FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To be afraid of heights

arquivo
Some months ago i was in "beto carrero world" a kind of disney world here in south of Brazil, there´s a tower with 100 meters from the floor, then you sit in a small seat go up, and stop... still there for few second´s ( like few hours for me ) and suddenly... downnnnnnnn... this moment is the worst, i want scream and a cant, i want leave and i cant, i want cry...ok, cry is too much...
When it´s over, i look at my girlfriend and she tell me... so soft was this toy, dont you think?

yeah, i think only who have afraid of heights can understand...
doppleganger
yeah man i can understand

same thing happened with me

me and my girlfriend had gone to an amusement park n sat in one of the bungee jump kinda rides and i was so scared

later she asks me abt it and says what is it to be scared abt

so i can understand what state u were in
smspno
I am afraid of heights. I am constantly trying to overcome this fear, but I always end up passing out. Frankly speaking, I have no idea why I always go up the towers etc. since I always have difficulties on the top Razz.
achowles
I used to be very afraid of heights. So I can relate to that. I'm alright not just so long as it's safe now. There's no way you'd get me to go up a ladder or anything like that though. No way. Theme park rides aren't so bad though anymore.
KatanaSky
I used to think that I was afraid of heights but realized that it wasn't so much the height that scared me, it's that 'falling' feeling that gets me.

I can go to the top floor of a tower building and enjoy the view, perhaps climb a mountain if given the opportunity, and all that... but even just the thought of going on a roller-coaster or any of those high dropping "amusement" rides terrify me.

They say that if you scream and let your hands fly into the air while dropping you won't feel your insides so much and it won't be so scary - I still have yet to try it though.
missdixy
Oh God I would have probably had a panic attack and/or passed out.
Mad I am very afraid of heights like that. You're brave, man!
Thumpercats
I have a fear of hieghts, but I think thinking that I have a fear of hieghts actually makes me afraid of heights... I believe that once you label yourself with something in your own mind, then you really do become it or do it. So I've labeled myself afraid of heights, and thus I am. I remeber growing up being afraid of spiders. I wanted to get over this fear and so I would sit next to a spider, and then let daddy long legs walk over my hands. I go over my fear of spiders by being exposed to it. Maybe we all need to go skydiving or something!
saratdear
I can't say I'm terribly afraid of heights or anything; but if I've been on a ride that made me twist and turn and all that, after getting off, even looking up would dizzy me. Embarassed
SilverWater
I can also relate. Im freakin petrified of heights! There is a ride at "Paramount's Carrowinds" in NC that is similar to the one described in the leading post, called Drop Zone. I thought I was going to die. Being an asthmatic and afraid for your very life isn't a good combination. I lost my voice and all hope of ever getting on that ride again.
d5c4b3
i know how you feel but ive never went on a ride like that
Idoru
Actually, going on such a ride can be good for you. For me, that's how I got my heigth-problem under controll.
When I was younger, in my teens, I went to Gibraltar. There we did some climbing, and I can promise there
are some classic 'panic-views'. Laughing Like sitting on a ledge with just a long way to fall, straight on rocks where
the ocean washes up.

Well, the thing is, after that climb, there is nothing that gets scarier about heights, so I guess I can say that was
kind of a cure for me. Smile
Perhaps not for everyone, but defenitley worth trying. So, face your fears and live a more complete life, instead of
skipping out on parts. Mabye it will surprise you!
blinx
On their own, heights are no problem for me, but height and speed is scary. Excpet roller coasters, they're just fun Very Happy
hofodomo01
Ya, even if I know I can't fall or anything, I proceed with *much caution and VERRRY slowly* around high places Smile
tempdbs
arquivo wrote:
Some months ago i was in "beto carrero world" a kind of disney world here in south of Brazil, there´s a tower with 100 meters from the floor, then you sit in a small seat go up, and stop... still there for few second´s ( like few hours for me ) and suddenly... downnnnnnnn... this moment is the worst, i want scream and a cant, i want leave and i cant, i want cry...ok, cry is too much...
When it´s over, i look at my girlfriend and she tell me... so soft was this toy, dont you think?

yeah, i think only who have afraid of heights can understand...

Too good dude..!

Don't laugh at me - I am not afreaid of statis heights... but too scared for the heights which are in motion...! Like jaint wheel peaks also.....!
crimson_aria
It scares me when I look down below. My knees begin to feel weak. It's no problem getting high up but it's a different thing when I look straight down and see the distance. I don't know, but I can't help but imagine myself falling. Scary.
Stevezorr
I am only somewhat afraid of heights, but I can understand the fear at that moment. You just lose all control and wish you could stop it from going down, and it just feels so frightening until it is all over. I hate it.
tony
I am also afraid of heights so i can also completely understand your situation. Do not worry - you are not alone! I think there are many of us, maybe more than not are afraid of heights. i figure more people are afraid of heights than any other phobia/fear... Does anyone know?

I feel like to find a study to see that but I do not know where to look. For me it would be quite interesting to see how people have their fears. I am afraid of heights though!
j_f_k
know what you mean - that ride is the most frightening - violent roller coaster rides are nothing - I get terrified at the top - not because of the anticipation of going down fast - but simply because of the vertigo.

That drop is the worst (I've not been to Brazil but they have these in Europe) becase the seat you're sitting in seems exposed - more exposed than a roller coaster where you at least feel protected by the carriages in front and behind you.
standready
I am not afraid of heights especially when I know I am in a safe environment. I am not afraid of falling. I am afraid of that sudden stop which occurs at the end of a fall.
ashish2005
I'm not that afraid of heights. Here in my country we do not have big buildings. The highest building I climbed was around 10 storeys I guess and looking down from that building was not scary at all. Then when I went hiking I climbled up to a height of upto 2200 metres and that height was not that scary too. It was a little bit scary but not that frightening for me.
banzilla
I like heights!
jhamz
I have fear in heights...
PatTheGreat42
Fear of heights is weird. Being at any height is like being at any other height. Except with a different potential energy. Which, depending on your perspective, is kind of important.

Which brings me to mountains. They're pretty and fun to camp on.
ankitdatashn
I agree with you, only the sufferer can understand the pain(umm not pain exactly but still), I have watched those amusement park rides on discovery channel and I think the speed much be quite killing and when you reach at the topmost position you might at a time think that if the swing was to get broken then what would happen. many of the people might even faint or vomit. that's why i guess old and weak hearted people are not allowed there.

I would though luv to get on this ride sometimes in future, also that rollercoaster must be too good, assume the speed is so fast that even if something has fallen by a person in topmost position he might get it back when the rollercoaster comes down zooming by..!!
LostOverThere
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Fear of heights is weird. Being at any height is like being at any other height. Except with a different potential energy. Which, depending on your perspective, is kind of important.

Which brings me to mountains. They're pretty and fun to camp on.

Hah, man you make us sound so chicken. Razz

I'm scared of heights, I dunno. Just whenever I'm not securely attached to something I get this really sick horrid feeling. Yeah, it sucks.
tidruG
I used to have Vertigo. So every time I got to the edge of a building, I'd feel slightly giddy.
Strangely, at the same time, I also had mild Anxiety Disorder and Claustrophobia, so I took Homoeopathy for all of them, and now I can handle heights a little better than I used to.
DEVLiN
Its funny, i am not afraid of hights like 300m but 3-5m above the ground on a ladder kill me literally Very Happy
Thumpercats
I am afraid of hieghts, and you will never see my butt on that ride! humans were not meant to leave the ground. Same thing with airplanes... Anything that requeries FOUR engines to stay in the air is not supposed to be up there. Just an accident waiting to happen!
Ghost Rider103
I have never really been affraid of heights, so I don't completely know what that is like, but I can still relate.

I guess just keep trying to face your fears, and maybe eventually you will get used to it. But I am sure it's hard, but there has to be some way to overcome that fear of heights.
Winson
I'm not scared of heights as long as I don't have to jump off..or fall.

I've tried a similar bungee jump thing to the one you had. I almost passed out. Lucky thing is that I'm a girl and therefore I was comfortable screaming, shouting and shredding tears.
the-guide
Fear is one of essential feeling in our life including the fear of height, without fear we will come in danger. However, too much fear is not good for our life too. Just balance it if you can, if not may be you need to consult your doctor and/or psychologist, they can help you.
molif
fear of heights is quite common though.. but some ppl do have severe phobia of heights which they will break down when they happen to be in that situation up there.. but most ppl do get afraid but wont freak out as those are having phobia of heights..
skygaia
when I was young.. I had liked to go up as possible as i can. But when I severed in army, I got accident. it's one of the practice for jumping. I had jumped at 4th floor of the tower. Of course, I had perfect safety equipments. but it's just my thought. I had fallen down ground. my leg was broken. after then.... I got scared of heigts.
TurtleShell
I like being afraid of heights:) It makes airplanes a thrill.
arquivo
Winson wrote:
I'm not scared of heights as long as I don't have to jump off..or fall.

I've tried a similar bungee jump thing to the one you had. I almost passed out. Lucky thing is that I'm a girl and therefore I was comfortable screaming, shouting and shredding tears.

hehehe... it was very funny and smart using your "female side" to get out from that situation...
thejam
When i was a kid i was never affraid for heights, exited at the most. I never had troubles beeing on big heights or traveling by airplane. However since just a few years ago i started to be nervous for take-off/landings or turbulance, i also do not feel comy at all on bigh heights. I was not tramatised in the past, so i really do not know why. Is it possible to develllop a fear of hights at a later age?
Zombie
lol everyones afraid of heights. some people are just more scared than others and they might have a panic attack etc... Myself? I'm just mildly afraid of the height.... its the looking down that gets me
wellerchap
I like to go walking in the mountains...though I don't expose myself to anything too dangerous, I enjoy this sort of thing, clambering over rock towers etc.....great fun.
Off to the right of these people, there's nothing for 200 metres, but the trick is to watch where you're going, not where you will land if you fall !