead just bump into you and act like you are the idiot who hit them. There are plenty of other issues with common courtesy, or rather the lack there of, that are apparent.
KatanaSky
...just a few more:

- Talking to someone on the phone then hearing them talk to someone on their side without ask you to hold on.

- People asking you a question then turn away or interrupt without hearing your full answer

- People who continue to look at their computer monitor while you're speaking to them.
Arnie
Those seem more like things that you find annoying without a valid reason. I bet you do stuff like that too, but without feeling you're doing anything wrong. Because there are plenty of valid reasons to do each of the three, especially in today's performance-oriented society.

Except that when you're the one whose "exclusive right to attention" is being "violated", you apparently aren't able to see that the other may have valid motives. This is illustrated by your choice of words:
Quote:
[You are] talking to someone on the phone then hearing them talk to someone on their side without ask you to hold on.
This is from your perspective and quite ignoring their's.

Believe me, you're not the only one with a busy life. It can be annoying when people do stuff like that all the time, but it's not like they enjoy having to talk to multiple people at once all day, do they?
goutha
Keep the door open to people following you.

Say good morning, good night, etc. to people that you meet in your neighborhood.
gaajula
Some things that annoy me:

1. When you go to the movies, I understand that people like to have some space to add to their privacy. However, some people block the seats next to them on purpose so as to have nobody there. This is annoying when you are as a couple and are trying to find some good seats and not have to sit all the way in the front.

2. You are at a restaurant/fast food place and people are grabbing a whole lot more paper napkins than they would possibly use and leave them around in the end. This is a colossal waste of resources. Ever wondered why people have no problem using the ONE Napkin that Subway gives. That is about all we need.
SpellcasterDX
Nameless wrote:

Yea I hate that, too. I have a friend who's like that. She's a bit TOO nice.
zjosie729
I share a lot of these feelings you have but I realize that you just can't expect too much of people. Follow your own set of standards with yourself, and forgive other people when they don't. That's what I do. It feels better when you forgive people and don't make it a big deal.
KatanaSky
zjosie729 wrote:
I share a lot of these feelings you have but I realize that you just can't expect too much of people. Follow your own set of standards with yourself, and forgive other people when they don't. That's what I do. It feels better when you forgive people and don't make it a big deal.

Nicely said! I've realized this as well... whenever someone cuts me off on the road or something I just say - hey, maybe they're just having a bad day.

...thing is with people who feel that they NEED to go 15 more passed the speed limit and cuts off people - and they don't consider that they are not the only one that needs to get somewhere.

Being angry is just a waste of energy - learn some patience, and if you're always late, learn time management.
nilsmo
Without a doubt, common courtesy is important in a society. The weak social links hold masses of people together just like the weakest force (gravity) holds our planet and its solar system together (wow I just made that comparison up Smile )
standready
KatanaSky wrote:

Borrowing a pen or pencil and not giving it back (it's small but still annoying!)

Borrowing anything and not giving it back. I have lost more items to my inconsiderate neighbors. I can stand having to go my things when I need them if they can figure out what they did with it. Now, when ask for something I reply "Sorry, I loaned it out and never got it back".
Guelila
what really makes me angry is how people try to push and rush in a subway train without letting those who need to get off first.
I once missed a station where I had to get off because of all the people pushing their way in without letting people out first. Mad
JBotAlan
standready wrote:
Borrowing anything and not giving it back.

Yeahh...if I could get all the dollars back I loaned out I would be a rich man. But I got wise and quit loaning people money...

On a tangent, don't loan people anything you can't afford to lose...

Holding doors, saying please and thank you, and keeping the conversation balanced 50/50 are all very important in my mind. Sure, they may not seem significant at all, but they do make a difference--they tend to color the way people think of you. It's a little bit of effort that goes a long way.

JBot
deanhills
This is a good posting. There are many things that irritate me too, and then afterwards I get irritated by myself for being irritated, as of course it does not help to be irritated, but I am anyway Smile

I am being served at a counter, somebody else pushes in, and instead of the attendant telling that person to wait a minute, or to line up with everyone else, the attendant attends to that person, without asking me whether it is OK to do, or just plain ignoring me.

Automatic phone answering systems. I hate waiting without knowing how long I am going to wait. I love systems where they tell you approx. what the waiting time will be. But more often they don't. Like PayPal's, where you go right round in circles, and finally arrive at a live voice, just to discover that that person cannot really help you. I had to phone PayPal as I could not pay my E-Bay bid as when I registered with them my bid exceeded their minimum amount (that I only discovered AFTER I had registered), lots of bureacratic nonsense, but tried to deregister, and then went into a loop. By that time I was so much fuming that I had become determined to be deregistered before I went to bed, hence the need for phone calls. I ended up talking to a supervisor, who after a barrage from me, finally succeeded to deregister me. The attendant did not have the power to help me. Customer service was as full of bureacratic nonsense as the registration process. Paypal has a very self-serving system.

Walking on the pavement and people walking right at you so that you have to make way. Aggressively. Why can't people keep to the rule of keeping right? Also no need to be aggresive.

Failing to line up and pushing and congregating instead. I sometimes wonder at why people have to be so impatient that they cannot line up properly and keep their own space. Some have this tendency of squashing up against your back, or even in front of you. Sometimes happens at supermarkets as well.

Talking on cell phones in public places like busses. I think it is OK if someone answers a cell phone call in a public place, but then it should be short and to the point. Pet hate to have to listen to a booming top of the voice personal conversation that goes on and on and on and on ......

Being in the company of someone and they answer their cell phone as though you are not there anymore. That is usually my quick exit cue.

Being with someone in an office, and someone else enters and a conversation starts up and continues with no acknowledgment to your presence, in fact you get completely ignored. That is when I smile politely and exit fast.

Being with someone in an office, and someone else enters and they talk in a different language that you do not understand, and also as though you are not there.

When I am on a business call in the office and someone appears in the doorway and starts talking, and even when they notice you are on the phone continue talking as though you need to attend to them. Wish I had some foam objects that I can throw at them at that time.

People eating loudly in public. I.e. crunching away on potato chips with smacking lips, or slurping coffee. Also messy eaters who eat with crumbs flying all over the place.

People who litter lawns with cigarette butts. They should go into the trash can.

People who smoke in toilets. Yuck!
KatanaSky
deanhills wrote:

Walking on the pavement and people walking right at you so that you have to make way. Aggressively. Why can't people keep to the rule of keeping right? Also no need to be aggresive.

oh is this a universally understood thing? it weird because sometimes i find myself moving and the other person moves in the direction and usually we end up just laughing (or rather pushing each other playfully with friends/family) funny how that is sometimes.

Quote:
People who smoke in toilets. Yuck!

wow.. people do that? how awkward! most places around here have a smoking ban so I've never encountered that situation.

...but yeah, how annoying some things can be! ...as always though, we must learn to just move on. It's great to know we're not alone though! Smile
James_Hicks
Screw people. Manners went out the door when "Leave It To Beaver" was canceled. That's just hear/say because I wasn't around back then but really, people are not neighbors anymore so the lack of respect doesn't exist. So since fellowship in communities is extinct, I just mind my own business and if someone is rude to me I just blow it off. Who cares what they think? I don't let them get the best of me. I just smile or laugh at their plight or attempt to ruin my day. In the end, I'm the one armed to the teeth with a stock of nonperishable food. I hope they enjoy this upcoming Great Depression.
deanhills
James_Hicks wrote:
Screw people. Manners went out the door when "Leave It To Beaver" was canceled. That's just hear/say because I wasn't around back then but really, people are not neighbors anymore so the lack of respect doesn't exist. So since fellowship in communities is extinct, I just mind my own business and if someone is rude to me I just blow it off. Who cares what they think? I don't let them get the best of me. I just smile or laugh at their plight or attempt to ruin my day. In the end, I'm the one armed to the teeth with a stock of nonperishable food. I hope they enjoy this upcoming Great Depression.

Sounds like a good philosophy to me. Possibly you are right, fellowship is extinct, and that part in us that sets us up for taking things personally is the presumption of that fellowship. Sort of what they teaches us at school and never seems to be there when we get out in the real world.

Are you serious about the "upcoming Great Depression", and what nonperishable food are you stocking? Interested to know why you would think there is a depression coming?
Afaceinthematrix
Nameless wrote:

Sometimes being too polite is annoying. When I was growing up and my parents made me go to church, there would always be people at the door waiting to shake everyones' hands and greet them. I would run in with my hands in my pocket and head down. A lot of times people would STILL shake my hand and greet me and all that. I thought I was always making it extremely clear that I don't want to touch any of them... but these people were just too polite. Now don't get me wrong... I have no problem with shaking hands. But when I was having to go to church, I would just want to hurry and get in and find my seat so that I can proceed to falling asleep.