FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can someone recommend me an Mp3 Player?

KatanaSky
I've owned a Creative Zen Vision M, and messed with a friend's Zune. ...and I've played with an Ipod as well.

What I liked about my Zen was that it held A LOT of music/videos ...and it was smallish/cute. I was also able to use it as a portable drive and voice recorder. ...but it broke on me (won't turn on) ...and their customer support stinks. Sad

What I liked about the Zune... it had a large screen, I liked the layout, and it holds a lot of files as well. What I didn't like was the software and how you had to manage everything though it.

What I like about the Ipod 30GB is the layout... it's small, hold a lot - but I do not like the fact that accessories cost so much and you practically have to buy everything separately.

Do you own an mp3 player? What are its pros and cons? What would you recommend?
ciureanuc
KatanaSky wrote:
Do you own an mp3 player? What are its pros and cons? What would you recommend?

iPod nano2... silver 2Gb. I like it. Pro: small, long lasting battery, easy to charge.
Cons: if you copy an mp3 on it you don't have the possibility to use it elsewhere - and THIS IS WRONG; the volume is not so good (if you are on a busy street it's possible not to hear the music... or I am deaf Smile )
Diablosblizz
I own a iPod Classic - 80 GB. It's great for music and movies. I've never bought anything over the iTunes Store. All my movies I have on DVD so I just ripped that (not sure if it's illegal, but I purchased the video).

KatanaSky wrote:
What I like about the Ipod 30GB is the layout... it's small, hold a lot - but I do not like the fact that accessories cost so much and you practically have to buy everything separately.

What type of accessories are you thinking of? I got a TV output connector that allows me to stream my iPod videos to my TV, which can be wonderful if your in a car with a television, or out at camping trips, though that was around $50 CAN but it was well worth it.

Also, my iPod has great sound, I can have it where I don't hear anything around me, and it's not even full blast. Beware though, if you do listen to your music on FULL blast (top notch, no volume limit) then your going to want to buy another set of headphones, top of the line headphones.

----------------

If you don't feel like purchasing a iPod (cause they can be costly), and you don't want anything "extra", then just buy any old MP3 player and get better headphones. My older MP3 player was a Nextar MA566 which was a 2GB. It held what I needed, but you'll need to get better headphones, unless your fine with the current ones.

----------------

I guess it all depends on preference, I like the iPod because of it's style, sound and size. But, my older MP3 player did me just fine, except for the videos.

I hope you find some useful tips and enjoy a MP3 player that fits to your needs!

---

Edit: Have you tried plugging your Zen into your computer, backing up all the files and deleting them to clear it up? If that doesn't work, then your battery may have died, try going to the place where you bought it (or BestBuy or something like that) and ask if they can see what is wrong with it. It may be better than buying a new MP3 player, and will probably save you a lot of money.
KatanaSky
I ended up getting a SanDisk Sansa e250 (2GB). I actually really like it. If you're looking for something that you are going to use primarily for music - and if you don't need a great capacity this I'd totally recommend this player.

This player has mixed reviews but I think it just really depends on individuals' specific preference/needs. I just wanted something that will hold my music and will allow me to easily drag new music and something I can use as a flash drive for documents and such without requiring me to install any thing.
aningbo
i dont have this thing in me that would make me carry my cell phone and then an mp3 player and then a video player and then a pendrive and then my wallet and also a handkerchief and also my room keys...

i prefer just a simple cellphone with mp3/3gp/mp4 support and a good memory. of course its not a 30GB player bt still i wont be listening the whole day... lol
Kelcey
I stick with the smaller players. That is, like 3-4 years ago, 512 MB. With my listening habits, I really don't need more than say 30 songs on my player at once. I usually love a group of songs and then get sick of them. And I have no problem switching songs in and out. I typically use my mp3 player for exercising. I currently use a Creative Muvo.
surdy
KatanaSky wrote:
I ended up getting a SanDisk Sansa e250 (2GB). I actually really like it. If you're looking for something that you are going to use primarily for music - and if you don't need a great capacity this I'd totally recommend this player.

This player has mixed reviews but I think it just really depends on individuals' specific preference/needs. I just wanted something that will hold my music and will allow me to easily drag new music and something I can use as a flash drive for documents and such without requiring me to install any thing.

I have the same player for an year now. Got it quite cheap in a deal. It was worth every dollar.
It perfectly suits my needs as it pretty small in size and has enough capacity for songs i need at a time. Plus i can simply drag and drop music without the trouble of synchronizing with i-tunes or something and the FM is a definitely a plus in this.
bri4n5
Today I'm going to buy a Sandisk Sansa m230 512Mb in just $20 it's doesn't have a great capacity but thats enough for me. Shocked the battery lasts 19 hrs Shocked
Arnie
I recommend an MP3 player that is basically a USB stick with a small display, a mini-jack port and a play button. Advantages:
- Much cheaper
- Much lighter and smaller
- Can't lose the connection cable and charger because it's all through the embedded USB plug
- Flash memory so you can drop it without breaking a delicate harddisk
- You don't look like a total prick who's showing off with his MP3 player
- Can be used as a file storage device - although iPods and the like support this, they're unpractical

Disadvantages:
- Flash memory goes up to 32 GB, harddisks can hold more (but who the **** takes over 20 GB of MP3's with him anyway)
- To charge you need a computer with USB port or an active hub / special USB charger
petesam
I think the in built mp3 player that came with my N70 is just fine... Laughing
Arnie
As long as you use it with earphones instead of blasting at full volume in a public area.
ForceRun
I like the Zen, the Video playback for say the Simpsons is great. For myself I have a BalckJack II It works as my MP3 Player/Movie Player/Phone/and PDA
Jaan
It depends what you need.
If you're a purist like me I would suggest an ipod shuffle, latest generation.. it'll run you around 20-50 on ebay. well worth it though - tiny size, decent sound quality.
However, I would definitely throw away the headphones that come with ANY mp3 player as they are ****!!! If you can afford it, get Shure, or if you're low on cash just pick up some sony earbuds....

Good luck, and make sure to get those new earphones.
bigdan
KatanaSky wrote:

I get most of my accessories for my 30GB iPod from eBay. A heck of a lot cheaper than official Apple accessories and they do the exact same thing. I've got a new FM radio remote and screen protector on order as we speak.
Ghengis
My wife got a Sansa, but had stability issues and returned it. We got her a Creative Zen V 8GB, and she couldn't be happier. It's rechargeable from a standard mini-B USB port, holds tons of songs, and is *tiny*. I guess it's down to what you need -- if you can stand a (relatively) big, heavy player like a full-size iPod or Zune or Zen Vision, I personally would like to have the big screen and movie playing ability. If you *only* want to listen to music, something small with a bright color screen like the Zen V fits the bill quite well.
indianinworld
iPod is good and you say that it is good. But i see that you have also commented, you dont want to go for iPod because of the prices of the accessories.

Probably you can give a try with SanDisk. If you are not satisfied with Audio Quality of the ear plugs from the package, then buy a branded headphone / ear plug as per your wish.
Jaan
I'm still a purist.
Ipod shuffle. OR no ipod.