FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Linux over windows glued to the hardware

mike_phi
Hi there I have a laptop with windows instaled I was hoping to install fedora on it but windows seems to be glued to the hardware.

here is the situation:

I have the fedora live CD and the fedora DVD containng all the required packages for installation.

I tried just installing fedora and overwrite the windows that is already installed but this is not easy

I inserted the fedoara instalation disk and rebooted the machine everything ran fine and the machine booted of the CD and prompted me with the normal fedora installation IO, requesting me to hit enter at the boot prompt to continue installation.

however when I hit enter it just responds with "cant find kernel"

so my first question is how do I go about installing this and effectively ovwerwritting the windows instalation.

or secondally how do I go about creating a dual boot system : )

the strange thing is I bootted up the pc in windows and opened up a dos comand prompt and even tried "format c:" and even that did nt work it responded with some processes are stil in use thats when I thought wow, somehow the windows instalation seems to be glued to the hardware.

cheers
jontyboy
check on the COA if ur computer came with windows installed it should have the sticker on laptops on the bottom listing the serial of the operating system and the actual Operationg System. If it has an OEM in the name somewhere there is your problem. What that means is that the Operating System is locked onto your computer. A lot of manafacuteres use OEM because there considerably cheaper i mean over $100 US. Try command prompt format C:/ It has to have the slash. First if you have an OEM i think its impossible to even dual boot. But if you dont the Fedora install disk should come with a partitioner so just shrink the main partition to how much you want and install Fedora on the free space thats what you have to do with Ubuntu any way and there both Linux i think..

Hope I Helped Smile
rockyec78
I dont think you can format the drive from which you booted ur windows installation.
You must be having Windows installation on C: drive, so if u try to format C: drive after booting into windows, effectively IT WONT. You can only do this by the OS installation or Recovery diskette( be it floppy,CD, or USB stick).

As far as ur "cant find kernel" problem is, this might be a problem of CD-ROM or some distribution based problem, try some other distributions live CD like Ubuntu(quite popular now a days), Kubuntu, openSuse or any other linux live cd ypu can find or u can try a different CD/DVD of same fedora distro.

Now for Dual booting, if u will be able to install fedora( successfully) without having to remove Windows, then Fedora will also install GRUB Bootloader which can automatically take care of ur dual booting problem by including the entry of any other previously installed OS in the boot menu. And u can tweak all these entries later on too. But if u want to use Windows Boot Manager then u have to play a little during Fedora installation.

Code:
 First, Just try any other live cd/dvd of same(Fedora) or some other linux(Ubuntu, openSUSE etc) distro and see if same happens again
jontyboy
get a new cd if that dosent work its some otha problem.
ezekiel_rage
jontyboy wrote:
check on the COA if ur computer came with windows installed it should have the sticker on laptops on the bottom listing the serial of the operating system and the actual Operationg System. If it has an OEM in the name somewhere there is your problem. What that means is that the Operating System is locked onto your computer. A lot of manafacuteres use OEM because there considerably cheaper i mean over $100 US. Try command prompt format C:/ It has to have the slash. First if you have an OEM i think its impossible to even dual boot. But if you dont the Fedora install disk should come with a partitioner so just shrink the main partition to how much you want and install Fedora on the free space thats what you have to do with Ubuntu any way and there both Linux i think..

Hope I Helped Smile

I disagree. i have installed Linux (Mandriva on 2 DELLs, openSuSE on a DELL, Ubuntu on a Fujitsu, Mandrake on a Toshiba, Bayanihan on the same toshiba) on several laptops that have Windows pre-installed(OEM). There was no problem.

If the OP wants to completely replace windows with linux he should have repartitioned the hard drive and then format the partitions to a linux file system (ext2, ext3, ReiserFS, etc).

Then install the distro of his choice.

Quote:
As far as ur "cant find kernel" problem is, this might be a problem of CD-ROM or some distribution based problem, try some other distributions live CD like Ubuntu(quite popular now a days), Kubuntu, openSuse or any other linux live cd ypu can find or u can try a different CD/DVD of same fedora distro.

I agree on this. this could be due bad media. before you burn/toast your image to your CD-R/DVD recordable you should check itts integrity by doing verifying its checksum. if the checksum of the image does not verify then you have to download it again.

Hope this helps
mike_phi
Thanks allot for all the feedback will certainly take these ideas into account, I have a question with regard to partitioning.

First of all I think the CD's and DVD's are fine as I have the origional CD's of Fedora core 5 which I got with a book I purchased.

any tips as to partitioning the hard drive which tool to use, hopefully I would like to use a utility that comes with the fedora distro i.e. hopefully I already have it on my CD's

thanks again and

cheers
pll
I'd like to get ubuntu on my computer but I have an OEM computer. (I just checked few minutes ago)
Is there anyway to bypass this and get ubuntu in dual boot with windows ?
jeremyp
mike_phi wrote:
Thanks allot for all the feedback will certainly take these ideas into account, I have a question with regard to partitioning.

First of all I think the CD's and DVD's are fine as I have the origional CD's of Fedora core 5 which I got with a book I purchased.

Fedora core 5 is pretty old now. Your problem with "cannot find kernel" is almost certainly because the installer boot loader can't find the install disk or maybe the hard disk and if this is the case, it is because Fedora hasn't got drivers for the hardware. I had exactly this problem with SuSE not long ago. My CD ROM was a SATA device and the installer did not have drivers for a SATA CD ROM. I fixed it by putting the current version of Ubuntu on it instead.

Your first step is to get a current Fedora distribution from here:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

If that fails, try a different distro.

Quote:
any tips as to partitioning the hard drive which tool to use, hopefully I would like to use a utility that comes with the fedora distro i.e. hopefully I already have it on my CD's

On any modern distro, you'll get the opportunity to partition the hard drive as part of the install process. As long as you don't mind losing your Windows, I'd just accept what the installer suggests as a partition scheme.
mike_phi
Hi there all just a bit of feedback with regard to this issue, well for some reason the system could not find the boot disk so I could not get the installation going.

What I did is installed an even older realease, I installed redhat 7.2 : ) which I knew would be bootable as I had did it before and all went well the redhat just wiped my windows worries away and installed perfectly.

I then copied the Fedora Kernel and grub from my dvd to my new redhat instalation and edited the redhat's grub boot file to point out the new grub and kernel once it picked this up it started the installaion and presto

I now have fedora running on my machine : )

it was really the round about way of doing this but it worked out well at the end of the day

cheers
ocalhoun
"Cannot find kernel?"
That's a problem with your CD, nothing to do with windows or your hardware.