FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Country music going to crap?

markblu
I'm sorry all you diehard country music fans but I'm sure a lot of you will agree with me on this one too. Has anyone noticed our country music is going to crap? Like I was listening to our local country music station thismorning and heard a song that had the lyrics "My little darling is a firecracker." It goes on to talk about how great his girl is. Well that's fine and dandy but come on, what a comparison. Another song that gets to me is this Craig Morgan guy. "International Harvester." OMG if I hear that song one more time I will probably shoot myself. Don't get me wrong I love country music and I love most everything pre-2000 I guess you could say. Now who here agrees with me that our country music has gone to crap.
liljp617
Always seemed that way since the first time I heard it Very Happy
Gustavus
I like some of the older country... And yes, I agree country now a days is pretty much crap. Smile

Kind of like how I think modern rock (if you can call it that) is crap now a days....

Well... I guess I think all music is pretty much crap now a days.... Very Happy

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of these new bands that came out post-1990
takashiro
um. What does it mean? "go to crap"??
ddukki
Country music has always had a certain vibe around it that was easily accessible. But now, it's like those simple tunes are being mixed in with mainstream music and Country as some people knew it is shot to hell. I'm not a huge fan of Country, but I know that it's underrated. It's just too bad that such a genre of music is being brought down even more by some "artists" who can't seem to understand that music is an art, not a business.
Ankhanu
My advice is to avoid the entire sub-genre of rockin country or pop country. That stuff's been garbage since it was developed. Classic country and say, alt-country (which is heavily influenced by blue grass, country n western, etc) still have their charm.
spinout
Watched the lasted CMA (country music awards) - the country sound wasn't there! The only thing country was a cowboy hat!!!! So if you gonna be a country artist buy a stetson...

But there are some ok players today - but they are smalltimers so you won't see em on CMA.

hm, the best artist this years CMA was a colored guy (doin ray charles in the movies lately), he sang more country than the rest...
kerryworkman
markblu wrote:
I'm sorry all you diehard country music fans but I'm sure a lot of you will agree with me on this one too. Has anyone noticed our country music is going to crap? ....... Now who here agrees with me that our country music has gone to crap.

I don't think that it is contained to just Country music. I think that most, if not all commercial "radio" music has gone far beyond crap. In every style you can name, it dosent matter what time, what day, or what channel, it all sucks. What happened to quality, originality, style, it all seems to be joining together in one big corporately spoonfed melting pot. Things need to return to the old school as far as the music world is concerned. The need to start playing artists because they are good, not just because they are marketable. I really don't care what they look like, that is the whole point of the radio. Razz
spinout
In meanwhile better listen to the collection of webb pierce... or similar like Wynn stewart or lefty frizzell.

But one who keeps the pace fairly is Junior Brown...
HDirtwater
liljp617 wrote:
Always seemed that way since the first time I heard it Very Happy

Couldn't agree more. I actually laughed when I read the title of the thread, and thought "Going to crap? It's already there!" Wink Laughing
spinout
There is actually big differences over 60 years or so! Take a peek n you'll see!
Hm, my mark of crap is after 1965...
mattyj
I hate new country -Its garbage compared to the older stuff

Artists like Hank Williams JR, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, George Jones...Thats REAL country
Afaceinthematrix
Yeah, but it's not just country music. All of the music that is played on the radio seems to be going to crap in my opinion. It's not just country.
Alaskacameradude
It's kinda like movies....appeal to the broadest audience possible.....ever noticed how there seems to be kind of a 'formula' for most movies....when was the last time you saw something that surprised you? Music is kind of getting like that. Country was a niche market, and instead of just trying to appeal to country fans, they decided to try to appeal to everyone....like pop music fans. So they changed the music. Now it doesn't have it's niche appeal anymore, but more casual listeners will listen to it. It's the way mass media and entertainment works in many cases.
bigdan
takashiro wrote:
um. What does it mean? "go to crap"??

It means "it has become terrible".

Therefore, this thread could mean "Has country music become terrible?"

As for my thoughts...some of it is OK, but the old country is the best though. Can't beat Johnny Cash.