FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 7.04 sound problems...

Donutey
Specs:
Lenovo 3000 N100 (Centrino Duo)
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

I didn't notice it until recently, but the sound output in Ubuntu is horribly distorted, most noticeably when I have speakers attached (I hadn't noticed the problem because I have been using headphones, although it is somewhat distorted).

Thanks
djclue917
Try upgrading to Ubuntu 7.10. Crappy sound is sometimes caused by the ALSA device drivers. Upgrading to the latest ALSA version sometimes help. But since doing something like that can break things, you might as well just do a full upgrade of Ubuntu.
rockyec78
Actually its all about detecting ur sound card properly, ubuntu can recognise some of the HD audio drivers but not all, so i think it try to use Intel HDA ( or maybe 7.04 dont even uses any HDA) in case it cant recognise the proper driver from its list and then the sound card gives crappy/distorted output.

Try getting 7.10, it might solve the problem and if it still persists, ythen u need to get linux based drivers for the sound card and install them manually.
Ecthelion
I've heard that in the new version that is coming out within a month, they will be using pulseaudio.

That should fix most of the sound problems, and it'll be a great improvement from the old alsa and oss problems.